Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Baffled by the continued insistence on lightning charging rather than USB-C.
Lightning wouldn't be so much of an issue, if it wasn't also just USB 2.0 and the abysmal transfer speeds. It's more ironic in combination with their "pro" video stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I might go back to normal pro instead of max but I’m afraid I’ll miss my jumbo screen and luxurious battery life.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’m still on the “I want a new toy to place my XS with” train and was hoping several years of cumulative updates would get me to finally bite the bullet but I’m not convinced I’m there yet, even with the Pro model.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
If you are in the US on a postpaid carrier def check on trade in promos , if it’s what is starting ti showing on Apple.com , hopefully they are as good as last years promos (which were really good). They’re looking pretty similar.

Main thing: they’ll all require a 3 year contract (Verizon and ATT) or 2 year contract (I think T-Mobile still does 2 years), so you def have ti be comfortable with that. If you want to do yearly upgrades with trade in, best bet there is probably just Apple directly.

Shameless plug time, as probably a lot of people here know, I work for Big Red in the ordering department. I’ll be working most of Friday and Saturday for preorder , if you need help ordering via Verizon specifically feel free to PM me , and I can offer to call and help you order whatever phones. That said, any questions or issues , I don’t mind answering questions whether someone orders through me or not, it really isn’t a big deal (it’s gonna be a crazy day either way).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Duckman2008 posted:

If you are in the US on a postpaid carrier def check on trade in promos , if it’s what is starting ti showing on Apple.com , hopefully they are as good as last years promos (which were really good). They’re looking pretty similar.

Main thing: they’ll all require a 3 year contract (Verizon and ATT) or 2 year contract (I think T-Mobile still does 2 years), so you def have ti be comfortable with that. If you want to do yearly upgrades with trade in, best bet there is probably just Apple directly.

Shameless plug time, as probably a lot of people here know, I work for Big Red in the ordering department. I’ll be working most of Friday and Saturday for preorder , if you need help ordering via Verizon specifically feel free to PM me , and I can offer to call and help you order whatever phones. That said, any questions or issues , I don’t mind answering questions whether someone orders through me or not, it really isn’t a big deal (it’s gonna be a crazy day either way).

Costco will often do great promos too which do not have monthly bill credits but all of it up front.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Question Mark Mound posted:

I’m still on the “I want a new toy to place my XS with” train and was hoping several years of cumulative updates would get me to finally bite the bullet but I’m not convinced I’m there yet, even with the Pro model.

iPhone 15 will probably be when I update from XR regardless of how disappointing 15 phone may be. But if it’s really really boring, I might attempt waiting even longer to get an apple refurb of it. My XR ended up being a fantastic purchase.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

buglord posted:

iPhone 15 will probably be when I update from XR regardless of how disappointing 15 phone may be. But if it’s really really boring, I might attempt waiting even longer to get an apple refurb of it. My XR ended up being a fantastic purchase.

I loved my XR but lost it so I'm in for the 14pm now. Is there any info on when carriers will get them?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Costco will often do great promos too which do not have monthly bill credits but all of it up front.

Really good tip and reminder, I forgot about costco.

Always check all options is the theme I would say. And I guess shipping times vary on who you order from, but like, it would be worth waiting a week for a phone to save $100 or avoid a contract or whatever.

I could of course be wrong here, but phone wise:

14 probably won’t have many inventory issues

14 plus will have some since it’s a slightly new form, but I don’t see anyone buying this when they can get the max for $200 more

14 pro and pro max will get back ordered like always.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TraderStav posted:

I traded in my XS toward a 13 Pro at Costco last year and it's just a monthly credit on my Verizon bill.

I would not recommend buying through Costco because their wireless kiosk is a shitshow (this is the general consensus on Reddit). If I had to do it again, I would've gone through Duckman2008.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Duckman2008 posted:

From the post I made in the phone plan thread:

Rick posted:

AT&T dropped all their unlimited plan "freebies" except for HBOMax, which I already have, so I'm thinking of switching since I get an unlimited plan covered by my job anyway.

