Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

If it’s anything like my experience with the booster you have exactly 20 hours to plan on spending the next 20 I’m bed when the boneitis kicks in

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

buglord posted:

BA4/5 booster pioneers, how hard was it to get an appointment? Or can you just walk in to any decrepit CVS/Walgreens and ask for one? Debating trying my luck after work but I don’t know the process yet. Or maybe I should hold off longer like Fauci said until indoor/cuddle season kicks in. Decisions.

CVS turned off all their booster appointments and turned them back on as each store got bivalent, at least that I saw

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/GovKathyHochul/status/1567537998383779857?t=JvTiw0SDBFaGvdWau5aOmA&s=19

This feels like it's somehow worse than doing nothing. Both refusing to institute npis and spreading misinformation amongst those who want to wear masks still

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s a good-natured joke about being irresponsible with other people’s lives.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Meanwhile,

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s a good-natured joke about being irresponsible with other people’s lives.

Which part of it is the funny joke?

I mean, I guess it would be funny to actually print those posters and put them alongside the NJT 'no dicknosing' posters in the PATH.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

NGL, got fixated on the picture, missed the text, and was utterly confused by the idea that there is a place somewhere that forbids African Pygmy Hedgehogs.

Happy to be wrong.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Australia forbids all hedgehogs.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Seems like a classic case of a middle manager having a "funny idea" and refusing all attempts to be talked out of it. Like so:

https://twitter.com/audrawilliams/status/1500669564711014401

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Holy poo poo that dog one is especially loving grim lmao.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com
This Guardian article is dated September 6, 2022:

"Anger at plans to roll back Covid vaccines to under-11s in England"
"Children aged 5-11 will no longer be offered Covid jabs, except those in clinical risk groups, UKHSA confirms"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/06/anger-at-plans-to-roll-back-covid-vaccines-to-under-11s-in-england

I don't live in England or have kids, so this doesn't affect me directly. But... can someone tell me how this works? If UKHSA stops offering the Covid vaccine to parents of children ages 5-11 (apparently there will be exceptions for children with certain health problems) then what options are there for British parents who want to vaccinate their young kids against Covid?

Can they pay a private health care provider to vaccinate their kids? Can they travel to a nearby country to vaccinate their kids?

Victar fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 8, 2022

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Victar posted:

"Children aged 5-11 will no longer be offered Covid jabs, except those in clinical risk groups, UKHSA confirms"

What in the absolute loving christ

As a parent of a 12 year old who is still suffering from debilitating long-COVID symptoms months later, this loving repugnant bullshit that totally escapes justification. I guess Liz Truss is looking to trigger a vote of no confidence on her first day.

:psyduck:

edit: vvv gently caress, I realized that after posting it. I stand by my outrage, though. vvv

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 8, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

What in the absolute loving christ

As a parent of a 12 year old who is still suffering from debilitating long-COVID symptoms months later, this loving repugnant bullshit that totally escapes justification. I guess Liz Truss is looking to trigger a vote of no confidence on her first day.

:psyduck:

It’s policy of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation, not the Prime Minister.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Victar posted:

what options are there for British parents who want to vaccinate their young kids against Covid?

Can they pay a private health care provider to vaccinate their kids?

Yeah. That is in fact the tory party's approach to nationalised healthcare - make it poo poo so that the private health companies they have financial links to get more customers.

And down the road when they want to abolish it, nobody will defend or mourn it since it's been poo poo for ages. Same approach with the BBC.

Gort fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 8, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Victar posted:

This Guardian article is dated September 6, 2022:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/06/anger-at-plans-to-roll-back-covid-vaccines-to-under-11s-in-england

I don't live in England or have kids, so this doesn't affect me directly. But... can someone tell me how this works? If UKHSA stops offering the Covid vaccine to parents of children ages 5-11 (apparently there will be exceptions for children with certain health problems) then what options are there for British parents who want to vaccinate their young kids against Covid?

