Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you think that’s bad you don’t want to know what the cloth was made of.

hell, nor the loom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Only Nazi SS uniforms could be legit loving haunted.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

SeanBeansShako posted:

Only Nazi SS uniforms could be legit loving haunted.

Except of course for the uniforms of 14th Waffen Grenadiers, the government of Canada assures me that accusing their uniforms of being haunted is a hate crime actually :hmmyes:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you think that’s nuts look up the patent battles between Mauser and the US govt before, during, and after WW1. poo poo went to the Supreme Court.

Hint: Uncle Sam didn’t win.

I wonder, in general wrt this case, who the hell thought it was a good idea to out-sue old German people.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tias posted:

I wonder, in general wrt this case, who the hell thought it was a good idea to out-sue old German people.

I always laugh when someone starts talking about how litigious American society is.

Also I dug up my short version of the Mauser lawsuits from earlier in this thread:

Cyrano4747 posted:

The tl;dr on it is that the m1903 rifle borrowed heavily from the m93 Mauser rifles that Spain had in Cuba, and which were captured in large numbers by the US during that war. The over-all design was pretty derivative of it, but what got the US in trouble specifically were some patents that Mauser had earlier filed in the US for the magazine system, the design of the stripper clips, the design of the stripper clip feed in the receiver, the safety, the extractor, and the extractor collar.* This is pretty normal, Mauser was always good about filing patents numerous places internationally, usually the US, Britain, France, and of course Germany. As I recall Mauser didn't actually sue, but the US government realized it was deep into infringement territory and pre-emptively contacted Mauser to negotiate as settlement. This was resolved in 1905 and the royalties were on both rifles and stripper clips, with the royalties capping at $200,000. This was paid out in a handful of installments that finished up within a couple of years.

A few years later there was a separate issue when the US developed the .30-06 cartridge. DWM (of which Mauser was a subsidiary by that time) had filed a patent in the US for the spitzer type bullet and believed that .30-06 was essentially a knock-off of 7mm and 8mm Mauser rounds. DWM approached in 1907 asking for a similar settlement but the Ordinance Department's lawyers thought their case much weaker than the earlier Mauser issue, so they negotiated for a few years. When those negotiations fell apart a lawsuit was finally filed in 1914 a few months before WW1 started. This kicked around the courts for a few years until the US got into the war, at which point the government simply seized the patents as enemy assets. Since the gov't now owned the patents the case was thrown out of court. A few years later, after the war finished, DWM filed suit again alleging this time that the seizure of their patents had been unconstitutional. This was actually a pretty strong case and the courts ruled in favor of DWM and awarded them $300,000 in damages. The government appealed, the case dragged on, until the appeal was eventually rejected in the late 20s. The US was ordered to pay, with interest, on the original damage award. After a decade's worth of interest it came out to a touch over $410,000.

edit: I'm not touching on the corporate history here beyond observing that Mauser was a DWM subsidiary. It gets complicated. DWM was founded by Isidore Loewe out of the component parts of his Ludwig Loewe & Co. (originally founded by him and his brother Ludwig), which had bought Mauser a few decades earlier along with a poo poo ton of ammo factories and some other stuff. Post-WW1 DWM ends up getting bought out by the Quandt Group, who I've written about in this thread so search for that. Spoiler: they're fucks.

* As an aside, these were the big advancements that made the various iterations of Mauser rifles so ground breaking, ultimately culminating in the m98. If you look at a rifle from the 1885-1892 generation or so of rifles (so the Carcano, the Mosin, the Gew 88, Mannlicher's various designs, etc) the big advances that you see Mauser making are the internal, staggered box magazine, the wing safety, feed via stripper clips, and the non-rotating (relative to the cartridge) extractor claw and the collar that enabled that. IIRC it roughlty goes: Mauser 1889/90/91: stripper clips, receiver feed cuts: Mauser 93 - internal box mag, non-rotating extractor and collar. The 95 and the 98 also see a lot of safety improvements such as the backup action lug and vent holes in both receiver and bolt, but that's not as important to function.

Don't get me wrong, a Carcano or Gew 88 still works in 1914 or even 1940, but there's a reason that Mauser derivatives were the gold standard for bolt action rifles right up until the beginning of WW2. There's an argument about the Mas36 to be made after that.

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

"It's like no cheese I've ever tasted."