For Verizon is it pick one or do you get all those things they list?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

New pro looks interesting, but I don’t think that pill is much different than a notch but maybe that’s just me.

Baffled by the continued insistence on lightning charging rather than USB-C.

I figured this was the year the EU enforcement was kicking in. Guess not.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Josh Lyman posted:

I traded in my XS toward a 13 Pro at Costco last year and it's just a monthly credit on my Verizon bill.

I would not recommend buying through Costco because their wireless kiosk is a shitshow. If I had to do it again, I would've gone through Duckman2008.

I've used T-mobile in the past and it was all up front credits, also it's been a good experience save for potential inventory issues.

I feel ya though, going in person and handling it isn't ideal.

What's the story about Duckman2008?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Mister Facetious posted:

I figured this was the year the EU enforcement was kicking in. Guess not.

Considering that the US model does not have a SIM tray but some other models do, maybe they will have different connectors in different countries?

(Have they done different models in different regions before?)

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 7, 2022

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Small White Dragon posted:

I think FeliCa support was Japan exclusive hardware until the iPhone 8 if I remember right.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I did our last two upgrades with Duckman and it was quick and easy. If there's another "trade in old phone get free phone!" promo this year, my wife will be getting a new phone.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I bet they keep the dynamic island for 3 years before moving the Pro's to notchless so they're able to add it to cheaper models as time goes on.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fedule posted:

Also, the £ is so resolutely hosed right now that Apple's conversion from $ is now worse than 1:1.

Riding this 13 Pro until it or capitalism dies lol.

e: The same capacity 14 Pro is almost £200 more and the trade-in value is £100 less :lol:

ijyt fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 7, 2022

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I loved my XR but lost it so I'm in for the 14pm now. Is there any info on when carriers will get them?

In the US? Literally day one. We're talking about official stores, not the weird kiosks and affiliated.

XS and 11s need battery replacements at this point. Swap em and get your power back.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

I've used T-mobile in the past and it was all up front credits, also it's been a good experience save for potential inventory issues.

I feel ya though, going in person and handling it isn't ideal.

What's the story about Duckman2008?

There are too many stories to tell about Duckman2008.

joking there , I’m just a boring guy who still works selling phones and somehow has been crazy enough to keep it going. Full disclaimer, as mentioned, my actual job is with the red phone company , I work in the consumer sales department of the call center (not physically in person but over the phone). So since I can help anyone nationwide (not just inbound, If you can answer your phone I can help), I have helped nice posters on SA order phones. How it works is anyone can PM, then I text from there.

I do make commission when I order phones, but what i try and do here is mostly just , whatever someone needs , I’ll help you order, no hard upsells, and I emphasize a lot that I don’t expect people to feel obligated to order through me just because I also am a goon (I sell so many phones a month that one sale is def not make or break). But I can make things a lot easier and quicker, I’ve worked in phones like, 10-13 years and mostly know what I am doing.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
How much are we talking per month if you do the entry level unlimited and a base model iPhone? Do they even offer anything lower than 24 month agreements anymore?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Thinking about doing the AT&T installments thing to get the $1000/36 mos credit for the 14 Pro. I definitely don't see myself wanting to upgrade next year, but I may or may not want to upgrade in 2 years. I'm assuming I can either just pay off the remaining $333 of the balance or maybe even just daisychain that into a new credit? I'm definitely not gonna switch carriers, but if I want to reserve the right to upgrade in 2 years if apple releases the right phone, should I just trade in my current phone and pay apple now or should I just say gently caress it and do this AT&T credit deal? I looked up some stuff about AT&T handles it and it seems like it should be fine to go with whether I want to keep it for 2 or 3 years and I'll mostly come out ahead, but I don't know if there's something I'm missing.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

gently caress Apple for pushing eSIM-only bullshit on the US. I don’t want to be hassled by my carrier every time I want to switch phones, if I wanted that I wouldn’t have avoided CDMA like the plague. I’ve yet to see a viable demonstration of eSIM for a primary line that wasn’t primarily for the manufacturer and carrier’s benefit. I can’t wait until they start charging “convenience fees” for swaps.

