Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Kestral posted:

This is something I'm a bit confused by as I near the end of the first book. I got the impression that Babbington and (most of?) the midshipmen were kids or young teens, but Babbington is also apparently loving everything that moves :psyduck: How old are these people? And is there some cultural context I'm missing here?

I think a society that is okay with child soldiers probably doesn't stress too much about them hiring prostitutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Babbington is out there trying to score like Beavis and Butthead, except more militaristic and also more successful.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Kestral posted:

This is something I'm a bit confused by as I near the end of the first book. I got the impression that Babbington and (most of?) the midshipmen were kids or young teens, but Babbington is also apparently loving everything that moves :psyduck: How old are these people? And is there some cultural context I'm missing here?

I always assumed that during those escapades Babbingtom was anywhere from 13 to 17. Y'know, standard embarrassing sexual encounters age.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I love the Sethians explaining that they 100% have to have SETH painted on the side of the ship which everyone else is mad about and Jack's diplomatic solution is to leave it there but drape a sheet over it.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

Pwnstar posted:

I love the Sethians explaining that they 100% have to have SETH painted on the side of the ship which everyone else is mad about and Jack's diplomatic solution is to leave it there but drape a sheet over it.

You can't say fairer than that, surely!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/punishedpope/status/1560019577794310144?s=20&t=uCMPS6DzTUKsvRat3LUYJA

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I recently started reading this series. Or rather, listening to the audiobooks. I've listened to a lot but I think this is easily the best narration I've ever heard, it really brings things alive.

I'm just getting into Post Captain now, and I have two notes so far -

Hearing a delightful British man read about a great big horse fart had me laughing for 10 minutes. And then the line of "I thought it was the horse".

And it seems like poor Maturin is getting friendzoned.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 8, 2022

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I recently started reading this series. Or rather, listening to the audiobooks. I've listened to a lot but I think this is easily the best narration I've ever heard, it really brings things alive.

I'm just getting into Post Captain now, and I have two notes so far -

Hearing a delightful British man read about a great big horse fart had me laughing for 10 minutes. And then the line of "I thought it was the horse".

And it seems like poor Maturin is getting friendzoned.

Yeah, Patrick Tull is amazing.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ChubbyChecker posted:

Yeah, Patrick Tull is amazing.
He really is. He brings so much humor and wit to Maturin that I didn't pick up on when I read the books the first time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

yeah

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

He really is. He brings so much humor and wit to Maturin that I didn't pick up on when I read the books the first time.

his singing and french speaking are especially good and cool and really rounded out sections i didn't have a good internal reading of prior to hearing him.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

It really blows my mind how the Austen-ish humor in these books is just dead on. The poor guy who tries to rob Aubrey in Post Captain describing how bad he is at robbing people just killed me.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

It really blows my mind how the Austen-ish humor in these books is just dead on. The poor guy who tries to rob Aubrey in Post Captain describing how bad he is at robbing people just killed me.

lol yeah, and the crewman they got to furnish his cabin when they were giving sophie passage

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Stringent posted:

lol yeah, and the crewman they got to furnish his cabin when they were giving sophie passage

Also the sequel to that bit - Stephen begging Sophie to take Jack out of the ship and keep him there, before the crew mutiny from being made to re-decorate his quarters repeatedly.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Been cleaning out my grandmother's house after she moved to a smaller place and found these:

Very cool old engravings of ships from different countries and relevant to this thread. There are 6 in total and she's taking the other 4 with her, but maybe they'll come to me some day. My Italian isn't very good and I can't find a date, but I think they're likely 18th century. I can't remember if the other four are all frigates too. My grandfather sailed all his life and was in the navy in WW2 and then an engineer that worked in shipbuilding, his father and grandfather were both ship's captains in the late 19th/early 20th C. My dad says he has my great-grandfather's sextant somewhere-it would be really cool to figure out how to use it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Been cleaning out my grandmother's house after she moved to a smaller place and found these:

Very cool old engravings of ships from different countries and relevant to this thread. There are 6 in total and she's taking the other 4 with her, but maybe they'll come to me some day. My Italian isn't very good and I can't find a date, but I think they're likely 18th century. I can't remember if the other four are all frigates too. My grandfather sailed all his life and was in the navy in WW2 and then an engineer that worked in shipbuilding, his father and grandfather were both ship's captains in the late 19th/early 20th C. My dad says he has my great-grandfather's sextant somewhere-it would be really cool to figure out how to use it.

