Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

PremiumSupport posted:

I'm not a professional coder, but I do a lot of game modding for entertainment. My go-to text editor for years was TextPad, but one of the games I've been playing with lately has some insanely large html files that make TextPad lock up when you try to navigate them. I switched to Notepad++ because it can handle the larger files.

If anyone has any recommendations for decent text editors that can do comparisons and don't require you to memorize a bunch of keyboard commands to use, I'm all ears.

How big are those html files? VS code 64bit will handle 500+ mb files fine(at the expense of some advanced features like tokenization or code wrapping).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SlowBloke posted:

Use powershell to compare https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.utility/compare-object?view=powershell-7.2 then use notepad.exe to do whatever you need. Or just buy more ram.

What kind of monster would let computer idiots still have access to powershell?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

What kind of monster would let computer idiots still have access to powershell?

My kind of computer idiots will ask me for a full wsl install to run diff otherwise. I'm not installing mingw/cygwin for poo poo since it's a security superfund.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 6, 2022

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

SlowBloke posted:

How big are those html files? VS code 64bit will handle 500+ mb files fine(at the expense of some advanced features like tokenization or code wrapping).

Currently sitting at 69,268KB

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PremiumSupport posted:

why

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

PremiumSupport posted:

what kind of madness results in a 70m html file?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some crazy bastard decided to put all their metadata into xml, and later decided putting uuencoded data into the files because the data handling is already done so why not.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Some crazy bastard decided to put all their metadata into xml, and later decided putting uuencoded data into the files because the data handling is already done so why not.

I've seen dumber poo poo. VSCode should handle it fine.

If not, can I sell you an XML database? It's only like 50k/year.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
It's what happens when what started out as a small text-based browser game grows into something much bigger over 15 years of development by random people.

Edit: In a sane world, someone would port it to something like Twine and split it into smaller files in a git repo, but that hasn't happened yet and the original author abandoned the project several years ago.

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 6, 2022

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
What do you mean "Different tools solve different problems?!"

Spoiler: I have Notepad++, VSCode, and Terminal all open on my Windows work machine right now.

But I do most of my actual work in Excel.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

KillHour posted:

If not, can I sell you an XML database? It's only like 50k/year.

iTunes developer spotted

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

:getout:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Have you checked out the Pro Excel streaming scene? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xubbVvKbUfY

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Tbh I only use Notepad++ to do global search & replace in multiple files, because I'm too dumb to figure out sed.

my old job would use it to view log files to find stuff

until we kept trying to open log files that were 2gb+ or more and it'd poo poo the bed so we had to move to glogg to view them instead

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Dear Oracle,

gently caress you. I am doing a comparison of various rdms platforms and would like to include yours in the mix. Except you have made it frustratingly hard to learn about it and get access to whatever your database server management tool is called (or even find out what your tool is called). Google helpfully points me to community posts circa 2015 for Oracle v11 which in turn point me to a bunch of dead links.

Please. Make sure to put up as many barriers to accessing your lovely database.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SlowBloke posted:

It also uses 20 years old executable validation methods as, much like 7zip, it doesn't sign the executables or the installer, which is a good reason to jettison.
Yeah that's solid logic alright.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
just a reminder that bcompare exists and has a cli binary.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Think I've caused my first bit of trouble in my new job.

To try and keep it brief/generic as possible... We needed to do something non-compliant so we raised a request for security to consider and approve it (we had to do it before, other dependencies are late so had to remain non-compliant until they catch up.)
When I raised it with security they made a big song and dance about how PM's (me) dont usually give them sufficient notice to get stuff done but me giving them a whole month was wonderful.
I nagged them regularly, generally getting minimal response and was told via teams chat my request had been approved the day before deadline
the approval did not get put onto the right system in time (still hasnt gone on!)
this meant we had to do the non-compliant thing anyway - if we did nothing, the result was no ticketing system for the entire business which would obviously cause chaos.

now someone in security has realised we did a non-compliant thing without 'proper' approval and is starting to enquire. I appreciate that securitys job is super hard if people just go off and do what they want, but we tried quite hard to get the request approved in a timely fashion with numerous chasers and they just sat on it, even after saying we gave them ages.

