Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

If we want to tear down the system we must first start with an internal struggle session, throwing off our worldly possessions as a sacrifice to the twins

burn it all down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Bop the old guy in the face, save the whole family

I still stand that we didn't do 180 on current Georg's values as we may not have defended Gloria in court, but we defended her from Gregor and did so without exploding the family. It wasn't a pretty result, yeah, but there wasn't a clean way out of that situation no matter what we did. The ruffians legally still struck Stephan, the matter of Gloria's poetry may have arisen to public view- this was simply a battle against the Lots we couldn't win.

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why isn't there an option to shank the old fucker.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
Stop the old foozler!

Even though I suspect that the lamp will shatter somehow during the tussle. If anything, it will hopefully give us a chance to save mother as well as the siblings.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Rock Grandpa's poo poo

MarmaladeSkies
Jun 16, 2022
Stop Grandpa

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Stop this idiot. He was never very nice to begin with but now he's wandering in his wits!

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Oh great, someone just got me to get another game to add to my backlog. Hope you're happy with yourself.

And in all seriousness - great lp Kayten, kick his rear end

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Stop him.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Stop! the old git.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Stop him!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Help grandpa eating his own lantern

To be honest, I have jack poo poo sympathy for the four would be rapists, so I was A-OK with letting them swing.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

yeah this is pretty easy stop your hate-criming grandfather

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
1.9 - The Blood Tide

Another short one, these important decisions keep on coming.

We never liked this rear end in a top hat anyhow.

Gregor does what Gregor does.

For the first time, the hit doesn't come.

The world has become a better place.

Unsurprisingly, Gregor wasn't a fan of our final "gently caress you" to him.

We got stat boosts out of it, though.

Good.

I think the rest of the family is taking it too hard.

You know, I was never clear on what Gregor's relationship with Nathan was like. I guess, given the fact that he's your full brother, probably not great.

Stephan is crushed.

Imagine building a crypt for yourself. What an egotistical rear end in a top hat.

gently caress off, Stephan.

Here it comes, the Brante Blood Tide.

It's noble bullshit, but that doesn't make it any less real.

By entering the Blood Tide, we become a part of this dynasty in a magical, lawful way, certified by the Twins themselves. Our destiny will be directly tied with the destiny of House Brante. We can expect supernatural help from the rest of the dynasty, and be expected to help them as well.

On the other hand, it's a dynasty started directly by the most vile person we know. Do we take on this sanguine burden?

--

Do we enter the Brante Blood Tide?

A. We're not nobles, we didn't like Gregor, the Lots are bullshit, we're not tying ourselves to this prick. Give the dagger back.

B. As much as this rear end in a top hat hated it, we're his grandson, and as such, are entitled to this. Enter the Blood Tide.

If we were nicer to Gregor, or excessively noble, we could've asked his permission to do so.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Bleed. Nothing to be gained making a display at a family mourning.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Hand the dagger back. After all that, why ritually tie ourselves to a guy who was ready to literally kill us with fire?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Join the bloodtide. With any luck, the still-living brantes might compensate for and surpass the blot gramps was on the family.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Bleed. It's the thing gramps would've least wanted, after all~

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
If we're to overturn the nobility and the Lots, we're better off with the chance of breaking it down from the inside. We'll have him rolling in his tomb in a few years, I'm sure. That and we didn't kiss the sword for nothin'.

As much of a miserable rear end in a top hat Gregor was, do the blood ritual.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Bleed. We're not doing this for you, Gregor, we're doing this to do RIGHT.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bleed

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

B, because he'd loving hate a bunch of filthy commoners making up a full 50% of the blood tide

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Blood for the rear end in a top hat god

MarmaladeSkies
Jun 16, 2022
Spite bleed spite bleed spite bleed

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I think it’s perfectly logical that Gregor’s death shook the family to its core. For worse, Gregor made himself the center of the family. So some shock in the face of a great big personality vacuum is understandable.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought we'd have to use a pillow, didn't expect the old bastard to be so obliging about his death.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
Bleed. Gregor was just one man, our ancestors may have been better people. Besides, it's an opportunity to gloat and to tell him to gently caress off in the afterlife.

Gregor built the crypt for the family, not just for himself. Which wasn't too unusual for the kind of era this game is set in.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Crazycryodude posted:

B, because he'd loving hate a bunch of filthy commoners making up a full 50% of the blood tide

B this + free magic

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

sebmojo posted:

Blood for the rear end in a top hat god

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kayten posted:

Unsurprisingly, Gregor wasn't a fan of our final "gently caress you" to him.

Why is the game still tracking Gregor's opinion of us even after his True Death? Is this a bug, or can Gregor still gently caress with us from beyond the grave?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

This LP got me to play the demo, at least. Game seems fun. Disappointed about how it supposedly turns out but it's not like I was expecting full revolution. Will probably stop paying attention to this thread after Chapter 2, where the demo stops, until I play the full game, but for now, let's go with B, which would probably piss off our grandpa more.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Echoing the spite option, B, let's pollute the old man's precious blood tide and laugh about it.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Crymetimeboys posted:

or can Gregor still gently caress with us from beyond the grave?

Bleed in hope of getting to have his ghost bitch at us from hell

Although, from what I've seen in this LP, he's probably way at the top of the Pillar, unliving in up and getting congratulated by other noble ghosts on just how much of an rear end in a top hat he was

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Crymetimeboys posted:

Why is the game still tracking Gregor's opinion of us even after his True Death? Is this a bug, or can Gregor still gently caress with us from beyond the grave?

