Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is there a term for misquote or is it just that? Like how people say heavy is the head instead of uneasy in shakespeare

“Blood is thicker than water” drives me nuts when people use it to justify sticking by family, since the actual quote is “the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb”, like the opposite of how it gets used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ugly In The Morning posted:

“Blood is thicker than water” drives me nuts when people use it to justify sticking by family, since the actual quote is “the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb”, like the opposite of how it gets used.

Wow, that's amazing lmao. I did not know that!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

See also:

"Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back"

"Jack of all trades and master of none is better than a master of one"

"Birds of a feather flock together until the cat comes"

"Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

flavor.flv posted:

See also:

"Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back"

"Jack of all trades and master of none is better than a master of one"

"Birds of a feather flock together until the cat comes"

"Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ"

A lot of these are gonna be cases of someone coming up with a retort to the original idiom though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Just now, I was trying to remember a word that I knew I knew, a tip-of-the-tongue thing. It means a kind of job that you're given, but you don't have to work, it's just to funnel money, and I couldn't remember it.

I was googling (and duckduckgoing) all kinds of combinations:
- a job with no work just for the money
- word for a job with no work just for the money
- word for a job title but you dont work
- fake job title
- putting someone on the pay-roll
- mafia no-show definition
- appanage                                       <-[i hoped i could find the right word in a related result, but alas]

All the results were like "how best to fire your employees" :shrug:

Anyway I gave up and started writing this post to ask yall, and I had typed maybe 3-4 words & it just came to me: sinecure. So this post is about the journey instead. Also, It's a good word & I shall not forget it again.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Dec 3, 2021

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That's a fake version from tumblr

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I've been reading old Danish texts & have now come across "saaat" a coulpe times, which just looks so wrong. It's a contraction(?) of "saa at" (so that or so to), which is currently spelled "så at" (and the "at" part is often dropped).

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 14:24 on Apr 29, 2022

Internet Cliche
Oct 18, 2004
Ninja Robot Pirate Zombie
I learned a new expression from my aunt last time I saw her. In the spirit of the thread, I'll stick to the Central Appalachian voice here

quote:

She was tellin Maw about some fella whose mama had gotten ate up with cancer, and they had to put her in a home.

One of her boys was never any count, moved off to Florida years ago. The other boy, never took a lick at a snake his whole life: Then this happens, and his family needs him, and he up and runs off to Florida with his brother".

Translating to standard American English:

quote:

She was telling Grandma about some guy whose mom got cancer, and they put her in a nursing home (So far so good).

One of her sons was a loser and he moved to Florida. The other one, who never had any ambition at all, moved to Florida when his family needed him.

Lick in this sense meaning "to strike at" or "to beat". The failson is too lazy to hit a snake that's in front of him
You also see the noun "lick" in town names where there were salt or mineral outcrops -- the classic example of Big Bone Lick State Park, or Beaverlick, Kentucky.

I've been around that part of the world my entire life, and it seems like I'm always learning new expressions and words, just because someone's from the next holler over. Here's a dictionary of sorts from Univ. of SC. http://artsandsciences.sc.edu/appalachianenglish/dictionary.html

The dictionary itself is simple enough, but the real gems are the quotes and usage examples.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Anatopistic

Similar to anachronistic, but as to place rather time

Like if you watch a movie set in Rome , and they are eating potatoes , it is anatopistic, since potatoes would have existed at that time but not place

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Another norwegian idiom: "To have pure flour in your bag." This means you're innocent.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yep rent mel danish too

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Non english speakers

What do you call these

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I can't remember the name of a word I used to pedantly throw around.

It is when you turn a noun into a verb, or a verb to a noun like how "adulting" is a word, or I think it may be how "a failure" becomes "a fail"? (it may also be used to turn a verb into an adjective or other such things as well)

It was something like amarathea but that's not it. I've tried Googling (oh yeah, another example) word combinations but so far all my attempts have just been fails.

\/\/\/ Thanks! I tried a similar Google search but it kept returning things like "verbing" \/\/\/

credburn has a new favorite as of 20:28 on Jul 24, 2022

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

You’re looking for Anthimeria but verbing a noun is also called denominalization. (I just googled “what is verbing a noun called”)

Stoca Zola has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Jul 24, 2022

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-formation

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It seems I have been gravely misbackformed about the origins of certain words

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I just found out that auspicious doesn't mean flashy, but lucky (and likewise inauspicious doesn't mean meek, but unlucky).

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Carthag Tuek posted:

I just found out that auspicious doesn't mean flashy, but lucky (and likewise inauspicious doesn't mean meek, but unlucky).

Ostentatious means flashy, it's a pretty similar sounding word...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

credburn posted:

Ostentatious means flashy, it's a pretty similar sounding word...

Yeah it's not unreasonable that I've mixed them up at some point. Maybe some spectacular in there too.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/qikipedia/status/1567090231655903232

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Something I learned recently - there's a Japanese phrase 'hyōtan kara koma' which literally translates to 'a horse coming out from a gourd', but is used to mean when something unbelievable actually happens. I feel there should be an English phrase for something similar, but my brain isn't cooperating.

Oh yeah - the saying that the moon is made from green cheese? The cheese in question is 'green' as in it is immature - it's a fresh (and thus very white) cheese.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Samovar posted:

Something I learned recently - there's a Japanese phrase 'hyōtan kara koma' which literally translates to 'a horse coming out from a gourd', but is used to mean when something unbelievable actually happens. I feel there should be an English phrase for something similar, but my brain isn't cooperating.

Oh yeah - the saying that the moon is made from green cheese? The cheese in question is 'green' as in it is immature - it's a fresh (and thus very white) cheese.

Could you say "stranger things have happened" in english or "seeing is believing"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

camel through the needle's eye?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Carthag Tuek posted:

camel through the needle's eye?