Someone has one up on eBay, with the following description. Some nice pieces you have there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3532021051...ABk9SR9TCx-vnYA

"Beautiful and rare etching by FERDINANDO FAMBRINI, engraver born in 1764 active in Lucca, famous for having illustrated the first Italian edition of the Encyclopédie by Denis Diderot and Jean Baptiste le Rond d'Alembert, edited by Ottaviano Diodati for the Stamperia Lucchese between 1758 and '76."

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Someone has one up on eBay, with the following description. Some nice pieces you have there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3532021051...ABk9SR9TCx-vnYA

"Beautiful and rare etching by FERDINANDO FAMBRINI, engraver born in 1764 active in Lucca, famous for having illustrated the first Italian edition of the Encyclopédie by Denis Diderot and Jean Baptiste le Rond d'Alembert, edited by Ottaviano Diodati for the Stamperia Lucchese between 1758 and '76."

Thanks for finding that. I could make out the FERDINANDO FAMBRINI but googling that didn't didn't turn up much when I looked the other day.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

:nice:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I'm almost done with Post Captain, so maybe it's addressed later, but what's up with the duel between Jack and Stephen? It got pushed off because of the attack on the French port and also Jack saw Diana with that other guy. But it seems like they're just cool now that they are on the Lively, and I wouldn't think their sense of honor would just let that whole challenge to.

Also, is it ever really explained how Jack got into so much debt?

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Land bad, sea good. The battle makes them remember: gents o'er bints.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Regarding the duel (spoilered because the resolution was one of my favorite things in the series): I figure neither of them actually wanted to duel, so they took the convenient excuse to postpone it, then just never brought it up again. Which seems out of place in a book because authors normally only set up conflict for the purpose of resolving it dramatically, but it's pretty genuine to real life where you'll find out something or something'll happen, but then there's an unspoken "you know what, let's just pretend that never happened."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AngusPodgorny posted:

Regarding the duel (spoilered because the resolution was one of my favorite things in the series): I figure neither of them actually wanted to duel, so they took the convenient excuse to postpone it, then just never brought it up again. Which seems out of place in a book because authors normally only set up conflict for the purpose of resolving it dramatically, but it's pretty genuine to real life where you'll find out something or something'll happen, but then there's an unspoken "you know what, let's just pretend that never happened."

There is a blink and you'll miss it elliptical resolution, I forget where but somewhere in the same book, where they both apologize without apologizing explicitly. (You're essentially correct)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’ve always taken Stephen’s line of ‘Come below, brother’ after the battle as the moment where they both, or certainly Stephen, realize this isn’t worth fighting over.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’ve always taken Stephen’s line of ‘Come below, brother’ after the battle as the moment where they both, or certainly Stephen, realize this isn’t worth fighting over.

Yeah this is the blink-and-you'll-miss-it resolution and is fantastic. Post Captain is a book I didn't care much for while reading, but in retrospect it's probably the best book of the series (so far).

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Post Captain is a book I didn't care much for while reading, but in retrospect it's probably the best book of the series (so far).

one of us

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Yea it's great. This is my first time through the series so only my second book. Did not expect the absurdity of the whole walking across France in a bear's skin. I'm also a big fan of Austen and a lot of the interactions with/about the women have that air.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Post-captain is so unbelievably long. It's like 3 books between introducing domestic life, France/Spain, polycrest and the ship full of bees.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
It's honestly not even very long, it just feels long because of the way it's written. The other books are quite short, Post Captain is longer but it's certainly not a tome.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Yea it's great. This is my first time through the series so only my second book. Did not expect the absurdity of the whole walking across France in a bear's skin. I'm also a big fan of Austen and a lot of the interactions with/about the women have that air.