Tias posted:

I mean, it worked for the British with cordite. In the 1880s Alfred Nobel (of prize fame) invents a new propellant called ballistite, which consists of a mixture of nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin. He sends samples to Britain for military trials. A few weeks later, some scientists in a British military lab come up with cordite, a mixture of nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin. Nobel sues, but loses, because the British used a slightly different formulation of nitrocellulose and a different solvent, so according to the British court, hadn't infringed his patent.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Randomcheese3 posted:

I mean, it worked for the British with cordite. In the 1880s Alfred Nobel (of prize fame) invents a new propellant called ballistite, which consists of a mixture of nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin. He sends samples to Britain for military trials. A few weeks later, some scientists in a British military lab come up with cordite, a mixture of nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin. Nobel sues, but loses, because the British used a slightly different formulation of nitrocellulose and a different solvent, so according to the British court, hadn't infringed his patent.

Nobel was a Swede, though. That makes all the difference.

Never get into a land war with Russia, never get into a legal battle with a German.

edit: jokes aside, I've got some vague memory at the back of my head of British patent courts being kinda prone to that stuff when it came to domestic copies of foreign things in the late 19th.

The important bit of the Mauser case is that the actual rifle design was recognized by the US government as infringing and they proactively reached out for a settlement.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Randomcheese3 posted:

This reminds me of a scene in one old comedy:

:confused: What are you doing?
:pseudo: I'm inventing gunpowder!
:confused: But hasn't gunpowder been invented already?
:pseudo: Yes, and I'm inventing more of it!

except he would then name it pungowder or sumthink

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nenonen posted:

This reminds me of a scene in one old comedy:

:confused: What are you doing?
:pseudo: I'm inventing gunpowder!
:confused: But hasn't gunpowder been invented already?
:pseudo: Yes, and I'm inventing more of it!

except he would then name it pungowder or sumthink

If you like this start reading on the history of smokeless powder development. Around 1870-1890 you have a ton of different people all across Europe taking a stab at making smokeless, with a lot of intermediary things that were basically less smoky black powder. Poudre B in France, of course, but there are a bunch of oddball trials in Germany and Switzerland. In Germany in particular it's Max von Duttenhofer's Rottweil Powder Manufactory that does a lot of the late work on black powder that leads into smokeless, starting first with trying to make a less smoky artillery powder and culminating in the "R.C.P" (the specific meaning of the abbreviation has been lost to time, possibilities are Rottweil Chemical Powder and Rottweil Cellulose Powder) small arms powder that was a kind of "quasi-smokeless" powder. A German officer at a trial for it noted that the amount of smoke was akin to a well burning cigar, so visible at the firing end but not all that notable from the viewpoint of someone being shot at, at least compared to black powder.

RCP only lasted a year or two before it was replaced with a true smokeless powder based on nitrated cotton. The big benefit wasn't even the smokeless nature, it was the ease in manufacturing. RCP had a super archaic manufacturing process that involved lots of washes and charring and produced both unpredictable yields and a lot of chemical waste, even by late 19th-century German standards. It killed all the fish in the Neckar river, if that's any indication, something Duttenhofer got around by buying out all the fishing rights in all the towns down-stream of his factory. Dutenhoffer was constantly having trouble fufilling the orders, supplying only about half of the contracted 300,000 kg in 1888. This is a problem as the Germans were afraid of imminent war with France and were desperately trying to build a stockpile of the new small caliber Patrone 88 cartridge. It was also insanely dangerous - again, by late 19th century German standards, so think the kind of safety standards that would make a modern Chinese industrialist blanch.

As a side-benefit of the new, actually smokeless powder you see much higher potential chamber pressures, which is another thing that is common throughout all of the early smokeless designs. The early ones were basically black powder designs re-worked for smokeless, and as such were comparatively low pressure by modern standards. The higher pressures made possible by the new powders both permitted much higher muzzle velocities and also required an entire new generation of firearms that could handle those kinds of pressures. Hence the extremely over-built nature of the m1893, m1895, and m1898 Mauser rifles compared to the Gew 1888.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

In 1967 an advertising agency contacted the Suomenlinna museum in Helsinki because they wanted to build a display at a client bank's window with cannon balls. Well the museum has all kinds of Crimean war era stuff so they said sure, we have lots of balls in the attic, just go and take some.

