Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Two guitars sold this week, one bought, and a great buy in my opinion

If you know G&Ls, you know a G&L F-100, except...

Hondo Professional Series H-1111 Guitar copy of a G&L F-100(which said F-100 Guitar on the headstocks). I don't think I've ever seen one of these before, let alone any F-100 copies. Dates to 1981, probably made by Matsumoku based on the neck plate with Made in Japan, no serial number, and the pickups.

Should be master volume, 3 way switch, two tones, a phase switch, and a coil split. Right now, only the bridge pickup works and there's some really lovely solder work in there. Plus, I don't think the phase or coil switches are doing anything, so I get to pull this one apart and fix it, too. Yay. I will probably change it something less insane, it's a rats nest right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Sunn Life pedal clone

Sounds like: https://voca.ro/1jObXnzKdSRB

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

massive spider posted:

Sunn Life pedal clone

Very nice. Any chance we could get a gutshot?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

massive spider posted:

Sunn Life pedal clone

That is brutal. I love it.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

massive spider posted:

Sunn Life pedal clone

That sounds real good. What were you playing through?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

In that clip into a hagstrom swede into helix on the plexi model with GT-75s

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

massive spider posted:

In that clip into a hagstrom swede into helix on the plexi model with GT-75s

LM308 can only mean one thing: the best pedal.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

It’s supposed to be based off sunn 0)))s system of running a rat in parallel with an octave fuzz into a boost. Although the distortion side on its own has more woof than any rat I’ve played.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Broke down and finally bought one during the Labor Day sales. So far so good.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

massive spider posted:

running a rat in parallel with an octave fuzz into a boost
lol wait wtf

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

massive spider posted:

Sunn Life pedal clone

had a legit one and it was awesome but not for me so i sold it for a bunch of money lol. such a cool pedal tho

Dr. Faustus posted:

lol wait wtf

not just any fuzz, a super sick shin-ei fuzz

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

widefault posted:

Broke down and finally bought one during the Labor Day sales. So far so good.

Break it down, I'm on the fence with this one.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Ooof.

I mean ok, but...

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Starcasters rule. It's such a bizarre outlier you can't help but like them

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Sup starcaster buddy, just got one myself.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Honestly, I've wanted one for years. Almost bought a vintage one ~20 years ago, but couldn't justify spending the money. Almost bought one of the Fender Modern Player Made in China ones when those were out, but waited too long and they were discontinued. Have been watching the prices climb steadily on the Squiers, so when it hit 25% off on Amazon I decided it was time.

So far it is way more comfortable to play than the 335-styles I've played, the offset with the upper horn lets it sit in the right spot for me and with no neck dive. I'm also a fan of the Squier-branded WRHBs, even if they don't sound anything like the originals.

Only thing I don't like is how pale the body color is compared to the very dark tint on the neck. But I wanted a natural finish one, so that is what you get. Other options were sunburst or poopy-brown "Walnut", which do not appeal to me at all

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The brown is cool in my book, but I too ended up buying one last year in the “natural” finish. They’re great really. I wouldn’t want to rewire the thing, but it’s handled everything I’ve thrown at it without fuss.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
there's an empty rackbrute 6u on the floor next to me and every module here is supposed to show up sometime between next tuesday and the end of the month

real pics, eventually

edit: fine, fine, I bought a Loopman, too, if I'm going for a tape vibe I may as well go all in. Leaving myself a glorious 8hp for whatever.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 8, 2022

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Got me the gift of acid for my birthday:

The TR-6S I got a few days ago (still need to get the latest firmware, but it's plenty usable with the stock 1.00 firmware installed); the Donner just arrived today.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

NuclearPotato posted:

Got me the gift of acid for my birthday:

The TR-6S I got a few days ago (still need to get the latest firmware, but it's plenty usable with the stock 1.00 firmware installed); the Donner just arrived today.

its cool that they're still in hard plastic greyish shells, just like updated

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I guess you could say I made a pedalboard or something:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

petit choux posted:

I guess you could say I made a pedalboard or something:

this is the prettiest use of TE stuff I've ever seen, can't wait to see what you do to Reagan

I may bump this thread as the pieces of this roll in our until someone tells me to stuff it, because god drat was it a bunch of not cheap pieces.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 11, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

it's weird, all right. Last one from me until Weds or Thurs at which point this rack should be mostly done.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Finally received my cheap Squier Starcaster from ProAudioStar

The pictures aren't great but its the translucent walnut color.

