Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Fantastic honking from Chris, not sure why that task had to be scored on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Paladinus posted:

Fantastic honking from Chris, not sure why that task had to be scored on time.

You could argue it's funnier to undermine the serene, meditative activity of becoming one with nature by making it a race against time. Good on Jeremy to override the letter of the law and give five points out for quality. I do think he needs to borrow a trick from Greg's arsenal when it comes to scoring a well-performed task like the cereals. The happy middle ground between giving everyone 5 or giving 1-5 regardless is to forgo the 1 point and 2 points, then give out multiple 3s, 4s or 5s.

Really liked the closure to the story of the best friends. Was entertaining to see Paul step into the role of the obsessed detective who can't leave the job at the office. He just had to find those bodies!

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Hasn't been the best series but hoo boy the hide a body task with the reveal is one of the best things that's come out of Taskmaster, if not the best.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

not a bot posted:

Hasn't been the best series but hoo boy the hide a body task with the reveal is one of the best things that's come out of Taskmaster, if not the best.

It's so astoundingly good I'm shocked they hadn't done it previously.

I think it might be slightly better if they put in some more limitations, but Chris is a genius.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
With how simple some other tasks were, the best buddy arc was a real masterstroke. Not something you could copy one to one, but something Alex could draw inspiration from, certainly.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Paladinus posted:

With how simple some other tasks were, the best buddy arc was a real masterstroke. Not something you could copy one to one, but something Alex could draw inspiration from, certainly.

I really wonder if they had intended it to be a three episode thing (make the friend in one episode, then shoot the arrow in the next episode, then hide the body in the third) but then realized that the live audience not seeing the creation wouldn't realize the reveal of them having to shoot an apple of of the head being as good. The body one works on its own because the task is so great but the apple one was weak on its own without the reveal that it was the friend they made.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Season 13 might be one of my new favorite seasons as I finish it up. the final episode had the Bridget Christie dance which is probably the hardest I've laughed at the show ever

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

13 is good. I might say that it's the first really, really good season since 7 or 8.

Don't get me wrong, the other seasons are also good. But maybe not really, really good.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Jon Irenicus posted:

Season 13 might be one of my new favorite seasons as I finish it up. the final episode had the Bridget Christie dance which is probably the hardest I've laughed at the show ever

Everybody doing that dance during the credits at the end warmed my heart.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Taskmaster NZ definitely has a weird mixture as far as task quality is concerned. The chances of getting more than one decent/funny attempt out of 'become one with nature' was pretty slim.

Absolutely knocking studio tasks out of the park though, so ....

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I just really loved the overarching story about the "best friend" with the hide the body task, but the prize task last episode made up for it.

What a fantastic game show.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

NZ3 is over.

ANNOUNCE THE START DATE FOR S14, ALEX

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Man, Jeremy really really disliked Justine huh

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Man, Jeremy really really disliked Justine huh

I imagine they are on good terms outside the show, if not friends. He and Matt Heath had her on their radio show recently, too.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That series really picked up steam during its run.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I know its more work for video editors, but I would like if all 10 episodes had unique openings, Chris's trick-or-treat- "I'm Paul Williams" line has been foreshadowed for like 9 episodes.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

PhazonLink posted:

I know its more work for video editors, but I would like if all 10 episodes had unique openings, Chris's trick-or-treat- "I'm Paul Williams" line has been foreshadowed for like 9 episodes.

Bäst i Test and Suurmestari both do this but I'm not a fan of how it turns out. They end up taking much bigger clips to get a whole intro segment from just one episode's content, and it spoils what's coming up more directly. Maybe it's a bit more spoilery because some of the shows' tasks are derived from other series and you go "oh, they're redoing that task tonight".

Good final episode on the the NZ front. The bathtub task is a simple but effective capper for the series, but the trick or treat task was my favourite from a design purpose.

Pinwiz11 posted:

ANNOUNCE THE START DATE FOR S14, ALEX

Happily we won't have a very long gap - TV guides say that the series returns at the end of this month. Means we need a new thread title - are there any good quotes from S13 that didn't make it as an episode title?All I've got is "Taskmaster S14: I can't wait to receive the head at the end" which would have been much more apt as a title for the NZ series just gone.