Can they pay a private health care provider to vaccinate their kids? Can they travel to a nearby country to vaccinate their kids?

There are no private providers of covid-19 vaccinations in the UK at present, with no plans that I'm aware of for this to change.

So no, there are no options. Children will not be able to be vaccinated for covid-19.

Similarly, no-one under 50 except those in clinical risk groups is going to be able to get a bivalent booster, with no plans that I'm aware of for this to change.

But it doesn't matter, because covid is over.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

I AM GRANDO posted:

Trip report: got a day-one booster and a flu shot. One in each arm—covid in the non-dominant arm. If I’m all hosed up tomorrow, I’ll say how.

I got bivalent and flu yesterday.

Today, bivalent arm is sore, but not too bad. I have a headache, like every other Covid shot I’ve had.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The UK is part of the Murdoch media empire, as long as he has his newcorp poo poo, the three major english speaking super power will have covid poo poo.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Gio posted:

Holy poo poo that dog one is especially loving grim lmao.

What, you haven't noticed the openly sadistic streak in a good chunk of the back-to-the-office-at-all-costs folks?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

tagesschau posted:

What, you haven't noticed the openly sadistic streak in a good chunk of the back-to-the-office-at-all-costs folks?

Like the one friend who slips up, says what they really think about you, then tries to reel it in with, "lol nah I'm just kidding".

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Got my bivalent booster today and I am feelin' it.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
What's the meta for getting your flu shot again, mid-september? Start of october?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Got flu and bivalent booster yesterday at about 5:00. I was feeling pretty good all day but am now extremely tired. Both arms sore but not more than the originals or first booster.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Definitely feeling it now. Had trouble sleeping and woke up around 5am for good. Eventually started feeling mostly okay for a few hours, but lunchtime brought that weird static electricity feeling of my nerves being hypersensitive. Took a warm bath and then took kind of a nap until my dogs demanded to go poop. Still feeling sore all over, but no big headache like with the previous doses. Hopefully sleep tonight will cure the side effects and I'll be fine tomorrow, but if not I'll call off from work since it's NBA2k day anyway.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Monkeypox vaccine has been way worse for me.

Got a skin bump for a week so far but I never had any effect from the covid vaccines

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

This is a good policy.

Ommy vaccine scheduled for next week :toot:
Switching to team Moderna since my first 3 Pfizer shots hosed me up for 24-48 hours.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Mods

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ommy vaccine scheduled for next week :toot:
Switching to team Moderna since my first 3 Pfizer shots hosed me up for 24-48 hours.

Funny because I was thinking of trying Pfizer for the same reason.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Funny, my Moderna/flu combo Wednesday left me exhausted, sore, and feverish for 16 starting a few hours after I got it. Could barely get to sleep, freezing cold, woke up burning up in the early morning, then it was like my body couldn't decide whether it was hot or cold. Temperature control still doesn't feel quite right, but at least I was pretty much over it by about 24 hours after the shot.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but my previous vax record was Moderna/Moderna/Pfizer. (Didn't notice the location only offered Pfizer until I was at the appointment, whoops. They say it doesn't matter though.) None of them had remotely the level of reaction as this latest one provoked; the most I noticed was a sore arm for a couple days.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Got the Moderna booster. Glad to finally get that done after waiting all year for an Omicron-focused one. I really didn’t think they’d be able to make the September estimate, but they surprised me. Sad thing (anecdotally) is there were pleeeeeeenty of availabilities because I don’t think anyone cares anymore.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Just finished recovering from the Bivalent Moderna booster myself (got a flu shot as well). Wasn’t too bad, just a sore arm and a day of feeling slightly feverish. I think we’re at a point with COVID vaccines that we might still see an moderate uptake, but there’s going to be a drop-off now that there aren’t news stories of hospitals getting flooded with patients and the vaccine itself hits some people hard for one or more days, which is a strong disincentive when COVID feels like its over for them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Trying to coordinate 5 kids for their shots, while trying to thread the needle of school and sports practices during the week and sports games/meets on the weekends, knowing it’ll take them down for a day or two (most shots have, previously) sucks hard. Plus, two of the kids are toddlers so that’s probably a couple days at home from daycare where mom and I can’t work.