So I look forward to getting told off because I was the one that said do the non-compliant thing :D

angry armadillo fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 7, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The logical fix would be for whoever manages the manager of the security team to explain how sitting on a request for a month is unacceptable, and they need to stop complaining about things being done in a way that isn't compliant until they can understand that their job is to support the business, the same as everyone else's role.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
yeah fingers crossed... I dont know the politics well enough to know if they are reasonable people here yet

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If they claim to need more time then try and force it into a written policy that the security team require six weeks notice, and then use that policy to explain to other people why it's going to take so long to get anything done. Eventually you hope someone important enough will ask why security need so long to do a fairly simple task.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
In a perfect world that'd result in someone realising the security team is overworked and needs more budget but realistically all that we care about here is covering each other's asses, so Imma just point out that Teams chat is de-facto an electronically signed communication from the relevant member of the team, and any failure to input it into the correct ticketing system on their end is a failure on their end, so direct any enquiries to <name on chat> and sit back all :smugbert: TBH.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

Imma just point out that Teams chat is de-facto an electronically signed communication from the relevant member of the team

Not in Europe it isn't. Unless it has an attachment with an eidas signature it doesn't count for poo poo in a lawsuit. I could start a pages long rant about it(please don't ask).

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

In a perfect world that'd result in someone realising the security team is overworked and needs more budget but realistically all that we care about here is covering each other's asses, so Imma just point out that Teams chat is de-facto an electronically signed communication from the relevant member of the team, and any failure to input it into the correct ticketing system on their end is a failure on their end, so direct any enquiries to <name on chat> and sit back all :smugbert: TBH.

To be fair, the department went through a redundancy program 18(?) months or so ago (before I joined)
A lot of my colleagues complain that things like this happen, I think this is just my first experience of something falling over - so far most people have been ok with working to deadlines when you explain why the deadlines are where they are

I spoke to the CISO recently about other things, he said every day it's just another firefight so I guess this will become part of a bigger case that he needs more help

so far, Ive not felt anyone's wrath so I am doing ok :D

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Wait, did he say "firefight" or "fire to fight"? The two things are dramatically different.

SlowBloke posted:

Not in Europe it isn't. Unless it has an attachment with an eidas signature it doesn't count for poo poo in a lawsuit. I could start a pages long rant about it(please don't ask).
It won't stand up in court, but it'll stand up in internal CYOA. Either the dude sent it or his account is compromised, so whatever happens it's his rear end in the fire. If it gets to court then way bigger things have gone wrong than a goon breaking procedure to ensure that business operations continued.

Also this is the thread to rant in, so go hog wild. I'll happily read it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

Also this is the thread to rant in, so go hog wild. I'll happily read it.

To sum it up, the core logic of the current eidas legislation is an amalgam of several government attempts to create a valid way to put a non-modifiable stamp onto a document or an email. The core tech is conventional public/private key certificate signing and SMIME. Problem is that, for once, Italy did it first, providing a simple standard for email (PEC, Posta Elettronica Certificata, certified electronic mail) and document signature (Firma Digitale, digital signature) and then the eu demanded to add a series of weaker formats which are sometimes accepted in a specific country and sometimes they do not(but nobody will tell you which/where).
The basic eidas signature standard (SES, simple electronic signature) requires a checkbox, a textfield or an image attach, which has legal value in some states (I have no idea why since its pretty much like signing X on a piece of paper) but most of Europe doesn't even consider it as real.
The second level, which is what generate most of my anger, is AES(advanced electronic signature), where the signature must be done with a cert, but the cert doesn't require to be a signature type cert, so a lot of states use their authentication certs out of their EID cards to put signatures, which is considered legally valid in most of continental Europe and is what adobe sign or docusign have legal equivalence to.
The last level QES (Qualified Electronic Signature) requires a valid signature cert provided by a guaranteed CA provider and is what our Firma Digitale is equivalent to(and what most of the Italian government entities and equivalent recognize/demand).
Send a AES signed doc and 99% of the Italian government software will tell you to go gently caress yourself if you attempt to check it as valid, which is ultra fun since the last Italian government decided to ride the covid wave on paperwork dematerialization and made a phone app to do AES signatures using the national EID(which is accessible via NFC).
Then we start with the infernal affair of timestamps, yes there are laws about legally enforced electronic timestamps, which are pretty much a digital signature that guarantee that the eidas signature was applied in a certain date(and make the cert part not expiring). Italy used to have a single type(Marca Temporale, time stamp) and eidas has three. Same deal with the eidas signature standards(but this time the sequence is Electronic/Digital/Qualified), where the Italian variant is Qualified and the rest of Europe is either electronic/digital (and Italy don't consider them as valid).

Legal email (eidas REM) is a more black and white affair where the standard is pretty much PEC(which is nothing but SMIME and a few other ancillaries) with the logos filed off.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 7, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
From my brief time in ediscovery I think the AES is probably "good enough" for most tort law use where you're going to hand over things like certs during discovery and only need to hit balance of probabilities standards, but I can see why it'd piss you off if the Italian government were expecting QES for most things and arbitrarily decided not to use it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

From my brief time in ediscovery I think the AES is probably "good enough" for most tort law use where you're going to hand over things like certs during discovery and only need to hit balance of probabilities standards, but I can see why it'd piss you off if the Italian government were expecting QES for most things and arbitrarily decided not to use it.