Quite a few non-English versions returning soon as well, Kongen Befaler is back for S6 as well as Stormester (also s6) and the debut of the Quebecois version.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

PhazonLink posted:

I normally do not watch the OP until episode 10, and I really should wait until after I've finished that ep. I'm also way too spoiler-phobic. :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Audience filming for the next UK season is starting soon. The new series will be recorded on Thurs 22nd, Fri 23rd April, Mon 26th, Tue 27th & Wed 28th September 2022 and there will be both afternoon and evening recordings.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Yogscast is doing their legally distinct show "Master Tasker"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64CkEItdcac

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Heavy_D posted:

Good final episode on the the NZ front. The bathtub task is a simple but effective capper for the series, but the trick or treat task was my favourite from a design purpose.

Bathtub task was a better variation of the barrel one in the UK version. It's a lot more funny when the participants sabotage themselves, regardless of whether they knew or not, than if someone else like Paul or Alex do it. But also giving them an out do to it a more tedious way to test their patience as well (and for the inevitable fuckup) was good too.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Hey, does the wording for this below task seem ok? This is for our live task, so while it might be a bit awkwardly worded, but I'm going to be reading it aloud and I want it to be super duper clear to the contestants what they have to do:

Split your groceries amongst your team’s two trays. At least some part of every grocery must be on each tray.

You may NOT remove, open, or tamper with the non-edible items that are already on the trays.

The team with the two trays that weigh closest to one another wins.

You have 100 seconds. Your time starts when the whistle blows.

There is a bonus point for best plating on one of your trays.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

NZ Taskmaster season 3 had an enjoyable lineup but lackluster when it came to tasks. There were just far too many creative tasks and not enough challenge type tasks. Design a super hero, design a cereal, make a show out of the items in the box, design a best friend(although that led to a funny ending eventually), the enchanted forest, the trick or treat one, and more that I've forgotten because they were unmemorable.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

DurosKlav posted:

NZ Taskmaster season 3 had an enjoyable lineup but lackluster when it came to tasks. There were just far too many creative tasks and not enough challenge type tasks. Design a super hero, design a cereal, make a show out of the items in the box, design a best friend(although that led to a funny ending eventually), the enchanted forest, the trick or treat one, and more that I've forgotten because they were unmemorable.

The twist of Trick or treat was pure genius. I’m trying to recall if UK ever did a similar twist. Maybe the “Slice the bread in the lab” and then give them a loaf of bread in the caravan.

I usually dislike the creative tasks in UK (songs about Rosalind being the obvious exception,) but they are some of my favorite on NZ.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Superrodan posted:

Hey, does the wording for this below task seem ok? This is for our live task, so while it might be a bit awkwardly worded, but I'm going to be reading it aloud and I want it to be super duper clear to the contestants what they have to do:

Split your groceries amongst your team’s two trays. At least some part of every grocery must be on each tray.

You may NOT remove, open, or tamper with the non-edible items that are already on the trays.

I'd possible change the criteria to The team with the two trays that are closest in weight wins. but that's more of an editorial choice than a clarification.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

The abundance of creative tasks on TMNZ wouldn't feel quite so egregious is Jeremy was willing to grade them against each other more often/harshly. Whenever there's an overt 'justification' (someone insulted him, tongue-in-cheek misogyny etc.), he jumps on the chance to send people to the bottom. But he doesn't seem comfortable just going 'your bit was the least funny, one point'. I can understand the mindset; it's way more likely to hurt a comedian's feelings than 'you're slow/uncoordinated/whatever', but then you need to use those setups sparingly.

On the other hand, I was delighted by how much Jeremy clearly enjoys Josh. Reading back the transcript of his voicemail in deadpan was probably the hardest I laughed this entire season.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Superrodan posted:

It can work. The easy loophole is below, I don't know if that's intended though and it sounds like maybe you thought about that already but I can't tell from just the description. Must all of the grocery be on the trays? Or can they just put the smallest piece of each grocery on each tray, toss the rest, and job done? The counter-loophole would be to make the preplaced non-grocery very uneven between team trays.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Sighence posted:

It can work. The easy loophole is below, I don't know if that's intended though and it sounds like maybe you thought about that already but I can't tell from just the description. Must all of the grocery be on the trays? Or can they just put the smallest piece of each grocery on each tray, toss the rest, and job done? The counter-loophole would be to make the preplaced non-grocery very uneven between team trays.

