Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

IAMKOREA posted:

I think we're speaking past each other, I agree but at the same time I don't think "trumpism" is a novel thing. I mean it is novel in the sense that its loving hilarious, but its not novel in the sense of making the world worse.
I feel like Hedges is writing to a left-leaning liberal audience who might need to be talked to within their frame of reference to see the sickness inherent to the system. If they see Trump as some demonic entity, then it's pretty relevant to ask them why the system has such a hard time dealing with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

LastInLine posted:

I literally did forget

I guess I'm the moron for expecting the government to provide water for its citizens

I'd settle for "not knowingly forever poisoning the only freshwater supply on an important and highly populated island with no other sources" but even that's too much to ask apparently.

Legit mega crisis there that's going to be completely ignored until whoops all that poison has flowed into the other main pumps because it's all one big pool of water. I'm sure president chelsea will be happy to dedicate one of our dozen aircraft carriers to desalination duty for a decade while we rush to build a nuclear desal plant on the island and we definitely won't make the residents pay for it when it's the federal government's fault lol

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

evilpicard posted:

Would you say overturning the voting rights act increased or decreased democracy in the United States

if you multiply zero by something you get zero

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'd add that universal suffrage still does not a democracy make, even if it's a requirement. If your political system makes people think voting is a waste of time, that's no more democratic than just saying those people aren't allowed to vote in the first place.

People don't just think it's a waste of time, OP

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

LastInLine posted:

People don't just think it's a waste of time, OP
That's not the point. Even if it wasn't, merely convincing people that it was would make it not a democracy.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's not the point. Even if it wasn't, merely convincing people that it was would make it not a democracy.

It is the point because if voting doesn't make a difference you also don't have a democracy.

I'm not saying you're wrong in theory, but the facts on the ground are that voting has no effect on most peoples' lives.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

It would be cool if we got rid of the thin veneer of Democracy that still exists in America because all it does is make the most insane people on the internet go into shirt rending hysterics because they feel guilty about what their government is doing, when in reality they have no input to the system.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Retromancer posted:

It would be cool if we got rid of the thin veneer of Democracy that still exists in America because all it does is make the most insane people on the internet go into shirt rending hysterics because they feel guilty about what their government is doing, when in reality they have no input to the system.

That's not true, it also helps comfortable low info libs sleep at night because they saw on tv/heard on npr that the problem isn't there after they voted correctly

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coolness Averted posted:

That's not true, it also helps comfortable low info libs sleep at night because they saw on tv/heard on npr that the problem isn't there after they voted correctly

motherfuckers have done nothing to justify refuge in ignorance.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

lol paul loving begala sent me a text on behalf of dccc asking me for money. who the loving is going to look at paul begala's goofy-rear end mug and think "why yes I'll just send some cash to dccc directly"

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I have only gotten texts this cycle once each from both party. And both I replied with “go to hell”.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I've only gotten a couple of texts, but several emails. Some of them even acknowledge that Bernie Sanders sold them my data! One of the emails from someone I've not heard of started with

Hi,

Bernie told me you're a progressive ally...

Which is getting close to the GIVE US $40 OR WE'LL TELL TRUMP YOU'RE CHINESE shakedown emails

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I've gotten a ton of emails and texts from long shot dems in different areas, pelosi, local gop, and bernie fundraising on behalf of others
Weird how when I was an active volunteer I never got approached, but one year of giving money to bernie and a few other anti-establishment primary challengers made me nancy's best friend forever.
gently caress I've never and will never given a dem money since then, but they still are hounding me for cash

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

i think ive finally stopped and unsubscribed enough that i pretty rarely get politics stuff anymore. my dentist sent me a text wishing a happy labor day though

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

drat i said that and then just got a text message from texas democrats

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

THS2 posted:

THS2! It's critically important that you give 20 bucks to this anti abortion dude or else abortion will be banned!

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the one bright side to falling through the cracks of an ever-worsening system: can't get political texts when you don't have cell service.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The Democrats are going to be destroyed in 8 weeks and 5 days

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
what if they win

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

christmas boots posted:

what if they win

They don't want to win so they'll be sad. They aren't going to though so it won't be an issue.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

christmas boots posted:

what if they win

we change the 2 to a 4 in the thread title like we would have done anyway

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

THS2 posted:

i've started getting "national survey" calls the last couple nights. wanted to gently caress with poll numbers but also just wanted to watch masterchef in peace so i hung up on em.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I hope Dems win because it will be funny to see the excuses for why the magic number to do anything just increased to 53 senators.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

VitalSigns posted:

I hope Dems win because it will be funny to see the excuses for why the magic number to do anything just increased to 53 senators.

Lol

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

VitalSigns posted:

Oops! all Manchins!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

listen jack we have three senators voting against our agenda DONATE $69 to SAVE our nation

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

christmas boots posted:

what if they win

They'll be even more destroyed

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

VitalSigns posted:

Fact Check: Misleading/partially true. The democrats have always been clear a super majority, 5 sympathetic supreme court justices, and control of the white house are required to pass any laws.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

they could have 65 senators and it wouldn’t be enough to do anything bc they don’t want to do anything

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

biceps crimes posted:

they could have 65 senators and it wouldn’t be enough to do anything bc they don’t want to do anything

That's because 20 of them are from red states so we really only have 45 Democrats. That's why we just need to elect 22 more Democrats then we can finally admit Puerto Rico, DC, West Hollywood, Guam, Okinawa, Omaha Nebraska, and the Moon as blue states and then we'll be able to pass a Biden's healthcare public option!

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

VitalSigns posted:

That's because 20 of them are from red states so we really only have 45 Democrats. That's why we just need to elect 22 more Democrats then we can finally admit Puerto Rico, DC, West Hollywood, Guam, Okinawa, Omaha Nebraska, and the Moon as blue states and then we'll be able to pass a Biden's healthcare public option!

North Mariana Islands, American Samoa, South Florida, the Florida Keys, Old New Jersey, and New New Jersey

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

lol @ omaha electing democrats. i lived there for four years. evacuate the zoo and some of the poorer neighborhoods in north and south omaha then zap that shithole with an orbital laser imo

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

zap council bluffs off the map too while we are at it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

THS2 posted:

Speak of the devil and he doth appear.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I keep hearing that the destruction of the demon rats will be less thorough than previously indicated, c/d?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the idea that the party would disappear into ashes like a vampire exposed to the sun was always a joke. maybe some people took it seriously, i dunno. people are dumb, myself most of all.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

yeah, the controlled oppositon party actually being mortally wounded in some way would imply that things in this trash fire of a country might actually…change. hope is a real bitch, and that’s why it also came out of Pandora’s box along with all the other horrible curses and diseases.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the idea that the party would disappear into ashes like a vampire exposed to the sun was always a joke. maybe some people took it seriously, i dunno. people are dumb, myself most of all.

it wasn’t a joke, it was a prayer

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

democratic, feminist san francisco uses rape kit dna to convict victims with separate crimes?
weird.
Woman whose rape kit DNA was used against her in separate crime sues San Francisco https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/sep/12/woman-dna-rape-kit-san-francisco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Real hurthling! posted:

democratic, feminist san francisco uses rape kit dna to convict victims with separate crimes?
weird.
Woman whose rape kit DNA was used against her in separate crime sues San Francisco https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/sep/12/woman-dna-rape-kit-san-francisco
the law was powerless to help her