The current laws coming from up top requires AES for anything but notarized stuff(land and building ownership requires QES eu-wide). Everybody in Italy will demand QES for anything and won't accept anything but. Given that a QES cert is something in the range of 30-60€ for a three year range(with a single possible renewal of another three years for about 15€) and it's personal, not business-wide, it can be a money sink. The fact that our EID can be accessed only via NFC (no smart card pins) and most laptops don't have a NFC card reader makes AES also a bad option, since asking your average computer illetterate citizen to scan a document(likely with the phone potato cam), do the nfc card recognition and pin insertion and then send it over email is like asking for water in the desert.

Hell our national EID service IdP workflow for people without nfc reader has been lauded as the next generation in simplicity by our gov it innovation dept while most of us staffers cried in terror since we knew the user baseline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCZjB5T3420

One minute and a half when the old smart card system required ten seconds even with a drunken gramps.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 7, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Azure / M365 seems to be melting down

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

After the vscode evangelizing going on in here yesterday I gave it a test drive and it is a pretty slick text editor with an absurd amount of extensions. I'm not sure it's better for pasting text dumps than notepad++ and it sure walks and talks like it's an IDE, but I won't dwell on it. :angel:

My main beef is working with stuff on a remote server. The ssh tunneling feature is great, but windows openssh doesn't do kerberos auth which my org requires. There's workarounds for it but so far they're in the class of "works once, then issues down the road."

But it could also be me, I am the first to admit what an idiot I am.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Went to request two days off for my bday, but it's coincident with a go-live.

I'm "involved" in the sense I know what the thing is and I'm on the meetings for the project. That's it though, I don't do or even see the backend work. My involvement will consist of wandering the hospital hunting down a computer, typing into Teams "yup sure is broke", and then being asked later to follow up to type "yup sure is fixed", between hunting down computers so they can be encrypted or so Clearpass has to be reinstalled for the 5th time.

I love they frame this as a learning and mentoring opportunity even though it's the same loving poo poo I do everyday and I do not even get to watch the higher level work being done. I'm just there as a pawn for the WFH set.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

After the vscode evangelizing going on in here yesterday I gave it a test drive and it is a pretty slick text editor with an absurd amount of extensions. I'm not sure it's better for pasting text dumps than notepad++ and it sure walks and talks like it's an IDE, but I won't dwell on it. :angel:

My main beef is working with stuff on a remote server. The ssh tunneling feature is great, but windows openssh doesn't do kerberos auth which my org requires. There's workarounds for it but so far they're in the class of "works once, then issues down the road."

Does Linux work for ssh with kerberos? Install WSL and you can open a bash shell directly in VSCode.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

KillHour posted:

Does Linux work for ssh with kerberos? Install WSL and you can open a bash shell directly in VSCode.

Yeah, that's how I do my day to day work (in WSL2). A reliable way for vscode to use kerberized sshfs would be pretty cool and modern as I've been doing all remote editing with vim the past 20 years. But google yields no supported solution.. just hacks.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
VScode is definitely my goto.

poo poo pissing me off: My firewall admins have decided they do not know how or do not care to test their own rule changes and implementations. The work around for this is to ask me, or the general requestor, to be available for a 3 hour change window in the evening to log in and test the change for them. Like my good bitch is that not what we pay you for?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Yeah, that's how I do my day to day work (in WSL2). A reliable way for vscode to use kerberized sshfs would be pretty cool and modern as I've been doing all remote editing with vim the past 20 years. But google yields no supported solution.. just hacks.

Give this a shot?

https://github.com/microsoft/vscode-remote-release/issues/250#issuecomment-1191218798

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I did, it worked fine for about a day and now it errors out, fails setting up the port forwarding. This makes no sense, port forwarding with ssh is a pretty simple and stable feature but I couldn't put off Real Work to putter with it all day trying to figure out where the failure was. I'll figure it out eventually.

Regardless, vscode is cool and I will be using it henceforth.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A SH/SC success story!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

xzzy posted:

You can use winget to grab a more modern openssh build(that also supports fido keys auth), try checking if it suits your use case.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Wait, you can use winget for more than just upgrading programs from the command line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Wait, you can use winget for more than just upgrading programs from the command line?

https://blog.dan.drown.org/u2f-fido2-based-ssh-keys-on-windows/

This is where I got the idea.