Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I want to say you're joking but it's the x-men so I wouldn't be surprised if this was a thing

What if I told you that was not the stupidest thing in the storyline it occurred in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

bobkatt013 posted:

What if I told you that was not the stupidest thing in the storyline it occurred in?

Well I did some googling and read a CBR article on the top 10 moments of Austen's run and the Iceman thing was even mentioned. After reading the article I'm not surprised it didn't make it. That sounds like an.... interesting time for x-men

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Well I did some googling and read a CBR article on the top 10 moments of Austen's run and the Iceman thing was even mentioned. After reading the article I'm not surprised it didn't make it. That sounds like an.... interesting time for x-men

If you think Austen's stuff is going to be so bad it's good because sometimes it comes off that way and want to read it for that, I must strongly caution this is not the case.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Austen X-Men run? I have never heard of it. I believe it does not exist, in fact. And it's very silly to talk about something that does not exist. Thank you, have a nice day too.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Do you think it's ever awkward when Husk meets with her family and they all try to pretend they didn't watch her and Angel bone right in the air in front of them?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Codependent Poster posted:

Do you think it's ever awkward when Husk meets with her family and they all try to pretend they didn't watch her and Angel bone right in the air in front of them?

Given the number of mutants in the Guthrie family that's probably one of the most vanilla things they've seen.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

"SHE LIES WITH ANGELS..."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

:sweatdrop: ohyousweetsummersbrother.txt

fixed

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Justice for Fish Boy honestly

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
Speaking of Iceman, I've always liked his look from the Age of Apocalypse storyline. He was always in his iceform, his mouth was always covered, and sometimes he would just hover in place. It always looked very alien to me.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

danbanana posted:

I'm convinced this is actually a bit for x-men writers. If you want this job, you gotta tell Bobby to "step up and stop being a kid" and then have him surprise even himself with what he can do with his power!

It's the X-Office's version of the Only Johnny Storm Character Arc

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

One of the things that several of the recent Iceman solos have touched on is the idea that the more that Bobby engages with his more abstract omega-level abilities -- turning into vapor, accessing cold even beyond absolute zero, stuff like that -- the more that it takes a toll on his...well, humanity. So there's a suggestion that fully exploring the potential of being an omega class mutant might not actually be a good thing.

On the one hand, this kinda feels unfair 'cuz no other omega-class mutant seems to have to deal with this kind of drawback*. On the other hand, I kinda like the story hooks this gives. It's hard to get a hold of Luciano Vecchio's recent Iceman Infinity Comic because, well, it's an Infinity Comic that's only on Unlimited right now, but there's a really good scene in there where Christian Frost scoffs at the idea of having to live up to some full mutant potential, deriding it as "capitalist overachiever crap"; the point being, no one is unworthy or "less" of themselves just because they aren't hitting some imaginary high standard for whatever reason.

*Personally, this just enforces my belief that the revised omega class standards of HoXPoX are mostly just bunk. :v: The original, non-trivialized definition of an omega class mutant was that they had infinite power and potential, not that they were the best in the world at doing whatever they did.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's the X-Office's version of the Only Johnny Storm Character Arc

The “Fire and ice: The unbeatable combo!” panel from Days of Future Present has lived in my head since I was a kid. They do like a Predator hand clasp, and steam comes off their hands.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I've read so many X-Men comics this year and honestly the ones I dislike the most are the boring ones. Austen is rarely ever boring so I'll give him that. I think he also writes a strong Juggernaut.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Open Marriage Night posted:

The “Fire and ice: The unbeatable combo!” panel from Days of Future Present has lived in my head since I was a kid. They do like a Predator hand clasp, and steam comes off their hands.

so good and also cheesy which just makes it more good

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I like how it implies Bobby and Johnny are really good friends, they just don't get to hang out very often.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They were both their respective teams youngest member. Bobby could’ve turned out more like Johnny if he was on the team of celebrity adventurers instead of the misfits.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I've heard there was a lot of text that Bobby not being able to access his full mutant potential was directly tied to his inability to accept himself as he was, which tied into the subtext later turned text of him living in the closet. With that in mind, I rather like how much power he's been able to show off now that he has figured himself out and is able to live openly. Turning that on it's head and having him lose his humanity in order to fully use his powers would really ruin that read.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

BrianWilly posted:

*Personally, this just enforces my belief that the revised omega class standards of HoXPoX are mostly just bunk. :v: The original, non-trivialized definition of an omega class mutant was that they had infinite power and potential, not that they were the best in the world at doing whatever they did.