The reaction of the shots really sucks, logistically.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Hi, I'm trying to convince a friend to take the COVID vaccine. The biggest hurdle right now is that there are two articles which speculate about a link between spike protein vaccines and prion disease:

https://scivisionpub.com/pdfs/covid19-rna-based-vaccines-and-the-risk-of-prion-disease-1503.pdf
https://dpbh.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/dpbhnvgov/content/Boards/BOH/Meetings/2021/SENEFF~1.PDF

You'll probably notice that the first paper isn't from a reputable journal, and the second paper is from a reputable journal but the authors are a computer science and a "naturopathic oncologist." So that's enough for me to be skeptical, but I'd also like to know if there are any problems with the plausibility of their models for how COVID vaccines could cause prion disease, or if there's any empirical data that would contradict the conclusion, like rates of neurodegenerative disease amongst vaccinated vs. unvaccinated.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

JazzFlight posted:

Sad thing (anecdotally) is there were pleeeeeeenty of availabilities because I don’t think anyone cares anymore.

LA they filled up quick

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

NotNut posted:

Hi, I'm trying to convince a friend to take the COVID vaccine. The biggest hurdle right now is that there are two articles which speculate about a link between spike protein vaccines and prion disease:

https://scivisionpub.com/pdfs/covid19-rna-based-vaccines-and-the-risk-of-prion-disease-1503.pdf
https://dpbh.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/dpbhnvgov/content/Boards/BOH/Meetings/2021/SENEFF~1.PDF

You'll probably notice that the first paper isn't from a reputable journal, and the second paper is from a reputable journal but the authors are a computer science and a "naturopathic oncologist." So that's enough for me to be skeptical, but I'd also like to know if there are any problems with the plausibility of their models for how COVID vaccines could cause prion disease, or if there's any empirical data that would contradict the conclusion, like rates of neurodegenerative disease amongst vaccinated vs. unvaccinated.

12.6 billion COVID vaccine shots have been given worldwide. There is enough data out there that any significant adverse effects will absolutely have better sourcing than a notorious antivaxxer and patent troll, an infamous Dunning-Kreuger quack, and a guy who promises to cure your cancer by running your blood through a UV lamp and an ozone bubbler.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Scheduled my jab for Tuesday at the local Walgreen's. Feelin' good about that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

NotNut posted:

I’m not a scientist, but the author of the first paper wrote one in 1999 saying that the flu vaccine causes type-1 diabetes, so I’m guessing this is a similarly crank poo poo. If you want someone vulnerable to crank poo poo to think carefully about things like this, ask them why there have been zero cases of a novel prion disease, or even one that’s already known, in anyone who got vaccinated (it’s because like 300 people a year die from Creutzfeldt-Jakob and most of them are dead within five months). Better yet, challenge them to find some and help them search. It’s not air-tight reasoning (eventually somebody who dies of CJ will have coincidentally gotten the vaccine first), but it’s probably compelling to people who are responding on an emotional level.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Got my Omi booster shot yesterday afternoon. Woke up this morning feeling all achy, with a sore arm, but otherwise not so bad. Just kind of feel blah.

Good stuff!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My older son got his bivalent booster today, along with a flu shot. I am really happy about that :)

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Since it's anecdote time i got my flu shot and bivaleny Pfizer booster on Wednesday and suffered zero side effects other than sore arm. Same for my wife although she went to bed at 8:30 pm the following night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is a stupid question, but is there any correlation between side effects of a vaccination and how effective they are? Like, if I don’t feel any effects, my chance of getting sick is greater?