I've re-read the series 4 or 5 times at this point, but man I would give just about anything to read it again for the first time. I'm very envious.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

hannibal posted:

I've re-read the series 4 or 5 times at this point, but man I would give just about anything to read it again for the first time. I'm very envious.

Just do drugs until your memory is so bad that every time you read it, it's like the first time all over again

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Love Jack and Stephen coming up with the most outlandish poo poo to tell Mrs. Williams about Stephens castle.

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

I'm another first time reader. I spent my Sunday morning barreling through the last couple chapters of Master and Commander I had planned on reading just a bit, then the Sophie ran into the French ships and I had to see how the encounter and the aftermath played out. Post Captain is next. I've been getting them from the library so far, not sure if I am going to start buying them as I need them, or just put a box set of the series on my Christmas list. Thoroughly enjoying the read. I read the Hornblower series years ago, but only just picked up this series. I feel like I was missing out.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

You certainly were. I started with O'Brian, and he's just head and shoulders above any other similar fiction I've tried. Hornblower is probably closest for verisimilitude, but he's such a closed-off, dull person that his books are nowhere near as much fun, and they don't go as deeply into life ashore, either. I've also tried the Alan Lewrie books, which seem like the other extreme -- he's an interesting character who does a lot of fun things, but his books are kinda trashy and nowhere near as immersive.

Tried Sharpe too, actually, but the army stuff isn't as fun as the stuff they get up to at sea, and after reading 3-4 of them you really notice how similar and shallow they are, just fun adventure stories without much meat to them.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phenotype posted:

You certainly were. I started with O'Brian, and he's just head and shoulders above any other similar fiction I've tried. Hornblower is probably closest for verisimilitude, but he's such a closed-off, dull person that his books are nowhere near as much fun, and they don't go as deeply into life ashore, either. I've also tried the Alan Lewrie books, which seem like the other extreme -- he's an interesting character who does a lot of fun things, but his books are kinda trashy and nowhere near as immersive.

Tried Sharpe too, actually, but the army stuff isn't as fun as the stuff they get up to at sea, and after reading 3-4 of them you really notice how similar and shallow they are, just fun adventure stories without much meat to them.

p much yeah

haven't tried lewrie's books, but i read some bolithos and had to quit because they just weren't the real deal

bernard cornwell's other series have the same characters and plots too, regardless if they're set in viking era or whatever

i still like them, but you can't really read them all one after another

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ChubbyChecker posted:

p much yeah

haven't tried lewrie's books, but i read some bolithos and had to quit because they just weren't the real deal

bernard cornwell's other series have the same characters and plots too, regardless if they're set in viking era or whatever

i still like them, but you can't really read them all one after another

Very strongly agree with this. Liked the Sharpe books a lot when I was a teenager, but they are unashamedly pulp with a veneer of history, very much not the same genre as POB.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It’s not at all historical but Susanna Clarke’s Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell scratches some of the same itch as the Aubrey-Maturin series for me. It’s fantasy-ish, but very well written and totally engaged with its period and setting in a similar way as POB.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It’s not at all historical but Susanna Clarke’s Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell scratches some of the same itch as the Aubrey-Maturin series for me. It’s fantasy-ish, but very well written and totally engaged with its period and setting in a similar way as POB.

Seconding this. It's the same type of hilarious manners comedy as Aubrey-Maturin.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

it's excellent

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Honestly the only place you can go once you’ve absorbed O’Brien is Jane Austen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i read his book the catalans and liked it.

it was very chill and atmospheric.