Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One thing I'd want in a update is the stoneworking table to not be required to be within x distance of your projects, it's weird putting it down, picking it up, putting it back down for every bit of road or wall you are making.

IMO it would be easy just to have the stoneworking table make a "mason's hammer" that lets you make stone roads/walls/floors anywhere with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Floppychop posted:

IMO it would be easy just to have the stoneworking table make a "mason's hammer" that lets you make stone roads/walls/floors anywhere with it.

Yeah upgrades to the hammer and hoe that let you use stone is a really obvious thing that should be in the game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One thing I'd want in a update is the stoneworking table to not be required to be within x distance of your projects, it's weird putting it down, picking it up, putting it back down for every bit of road or wall you are making.

Yeah I'm a big fan of the Build Camera mod, which in addition to letting you fly the camera around wherever (most handy for placing supports underwater or getting stone floors in the ground correctly), also makes the build radius on workbenches loving huge, it's great.

But yeah a hammer upgrade absolutely should be a thing. Also the stone cutter should be a bronze tier thing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

lol i assumed everything would dissappear or break down if you moved the bench so I just have a shitload of benches near my roads, I try to dress them up with little hutches but still ugly lol

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Speaking of dumb poo poo the devs apparently really want you to do, is there any good replacement/improvement for fishing? Would be very nice to be able to craft fish farms and just plunk them down in the pools where fish spawn. As far as I can tell nobody has really come up with a good terrain mod/build system to beach them automatically either.

Here Fishy is what I use for that. All the fish in the general area jump out of the water and into your inventory when you press the bound key

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you're gonna do that you might as well just run a /spawn FishRaw 20

e: I, uh, had to look up how to do that on the wiki of course, I didn't like have it memorized or anything (glances sideways)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 30, 2022

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you're gonna do that you might as well just run a /spawn FishRaw 20

e: I, uh, had to look up how to do that on the wiki of course, I didn't like have it memorized or anything (glances sideways)

That's definitely true, but the fishing mini game is tedious as gently caress, so I don't mind

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mooktastical posted:

That's definitely true, but the fishing mini game is tedious as gently caress, so I don't mind

I have some bad news for you about fishing irl

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I have some bad news for you about fishing irl

You mean pounding mead?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drewhead posted:

You mean pounding mead?

That reminds me, Mead asked if you wanted to go fishing on the weekend.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
At plains tier it would be cool use build fish nets that consume bait (I know that isn't how fish nets work) to generate fish. You could obviously fish earlier but passive slow fish generation would be cool.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Youd think fishing would be a bigger deal to a maritime culture.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Ravenfood posted:

At plains tier it would be cool use build fish nets that consume bait (I know that isn't how fish nets work) to generate fish. You could obviously fish earlier but passive slow fish generation would be cool.
Or wicker fish traps using bait.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

anatomi posted:

Workbenches on wheels would be a nice mid to late game upgrade.

One of the best mods, Crafty Carts, is precisely this, they even have storage in them.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I'm a big fan of the Build Camera mod, which in addition to letting you fly the camera around wherever (most handy for placing supports underwater or getting stone floors in the ground correctly), also makes the build radius on workbenches loving huge, it's great.

Build Camera is a must for me. The location of materials and benches is always relative to the player, so if you have a craft from chests-type mod you can just stand next to your storage area, which is probably near your benches anyway, and not have to worry about positioning or refilling your inventory. The free camera also makes it much easier to deal with wonky snap positions and I think it's nearly necessary to build bridges and docks over deep water. The only slightly off thing is that the hoe doesn't work well for anything but creating flat ground at the level of the player's feet, since the height is also calculated relative to the player.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I wouldn’t say no to something that blocks waves, all my beachfront properties have an inundation problem.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Torquemada posted:

I wouldn’t say no to something that blocks waves, all my beachfront properties have an inundation problem.

It seems like this is a pretty core technical issue. Water goes through everything including terrain as far as I can tell. If you have a flatish beach and move inland a bit, then dig a deep pit it'll get the waves running through it even if its not connected directly to the ocean with a canal or something.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

It seems like this is a pretty core technical issue. Water goes through everything including terrain as far as I can tell. If you have a flatish beach and move inland a bit, then dig a deep pit it'll get the waves running through it even if its not connected directly to the ocean with a canal or something.

This is correct, water level is a global thing, it happens as a random fluctuation around (essentially) 0 height/sea level regardless of location. It's why there aren't proper rivers. Though the tar pits do indicate they're working on something with that I guess?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It's also what makes moats and canals possible. I use that at almost every base to make a protected harbor so my precious boats aren't getting slammed into the dock constantly.

Protip if you do this: install the Use Items in Water mod. It'll cut the digging time in half.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It’s cool to see the rolling waves from my modernist housing project, I just wish my breakwater/lighthouse broke water, heh. New question, is it just alterations to terrain that cause slow down or lagging, or do you feel the effects even just with large building projects?

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

It's number of instances in the area. Terrain alterations used to cause a huge amount of instances and so used to be the major culprit in the demise of your framerate. Also light sources and highly animated objects like the hot tub, windmills, spinning wheels, and blast furnaces seem to hit my fps hard.

