Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

grieving for Gandalf posted:

this thread is too often full of nerds arguing about how Linux it is or some poo poo instead of sharing cool poo poo you can do with your Deck

I think there's a big misunderstanding here.

The cool poo poo is the tinkering The games are auxiliary.

Your priorities are out of whack imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

this thread is too often full of nerds arguing about how Linux it is or some poo poo instead of sharing cool poo poo you can do with your Deck

This is the price we pay for Linux finally becoming a viable gaming platform. It's a price I'm willing to pay.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Random Stranger posted:

I played some Slay the Spire last night on mine. The controller interface flaked out mid-run and I had to start using the touch screen and that led to me accidentally taking a relic that ruined my build when I was just trying to get a tool tip on what it did.

Also, my experiment with streaming a game from my desktop was a trainwreck. Studders and jerkiness. I might try again sometime, but I don't have much hope that this will work for me with games that don't run properly on the deck.

If you use a geforce card, moonlight sometimes runs a bit better than steam link (though I was surprised at just how little latency there was streaming to my phone over LTE using steam link!)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

yeah so post about cool poo poo you can do, as I wrote. stop bickering about "it's Arch," "actually it's NOT Arch," no one cares about that!!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

It's like Skyrim modding. I spent a week on getting it just so - that was fun. Will I now go on and play it? Who knows.

Badly Jester posted:

This is the price we pay for Linux finally becoming a viable gaming platform. It's a price I'm willing to pay.

:emptyquote:

yeah so post about cool poo poo you can do, as I wrote. stop bickering about "it's Arch," "actually it's NOT Arch," no one cares about that!!

Point taken!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I played some Slay the Spire last night on mine. The controller interface flaked out mid-run and I had to start using the touch screen and that led to me accidentally taking a relic that ruined my build when I was just trying to get a tool tip on what it did.

Also, my experiment with streaming a game from my desktop was a trainwreck. Studders and jerkiness. I might try again sometime, but I don't have much hope that this will work for me with games that don't run properly on the deck.

twice i've had the controls just stop responding on games, not sure what that's about

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Arcade Paradise is a fun plain old steam game, but it encourages using the joystick, dpad, and touch pads regularly so the controls are very well suited to it

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

twice i've had the controls just stop responding on games, not sure what that's about

It seems to be in certain games and related to their implementation of Steam Input. Death Stranding: Director's Cut has all kinds of Steam Input issues that the original game did not, leading to unhideable mouse cursors and double inputs on desktop and on Steam Deck every results screen has a random chance of ceasing all input from the controls!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm sure Cemu will have a workable Flatpak in a few weeks or so since seamless Deck support is wishlist feature #1 for the newly open-sourced Cemu at the moment, there's no need to go crazy installing C++ compilers and build systems onto your handheld videogaming console. Good luck to the contributors getting the necessary KDE Wayland multi-head craziness to work though, they're going to need it.

Flatpak is a really good piece of software and I'm glad to see Valve bringing it to the mainstream by supporting it on the Deck.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
'theres no need to go crazy' kinda goes against the whole pathos of linux gaming, i feel

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

This should work for fast charging the Deck while it's connected to a USB hub, right? I know the Deck uses 45W PD for fast charging, but it's not normally using anywhere near that amount of power, so a 45W charger supplying power to both the Deck and hub should be fine, right?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Why play games on the Deck when you can sniff the vent and get high.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I played a video game on it, OP

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m playing Goldeneye and it runs so so well.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

UP AND ADAM posted:

Arcade Paradise is a fun plain old steam game, but it encourages using the joystick, dpad, and touch pads regularly so the controls are very well suited to it

It also recently received a patch to fix that weird resolution issue on the Deck.

If you trialed it a few weeks ago, but were frustrated by this, try it now!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Commander Keene posted:

This should work for fast charging the Deck while it's connected to a USB hub, right?
Yes, it's essentially the same as the OEM charger.

jfrancis
Nov 7, 2005

I look smarter than I am.

v1ld posted:

To enable writes:
sudo steamos-readonly disable

To enable installing arch packages:
sudo pacman-key --init
sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux

Try searching for the packages you want in Arch contrib and extra, and then in AUR. Most things are in one of those and Arch packages are usually very well curated. Use yay instead of pacman to search both sources at the same time:
yay -S packagename

Add this to the OP. Thanks!

