Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You know what, I didn't even look for such a guide. Side effects of being a computer toucher by day, I've no patience for loving with my own poo poo at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

codo27 posted:

I just want everything to be the same. Its not rational, I know.

honestly mate, when i looked into it (and it's VERY hard i havent got it going yet, lol) basically uniformly i got told that any kind of server or long term stable deployment, even a rinky dink personal netflix plex server you wanna use some flavour of linux. hell i had a friend of mine go "oh no no you don't wanna use ubuntu that's got a GUI".

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

CoolCab posted:

honestly mate, when i looked into it (and it's VERY hard i havent got it going yet, lol) basically uniformly i got told that any kind of server or long term stable deployment, even a rinky dink personal netflix plex server you wanna use some flavour of linux. hell i had a friend of mine go "oh no no you don't wanna use ubuntu that's got a GUI".

I'm the exact opposite of being interested in these things, but I'd guess that running without a GUI is desirable if you are just tossing the server in a corner somewhere and accessing it remotely. You'd access any GUI from a remote machine, no need to have it running at all times on a headless server. You'd probably start/restart/maintain the content server from a remote command line and have some kind of web interface for other stuff, then the Plex or other client would just point to the server and run.

All I do is plug a USB drive in my router with the thing I want to watch, it hosts it on an FTP or something and I just access it with VLC or other player on a given device. I get the cool factor of having a massive hard drive somewhere in your house stacked with everything you might someday want to watch or listen to, but it's always seemed like more work than it's worth to me.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
right exactly, to him the idea of constantly running a GUI in ubuntu was a huge waste of resources, let alone running windows 11. you're basically setting up some flavour of NAS and unix is nearly universally considered the superior server OS. that was my initial plan too, leave enough of a normal computer running so i could remote into it on the local network and do admin or whatever, but that was his reaction.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Klyith posted:

Stuttering you blame on AMD: this is a known bug that had been around forever but only got attention when everyone turned on TPM to get 11.

If you're not on the most recent BIOS for your motherboard you can try an update. AMD claims that they fixed this, but they also claimed they fixed the USB bug many times. (In their defense, a long-standing hardware bug that probably dates back to Zen 1 but nobody ever noticed because nobody used fTPM is probably not an easy magic fix.)

Windows not recognizing the TPM, I have no idea. Was this a clean install of 11 with all requirements met / MS account during install / no overrides? It'd be super funny if Windows was successfully unlocking the drive with your TPM key and then claiming you didn't have a TPM.

This is not a new install of windows. I installed it using the normal procedure with fTPM enabled when the update to 11 first came out. Then I turned it back off afterward, but I turned it on again just recently since Microsoft gates insider access to people with TPM. That went great for a week or so until microsoft suddenly decided that I didn't have TPM anymore, even though I didn't change any settings related to that. It was working fine one day and then not at all the next. Classic windows poo poo. The reason I can still boot just fine is presumably because I'm not using drive encryption (I don't loving trust it for exactly this reason)

So with the stuttering poo poo happening, I'm just saying gently caress it and turning fTPM off again. I'm on the latest bios with the latest agesa version, but it doesn't seem to matter. It's hilarious how slapdash all this poo poo still is.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 7, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

codo27 posted:

Side effects of being a computer toucher by day, I've no patiencetime for loving with my own poo poo at home.

I dont hate myself nearly enough to gently caress with any flavor of linux, even if there's chocolate. I'm also going to install teams and poo poo for work and my unifi controller so I dont need to have that on my gaming rig. And use it to browse the web from the couch and poo poo too. Windows will do fine.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Linux is pretty good.

Criss-cross fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 8, 2022

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

codo27 posted:

I just want everything to be the same. Its not rational, I know.

i respect this more than an actual answer to the question OP :cheersdoge:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

barnold posted:

Honestly? Yeah

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

barnold posted:

Yeah, although I'm more OS agnostic about it. At the top level all my desktops look about the same except for the wallpaper - I use blue themes for Windows and green themes for Linux. Otherwise they look just about the same.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Criss-cross posted:

Linux is pretty good.

I actually really like Linux on my Steam Deck. 🤔

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, although I'm more OS agnostic about it. At the top level all my desktops look about the same except for the wallpaper - I use blue themes for Windows and green themes for Linux. Otherwise they look just about the same.