Pretty sure the “no limits other than personal” definition of Omega is still the HoXPoX definition. The idea that they’re the best in the world at X comes from their unlimited potential.There’s even a scene in X-Men 14 where Bobby says something to Synch about being unlimited when he taps into Bobby’s omega level power.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Internet Wizard posted:

Pretty sure the “no limits other than personal” definition of Omega is still the HoXPoX definition. The idea that they’re the best in the world at X comes from their unlimited potential.There’s even a scene in X-Men 14 where Bobby says something to Synch about being unlimited when he taps into Bobby’s omega level power.

I like the idea that the new definition of Omega is something that the Quiet Council hammered out, and in-universe everybody finds it confusing as well.

"But what if Iron Man made a metal-bullet-stopping-machine, does that mean Magneto's not an Omega anymore?"

"Shut up, Shark Girl."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
https://www.cbr.com/x-men-red-uranos-al-ewing-interview/

There are a few lettered pages from next week's X-Men: Red #5 in there.

I'm never not going to be a total sucker for a scene like this. "You have a place in the broken land."

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Between that bit and the Fisher King I'm now pondering the comedic potential of the the brutal Hobbesian Apocalypse-founded war culture of Arrako ending up less of a shitshow than Krakoa

They might already be there, frankly. They got rid of their Sinister equivalent!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gillen says there's no specific reading order for the AXE tie-ins this week (Immortal #6 and AXE Death to Mutants #2)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1567406367807340544

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

I've heard there was a lot of text that Bobby not being able to access his full mutant potential was directly tied to his inability to accept himself as he was, which tied into the subtext later turned text of him living in the closet. With that in mind, I rather like how much power he's been able to show off now that he has figured himself out and is able to live openly. Turning that on it's head and having him lose his humanity in order to fully use his powers would really ruin that read.
I think both concepts can be mutually-inclusive...alternatively, I may be explaining this wrong.

It's not that there's, like, a 1:1 ratio mathematical formula, or something, where the more powerful Bobby is, the less human he is. It's more like, if he's gonna gonna gently caress with the actual laws of physics as only a temperature-manipulator with literally no upper limit can...well, some things may go a wee little bit wrong, maybe. In the case of the Infinity Comic, that meant going below absolute zero made him lose touch with his physical connections (and then he needed the power of love to bring him back, as you do). And in the Sina Grace series, Bobby explained that physically turning into vapor taps into a somewhat disassociative, depressive emotional headspace that he doesn't enjoy. When he does turn to vapor, he has intrusive thoughts about simply disappearing and not coming back.

(Apropos of nothing, all this is why I liked it back when pretty much only Jean and Bobby were the only confirmed omega class mutants, because there was a similar tone to the journey of how her powers developed over the years (This was, of course, back when "being the Phoenix" was literally the evolution of her powers). Fully embracing her own cosmic potential was liberating, but also dangerous, and she had to thread that needle very carefully (which she didn't :xd:), and there's always the question of how much of the original Jean would be left at the end of the day, and whether that sort of change would actually be a good or bad thing, to which there were no real easy answers. That's what being an omega class mutant meant back then: you might be the next evolutionary step towards humanity becoming a higher, more cosmic, more abstract lifeform on par with the Celestials or even beyond that...but the whole thing about changing to that higher state of being might mean losing a lot of what you are now.)

Having unlimited power sounds awesome in theory, but I liked how these stories show that there might be consequences too, and so for Bobby it's not all quite so simple as coming out of the closet and then instantly gaining full mastery over himself. Especially because he did come out relatively later in life, and so all the emotional baggage he's built up from all those years of full-tilt repression don't just go away. I like that Sina Grace and Luciano Vecchio understand this; there's a trauma that adult gay people learn from living in the closet for so long that might not ever go away, and people like Bobby frankly might not ever fully "heal" from that...and so, as much as he's embracing his identity now, this baggage frankly might just affect how much control Iceman has over his his powers forever. And if it does? Well, that's also fine! He has nothing to be ashamed of and nothing to prove to anyone. The only thing he owes to himself is to continue healing from his baggage the best that he can.

...That got a bit long-winded and probably very projective, but anyway.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

I think both concepts can be mutually-inclusive...alternatively, I may be explaining this wrong.

It's not that there's, like, a 1:1 ratio mathematical formula, or something, where the more powerful Bobby is, the less human he is. It's more like, if he's gonna gonna gently caress with the actual laws of physics as only a temperature-manipulator with literally no upper limit can...well, some things may go a wee little bit wrong, maybe. In the case of the Infinity Comic, that meant going below absolute zero made him lose touch with his physical connections (and then he needed the power of love to bring him back, as you do). And in the Sina Grace series, Bobby explained that physically turning into vapor taps into a somewhat disassociative, depressive emotional headspace that he doesn't enjoy. When he does turn to vapor, he has intrusive thoughts about simply disappearing and not coming back.

