Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I read up on the Travis the chimp incident and am now haunted by the phrase "he's eating her!"

I think I'd rather hop into a tiger's enclosure than be in within ripping distance of a chimp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I was listening to this track from the movie just now, "The Run Urban Legends" by Michael Abels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilp7qHb9U-A

I was using with my headphones which are p decent quality and when the song hits the first peak at around 0:40 you can hear a certain instrument in the background that seems out of place with the strings.

It's a cuica. A Brazillian drum instrument that sounds like a monkey. Here's a video of one in action if you can't hear it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVOtE1qSymU

Long story short, spooky song scared me!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Speaking of Jordan Peele and horror, yesterday they dropped a trailer for Wendell and Wild, a Henry Sellick stop-motion film coming to Netflix, with Key and Peele as the titular likely-antagonists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNUZsLfAMqk

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Dr Christmas posted:

Speaking of Jordan Peele and horror, yesterday they dropped a trailer for Wendell and Wild, a Henry Sellick stop-motion film coming to Netflix, with Key and Peele as the titular likely-antagonists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNUZsLfAMqk

they should do more to highlight that peele is a cowriter, that's the most exciting part to me

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

VFX breakdown, almost every shot has sky replacement in it.

https://www.vfxvoice.com/there-is-horror-in-the-clouds-in-nope/

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Posting this Rebuild of Evangelion scene because (a) it's extremely cool, and (b) it likely inspired the later action scenes in Nope in several different ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3OZt45NbA8

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

graham cracker posted:

It's a cuica. A Brazillian drum instrument that sounds like a monkey. Here's a video of one in action if you can't hear it.

The cuica is literally the most irritating instrument ever constructed. I interned at a recording studio that did a lot of cuts of a local samba marching band, so I heard it a lot. It's seriously the worst, most obnoxious thing ever. At least bagpipes carry a harmony.

Just popping in to say this movie was great, all of the shots of Jean Jacket's interior were terrifying (and kinda reminded me of Fire In The Sky), and I legit did the Leo point meme at the screen when Emerald did the Akira bike slide.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
One thing I missed: how did the name Jean Jacket go from the horse Keke was supposed to train to the name of the skycuttlefish monster?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ProperCoochie posted:

One thing I missed: how did the name Jean Jacket go from the horse Keke was supposed to train to the name of the skycuttlefish monster?

OJ named it that as a symbolic way to let her have another go at taming JJ with him (by getting photos of the big flying saucer without anybody dying).

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Why is the movie called Nope? Beyond just being memorable I mean.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Tumblr has pointed out to me that OJ interacts with Angel like he’s a horse, and that’s hilarious.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 8, 2022

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

massive spider posted:

Why is the movie called Nope? Beyond just being memorable I mean.

I think it hinges off the conversation OJ has with Em - “What’s a bad miracle? They got a word for that?” “Nope.” So you could imagine the movie being actually titled “Bad Miracles.” The theme runs in a lot - the camera gets a really cool close-up of a mantis at exactly the wrong time, the shoe on the Gordy set is perfectly upright but the cause is a murder spree, we’ve discovered a new species but it’s killing people, and if you wanna delve into the cut content, Jupe’s life is saved by a man who came to the set to hurt people.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, 'nope' is repeatedly shown to be the smartest reaction anyone has to JJ. Several characters survive by literally noping out rather than letting their hubris consume them.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Pirate Jet posted:

I think it hinges off the conversation OJ has with Em - “What’s a bad miracle? They got a word for that?” “Nope.” So you could imagine the movie being actually titled “Bad Miracles.” The theme runs in a lot - the camera gets a really cool close-up of a mantis at exactly the wrong time, the shoe on the Gordy set is perfectly upright but the cause is a murder spree, we’ve discovered a new species but it’s killing people, and if you wanna delve into the cut content, Jupe’s life is saved by a man who came to the set to hurt people.

OJ also says it when he's getting barfed on in his truck, he looks up and sees JJ (who is Not Of Planet Earth) over him and says nope before closing the door and sitting tight.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Baron von Eevl posted:

OJ also says it when he's getting barfed on in his truck, he looks up and sees JJ (who is Not Of Planet Earth) over him and says nope before closing the door and sitting tight.

I love how he closes the door very gently.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

davidspackage posted:

Makes perfect sense. Don't wanna make noise and attract attention.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

davidspackage posted:

And then calmly locks it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

While I'm not sure how to verify, apparently some of the very early UFO theories were that they were actually flying organisms that ate people, with one mysterious rain of offal being attributed to one, before the flying vehicle theories became standard.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

The_Doctor posted:

Tumblr has pointed out to me that OJ interacts with Angel like he’s a horse, and that’s hilarious.