I have my Linux machines set up to look like Windows 9x, complete with startup sound.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I have my Linux machines set up to look like Windows 9x, complete with startup sound.

Back on like KDE 3.5 or so I used to always run what I think was called the "Redmond" theme that basically looked like Windows 9x.

I still run KDE, but Plasma 5 looks so much like Windows 10/11 I don't have to deliberately theme it.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Is there really no way to disable auto connecting to paired Bluetooth speakers in Windows? Trying to Google for it, all hits are variants of "just remove the device" or "just turn off Bluetooth" which is really dumb.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Keito posted:

Is there really no way to disable auto connecting to paired Bluetooth speakers in Windows? Trying to Google for it, all hits are variants of "just remove the device" or "just turn off Bluetooth" which is really dumb.

I have to do the same thing on Android and I'm pretty sure on iOS (with earbuds that aren't multipair) so it isn't like it a Windows-specific thing. Annoying, yes, but common.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have to do the same thing on Android and I'm pretty sure on iOS (with earbuds that aren't multipair) so it isn't like it a Windows-specific thing. Annoying, yes, but common.

I've also got the speakers paired on an iPhone, Android Tablet, Macbook and a Linux desktop, and Windows is the only thing that insists on connecting to them on boot while everything else leaves it up to me to connect.

Then again, I now remember that I've complained earlier in this thread that there's no way to initiate connection to a paired device from the Windows side, so I guess you'd just be unable to connect anyway if it didn't happen automatically. Bluetooth support in Windows seems really subpar across the board TBH.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Keito posted:

I've also got the speakers paired on an iPhone, Android Tablet, Macbook and a Linux desktop, and Windows is the only thing that insists on connecting to them on boot while everything else leaves it up to me to connect.

Then again, I now remember that I've complained earlier in this thread that there's no way to initiate connection to a paired device from the Windows side, so I guess you'd just be unable to connect anyway if it didn't happen automatically. Bluetooth support in Windows seems really subpar across the board TBH.

I haven't used it much in 11, but in 10 it's way better than it used to be. I use Bluetooth audio devices every day, and get annoyed when my phone autoconnects to the earbuds I actually want to connect to Windows. The process is that I have to disconnect them from Android, then I use the Windows Bluetooth controls in Settings to connect to the earbuds. It pretty much just works for me nowadays. :shrug:

The headset I use for work autoconnects to iOS and Windows without a problem. Well, the loving iPhone has decided to start dropping the connection for no apparent reason at random times (luckily not during calls), but that's my biggest personal Bluetooth gripe at the moment.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Keito posted:

There absolutely is, there's a big "Connect" button at the top of the devices settings view in Windows 11.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

CoolCab posted:

right exactly, to him the idea of constantly running a GUI in ubuntu was a huge waste of resources, let alone running windows 11. you're basically setting up some flavour of NAS and unix is nearly universally considered the superior server OS. that was my initial plan too, leave enough of a normal computer running so i could remote into it on the local network and do admin or whatever, but that was his reaction.

Set up a home media server box with Windows server just to spite him.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Sep 9, 2022

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Criss-cross posted:

There absolutely is, there's a big "Connect" button at the top of the devices settings view in Windows 11.

Are you on some early pilot/testing release track of W11? Because there sure isn't on mine, neither was there the last time I was complaining about this

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Not specifically about Windows here, but what's the actual difference between these two YubiKeys?

https://amzn.eu/d/iODvGU0

https://amzn.eu/d/1d4mlXl

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Keito posted:

My bluetooth devices tend to automatically attempt to reconnect to the host they were last connected to - it may not be anything to do with windows depending on your usage patterns.

You absolutely can initiate connections from current, public release windows 11 for paired devices though - on the bluetooth settings app if you click on the device's menu there should be a connect option. Though this might depend on what kind of device it is. Really, bluetooth itself is a horrible mess. I wouldn't blame a particular OS or device for the weird issues it has.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Connected my phone to my monitors once and now my phone always connects to them even thought the input is on USB and not BT. Its really about time something replaced bluetooth.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
bluetooth's scam is that they designed all these hot new QoL features like remembering devices and auto-connection but made it so that in a practical sense every device can only really "remember" one other device at a time

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

barnold posted:

bluetooth's scam is that they designed all these hot new QoL features like remembering devices and auto-connection but made it so that in a practical sense every device can only really "remember" one other device at a time

What kind of UI for selecting a connection are you gonna put on a wireless speaker box?

