Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I'm a catgirl

Nya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Endorph posted:

geralt in witcher 3 grunts more than every other video game character put together

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

greetings

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there are almost no games and even movies which have purely naturalistic dialogue lol because pure "how people talk irl" naturalism ends up being weird on screen because we don't expect it

Also this is a gsme where people make giant rear end theatrical speeches about the planet or the Shinra Corporation while on a mission or something which has never happened to me

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
said it before and i'll say it again, the vocalizations are a way to signpost character action/movement in certain games and they're mostly innocuous

but that scene with rude is a ridiculous example, the guy was obviously caught off-balance by the phone call and stammering like a doofus as his brain freewheeled between "try, with great difficulty, to intimidate aerith with phone to ear" or "tell reno this isn't a great time"

e: the man needed to roll like a 12 on that Composure check and he didn't even make it halfway

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is currently 77.6% finished.

Supernova Remake is 23% finished.

Zero VGS posted:

Hrng?! Tsch.

Metal Gear?!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
to a large extent it's just how dialogue backchanneling works in a lot of Japanese media lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

to a large extent it's just how dialogue backchanneling works in a lot of Japanese media lol

If they'd been garnished with a few 'mm hmm' or 'uh huh's I'm sure these people who punch through their TV anytime 18 people start making not word sounds in a martial arts fight scene might've escaped getting a Darkest Dungeon affliction.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

I guess Ward is the "dragoon" for FFVIII? Kinda lame tbh

Ward is cool and him running over to pick the spear back up is great

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Grunting?

Mmm... Hrmmmmm...

Mmm...mmm... Mm!

Oh-hoh! Forgive me. I was absorbed in thought.

Oxxidation posted:

said it before and i'll say it again, the vocalizations are a way to signpost character action/movement in certain games and they're mostly innocuous

but that scene with rude is a ridiculous example, the guy was obviously caught off-balance by the phone call and stammering like a doofus as his brain freewheeled between "try, with great difficulty, to intimidate aerith with phone to ear" or "tell reno this isn't a great time"

e: the man needed to roll like a 12 on that Composure check and he didn't even make it halfway

:same: It's not something that I really noticed until it was pointed out. I'll also add that it helps to emphasize a character's emotion (grunt of disapproval, confusion, etc.)

I'd argue that it's something that maybe becomes more apparent if it's really frequent. With FF7R presumably having a lot more VA work than, say, FFX, you might pick on it more in 7R than you would in 10, despite both games doing that.

Still, could be worse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-zsUdwMtac

Feels Villeneuve posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aizuchi

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 8, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Man I grunt just from getting out of bed or a chair. Then again my avatar has a penis with eyeballs in it so I suppose it's technically anime?

I only played a little bit more of 7R today. I do kind of like that Tifa's character is getting a little more attention, like her being a little scared to go on the bombing mission and her having reservations about the death and destruction they're causing. I'm a little surprised that so far they're still adamant about me not going on the next bombing mission, but one of those ghost dudes was floating around when Cloud leaves so it'll probably do its best to make sure he gets on it.

I'm a little surprised the motorcycle minigame showed up this early, but I love the motorcycle minigame so I'm cool with that. I don't know what to think of that new guy Roche though. Seems kind of like an unnecessary addition, though I only just met him and it's possible he's more interesting and plot relevant later.

And speaking of plot relevant, one thing I noticed and thought was interesting (though I don't know if it's ever followed up on) is that after the bombing mission before Cloud jumps on the train, one of the Shinra grunts seems to recognize him.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I only played a little bit more of 7R today. I do kind of like that Tifa's character is getting a little more attention,

This was a big point of the scene you mentioned the other day about rescuing Johnny. The actual rescuing of Johnny was whatever- it's what Cloud was proposing and how Tifa reacted to it (and him) that is building the characters up. Sure, the game has some fluff sidequests, but a lot of the stuff that was added really does go a long way on really fleshing out the characters much better than the original ever did.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

This was a big point of the scene you mentioned the other day about rescuing Johnny. The actual rescuing of Johnny was whatever- it's what Cloud was proposing and how Tifa reacted to it (and him) that is building the characters up. Sure, the game has some fluff sidequests, but a lot of the stuff that was added really does go a long way on really fleshing out the characters much better than the original ever did.