Lore Crimes
Jul 22, 2007

Came here to ask how I can give the protontricks flatpak adequate flatseal permissions (?) to actually work and see that very software has become a piece of a long linux debate.

So while I don’t mean to step back into that I wonder how others have had success getting the flatpak to work? Seems to fail on adding dlls with more involved installs (possibly gui?) like amstream, quartz etc., but there’s not great logging to tell me what’s up. The sandboxing is my best guess? I’d prefer to use the flatpak version (due to laziness really) but if it’s gonna get results I’ll try the package itself.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I love how this thread oscillates between "I am playing Vampire Survivors on the toilet" and then a bunch of incomprehensible advanced compsci stuff every other post

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I got all the vampire survivors unlocks I guess I’m done with it :/

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It’s sucks that you can’t choose different branches of flatpaks - the citra nightly that’s currently available is over a month old, and has a bug where you can’t right click a game and open the folder path. The citra canary branch fixes it, but it needs to be updated manually, which is annoying.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

UP AND ADAM posted:

also lets you use the touchscreen to control your in-game palm pilot!

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 8, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Gay Retard posted:

It’s sucks that you can’t choose different branches of flatpaks - the citra nightly that’s currently available is over a month old, and has a bug where you can’t right click a game and open the folder path. The citra canary branch fixes it, but it needs to be updated manually, which is annoying.
Use the EmuDeck Tool Updater, it allows you to pick the version you install IIRC.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
got my games downloaded and took the deck for a spin. it was wild to go from playing death stranding to commander keen to metal gear revengeance all on the same handheld. 10/10.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Use the EmuDeck Tool Updater, it allows you to pick the version you install IIRC.

well it says this but when i attempted to get it to install cemu 2.0, it just installed 1.26

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

well it says this but when i attempted to get it to install cemu 2.0, it just installed 1.26

Same, and it doesn't ask me what version of Citra I want installed.

Edit: It looks like Cemu will eventually add it to flatpak. Hopefully it's only a matter of time before every major emulator has flatpak support.

Edit2: When I download emulators from Flatpak like Citra and Flightcade, when I attempt to "Open ROM file location", the apps never open Dolphin file explorer with the path. Any advice? Downloading these apps outside of Flatpak do not have this issue

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 8, 2022

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Gay Retard posted:

Same, and it doesn't ask me what version of Citra I want installed.

Edit: It looks like Cemu will eventually add it to flatpak. Hopefully it's only a matter of time before every major emulator has flatpak support.

Edit2: When I download emulators from Flatpak like Citra and Flightcade, when I attempt to "Open ROM file location", the apps never open Dolphin file explorer with the path. Any advice? Downloading these apps outside of Flatpak do not have this issue

its a permissions issue. flatseal or whatever its called should in theory be able to give it permissions, but ive only halway gotten it to work. I suspect messing around with what environmental variables or something it gets could do something, but shrug

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Flatpack is what people call my crotch ever since i got addicted to the deck fumes

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The way my eyes glaze over and brain switches over to thinking about a cymbal monkey when people are posting about Linux stuff in this thread must be how normal people react to any computer talk.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Super No Vacancy posted:

I got all the vampire survivors unlocks I guess I’m done with it :/

I've said this at least half a dozen times this year

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The real safety switch is that they provide a recovery image for when things go wrong.

The real safety switch is the recovery images we made along the way. :colbert:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The functional difference between a Steam Deck and your Linux laptop is that your laptop has a size-appropriate monitor and built-in hardware keyboard. Which is to say they're entirely different.

Like, I get it, that Valve has made a gaming handheld that's so open to hobbyists that you could use it as a makeshift desktop is a very novel thing. But it's not a desktop, it's not intended to be a desktop. Straight-up installing Windows 11 on it would make it closer to an actual desktop than Steam OS.

It's not a laptop!

This is my sentiment as well. The Dreck is definitely more than the Switch, the latter of which is a neat portable gaming handheld that nevertheless only barely runs somewhat demanding games, and doesn't do a whole lot else (I mean you can watch Youtube on it but that's not saying much.) It's nice that the Dreck technically is a PC and can more or less do the same stuff you can do with most other PCs, but it's really not an ordinary PC. It's, at best, a gaming handheld that can do some other stuff if you want, but with a lot of software and/or hardware workarounds. Using it in desktop mode with no peripherals isn't a great experience, or at least it wasn't for me. You really need to add a keyboard and mouse, but then you're halfway towards what this genius did which is fine because it's his money and his extra effort to make that work, but as most of the commenters stated, you're better off with a laptop at that point.

