Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Thanlis posted:

Worlds Collide, maybe? I guess the exposure to lucha counts as “on the show.”

worth thinking about. thank you my Thanlis. i mean my bubby. Thanlis is your name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Trying posted:

Wasn't Austin's theme a Disturbed rip-off to begin with? And was the Disturbed theme that song or did they rip-off the rip-off?

Disturbed’s debut album was in 2000.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

0konner posted:

Disturbed’s debut album was in 2000.

Hmm. I see. Thankyou.

I remember Austin saying in some documentary that they ripped-off the glass breaking from Disturbed but clearly my mind has failed me.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Austin’s theme was a hard rock version of Razor Ramon’s theme, which itself was just a rip off of the Eagles “Those Shoes”.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bonk posted:

I can hear this post.

WWE came close to this, where they used a Lostprophets song for a Jeff Hardy promo (and I think it was almost his new entrance theme?), but the singer turned out to be one of the most depraved pedos I've ever read about and tried to buy a 1 year old kid or something.

Also what happened with Kane's unused Type O Negative theme really sucked. They put a ton of work into it and they thought the popularity would to relaunch them back into the public eye, but then WWE was like "lol no, Finger Eleven" at the last second, and Peter Steele was super depressed about it for years.

Good thing they dropped Lost Prophets.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I want to hear the Type O negative Kane theme. The finger eleven one was a kickass theme though.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Has Tanahashi ever won by having his High Fly Flow be countered by his opponent putting their knees up, and then submitting them with the Texas Cloverleaf? It's a specific finish but I thought about how getting one's knees up would make you vulnerable to the Cloverleaf (if Tana recovers faster that is).

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Critical posted:

still have no idea what the lyrics to the disturbed theme were other than STEP UP

very disturbed's greatest hit like

Obviously it's "Step up dah-dibadih-bayooo"

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

edogawa rando posted:

Obviously it's "Step up dah-dibadih-bayooo"

???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9K8-3PHZOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

On the topic of Entrance Music, are there any bands/groups/singers that you probably wouldn't relate to wrestling, but you think would have written a great theme song for a wrestler?

I always think of Queen. I feel like they would have come up with something amazing.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What was the gimmick Kenzo Suzuki was supposed to be given before debuting as himself? Hirohito? An incredibly racist Japanese WWII gimmick?

And what was Suzuki's career like before coming to WWE? I read he got blamed for a wrestler's death.

And is it true that Vince had the option to sign Tanahashi instead of Suzuki but chose Suzuki because he was taller? Was Tanahashi ever seriously considering going to WWE in 2004?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Custard Undies posted:

On the topic of Entrance Music, are there any bands/groups/singers that you probably wouldn't relate to wrestling, but you think would have written a great theme song for a wrestler?

I always think of Queen. I feel like they would have come up with something amazing.

Princes of the Universe, We Will Rock You, Another One Bites The Dust and Hammer To Fall all already basically are

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What was the gimmick Kenzo Suzuki was supposed to be given before debuting as himself? Hirohito? An incredibly racist Japanese WWII gimmick?

And what was Suzuki's career like before coming to WWE? I read he got blamed for a wrestler's death.

And is it true that Vince had the option to sign Tanahashi instead of Suzuki but chose Suzuki because he was taller? Was Tanahashi ever seriously considering going to WWE in 2004?

Suzuki was a rugby player before going to the New Japan Dojo, he actually won the Young Lions Cup in 2000, beating Tanahashi & Shibata before avenging a loss to the future Togi Makabe in the final. So he was highly ish thought of at the time

And yes, he was the trainer of the World Japan Dojo in 2003 when Giant Ochiai suffered a brain bleed, and his family and friends hold Suzuki responsible through negligence. Though I have questions as to why a guy 4 years into the business was in charge of a dojo in the first place.

As for his WWE gimmick, he was supposed to be Hirohito, the grandson of the Emperor. Who, of course, would be aggrieved at the dishonour to his family and nation from losing WW2. Absolutely beyond moronic that evil Japanese was still a popular gimmick that late on

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

Princes of the Universe, We Will Rock You, Another One Bites The Dust and Hammer To Fall all already basically are

Junkyard Dog used Another One Bites The Dust for ages until his WWF classic "Grab Them Cakes."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Junkyard Dog used Another One Bites The Dust for ages until his WWF classic "Grab Them Cakes."