Yeah, Cloud not even hesitating to go "Let's just kill this dweeb" when it comes to Johnny and Tifa going "Wait, what the gently caress?" is a big moment for the relationship between himself and Tifa as the Remake is playing it out.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm a little surprised the motorcycle minigame showed up this early, but I love the motorcycle minigame so I'm cool with that. I don't know what to think of that new guy Roche though. Seems kind of like an unnecessary addition, though I only just met him and it's possible he's more interesting and plot relevant later.

Roche owns

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The grunting is kinda weird and occasionally offputting, I don't get why why people are so quick to circle their wagons and insist it's completely normal for a man and a woman to have a 10 second conversation that's nothing but odd stilted noises

But also very fail mod post, if you wanna take sides and call people idiots you should hand in your badge imo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No Dignity posted:

The grunting is kinda weird and occasionally offputting, I don't get why why people are so quick to circle their wagons and insist it's completely normal for a man and a woman to have a 10 second conversation that's nothing but odd stilted noises

But also very fail mod post, if you wanna take sides and call people idiots you should hand in your badge imo

Well it's mainly that people use the most dogshit examples to support their arguments when they do decide to resurrect this conversation.

And yet even despite that this isn't nearly as bad as Kingdom Hearts' almost non-existent voice direction.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

if you feel so uncomfortable about a part of the game that you mod it out, why are you even playing it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

UnderFreddy posted:

if you feel so uncomfortable about a part of the game that you mod it out, why are you even playing it

You can't say that, the greatest mods in the universe are the ones that skip the Skyrim and Fallout 3 intros.

If people need to mod FF7Remake so everyone stays silent during combat and cutscenes like a Dark Souls protagonist or Kirby then who are we to judge?

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 8, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It's okay, I know how to make everyone happy: replace every single grunt with an MCU-style quip.

I may have gotten 'happy' and 'miserable' confused.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I circle the wagon because I think it’s an extremely stupid thing to care about and I honestly can’t tell how anyone could care about it.

Like if it’s one of those RPGs we’re they have extremely repetitive battle dialogue that I can get, but grunting?

Sorry that’s just weird

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

DanielCross posted:

Yeah, Cloud not even hesitating to go "Let's just kill this dweeb" when it comes to Johnny and Tifa going "Wait, what the gently caress?" is a big moment for the relationship between himself and Tifa as the Remake is playing it out.

It cracked me up that Cloud's immediate reaction was just like "welp, better kill him" without a moment of hesitation

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Final Fantasy

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Final Fantasy

gay

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mega64 posted:

Final Fantasy

If it’s so good where’s Final Fantasy 2?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mega64 posted:

Final Fantasy

How dare you

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://twitter.com/GamerTonberry/status/1567652804566650880?s=20&t=7R-y9hqnDNSVUv-nWMmmJA

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A dementia-riddled idiot just like his son

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Mega64 posted:

Final Fantasy

mods??

Electromax
May 6, 2007

My favorite FF8 mods: https://youtu.be/tr0dCcSM1q0

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No Dignity posted:

it's completely normal for a man and a woman to have a 10 second conversation that's nothing but odd stilted noises
i cannot imagine a more normal way for a 20-something guy with no friends and a girl who has had a crush on him for a decade to interact

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Loving FFV. It’s got to be up there as one of my favorites. Can’t believe I never really got into it before.

Actually I can, I had it for PSX and there’s no way any sane person could deal with those encounter rates and load times. Seemed much more forgivable on the 3D FFs.