Aside from a couple minor cosmetic issues and it needing a setup, my only complaint is the nut feels a little sharp, like they didn't round over the corners enough. If I can get it set up to my liking and decide to keep it, that should be an easy fix though.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I hope it works out. The Starcaster club is pretty cool. Note to self I really should learn a thing or two about setting up guitars.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Surprise NGD! I also have a secret to tell you guys about but it will wait until it gets here on its slow boat from China.

In the meantime I got a wild hair for Les Pauls. I've been jonesing for my LP with p90s and well this is not that. But it is an LP. After spending a little time laughing at Gibson's pricing I got serious and started looking at Epiphones and long story short I tripped over this new 2022 Epiphone Les Paul Standard 50s in heritage cherry burst. I brought it in and plugged it into a Marshall model and instantly heard the fat nasal Les Paul honk. I didn't actually think I liked that tone but it is so distinctive, I have no idea how it happens but I'm liking this one. It's got some Pro PAFs in it, I don't know anything about them except to me it sounds like Slash just moved in so I think I am in the right ballpark already. P90s may or may not be in her future.

It's not even very heavy! I intend to do an effort post about her after the weekend. But for now I need to do a setup and just play.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 17, 2022

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I have an Epiphone SG Classic with their "P90 Pro" pickups and they sound really great, especially the neck pickup. I did replace the bridge with a DMZ Virtual P90 (soapbox sized humbucker) for high gain purposes, but that neck P90 is sweet honey and isn't going anywhere.

[GAS]You need the Epi LP Special with these pickups:
https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/Electric-Guitar/EPIKNE179/TV-Yellow[/GAS]

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Finally got all my modular stuff situated in my new room. Also set up my cable holder and wow things look cleaner without a pile of multicolored spaghetti draped over everything.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Two planned purchases for rehab and resale, one surprise

Another Lotus Strat copy,. Needs sticker removal, strings, and a setup. These don't sell for much, but they can be made into pretty good players.

Unbranded LP copy, probably Japanese due to the square bar tailpiece. Also needs cleanup, strings, and a setup. And a neckplate and screws

That's the other reason I think it's Japanese, that neck plate would have been stamped Made in Japan and worth more than the guitar to some people.

And then a stop at the pawns hop after work got me this case

And this guitar for $60.

1960 Silvertone H1213. Made by Harmony. Worn fretboard, cracked pickguard, top losing its arch, bridge bent forward, neck bowed, but playable. Doesn't help it has really heavy strings on it right now.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Those neck plates, are they interchangeable between the guitars and basses?

I took one of a Greco bass that was smaller than a Fender bass neck plate, so wondered if maybe they used the same. I’ve got a spare if they do fit.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
There's a bunch of different sizes. I have a few in my parts box, and none of them fit so far. Big differences in the hole positions even on the same size plates.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

got a Kerbal Space Program because trying to record to the Binary Space Partitioner from a midi KB source was kind of annoying to me, and also having a completely second controller that can eat clock from the same source as this one is, in theory, nice for noodling with my wife/kids.

There's probably like a grand in modules added there since my last pic, but I am still waiting for Cloud Terrarium, which is going to leave me 3hp free for probably a Pico VCA but maybe a zlobz random signal generator instead. I think I'm going to need the second VCA unit in a more dire way once cloud terrarium replaces the wonderfully godawful chipz

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Not gear, but music related

This one done by a better artist than my other Keith art

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I live very near the korg warehouse. 2nd time I've ordered something from them and got it like instantly.