(Apropos of nothing, all this is why I liked it back when pretty much only Jean and Bobby were the only confirmed omega class mutants, because there was a similar tone to the journey of how her powers developed over the years (This was, of course, back when "being the Phoenix" was literally the evolution of her powers). Fully embracing her own cosmic potential was liberating, but also dangerous, and she had to thread that needle very carefully (which she didn't :xd:), and there's always the question of how much of the original Jean would be left at the end of the day, and whether that sort of change would actually be a good or bad thing, to which there were no real easy answers. That's what being an omega class mutant meant back then: you might be the next evolutionary step towards humanity becoming a higher, more cosmic, more abstract lifeform on par with the Celestials or even beyond that...but the whole thing about changing to that higher state of being might mean losing a lot of what you are now.)

Having unlimited power sounds awesome in theory, but I liked how these stories show that there might be consequences too, and so for Bobby it's not all quite so simple as coming out of the closet and then instantly gaining full mastery over himself. Especially because he did come out relatively later in life, and so all the emotional baggage he's built up from all those years of full-tilt repression don't just go away. I like that Sina Grace and Luciano Vecchio understand this; there's a trauma that adult gay people learn from living in the closet for so long that might not ever go away, and people like Bobby frankly might not ever fully "heal" from that...and so, as much as he's embracing his identity now, this baggage frankly might just affect how much control Iceman has over his his powers forever. And if it does? Well, that's also fine! He has nothing to be ashamed of and nothing to prove to anyone. The only thing he owes to himself is to continue healing from his baggage the best that he can.

Eh, Jean losing her humanity as she unlocks more of her power also tends to rub me the wrong way. But, you make many valid points about Bobby I hadn't considered. Sounds like I should track down Grace and Vecchio's stories.

Moving on, I've been listening to Jay and Miles Xplain the X-Men, and got to the X-Factor story-line "The Judgement War", which seems to be at least partially inspiring, or at last mirroring, some of the story in AXE. In short, the original X-Men team are whisked away to another planet by their sentient ship where they get embroiled in an alien civil war between obvious societal metaphors, all while the Celestials loom overhead preparing a final judgement for the planet. I kind of hope now that AXE ends the same way; with Phoenix channeling the psychic energy of the planets new found unity through Cyclops eyeblast, allowing him to shoot the Celestial's judgement hand clean off.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

the throuple becomes a polycule

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

site posted:

the throuple becomes a polycule

We're gonna need a bigger bedroom

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think this thread will be delighted to know that Wolverine's hot claws made a comeback!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Gologle posted:

I think this thread will be delighted to know that Wolverine's hot claws made a comeback!

:sickos:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Liked seeing Mother Righteous from Legion of X crop up this week

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gologle posted:

I need details!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Immortal was amazing again. Can't believe even Shaw can be an interesting character these days.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Saoshyant posted:

Immortal was amazing again. Can't believe even Shaw can be an interesting character these days.

Amazing what getting thrown out of a window can do for a guy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Saoshyant posted:

I liked how willing he was to accept a negative Judgement until he saw it coming in the form of Frost judging him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm just happy it was even more open that Exodus was in love with his "close personal friend"

And a thumbs up for all Deviants.

Seems like people are being judged for being honest, owning up to their actions, and genuinely trying to do the right thing when presented with the opportunity

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Heavy Metal posted:

I need details!

It was in Ghost Rider sadly, not any of the X-Books.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

BrianWilly posted:

I think it could work with both ways. Like, the more he accepts himself, the more he is able to let go and embrace his physical capabilities and change himself, but the more extreme that change is, the more difficult it is to accept. Like with the water vapor thing. Coming out is more than just a 1 stage journey where you just say "I'M GAY EVERYONE YAY" and then it's all fine, it's a long road of acceptance that isn't always a straight path. Well, for a lot of people. Maybe it's getting easier for the youngins, i sure hope so

It reminds me of the difference between trauma and growth. They're both a kind of change, but with trauma just being change that is too big or too fast for you to deal with in a healthy way.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Work and life left me emotionally drained today so maybe I was feeling my feelings more than usual while reading x-books tonight. That being said a lot of them hit me hard. I came out of the closet later in life than most, so the Somnus story in Marauders hit hard and in a related way so did Daken's on self-judging.

For New Mutants, I lost my younger brother almost two years ago so the raw emotion between Warpath and Daken and the guilt they respectively feel for failing their siblings hit hard too.

Fortunately, none of the Progenitor scenes triggered anything or else that would have been a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just hope that by the end of this event, we get to see Beast get judged so we can have yet another entry into the "Beast getting totally verbally wrecked" series along with Uatu and Young Hank.