But customizable job systems make grinding kind of addictive. Back in the day it was the same thing with FFT.

Just broke the illusion on Exdeath’s Castle. I think I only have one more job to get. It is a little weird having an overleveled party and a bunch of extra abilities on a first time play through but not also really being compelled to see what happens next in the story; it seems to hit a lot of the beats of III with a few extra twists thrown in. Pretty sure I’ve already guessed what’s going to happen in the finale. The big character death didn’t really have any impact on gameplay, unlike VII where you’d actually have to make adjustments if the doomed one was a character you used. …But drat it I just want to change my guys around and see all the different things they can do. It’s so fun!

I knew who was going to die, and I had kind of intended to preempt the ironic reversal (the one who you’d have been likely to make into a bruiser tank has all their numbers put on a teen girl) by making either Lenna or Faris the HP/weapon damage person, but a few hours in I decided to try and make the party kind of mirror FFX… Butz for fast damage like Tidus, Galuf the heavy hitter like Auron, Lenna a WM/SMN like Yuna, and Faris is Kimhari. I thought I could build the characters also going those lines for the first part of the game then switch it up, but whoops after making Faris a Red Mage with Blue Magic for a long time suddenly they have Dualcast so now they’re the glass cannon mage. Butz got dual-wield but also has mug so while I feel like it’s always annoying choosing between utility and damage potential I at least mostly kept him in the fast hitter paradigm and he’s ready to start down the Ranger path now. Lenna is taking a long-rear end detour down Red Mage now, with either Blue Magic or Summon as secondary depending on situation. The Gold Hairpin seems most useful on her because Faris has Gaia for the trash mobs. Krile though is, uh, a Monk with equip armor, and I don’t really want to give up the rear end-beating path I’ve set them down now. So much for flipping the script.

Guess I’ll just have to play it again.

Playing the PR version and now I’m kind of wishing it had the bonus dungeons and super bosses. I crave more and more, stronger enemies and longer dungeons. Don’t care about the extra jobs, but I do wish they’d have brought back Vikings from III.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 8, 2022

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

What I heard about the PSX versions was that 1 and 2 could fit entirely within ram but the SNES games wouldn't so they naively emulated bank switching which required disc seeking which really slowed everything down. The games made for PSX were designed with disc seeks in mind so they (mostly) had better loading times despite having way more data to move around.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Loving FFV. It’s got to be up there as one of my favorites. Can’t believe I never really got into it before.

Actually I can, I had it for PSX and there’s no way any sane person could deal with those encounter rates and load times. Seemed much more forgivable on the 3D FFs.

But customizable job systems make grinding kind of addictive. Back in the day it was the same thing with FFT.

Just broke the illusion on Exdeath’s Castle. I think I only have one more job to get. It is a little weird having an overleveled party and a bunch of extra abilities on a first time play through but not also really being compelled to see what happens next in the story; it seems to hit a lot of the beats of III with a few extra twists thrown in. Pretty sure I’ve already guessed what’s going to happen in the finale. The big character death didn’t really have any impact on gameplay, unlike VII where you’d actually have to make adjustments if the doomed one was a character you used. …But drat it I just want to change my guys around and see all the different things they can do. It’s so fun!

I knew who was going to die, and I had kind of intended to preempt the ironic reversal (the one who you’d have been likely to make into a bruiser tank has all their numbers put on a teen girl) by making either Lenna or Faris the HP/weapon damage person, but a few hours in I decided to try and make the party kind of mirror FFX… Butz for fast damage like Tidus, Galuf the heavy hitter like Auron, Lenna a WM/SMN like Yuna, and Faris is Kimhari. I thought I could build the characters also going those lines for the first part of the game then switch it up, but whoops after making Faris a Red Mage with Blue Magic for a long time suddenly they have Dualcast so now they’re the glass cannon mage. Butz got dual-wield but also has mug so while I feel like it’s always annoying choosing between utility and damage potential I at least mostly kept him in the fast hitter paradigm and he’s ready to start down the Ranger path now. Lenna is taking a long-rear end detour down Red Mage now, with either Blue Magic or Summon as secondary depending on situation. The Gold Hairpin seems most useful on her because Faris has Gaia for the trash mobs. Krile though is, uh, a Monk with equip armor, and I don’t really want to give up the rear end-beating path I’ve set them down now. So much for flipping the script.