Then they noticed that these 100+ years old balls weren't just props. There was gunpowder still in them and it was dry. Oops. So they contacted the army and a feldwebel showed up to disarm them with the assistance of the window dressers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nenonen posted:

a feldwebel showed up to disarm them with the assistance of the window dressers.

And the screwdrivers. :colbert:

This is flathead bomb disposal screwdriver erasure and I will not have it.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Never use a flat bladed screwdriver as a prying tool but definitely use it as a bomb disposal tool

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also bad to use as a reaction mediator in a criticality experiment

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It's black powder so they could be rendered inert just by pouring water on them right?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

It's black powder so they could be rendered inert just by pouring water on them right?

You can't pour water on a museum piece, it would rust!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

zoux posted:

Also bad to use as a reaction mediator in a criticality experiment

Fine to use for shipboard damage control though.

Dammit can't find the picture.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

Not permanently, if that's what you're asking. It will get hosed up, but once dry it will still be combustible and likely even explosive.

I'd also not want to bet my life on properly identifying the explosive in there.

Don't get me wrong, if you handed me a screwdriver and a cannon ball and said "have at it" I'd probably want to soak everything down as a precaution, but not something I'd want to do recreationally.

Speaking of people who do that poo poo recreationally, a guy in Virginia was killed a few years back "restoring" (aka taking an angle grinder to polish the rust off) a battlefield-dug Civil War cannonball. The powder was still good enough to kill him 150 years after it was fired.

Don't gently caress with UXO, kids.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not permanently, if that's what you're asking. It will get hosed up, but once dry it will still be combustible and likely even explosive.

I'd also not want to bet my life on properly identifying the explosive in there.

Don't get me wrong, if you handed me a screwdriver and a cannon ball and said "have at it" I'd probably want to soak everything down as a precaution, but not something I'd want to do recreationally.

Speaking of people who do that poo poo recreationally, a guy in Virginia was killed a few years back "restoring" (aka taking an angle grinder to polish the rust off) a battlefield-dug Civil War cannonball. The powder was still good enough to kill him 150 years after it was fired.

Don't gently caress with UXO, kids.

:ughh:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

More like angel grinder :angel:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

VostokProgram posted:

That just makes corned gunpowder.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Isn't "Charles" kind of a cursed name for a British monarch? Are there any monarchies with such infamous members that a certain regnal name becomes retired

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

zoux posted:

Isn't "Charles" kind of a cursed name for a British monarch? Are there any monarchies with such infamous members that a certain regnal name becomes retired

Didn't stop Napoleon III from rising to power (but then to him it was more of a benefit at that point). I would think that enough time has passed from Charles II that it won't matter here, they're not even related and he has just as much power in the United Kingdom as Mickey Mouse has in the Magic Kingdom.

I'm sure that if e.g. monarchy was restored to Russia then the first guy wouldn't take the regent name of Ivan, though.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Anyone have a good, top-level rundown of the Russian Civil War just chilling somewhere?

Nothing too detailed or even necessarily that serious, just something better than like god drat Wikipedia to try and get the broad strokes of the conflict into my head in one place.

I just realized that I have a decent grounding in the October Revolution and my knowledge picks up again some time in the 30's, but in the middle my summary would be "some fighting happened ; I watched A Young Doctor's Notebook once drunk on a plane". Which probably isn't a very intelligent or well-rounded understanding of a major point in world history.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ivan would be a power move. If you told me Putin crowned himself Ivan VII* tomorrow I don't think I'd even blink.

Now Nicholas III, that would be a questionable call.

*I had to look this one up. Yes I'm surprised there were six of them too. Also that Ivan wasn't even #1

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Anyone have a good, top-level rundown of the Russian Civil War just chilling somewhere?

Nothing too detailed or even necessarily that serious, just something better than like god drat Wikipedia to try and get the broad strokes of the conflict into my head in one place.

I just realized that I have a decent grounding in the October Revolution and my knowledge picks up again some time in the 30's, but in the middle my summary would be "some fighting happened ; I watched A Young Doctor's Notebook once drunk on a plane". Which probably isn't a very intelligent or well-rounded understanding of a major point in world history.