Like, my headphones can remember 3 host pairings. They connect to whatever they were last connected to, because otherwise what are they gonna do? Not connect to anything by default? That would suck for 99% of users.

If I want to connect to my phone instead of my PC, I turn off bluetooth on the PC for a minute.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Klyith posted:

What kind of UI for selecting a connection are you gonna put on a wireless speaker box?

use the button you hold down to begin the scanning to switch between remembered devices, like the Xbox controller does if you have multiple consoles/use the USB adapter on PC

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

I actually really like Linux on my Steam Deck. 🤔

Also on Raspberry Pi. Linux is good when there are dedicated engineers supporting specific device.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I'm having issues setting up NFS shares in Windows 11. It seems like Windows Defender is the culprit, but I wanted to see if the thread has any insights?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Turn Defender off and see if it works?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

..btt posted:

My bluetooth devices tend to automatically attempt to reconnect to the host they were last connected to - it may not be anything to do with windows depending on your usage patterns.

You absolutely can initiate connections from current, public release windows 11 for paired devices though - on the bluetooth settings app if you click on the device's menu there should be a connect option. Though this might depend on what kind of device it is. Really, bluetooth itself is a horrible mess. I wouldn't blame a particular OS or device for the weird issues it has.

You're right, the "Connect" option is there for my Bluetooth headphones while everything else only has "Remove device" in that menu. I've never seen this distinction elsewhere so it's pretty weird to me.

The speakers just passively sit there and never initiate connection themselves, but I guess I will just have to not use them with Windows if its auto connect when Bluetooth is on can't be disabled. I only ever want to use speakers when listening to music and not feeling like wearing headphones.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
For reference, this is how it looks for me, on Windows 11 22H2

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

A Bad King posted:

I'm having issues setting up NFS shares in Windows 11. It seems like Windows Defender is the culprit, but I wanted to see if the thread has any insights?

Can you be more specific about the issue you're having? Google searches turn up the basic process and maybe a few people having issues, but nothing regarding Defender preventing them from mounting or creating shares.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

CoolCab posted:

I might be off base but I don't think having GUI packages installed on an Ubuntu server will use significant resources outside of a bit of disk space. That is, unless you actually log into a GUI user session and then you're making use of the GUI so isn't it worth it? In my mind the main reason to avoid it would just be additional package dependencies and update complexity.

Anecdotally, I know you can run Kubuntu 22.04 just fine on an Atom with 2GB of memory and 16GB eMMC. Plex doesn't use much memory, so I think it'd take a pretty marginal configuration for a desktop environment to make a difference. Also I run Fedora KDE on my Plex server and use it to listen to music/shitpost while on my exercise bike and I've never seen any issues, but I use an i5-10400 with 16GB of memory so it'd be pretty dire if KDE resource use was a problem.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Windows 11 2022 Update is now available for download:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows11

Most of the initial drawbacks to updating from Windows 10, for me anyway, are addressed in this release, mainly drag and drop using the taskbar.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

drag and drop using the taskbar.

Cool, finally.

Does anyone use the android emulator thing? How are Google services?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Is it possible now to put the taskbar to the side of the screen? As stupid as it sounds it's the main reason I've not upgraded yet.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

after that update windows installed spotify and set it to run on startup by itself

epic, i love my computer feeling like a cheap bloated android phone

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

repiv posted:

after that update windows installed spotify and set it to run on startup by itself

epic, i love my computer feeling like a cheap bloated android phone

Windows was where that poo poo was invented in the first place, but now you're getting the proper OEM bloat experience without needing any OEM involved.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Laughing Zealot posted:

Is it possible now to put the taskbar to the side of the screen? As stupid as it sounds it's the main reason I've not upgraded yet.

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I just updated and no Spotify or anything else was installed, because on the "Let's customize your windows experience" startup screen I selected "No, thanks" to the options. It was three clicks.