The buttons on this are kinda mushy but everything else about it feels very nice. Definitely gonna help out with modular performances.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New guitar day!

Hondo HDLPS-2AB

Made in Korea by Samick around 1980. Factory DiMarzios, set-neck, ash body and top. Body is a little thinner than a regular LP, too, so the wieght is at ~8.5 lbs

It also matches my Hondo HD-770AB

Also got this earlier in the week

Fender MA-1 parlor-size with an amateur "Starry Night" on the front, but also a painted back and neck. BUT it plays well, action good, no fret wear. For $45 I'm overjoyed, was expecting a wall hanger, which it still is but it's playable.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Maybe I should just send one or two of my axes to one of you cats to fix up. But it's a new horn day too!

Mendini on the left, Tristar on the right, I like them and I'm quite impressed by what you get for the money, but they sure don't play quite as good as a good horn, I think the action could be improved, in fact can probably be done by the consumer, come to think of it. Nonetheless, with the addition of stronger springs, my Mendini is good enough you could still make it sing. Either one of these two, the Tristar has nice tone also. At the price of either of these you could just take one to New Orleans for Mardi Gras and have a blast. Your mileage may vary.

I don't know much about this but it appears that a lot of the student grade instruments are coming out of India under a couple or more different names, maybe the same plants(?) and they've been gradually getting better and accruing some respect. A regular B flat Mendini appears to have nearly the same respect as a Selmer Bundy used to when I was a kid, just a decent student grade. But anyway, I keep buying their pocket trumpets, because I still want to play trumpet synth. I've now also acquired a foam box (which I should have just made myself, in hindsight) to blow the horn into and when I was a kid I used to make mutes out of Pabst stubby bottles, they were perfect for a regular trumpet.

So I've been shopping around for the best bottles and I've been trying them. At present the small Malta India is the best fit for both horns, (left) the Negro Modelo (right) works really well too but it's also a pretty tall bottle so tomato, tomato. The action on these horns isn't extremely good, nor is the tone, it's hard to get a big sound out of a small horn that's not a piccolo but this one is going electric anyway, I'm just gonna have to give it fat tone some other way. But I've improved tthe action massively with aftermarket springs. I'm still going to use the electric pickup mouthpiece I got from that guy from Australia (lower right, blue) and since I'm not going to be actually miking the horn I don't care as much that they don't have the tone or volume of my old Strad, maybe I'll work on that later, get a fancier horn, maybe not. I'm just getting eager to take the SY-300 for a spin. for anybody getting one, I'd recommend the springs and also maybe some loctite for some of threaded parts, like the buttons. As you can see I had to get aftermarket buttons for the blue one, but they do look pretty sweet.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

petit choux posted:

I have been picking up a lot of instruments, just going on a mad spending spree that will have to be followed up with a mad selling spree, no doubt. But I feel like I've learned so much and had a lot of fun. Here is my first recent acquisition:

So I know this post is from back in May, but some of you were asking about test equipment as musical instruments. Since you're probably not going to spend the hundreds or thousands of dollars necessary to get into this, you can always try Berna 3 available on https://www.giorgiosancristoforo.net/. Scroll down a bit and you'll see it (although Ongaku and Bento are awesome also).

It's an emulation of a 1950's music studio that uses tape loops, test equipment and early mixers to create some gnarly noise. It's worth at least demoing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n90AKwnNVu4

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)
Craigslist deal $60 Indio Boardwalk. Responded to a $40 telecaster hollow body Glarry and I missed it. Mentioned I was in the market for a hollow body and he offered this guy up.

Really makes the Cordoba Mini II look mini.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Nice! The Cordoba Mini is certifiably badass too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)

nitsuga posted:

Nice! The Cordoba Mini is certifiably badass too.

Hey if you’re in socal it’s currently on Craigslist.