YAHTZEE

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Samovar posted:

Maybe it doesn't convey quite the same meaning (I really don't know Japanese beyond a handful of words/phrases), but it sort of reminds me of "when pigs fly"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Samovar posted:

the saying that the moon is made from green cheese?

This is one of those, I think, antiquated things that I've never actually heard anyone say, but I've heard people talk about this saying my whole life.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Samovar posted:

Closest I can think of is "lightning striking twice".

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A black swan?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://twitter.com/dtmooreeditor/status/1569366666844192769

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I loving hate twitter threads.

quote:

So there's a particular quirk of English grammar that I've always found quite endearing: the exocentric verb-noun compound agent noun.

It appears in a definite, remarkably narrow period - not more than 150, 200 years - before dying out, leaving loads of legacy words in its wake.

To explain briefly! An agent noun is a noun derived from another word (usually a verb), meaning "someone who [verb]s." e.g.:

"to travel" => "traveller"
"to rule" => "ruler"
"to direct" => "director"

In Middle and Modern English, agent nouns derived from verbs are almost always constructed using the agentive suffix -er (from German), less commonly from -or (from French).

(Agent nouns derived from nouns usually take -eer or -ist, both from French, but I digress.)

The equivalent suffix in Old English is -a:

ridan (to ride) => ridda (rider)
giefan (to give) => giefa, gifa (giver)

It's superficially similar to -er (i.e. modern speakers tend to pronounce both as a shwa ⟨ə⟩), although they're from different roots.

With me so far?

So *compound* agent nouns are agent nouns that narrow the sense by specifying an object for the verb. In Middle & Modern English they're usually formed by putting the agent noun after the object, e.g.

"to fight fire" => "firefighter"
"to say 'nay'" => "naysayer"

And the same is absolutely true in Old English (OE *loves* compound words), as in these two examples from Beowulf:

"giefan bēag" (to give a ring) => "bēah-gifa" (ring-giver, i.e. a wealthy lord)
"webbian friþ" (to weave peace) => "friþwefer" (peaceweaver, i.e. a hostage bride)

But while these words were formed substantially the same way (aside from the shift from the OE -a to the ME -er) for more than a thousand years, there's this odd period where dozens of compound agent nouns flipped the order and lost the suffix.

These "exocentric" verb-noun compound agent nouns *start* with the verb, without the suffix, and end with the object. Some examples:

"to pick pockets" => "pickpocket"
"to spend thrift (i.e. savings)" => "spendthrift"
"to swash (i.e. strike) a buckler" => "swashbuckler"

And almost all these words were coined between 1550 and 1700 -- it's a very rare construction before and after that period.

A lot of these words have *remained* in the language, mostly to baffle and enrage modern speakers, but almost none have been *coined* in three centuries.

But what especially grabs me is how *seedy* these words generally are. Consider the above examples, along with turncoat (traitor), lickspittle (toady), skinflint (miser), turnkey (gaoler), scofflaw (criminal), lackwit (fool), cutthroat (murderer) or sellsword (mercenary).
It seems like, over maybe four or five generations, a whole-rear end grammatical word construction appeared, proliferated and died out... and it was used almost wholly for insults and street slang.

And precisely because the sort of people who coin insults and street slang tended not to be the sort of people who write books, we don't really know where that came from or why it was seen in such negative terms.

And I think about far more than I have any business doing. /fin

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yea they suck but im lazy

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

AFewBricksShy posted:

I loving hate twitter threads.

Same, and I can never seem to get more than a few tweets in before it tells me to sign up. I appreciate your service, that was a good read I would have missed!

Reading a sci-fi story this week taught me sybarite, which means someone given to luxury and pleasure. A hedonist.

And these very forums taught me that the shape you associate with nuclear plant cooling towers is called a hyperboloid .

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Twitter threads go against the spirit of Twitter and shouldn't be allowed.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Same, and I can never seem to get more than a few tweets in before it tells me to sign up. I appreciate your service, that was a good read I would have missed!

Reading a sci-fi story this week taught me sybarite, which means someone given to luxury and pleasure. A hedonist.

And these very forums taught me that the shape you associate with nuclear plant cooling towers is called a hyperboloid .

Use a nitter instance. It will do all the work for you and keep you off Twitter.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

My favourite word in Icelandic is svefngalsi, pronounced svep-galsee, and it refers to the feeling of giddiness you get when you're very tired. Literally something like "sleep fun".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

That's a great word. I can immediately see how Icelandic svefn is cognate to Danish søvn, I wonder if galsi is cognate to gal (mad, crazy). I suppose there's a sense of meaning like "wild" in both.

I can't think of a word for nighttime giddiness, but we do have søvndrukken "sleepdrunk" when you're slow/incoherent from just waking up. Also "sleep crust" is just called søvn, eg. "you still have sleep in your eyes".

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

for fucks sake posted:

My favourite word in Icelandic is svefngalsi, pronounced svep-galsee, and it refers to the feeling of giddiness you get when you're very tired. Literally something like "sleep fun".

If we're doing Icelandic words I'd have to go with glósóli (thanks Sigur Rós) which translates into taking childish delight in sunshine.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

This is interesting. "Cutpurse" and "Sellsword" are two more. I learned those from A Song of Ice and Fire.

Edit: it's possible GRRM made these up, but they still fit the pattern.

deoju has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Sep 17, 2022

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

deoju posted:

This is interesting. "Cutpurse" and "Sellsword" are two more. I learned those from A Song of Ice and Fire.

Edit: it's possible GRRM made these up, but they still fit the pattern.

He didn't but they are two additional examples!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I am now imagining Deadwood: Early Modern Edition, where everyone is always calling each other “suckcock”.