Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I hope Soul Hackers 2 never comes to Switch out of spite. Also SH2 belongs to either Silent Hill 2 or Shadow Hearts 2, Soul Hacker needs it's own abbr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
SoHa 2

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
It must be pretty hard to get the highest levels of Stackage for Sabbaths. You'd need, a group of enemies with varied weaknesses so that everyone can use their "preferred elements", plus the Stack increasing Commander Skill.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Luckily, most bosses come with big groups of adds just for that reason. Although eventually you start being limited by your demon stock too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Junpei posted:

It must be pretty hard to get the highest levels of Stackage for Sabbaths. You'd need, a group of enemies with varied weaknesses so that everyone can use their "preferred elements", plus the Stack increasing Commander Skill.

Depends what you consider high, it's pretty reasonable getting double digits once you start getting add stack on heal, crits, bonus attacks, plus everyone has both an elemental bonus and a physical/gun bonus.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

This is incredibly dumb just FYI, especially if the 30 minute gameplay video is from the start of a game. You almost never have any actual idea of what a game's mechanics develop into 30 minutes into a game, let alone in an RPG. Almost every game out there keeps introducing new concepts and new mechanics for long chunks of time and there are games where entire major mechanics don't come into play until relatively late.

Even if the core mechanics are there you have no idea how they develop or change or evolve or what twists are thrown into the game. This is both positive and negative. You can have a combat system that is fun until they roadblock your fun with a crappy mechanic or you can have one that starts out slow until you get the Awesome poo poo that really makes it shine.

Like poo poo 30 minutes into SMT4 and you probably think it is an Etrian Odyssey clone.

wrong its incredibly easy to work out if a game is good or bad by looking at it

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Let me dig out some screenshots of Rule the Waves then :p

Anyway, back to Soul Hacking, I am always low on cash :(

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

ImpAtom posted:

This is incredibly dumb just FYI, especially if the 30 minute gameplay video is from the start of a game. You almost never have any actual idea of what a game's mechanics develop into 30 minutes into a game, let alone in an RPG. Almost every game out there keeps introducing new concepts and new mechanics for long chunks of time and there are games where entire major mechanics don't come into play until relatively late.

Even if the core mechanics are there you have no idea how they develop or change or evolve or what twists are thrown into the game. This is both positive and negative. You can have a combat system that is fun until they roadblock your fun with a crappy mechanic or you can have one that starts out slow until you get the Awesome poo poo that really makes it shine.

Like poo poo 30 minutes into SMT4 and you probably think it is an Etrian Odyssey clone.

Nah, you're purposely overcomplicating a very simple concept. I'll grant you that your example is a good one tbf because SMT4 does have that fun twist but still naraku does show off a ton of what the game pace/cadence is.

I could tell I was going to love that game just from previews easily. Contrast that to any RPG with lame battle animations or dumb music or really boring generic dungeons, and there's nothing that could really save it. I don't care what the story introduces or what mechanics they introduce if the basic experience is ugly or unappealing to me, sh2 aside.

There are so many RPGs with boring battles and bad dungeons. Soooo many. Being able to parse this from videos is pretty necessary but also imo v easy for figuring out what is or isn't worth playing, especially because of how long these games are! And for what it's worth, I watched more than one 30 minute video, I actually saw a ton of coverage and gameplay streams hoping to see something that would catch my interest!

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 8, 2022

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I finally got around to starting Soul Hackers 2 despite getting it on release day and while I've only played the first hour or so, I quite like it. Obviously I've only had about 5 battles so far but the system feels concise and punchy. I also just love the aesthetic and character design.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes

Edit: And shout out to the people who implemented the camera settings in the config menu, you're the real MVPs.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 8, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Whoever implemented thedefault camera controls was dangerously deranged.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

RillAkBea posted:

I finally got around to starting Soul Hackers 2 despite getting it on release day and while I've only played the first hour or so, I quite like it. Obviously I've only had about 5 battles so far but the system feels concise and punchy. I also just love the aesthetic and character design.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes

Edit: And shout out to the people who implemented the camera settings in the config menu, you're the real MVPs.

Change the loading screen tips from the default. Apparently it affects loading speed or something.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Is everyone excited for P5:R later this month? I'm on the fence for PC since mods vs Switch version but money v:v:v

I actually watched all the new Akechi parts on YT, but something new is always good and fun.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SpiderLink posted:

Change the loading screen tips from the default. Apparently it affects loading speed or something.

Basically the default setting ignores the time it takes to actually load and just shows you a "loading screen tip" for a predetermined amount of time every time you change zones and it is hell.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Someone seriously thought "modern games load too fast, I miss how you used to get to read tips on the loading screens" and then decided to add FAKE LOADING SCREENS just so people could read the dozen or so repeating tips, forever. And made that the default setting. Honestly we should be going to war over this outrage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Nah, you're purposely overcomplicating a very simple concept. I'll grant you that your example is a good one tbf because SMT4 does have that fun twist but still naraku does show off a ton of what the game pace/cadence is.

I could tell I was going to love that game just from previews easily. Contrast that to any RPG with lame battle animations or dumb music or really boring generic dungeons, and there's nothing that could really save it. I don't care what the story introduces or what mechanics they introduce if the basic experience is ugly or unappealing to me, sh2 aside.

There are so many RPGs with boring battles and bad dungeons. Soooo many. Being able to parse this from videos is pretty necessary but also imo v easy for figuring out what is or isn't worth playing, especially because of how long these games are! And for what it's worth, I watched more than one 30 minute video, I actually saw a ton of coverage and gameplay streams hoping to see something that would catch my interest!