I don’t think I can get an eSIM on my plan even if I wanted to because it’s too old. T-Mobile reps treat my plan like it’s some sort of eldritch horror every time they attempt to do anything to it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Can you no longer set a live photo to the lock screen and then watch it play by long-pressing the lock screen?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kupo! posted:

gently caress Apple for pushing eSIM-only bullshit on the US. I don’t want to be hassled by my carrier every time I want to switch phones, if I wanted that I wouldn’t have avoided CDMA like the plague. I’ve yet to see a viable demonstration of eSIM for a primary line that wasn’t primarily for the manufacturer and carrier’s benefit. I can’t wait until they start charging “convenience fees” for swaps.

I don’t think I can get an eSIM on my plan even if I wanted to because it’s too old. T-Mobile reps treat my plan like it’s some sort of eldritch horror every time they attempt to do anything to it.

Is it the old around 50/month unlimited everything from a few years ago?

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is it the old around 50/month unlimited everything from a few years ago?

No, it’s a 16 year old family plan with a bunch of dirt cheap features added to it. It still comes out cheaper than pretty much anything they’ve offered for years especially since there’s no throttling or video quality degradation.

e: I just looked at the T-Mobile eSIM instructions page and it looks like a loving nightmare, especially if you switch between Android and iPhone. The future of mobile communications, for sure.

Kupo! fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 7, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cage-free egghead posted:

How much are we talking per month if you do the entry level unlimited and a base model iPhone? Do they even offer anything lower than 24 month agreements anymore?

This answer varies on how ,any lines and such.

I don’t have full promo details , probably not until tomorrow at this point , so I don’t want to 100% quite yet.

If it’s what is showing on Apple’s website , it’s possibly a $800 trade in of an iphone 11 or newer, and hooooooopefully for both new and upgrade customers. If so, it’ll be the same promo as last year, which was pretty good overall. It’ll probably require a "premium date plan," which is $80 a month for one line of service with auto pay , $70 if someone is military, first responder , nurse, teacher or student.

Any trade in on either Verizon or ATT will be 3 years now , they (unfortunately) axed 2 year contracts. That’s why I def emphasize, promo won’t work if you want a new phone next year , but is fine if you aren’t wanting an iPhone 15 or 16.

George Kansas posted:

Thinking about doing the AT&T installments thing to get the $1000/36 mos credit for the 14 Pro. I definitely don't see myself wanting to upgrade next year, but I may or may not want to upgrade in 2 years. I'm assuming I can either just pay off the remaining $333 of the balance or maybe even just daisychain that into a new credit? I'm definitely not gonna switch carriers, but if I want to reserve the right to upgrade in 2 years if apple releases the right phone, should I just trade in my current phone and pay apple now or should I just say gently caress it and do this AT&T credit deal? I looked up some stuff about AT&T handles it and it seems like it should be fine to go with whether I want to keep it for 2 or 3 years and I'll mostly come out ahead, but I don't know if there's something I'm missing.

I’m not ATT, so I can’t promise this, but you should be right that if you say, upgrade at the 24 month mark out of 36, you just pay off the remaining 12 months of the payment of the, iphone 14 balance, which would be about $333. Verizon def does it this way too, although I don’t think Verizon is doing a $1,000 trade in, "just" $800.

Looking at the Apple’s website, is looks like ATT is offering $1000 for an iPhone 12 or newer. iPhone 11 is $800. Again, still developing, etc.

Kupo! posted:

No kidding here. eSIM was nice as an option, so it sucks not having a "pick which you want’ option IMO. eSIM is just still newer where customers are confused, and carriers have all been slow to pick it up. Hell, Verizon prepaid still doesn’t work with eSIM , which I assume is going to change very very soon, but I know a bunch of smaller carriers either don’t take eSIM or it’s difficult.