Lol good poo poo.

All around excellent movie and my favorite of Peele's movies. They are all good though.. Us had the weakest story but made up for it with the beyond excellent cast.

Jean Jacket really makes you think like drat, what if? Great movie.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Peele liked a tweet that described Emerald as having ADHD and OJ as autistic, so that’s something to take into account too.

https://twitter.com/kocasoda/status/1567035794677968896

julietthecat
Oct 28, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

While I'm not sure how to verify, apparently some of the very early UFO theories were that they were actually flying organisms that ate people, with one mysterious rain of offal being attributed to one, before the flying vehicle theories became standard.

One early and famous representation of such sky beasts comes from Arthur Conan Doyle.

UFOs as biological entities also resonates with the phenomenon of angel hair.

And yeah there's occasional reports of blood or meat falling from the sky, although I usually see them connected to forteana generally and not UFOs. It's a cool line to connect. This is a neat overview.

One reason I love Nope is that it's consonant with my favorite analysis of UFOs. Basically, the author analyzes the evidence pretty meticulously and argues that if you give up the assumption that UFOs are technology (and thus have builders, pilots, etc.) and look at what they actually do, they don't seem particularly smart. Really, in the best reported cases, they evidence the intelligence of animals. A neat connection.

julietthecat fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 11, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I keep pondering the question ‘If JJ is an alien, how did it get to Earth?’ Its biology doesn’t seem like it would survive in the void of space all that well, I’d imagine?

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

The_Doctor posted:

I keep pondering the question ‘If JJ is an alien, how did it get to Earth?’ Its biology doesn’t seem like it would survive in the void of space all that well, I’d imagine?

Maybe its "eggs" or equivalent are more compact and meteor-like?

Edit: Or it could be, as the Orz like to say, a 'finger' rather than a 'bubble'. It could be something intersecting with our level of dimensional space rather than passing through it in a linear fashion, and therefore have no need to travel through interstellar space.

Owl at Home fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 11, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m watching Close Encounters and I forgot the mothership at the end makes its own cloud as it travels to the mountain. :allears:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Probably the eggs or larvae move through space and the adult form stays in atmospheres. Also, there are jellyfish that can revert to the larval stage when needed.

Or it could be of terrestrial origin and just previously unknown.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

simplest explanation is usually the correct one: it's indigenous to earth and has been cohabitating with humanity all along. no need to address the space travel dilemma!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I’m watching Close Encounters and I forgot the mothership at the end makes its own cloud as it travels to the mountain. :allears:

Not my tweet, but god, this one alien. :stare:

https://twitter.com/slimyswampghost/status/1563392690401656837

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

God Hole posted:

simplest explanation is usually the correct one: it's indigenous to earth and has been cohabitating with humanity all along. no need to address the space travel dilemma!

This is my take, too. It's even implied when OJ is trying to process things in Angel's apartment and audio from a TV or game is talking about a "dragon swallowing up whole towns". It's making the connection between the mythology of dragons and JJ.

I really think the whole "not of planet earth" was a pre-release misdirection, just like how the final trailer had a changed line to hide that JJ was not a UAP but a monster.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

God Hole posted:

I thought Peele confirmed NOPE is an acronym for Not Of Planet Earth

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The latest theory around the meteor that killed the dinosaurs is that it came from Jupiter

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

that's not an alien, it's a ghost they abducted that is being returned with the people :v:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

SlimGoodbody posted:

I thought Peele confirmed NOPE is an acronym for Not Of Planet Earth

He did not, it’s always been fan speculation that’s been completely run away with.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Just don't look
Just don't look

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The_Doctor posted:

Interstellar bilge water from the Roswell UFO.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Interstellar seeds maybe? Some alien pollen crashes on/as an asteroid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This one always skeeved me out as a kid and the actual puppet is even freakier

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

CelticPredator posted:

This one always skeeved me out as a kid and the actual puppet is even freakier

that looks a lot like the future robots in AI

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Pirate Jet posted:

He did not, it’s always been fan speculation that’s been completely run away with.

He did in fact confirm it.

https://www.tiktok.com/@imdb/video/...623943309856046

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

That's apparently a thing in UFO lore, spaceships disguising as clouds, and both Close Encounters and Nope clearly did a LOT of research on it. (Not to mention Nope has a lot of Close Encounters references as well as to Spielberg movies in general)

TIP posted:

that looks a lot like the future robots in AI

And guess which share directors?

There's a reason Slenderman's design settled on the one it did.