Because his opinion mattered for unlocking the option to seek his blessing, and we're not feeling well likes enough to attempt that.

Understandable, really

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
1.10 - The End of Adolescence

Well, that was practically unanimous.

gently caress off, Gregor, we're doing this.

Poor Nathan. What would he do without us.

Ah. So that's why we still have Gregor's opinion tracked.

Yep, Gregor is now a voice in our head, though a rather limited one.

Father is happy we didn't gently caress up a ritual for once.

Go us.

Our Ingenuity is high enough to trigger Gloria's event.

I'm sure those walls will never come up again.

This will be an increasingly common sight - commoners using poetry as an outlet. First completely hidden from sight, but later in taverns, and even more public gatherings.

The taverns specifically seem to draw from the Parisian cafes of the 18th century. While the nobles and the haute (high) bourgeoisie gathered in salons (meetings at an aristocrat's house) and cercles (gentlemen's clubs, mostly), the less well-off bourgeoisie and the workers looked for coffee-houses. These were cheaper and didn't require an invitation, and thus attracted a very different clientelle. Often, a cafe would have a small stage for performing plays, or reading poetry or prose, with loud criticism and discussion afterwards. Also don't let the name fool you, these weren't like modern coffee houses, you could get booze and food there as well.

Once the French Revolution really took off, Revolutionary clubs (proto-political parties) used them for meetings to discuss policy and less-savoury activities. See also: taverns in the Thirteen Colonies before and during their own bourgeois revolution.

Our sister, always in this sort of situation.

It's nice to see Gloria meet people with same interests as her.

Let's not keep her waiting, we already know what we're gonna choose.

We're a sucker for encouraging dangerous anti-noble activity.

They have terrible opsec, though.

Of course Gloria is thrilled with us helping them out.

And for helping them be sneaky, we get another Ingenuity point.

Another Destiny event complete.

Gregor status: still dead. Our status: still psyched about it.

We notice commotion on the streets. Arkanians rarely come to this part of town.

Meet Dorius Otton. He's a piece of poo poo and a major part of several paths.

Turns out he's the noble Sophia was given to as a servant. You remember Sophia, right? The girl we let get run over by horses?

Since we know the area pretty well, we find her quickly.

Turns out she's not a fan of Otton!

Will we rat her out to the nobles?

No, of course not. Our Ingenuity is high enough to help her get away.

So we hoof it!

This almost works out.

Ah.

Hm. Well, we wish her luck.

Sophia obviously likes that we helped her escape. We even gave her a little bit of hope.

Fighting against nobility does take it out of us though. We're still not in the negatives, so we can act, but only once before we have to rest.

Also she kissed us!

Sophia is one of three possible romance options, the other two being Octavia Milanidas and Jeanne. Each one is associated with a specific path.

We turn 15 and get to see some more New Faith stuff. In public this time, even.

Mother is obviously not a fan.

And we get front-row seats. This is the Patriarch of Magra, the head honcho of the province.

As far I can tell, the Church of the Twins is set up somewhat like the Eastern Orthodox Church. The Eastern Orthodox Church is split into Patriarchates - the original five (Rome, Antioch, Alexandria + Constantinople and Jerusalem) followed by the first principalities that converted to Greek Christianity (Bulgaria, Georgia, Serbia, Russia, Romania). There are smaller organizational units that were added later (Cyprus, Albania, Ukraine, etc.), though those are governed by a lower-ranked priest (metropolitan vs. a patriarch).

The key difference between Catholic dioceses (bishoprics) headed by an arch-bishop ruling an arch-diocese, and Orthodox patriarchates headed by a patriarch is autocephaly - self-governance. This means that the patriarchs do not answer to anyone above them, except god, unlike archbishops, who report to the Pope. There's the Ecumenical Patriarch, who sits in Istanbul, but he's officially a "first among equals" and doesn't have any authority over the others.

We see a similar thing here, where provincial Patriarchs tell each to go gently caress themselves over doctrinal issues. This is also why the New Faith isn't a heresy (yet) - there are Patriarchs who either support it, like Fotis, or who tolerate it, as we'll see later.

Cool poo poo, for a religious figure.

Ah.

We learn another important fact about how True Death works.

Things are shaking up.

And so, our time at home has come to an end. We're almost an adult now.

Mother and Father argue about what we should do with ourselves.

While Nathan and Gloria wish us well.

We get to spend a little more time with one of them before heading off to adulthood.

--

Who do we spend our last evening with?

A.. Mother has always been there for us, in her own way. We should go and pray with her.

B. We've spent most of our childhood and adolescence backing our sister. Let's go hang out with Gloria.

C. Nathan seemed upset at our leaving. We should go and make him feel better.

Had we been on better terms with Father, we could've spent the evening with him instead.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Does ingenuity carry over or get converted?

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Josef bugman posted:

Does ingenuity carry over or get converted?

All stats get combined into our skills. We wouldn't be wasting points if we get more Ingenuity.

MarmaladeSkies
Jun 16, 2022
Nathan

In-character, it’s because our brother is so nervous. Out of character, we’ll likely need that Willpower for shenanigans

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Nathan

Gotta reassure our little bro. That, and the willpower is definitely going to be useful on the precipice of a new section of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is a tough choice. Stat points would be nice but we're also in serious need of more willpower.

Nathan, it won't do any harm improving our relationship with him too.