Guess I’ll just have to play it again.

Playing the PR version and now I’m kind of wishing it had the bonus dungeons and super bosses. I crave more and more, stronger enemies and longer dungeons. Don’t care about the extra jobs, but I do wish they’d have brought back Vikings from III.

There’s a reason I ranked it #1 (among single player FFs) in the OP, it’s really just the best. It’s dumb, it’s charming, it’s fun, it even has Exdeath say “gwahahaha”

It also has Gilgamesh in his starring role as “Butz’s best friend”

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Also this is a game where people make giant rear end theatrical speeches about the planet or the Shinra Corporation while on a mission or something which has never happened to me
Have you tried making the giant rear end theatrical speeches yourself and seeing if that inspires others to follow suit? Be the change you want to see!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

i cannot imagine a more normal way for a 20-something guy with no friends and a girl who has had a crush on him for a decade to interact

Yeah its a man with brain damage and a literal brain demon making him unable to remember who he is and also what's real or not and a woman who cares a lot for him and is so happy to see him she doesn't want to upset him by asking "Hey you seem weird as hell what's going on?". Them being that awkward is...the point.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I think the Rude scene is actually due to the difficulty of interruptions and overlaps, not anime-grunts. It's the same thing that happens in theater when one character on stage is supposed to be interrupted but the other actor is slightly behind the cue and the first actor doesn't have an understanding of what the rest of the line was supposed to be.

"Brutus, this sober form of yours hides wrongs, And when you do thCrassius! Be content!" tells the audience something very different about the characters than

"Brutus, this sober form of yours hides wrongs, And when you do them ... [mid-sentence pause, chew on the implications of the words 'them' and 'wrong'] Crassius! Be content!" [delayed, considering]

All of this is to say that this is a very difficult challenge when you have actors and a director, in person, with people in front of them and the space actively being blocked out reading a script with 400 years of analysis. I imagine it becomes immensely more complicated when voice actors are reading lines from a translated script, maybe without even having a visual of the scene to go off of and that scene was blocked with lines in a different language. It's easy to forget that the scenes were blocked in a different language because the lip-sync effects, but sometimes things just take different amounts of time to say and use different body language in different languages. When the dub doesn't work for the scene, if the production catches it, the producers are probably asking themselves: is it worth $10,000 for a reshoot of these lines, or is this good enough? The reshoot might not be better, maybe keep it and hopefully the audience will read it as stammering or being interrupted. Either of those get the point across and let us move on with the story which works in either case. Ship it.

Keep an eye out though and I think you'll see the same short-hand being used to try and smooth over difficult voice actor interactions fairly often. I think it's distinct from action-kiai sounds and the manga sound effects its usually attributed to.

piL fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 8, 2022

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

MagusofStars posted:

Have you tried making the giant rear end theatrical speeches yourself and seeing if that inspires others to follow suit? Be the change you want to see!

Thank you kindly good sir for the opportunity to fill the stomach and enhance the body. For is it not the body that feeds the soul and the soul which makes us us? In so doing, you are helping make me a more thoughtful man, a better man, and leads me to strive in the same for others. This simple gesture--simple gestures like these they build a society. Do not let the rigors and demands of...

Hm? No, put the sauce on the side please. Yes, I'll move along.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Who do I stand with if I abide grunts but think they should sound more like 'ope."

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
All grunts should be in the form of Tim "Tim ""the Toolman"" Taylor" Allen's grunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I want Chinese dubbed grunts for all of the combat.