Like, I think this will force carriers to go quickly to fix it , but it’s still annoying and really needed at least another year.

For what it’s worth , the major carriers never , to my knowledge , charged for CDMA swaps and the like. It’s bad press. But that said, all the dealers sure as hell possibly can ! So yeah, it’s going to be messy.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Managing esim through T-Mobile has been super easy and painless for me the 2times I’ve needed to do it. The trick is to skip literally everything and just go straight to chat support on the T-Mobile app. They’ll ask for your esim info, plug it into the line, and you’ll be done with it in 5 minutes.

Once you’re set on T-Mobile if you do an iPhone to iPhone transfer it’ll move the line automatically. I’ve dual-sim for about 4 years now with my primary t-mobile line being the esim and it’s fine

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
i'm using an e-sim on t-mobile prepaid, and yep, the trick was to completely ignore all of the written instructions which did not work and instead contact them to exchange some magic number.

i dream of the day i can switch carriers with no human interaction. the last few carrier hops have made it seem like that was possible in the online instructions, but all of them failed to activate without calling / chatting and then doing another support contact a few hours later to do the number port.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Not sure if this is a duck man question or general apple, but I am looking for some advice.
1) has anyone jumped from a carrier payment to the apple upgrade program? I owe around 300 on my 12 pro but hate how Verizon is now 3 years payment instead of 2. Can I order a new phone on apple upgrade, start making payments, and then pay off my 12 when I have my 14? Or will Verizon make me pay off that total before I can get on the upgrade program?

2) can you trade in phones to apple with the apple upgrade program? Or am I better off trying to sell online somewhere?

Sorry if this has been covered, my googling is not turning anything up. I also want to have a new phone in hand before having to get rid of my old phone.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I'm all on 2021 fruittech so all I wanted was an updated magsafe battery that was the full size of the phone width with a decent capacity. I like how it integrates into the OS, the capacity just sucks for the price. (I don't own one currently)

Small White Dragon posted:

Considering that the US model does not have a SIM tray but some other models do, maybe they will have different connectors in different countries?

Yep, for example the 13 Pro had 5 different versions. Mostly LTE\5G band differences. I just looked all this up the other day to see if my current phone would work when visiting Japan next year. (Hopefully, local conditions\laws pending.)

A2483 USA, The US version is easy to tell apart. It has a cutout for a 5G antenna on the side. The only model to support mmWave.

A2636 Canada, Guam, Japan, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Saudi Arabia, USVI. Japan model has a camera shutter sound that can't be muted due to local laws. iOS 16 is supposed to allow this to be disabled if the phone knows it's physically out of Japan.

A2639 China mainland, Hong Kong, Macau. No facetime audio in China or Wifi calling. Only model to support dual nano-SIMs, vs one nano-SIM and an eSIM or dual eSIMs of the other models.

A2640 Russia, Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan. Some Russian apps offered on startup per local laws.

A2638 Everyone else, huge list. Korean version here also makes a camera shutter sound.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

iPhone upgrade program preorder stuff is up on the site now. You can pick what you want and have it all ready to go for Friday if you want.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Snowmankilla posted:

2) can you trade in phones to apple with the apple upgrade program? Or am I better off trying to sell online somewhere?

I made the switch to the upgrade program last year and yes that was an option when I did it

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

loving AT&T told me a week ago to wait until today to upgrade my phone (from a 7, yes, a 7) because of the new deals for the 14. Well not only are there not new deals yet but apparently there WAS a deal to trade in my 7 for a 13 for $350 credit that I missed by one day. They didn't mention that last week. Now the 7 has passed the horizon of being tradeable.

I'm going hiking in a spectacular place this weekend and I wanted a new phone camera for it. I could still get a 12 for 50% off, but after today's dire news they once again convinced me to wait, because the 13 could get the 12's deal next week. Or I could pay $1k for a 14, which is what the 13 would be now since I can't trade in anything.