Take this with a grain of salt because I haven't personally read it, but years ago I a friend who does Russian poo poo professionally recommended The 'Russian' Civil Wars: 1916 - 1926 when I asked a similar question. The name sticks in my head because of the inspired use of scare quotes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

zoux posted:

I think there's a pope name that is supposed to herald the apocalypse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think there's a pope name that is supposed to herald the apocalypse.

Petrus Romanus and his reign will see the destruction of Rome, which is a lot less important now than it was when the prophecy was first published in the late 16th c.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Nenonen posted:

Didn't stop Napoleon III from rising to power (but then to him it was more of a benefit at that point). I would think that enough time has passed from Charles II that it won't matter here, they're not even related and he has just as much power in the United Kingdom as Mickey Mouse has in the Magic Kingdom.

I'm sure that if e.g. monarchy was restored to Russia then the first guy wouldn't take the regent name of Ivan, though.

If Mickey Mouse was the official source of all legitimacy in government and also lobbied really hard behind the scenes to stop gay marriage

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

Likewise, if German monarchy ever comes back, the first König von Deutschland will probably not call himself Wilhelm II, not even if he is another Hohenzoller, :lol:

Though it's equally likely that the next German king would just be a Welfe, as those are still around and less cursed by history, thanks to Prussia throwing them out of Hannover and then demolishing their kingdom before it could go bad. Personally, I'd rank the chance of King Ernst August of Germany at the same likelihood as a sudden alien invasion, but it could happen.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

If you enjoy wargames then I could point you toward either AGEOD's Revolution Under Siege or for a lighter option, Strategic Command WW1 (the 'classic' version from 2010, not the 2019 new version), they both give a pretty good overview of the whole thing in an interactive form, albeit with things not going exactly according to history depending on how the war goes. But there are lots of historical events in both (hundreds in the RUS long campaign) and you get more contextualized understanding of the events.

Certainly not a replacement for literature, but it helps putting everything in its place because Russian empire is a huge area and few westerners know the geography and ethnography that well to not get confused without holding a map and an encyclopedia while reading. Plus Revolution Under Siege also has scenarios of Finnish Civil War and Russo-Polish war.

The caveat is that it takes a lot of time to fight through the RUS long campaign... especially as you stop to look up more information on some historical event or the biography of some commander.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

zoux posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Formosus

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

For "Russian" Civil War coverage, I like the coverage of the Great War channel on YouTube, they got to the armistice and just kept going into the absolute chaos that was 1919-1922.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBmm4D907Xw

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ivan would be a power move. If you told me Putin crowned himself Ivan VII* tomorrow I don't think I'd even blink.

Now Nicholas III, that would be a questionable call.

*I had to look this one up. Yes I'm surprised there were six of them too. Also that Ivan wasn't even #1

I conflated the two significant Ivans for a very long time. I'm actually also surprised that there were six.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Xiahou Dun posted:

I will confess that I am not really answering your question so much as using it as a springboard, but one of the best histories I've read recently is a Marxist history of the economic changes in the USSR from 1917 to 1921. It's available for free from marxists.org and is a really incredible document https://www.marxists.org/archive/brinton/1970/workers-control/01.htm#h1

zoux posted:

Interestingly: the British monarchy has retired "Albert." Edward VII had the first name of "Albert" but was crowned Edward because he didn't want to intrude on his father Albert's turf.

Which I guess isn't really infamous but it is still kind of funny that they didn't retire Charles.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zoux posted:

Petrus Romanus and his reign will see the destruction of Rome, which is a lot less important now than it was when the prophecy was first published in the late 16th c.

imagine if it's something like a comic where this relates to Romulus Augustulus but that's probably something the writers of the time didn't consider as a thing

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I have heard it said that Victoria would have renamed the entire empire Alberta if they would have let her.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

If Mickey Mouse was the official source of all legitimacy in government and also lobbied really hard behind the scenes to stop gay marriage

Yeah, imagine what would happen if a rich reactionary dingbat gained massive unspoken powers, tried to become a dictator and caused a constitutional crisis. Could never happen in a republic!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gen. Ripper posted:

Yeah, imagine what would happen if a rich reactionary dingbat gained massive unspoken powers, tried to become a dictator and caused a constitutional crisis. Could never happen in a republic!

Sure thing Cicero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Gen. Ripper posted:

Whatever,Plato.

That Columbus got literally all the cred for discovering the America's snatched by Amerigo Vespucci is never not funny to me.