Burns
May 10, 2008

In truth i am hoping whatever they are now working on also includes technical upgrades to the game. Mistlands looks somewhat vertical with lots of cliffs. I hope they add new ways to navigate these environments.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Eric the Mauve posted:

The game requires you to spend far, far too much time in the swamp to get kitted up for Bonemass/Mountains.

Lol, what.

You need enough for a pick, then you arrow a few drakes for frost arrows. Then you cheese bonemass from a platform that he cannot reach.

I think haters of the swamp are not very good at the game.

edit: Yeah, that was a rather late response...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
If you are cheesing stuff you aren't very good tbh. The game isn't that hard when played normally.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Slow News Day posted:

If you are cheesing stuff you aren't very good tbh. The game isn't that hard when played normally.

Playing "normally" would have you getting way too geared for bonemass. Play smarter, not harder.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Play the game how you want but be absolutely sure to tell everyone that you did it the One True Way and everyone else is playing it wrong.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I get that it's, like, uncool to tell people how to play. But when people say that you have to spend too long in the swamp and gearing for bonemass, I think "get frost arrows and build a high platform so you can skip to mountains" is actually pretty good advice, if rudely given.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Burns posted:

In truth i am hoping whatever they are now working on also includes technical upgrades to the game. Mistlands looks somewhat vertical with lots of cliffs. I hope they add new ways to navigate these environments.

This is honestly the thing I am hoping for the most as to why its taking a bit longer than I expected.

Im hoping the financial boost in resources/staff from the success allowed them to address technical stuff earlier than they anticipated and it coming to consoles required a bit more back end technical work to improve performance.

Like its weird this game is technically "Verified for Steam Deck" but it is pretty much unplayable in areas with a lot of instances.

I love this game deeply but it is probably one of if not the most poorly optimized games Ive ever played given its actual graphical fidelity.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I cheese the bosses because fighting them is a boring slog. I just want to build poo poo and run from sea snakes.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

pork never goes bad posted:

I get that it's, like, uncool to tell people how to play. But when people say that you have to spend too long in the swamp and gearing for bonemass, I think "get frost arrows and build a high platform so you can skip to mountains" is actually pretty good advice, if rudely given.

It's not, though. Bonemass is incredibly easy with nothing but an iron mace and poison resist mead. You don't have to spend hardly any time at all gearing for bonemass. People complain about spending too long in the swamp because of padded armor and iron wood beams for construction, it has nothing to do with the boss.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Gadzuko posted:

It's not, though. Bonemass is incredibly easy with nothing but an iron mace and poison resist mead. You don't have to spend hardly any time at all gearing for bonemass. People complain about spending too long in the swamp because of padded armor and iron wood beams for construction, it has nothing to do with the boss.

This is the reply that led to this little cheese or not derail. You'll notice that the complaint this time is literally and explicitly gearing for Bonemass and the Mountains. I also found Bonemass pretty hard my first try because I'm perpetually unable to be conservative in this game and constantly get caught out with no stam because I am impatient and impulsive. Cheesing him my second solo playthrough was seriously much nicer and let me explore mountain caves much sooner than I otherwise would have. It was a good call. So, yeah, the complaint about spending time in the swamps for iron beams I 100% agree with. But if you hate spending underpowered time in the swamps as you progress through, cheese the heck out of the boss if that works better for you. Yeah, an iron mace and poison resist mead will get you through if you have frankly much higher skill, attention, and restraint than the arrow cheese requires.

Eric the Mauve posted:

The swamp's super cool for about the first 20 minutes, and then you've seen everything it has to offer and it's an agonizingly samey slog forevermore. The game requires you to spend far, far too much time in the swamp to get kitted up for Bonemass/Mountains. Next time I start a character from scratch I'll probably use Valheim+ to jack up how much iron you get from scrap piles.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gadzuko posted:

Yeah the swamp is the first place in the game where it really forces you to engage with it on it's own terms by understanding damage types and playing conservatively, and Bonemass is the epitome of that. Once you learn how to conserve stamina and how insanely OP blunt damage is though, he is indeed very easy. And you don't need much gear for the mountains either, Troll Armor + Atgeir and Bow will do you just fine.

And honestly on my second play through I find I don't really mind the swamp at all :shrug:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I defeat the bosses normally because I am powerful

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

I defeat the bosses normally because I am powerful

Very strong, tell us your secrets big boi

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

i hit them with a sword

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Babe Magnet posted:

i hit them with a sword

:hmmyes:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Babe Magnet posted:

i hit them with a sword

Hell if I wanted to simply /swing sword, I'd still be playing ZORK.
(ZORK is an incredibly fun game, mind you)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I thought Bonemass wasn't so bad. Honestly I find Lox more annoying than any valheim boss.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Babe Magnet posted:

i hit them with a sword

real ballers use maces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Eifert Posting posted:

I thought Bonemass wasn't so bad. Honestly I find Lox more annoying than any valheim boss.

Lox are really easy to parry, though if you gently caress it up you're in a world of pain