That was indeed intentional, and the thing you mentioned is bound to happen anyways because the groceries in the bag and on the tray were from a list they made in an earlier task and everyone made very different lists

EDIT: As for the wording of the task, I like your wording better Heavy_D.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 13, 2022

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Let's face it, Jeremy is just poo poo at this. I have no idea what he's like outside of it, but he just doesn't seem to get Taskmaster. I can understand maybe not wanting to just copy Greg, but he doesn't bring anything to the show. He could be any old random light entertainment presenter.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the show has been great and he's perfectly fine, i'm sure some person could be better but i guarantee you lots of people would be worse

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
A dry Taskmaster is perfectly fine with five fairly ridiculous people to bounce off of. He just needs a bit more sharpness and wit to really maximize the banter. The UK relationship is kinda the reverse where Greg is generally the crazier one and the five play a bit more normally.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Who would do better in the NZ scene though?
And even more crucial, would the double act that is presenting taskmaster still work? I'm not up on my NZ entertainment scene but I can't imagine they have 1:1 analogues for most British comedians. Heck even the US used American Alex Horne for the taskmaster role because we have, what, Craig Ferguson for "semi serious old male comedian who wasn't always in comedy"? Don't get me wrong he would've been aces in the role in isolation but with Horne as a double act? I'd be willing to find out but I can't picture it going quite as well as the original pair.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I mean there is no reason you can't use an intl taskmaster - Bill Bailey in Brainiacs springs to mind as a good use of a British panellist for a not-british panel show.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Sighence posted:

Who would do better in the NZ scene though?
And even more crucial, would the double act that is presenting taskmaster still work? I'm not up on my NZ entertainment scene but I can't imagine they have 1:1 analogues for most British comedians. Heck even the US used American Alex Horne for the taskmaster role because we have, what, Craig Ferguson for "semi serious old male comedian who wasn't always in comedy"? Don't get me wrong he would've been aces in the role in isolation but with Horne as a double act? I'd be willing to find out but I can't picture it going quite as well as the original pair.

Now I'm just angry because all I want is a new American Taskmaster show, done right, with Craig Ferguson as the Taskmaster.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Replace Jeremy with David Correos IMO. Just a mad tyrant getting revenge for the suffering he experienced as a contestant.

Though if the meat tray apology after his rap is any indication, he can't actually be mean towards anyone

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

WhiteHowler posted:

Now I'm just angry because all I want is a new American Taskmaster show, done right, with Craig Ferguson as the Taskmaster.

It's been mentioned before in the thread but Conan O'Brian and Andy Richter would probably have been a good pair for American TM. Although I do agree Craig Ferguson as TM would also have been great, I'm just not sure who they'd then cast as the assistant (I mean they could still go with Andy Richter but the whole point of him and Conan is they already work together and have a dynamic that would fit the show very well).

Really there were a lot of miscalculations made with the American Taskmaster series. It's easy to imagine a version of it that could have been good but there's just no panel show culture in American comedy so I think a lot of execs don't really know how to make the format work. It's probably why it's the only international series that Horne had to be personally involved with.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
America doesn't have a panel show culture, but the major networks do have stables of c- list talent they generally can call in for celebrity game shows. ABC has a pile of them right now with particular example of The Match Game which has a bunch of recurring comedians that'd be perfect

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Taskmaster comes back on the 29th:
https://twitter.com/taskmaster/status/1570064960985628674

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Guy Montgomery would be a great replacement for Jeremy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
I kinda wonder if Guy Williams' in-studio character in NZ season 1 nuked audience retention so much they cut back on the banter that would make Jeremy more of a personality. More tasks, less studio, and we'll fund you. And then the season 2 cast was just so charismatic they got more leeway.