You'll miss out on a lot of fun games but hey, that is your choice. Just stop telling people who play the games they are wrong because you watched a video.

Whenever people say I'll just judge a game by a video' I just remember the months people insisted DOOM was going to suck or that Cyberpunk was going to be the best game ever.

(Hell I personally thought Arkham Asylum was going to suck ads even after playing the demo and was pleasantly surprised when I actually *played* it}

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cyberpunk is godo though, and doom always looked like it was going to be good. your theory is destroyed

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Soul Hackers 2 is cyberpunk.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cyberpunk was ok. They def bit off way more than they could chew so the game ended up being hella linear which was a shame but I didn't hate the like 40 hours I put into it. Wish it was better tho...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

In the end of the 2nd subway tunnels The fight with Zenon ending with a smash cut to them back at the safehouse is possibly the weirdest transition in an SMT. Logically there's zero reason for Iron Mask to have let them escape, he could've stopped them. And you don't even get a cutscene explaining what happened. Baffling poo poo

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I hope Soul Hackers 2 never comes to Switch out of spite. Also SH2 belongs to either Silent Hill 2 or Shadow Hearts 2, Soul Hacker needs it's own abbr.

we can always call it by it's full name;

Digital Devil Story: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers 2.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Cyberpunk was ok. They def bit off way more than they could chew so the game ended up being hella linear which was a shame but I didn't hate the like 40 hours I put into it. Wish it was better tho...

i liked it as a very high budget but somehow jankier deus ex. not a goty ro anything but p fun

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Alder posted:

Is everyone excited for P5:R later this month? I'm on the fence for PC since mods vs Switch version but money v:v:v

I actually watched all the new Akechi parts on YT, but something new is always good and fun.

Same.
I'm in the middle of a move and haven't unpacked my PC yet so my choices are my laptop or my switch.
I found SMT5 disappointing so I'm trying to temper onp5R and if it does Pokemon comes out the next month so...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm sure I'd be nicer to P5 all these years later now the hype has died down but I still don't have much interest in replaying it any time soon. Maybe when it's on sale someday.

Primarily I just want to make sure Atlus keeps cranking out PC ports.

Granted, I would hope my new PC can handle Citra much better than this one. Still, I don't mind supporting Atlus if they put their games on things I can actually play.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 9, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh I never played it. I didn't own a PlayStation

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's good

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
SMTV is better

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

hatty posted:

SMTV is better

Young man: SmtV wasn't very good

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I like it and haven't been able to play it since 2017ish (played the original on a former housemate's PS4), but maybe don't really want to devote another 100+ hours to replaying it.
Yeah would sooner replay SMT5 since it's much less front-loaded with cutscenes, better paced and you can jump into it fairly quickly.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

smt vs persona, which wins

my 2c on the gameplay stuff is that its probably ok to see a few vids of a game and not like Vibe with it even if its early stuff but its Fail af to constantly harp on about how bad it is when u never even played it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SMTV for Gameplay and P5R for Atmosphere and general chilling out. Both have absolute GOAT level ost's though.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

its real hosed up megami tensei 2 doesn't tell u what items do or weapon/armor stats are

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Did it come with the manual, it very well might in there

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Gaius Marius posted:

Did it come with the manual, it very well might in there

unfortunately this is a translated rom so no manual, and also i cannot read japanese (tho the art is p cool + it seems like it only lists a bit of weapons/armor https://imgur.com/a/jJAmI + this ones a written copy; some of those armor/weapon descrips are p silly at least) 😔

apparently the tl did come with a tled manual but it didn't come with the dl anyhow, so i suppose i'll just use the site with maps i found and try and muddle through google tl for stats

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

good news everybody, i found the translated manual (and box!) that came with the tl patch! theres no statistical numbers given for the few listed equips but they do get little descriptions like "Leggy Armor: It makes a girl even more attractive." and "Kapa Cape: Its effectiveness is questionable." :v:

https://yojimbo.eludevisibility.org...02%20Manual.pdf (heres the archive link too)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Same.
I'm in the middle of a move and haven't unpacked my PC yet so my choices are my laptop or my switch.
I found SMT5 disappointing so I'm trying to temper onp5R and if it does Pokemon comes out the next month so...

Yeah, I didn't really finish SMT5 and I felt the same :sigh:

I haven't played P5 since the launch date so I'm excited to re-live all the exp all over again as I forgot a lot in the past years. I haven't really been interested in new games other than FFXIV so I'm just hoping for the best.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
SMTV was pretty fuckin neat but it pains me to say this... I like persona 5 better.

Also, I wish SMTV ran better, they could have absolutely dialed down a lot of the effects and still kept the same aesthetic for a consistent frame rate so idk whats up

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

KingSlime posted:

SMTV was pretty fuckin neat but it pains me to say this... I like persona 5 better.

Also, I wish SMTV ran better, they could have absolutely dialed down a lot of the effects and still kept the same aesthetic for a consistent frame rate so idk whats up

I wonder if the hair design decision for the protagonist, which was extra-arbitrary because they both had pretty short hair to start with so it wasn't really a fusion of their appearances or anything, might have contributed to that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Alder posted:

Is it October already somehow

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Soul Hackers 2 thing.
What the hell is wrong with Raven's sound/audio mixing in English? There isn't a scene or delivery in this game where his microphone isn't either blowing out or just completely mixed wrong. It's like Discord voice call levels of bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Young man: SmtV wasn't very good

it was god like