I'm really in it for the camera. Does the 13/14 camera a big enough improvement over the 12 to justify potentially missing the 50% off deal (if the 13 doesn't inherit the same deal next week)?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Y'all dragged that one Android poster in the live thread by saying that Settings has notifications settings, which is true, but as far as I know it's still just all on or off. If you want the Amazon app to give you delivery updates but not try to sell you more poo poo then it's into the app's settings panel you go. Or more likely on a hunt to discover where they hid it you go.

Anyway, there's been a lot of good developments in AoD and ambient stuff from Google lately, I'm glad to see Apple begin to imitate some of it, though for whatever reason only on the "Pro" device. The dynamic island just looks super distracting, I'd rather floating objects I could move around the screen so they're easily gotten to, which has been great for PiP, but their priorities are coddling childish developers and hiding the camera hole. So permanently affixed to that place it will be.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Craptacular! posted:

Y'all dragged that one Android poster in the live thread by saying that Settings has notifications settings, which is true, but as far as I know it's still just all on or off. If you want the Amazon app to give you delivery updates but not try to sell you more poo poo then it's into the app's settings panel you go. Or more likely on a hunt to discover where they hid it you go.

Anyway, there's been a lot of good developments in AoD and ambient stuff from Google lately, I'm glad to see Apple begin to imitate some of it, though for whatever reason only on the "Pro" device. The dynamic island just looks super distracting, I'd rather floating objects I could move around the screen so they're easily gotten to, which has been great for PiP, but their priorities are coddling childish developers and hiding the camera hole. So permanently affixed to that place it will be.

Ok

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Snowy posted:

I made the switch to the upgrade program last year and yes that was an option when I did it

When I switched to the upgrade program I was going to but realized it would be like a down payment on a lease. Sure it makes the monthly payments a little cheaper but you won’t get the money back ever. We traded our phones into apple for store credit and got new apple watches.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Yeah, I used to upgrade every two years, I'm still on my XS, it's almost the perfect phone.

I have to say, the sat texting surprised me, obviously the two big issues were billing and the antenna. I was thinking it would work like a conventional Globalstar device, but this is incredibly ingenious, for one, they don't seem to be using SMS, at least, I highly suspect they are using data mode instead of SMS, which means, they don't have to really manage individual accounts, they can just buy the data in bulk and use the end-user device to authenticate valid service and as they are even bothering to attempt to maintain a always on connection to the satellite, they don't need a complex antenna:

This is the device I own.

Or some sort of complex phased-array antenna, you become the complicated part of the antenna by it telling you exactly where to point it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

god this blows posted:

iPhone upgrade program preorder stuff is up on the site now. You can pick what you want and have it all ready to go for Friday if you want.

I just did this for the first time through the apple store app and it seemed to go through fine. I was a little surprised to have to do the loan forms again, and there was a notification of Verizon looking at my credit, is that stuff you do every time you upgrade? It made me a little worried I’d end up messing with my phone plan or something.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

SlowBloke posted:

iPhone mini SKUs suffered from beige manual wagon syndrome, where everybody on the internet clamored for one but once it got released nobody purchased it. Apple had to cut production multiple times since it barely sold.

Seems like this is probably the last year for the capitalism feedback loop to suggest keeping the mini.

At least it’s a little bit cheaper after the 1 year price drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Snowy posted:

I just did this for the first time through the apple store app and it seemed to go through fine. I was a little surprised to have to do the loan forms again, and there was a notification of Verizon looking at my credit, is that stuff you do every time you upgrade? It made me a little worried I’d end up messing with my phone plan or something.

I think this is the 3rd time I’ve done it and it’s never hit my credit after the first hard pull. Not saying others might not be that way but you have to sign new loan paperwork as technically Apple is terminating your old loan and signing you up for a new one.