Commander Keene posted:

This should work for fast charging the Deck while it's connected to a USB hub, right? I know the Deck uses 45W PD for fast charging, but it's not normally using anywhere near that amount of power, so a 45W charger supplying power to both the Deck and hub should be fine, right?

Not only does this one appear to be rated identically to the OEM PSU, it specifically does 15 V @ 3 A, which is the maximum the Dreck will draw, so it's perfect. For an alternative design at half the price, this is an equivalent option.

They also have this power bank, which will be fine for the Dreck, most non-gaming laptops, your phone, and plenty of other devices. The outputs are good, the energy capacity is decent, and it's not a smoking deal compared to alternatives that show up now and then, but it's a reliable option.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Atomizer posted:

a gaming handheld that can do some other stuff if you want, but with a lot of software and/or hardware workarounds.

rolls off the tongue

I hope the taxonomical debate rages on until the inevitable conclusion that consoles don't exist anymore.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Atomizer posted:

Not only does this one appear to be rated identically to the OEM PSU, it specifically does 15 V @ 3 A, which is the maximum the Dreck will draw, so it's perfect. For an alternative design at half the price, this is an equivalent option.

They also have this power bank, which will be fine for the Dreck, most non-gaming laptops, your phone, and plenty of other devices. The outputs are good, the energy capacity is decent, and it's not a smoking deal compared to alternatives that show up now and then, but it's a reliable option.
Just wanted to make sure that 45W would power the Deck and a hub and still allow for fast charging on the Deck. I know you and another poster were having a debate a few pages back over whether 100W was complete overkill vs. 60/65W IIRC, but I wanted to make sure 45 was OK.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

I installed Clone Hero on mine. Strumming for my kid while he plonked his way through Iron Man/Easy was actually really rewarding. I brought it over to a friend's house, too. A good time was had by all. I need to install more songs.

I feel like the really ground breaking poo poo is an iteration or two away, though. From what I've read online, the Steam Deck can't push a high enough frame rate for VR yet. Valve clearly views VR as the Next Big Thing, and a Steam Deck with sufficient system specs would be perfectly positioned to take over for the PC, eliminating the need to run a cable. This in turn would make VR actually viable to a lot of people, myself included.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

holy poo poo Metroid Prime Trilogy with Primehack is amazing on the Deck. Is there any other custom emulators that really transform a game to be absolutely perfect on the machine?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I had a similar response when I got it working (on pc). The only trouble was figuring out the bindings.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The only thing I'm not entirely sure how to do yet is change beams, because I haven't gotten a second beam yet (IIRC the Wave Beam is second?). I'm sure it's something like "hold a button and D-Pad direction" because that's probably how I'd do it myself, but the emulator bindings aren't very helpful about that.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Mooktastical posted:

I installed Clone Hero on mine. Strumming for my kid while he plonked his way through Iron Man/Easy was actually really rewarding. I brought it over to a friend's house, too. A good time was had by all. I need to install more songs.

I feel like the really ground breaking poo poo is an iteration or two away, though. From what I've read online, the Steam Deck can't push a high enough frame rate for VR yet. Valve clearly views VR as the Next Big Thing, and a Steam Deck with sufficient system specs would be perfectly positioned to take over for the PC, eliminating the need to run a cable. This in turn would make VR actually viable to a lot of people, myself included.

I'm glad you had a great time with your son

Quantum of Phallus posted:

holy poo poo Metroid Prime Trilogy with Primehack is amazing on the Deck. Is there any other custom emulators that really transform a game to be absolutely perfect on the machine?

this is what I'm talking about. I've never played the Prime trilogy before, might look into this

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s so good that I can’t believe Nintendo still haven’t bothered to do it on switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Can someone explain me why the wifi connection sometimes is really unstable? On desktop mode it was originally unusably slow, after googling and changing some DNS change it's fine now, but still there are a lot of hiccups or just interrupts in the connection sometimes, ranging from short disconnects to the deck thinking wifi is gone completely until I manually reconnect and it realizes it's fine. Don't have any of those issues on the wifi of my laptop, so I assume it's some settings issue. I don't speak computer at all though, so this stuff is like quantum mechanics to me.