It's escaping me exactly who it was at the moment, but someone in the NWA territory days absolutely used "We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions" as their entrance music.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Not who you're thinking of but Chris Hero and Caludio Castagnoli used it before they got their rad Cody B Ware song

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

Not who you're thinking of but Chris Hero and Caludio Castagnoli used it before they got their rad Cody B Ware song

Yeah, it's gonna bug me now that I can't remember who that was. :argh:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Who came out to Super Bon Bon by Soul Coughing?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Basically no way this is what you are looking for, but you unlocked a special memory by asking that, as I am nearly positive this indy team the Vanilla Shakes came out to that at a Mid-State Pro* show. I had looked at the roster before the show and made a sign for them, as I decided anyone called the Vanilla Shakes must be my jam. The song started up, they came out, I went nuts with my sign, and I heard later from a friend who was backstage that they were very confused to see a sign for them considering that was the first night they had used that name

*I believe this Central Illinois fed had two shows total

oh my god searching for any online evidence of this federation has brought me a wonderful blessing from this page

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

Lita?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Danny Doring

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

The Science of Suck posted:

please don’t tell taz i say ‘oh hi mark’ in order to disguise my wrestling lingo use under a more respectable wiseau façade

I will give him the link to this thread, I swear to God

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

The_Rob posted:

I want to hear the Type O negative Kane theme. The finger eleven one was a kickass theme though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_HPkObv3Vs

The good poo poo starts at 0:25

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

fangin' & bangin'

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019

Dr. Quarex posted:

Basically no way this is what you are looking for, but you unlocked a special memory by asking that, as I am nearly positive this indy team the Vanilla Shakes came out to that at a Mid-State Pro* show. I had looked at the roster before the show and made a sign for them, as I decided anyone called the Vanilla Shakes must be my jam. The song started up, they came out, I went nuts with my sign, and I heard later from a friend who was backstage that they were very confused to see a sign for them considering that was the first night they had used that name

*I believe this Central Illinois fed had two shows total

oh my god searching for any online evidence of this federation has brought me a wonderful blessing from this page

this is what I imagine 1990s-era southpaw regional wrestling being

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

Danny Doring

That’s the one, thanks.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Custard Undies posted:

Pop Will Eat Itself. I mean, Clint Mansell was their singer.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
drat, that's a good call. I could totally see a British anarchist character entering to Ich Bin Ein Auslander.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

def con one the wrestlemania theme. gimme big mac gimme fries to go

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

RandolphCarter posted:

Judohobo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Custard Undies posted:

Dalton Castle uses a "I Want It All" knock-off

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

It seems I underestimated the amount of people using Queen, which I guess I really shouldn't have.

I always figured Princes of the Universe would have made a great entrance song for a stable of cocky heels.

I could totally see someone using we will rock you as entrance and we are the champions as his winning theme. Or another one bites the dust as a winning song.

More wrestlers need different entrance/winning themes!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Davros1 posted:

Dalton Castle uses a "I Want It All" knock-off
Radio Ga Ga, unless he uses a second Queen knockoff I'm not aware of.

"Ironman" Tommy Cairo used We Will Rock You as his entrance theme in the early days of ECW. The problem there was that Tommy Cairo sucked and the song was far too cool for him.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's escaping me exactly who it was at the moment, but someone in the NWA territory days absolutely used "We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions" as their entrance music.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yeah, it's gonna bug me now that I can't remember who that was. :argh:

Finally remembered who it was: Rick Rude and Manny Fernandez used "We Will Rock You" as their entrance music during their time as a tag team in JCP during the late 1980s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IH0Q5_fQUQ

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Rick Rude also used Sade’s “Smooth Operator” early in his career.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Austin’s theme was a hard rock version of Razor Ramon’s theme, which itself was just a rip off of the Eagles “Those Shoes”.

I always thought Austin's theme was influenced by Korn's Blind but that trajectory is spot on.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Custard Undies posted:

I'd have to think if Alex Wright debuted nowadays, he'd come out to something by Rammstein. Auslander?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Austin claims that he requested a song that sounds like "Bulls on Parade" by Rage Against the Machine which would have been charting in the summer of 1996 when the song was created. That doesn't change the fact that Jim Johnston just kind of sped up/remixed Razor's theme to create the RATM pastiche, but Bulls on Parade was the template.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Breetai posted:

Judohobo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Custard Undies posted:

It seems I underestimated the amount of people using Queen, which I guess I really shouldn't have.

I always figured Princes of the Universe would have made a great entrance song for a stable of cocky heels.

I could totally see someone using we will rock you as entrance and we are the champions as his winning theme. Or another one bites the dust as a winning song.

More wrestlers need different entrance/winning themes!

Danhausen and Effy use Princes of the Universe when they team