Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

So how does one get their pup to play fetch or tug or anything like that?

Ours is great with training, and loves to chase and run around, but we can't seem to get him interested in balls at all or rope tugs. We've tried tossing his plushy toy when he is into it, and he'll run after it and drop it when we call him (but not near us) but even that is fleeting and I think he thinks we are taking it away from him instead of playing.

I feel like some dogs just aren't going to care, although I've never really had a puppy and would think they'd be more interested in play.

Have you worked on any obedience training? If you have a marker word, use that and give them treats while they're actively playing with you, then build the association with the word "play" or "ball" or whatever.

But yea my hound just doesn't give a poo poo about balls, rope toys, squeaky toys etc. and that's how she's been since I got her when she was 3.5 years. If it's not edible, it's simply not interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My hound has never really cared about toys too much other than ones she can tear apart. Once in a blue moon she’ll randomly bring a stick over to me and tug for two minutes before going back to doing her own thing.

My shepherd LOVES tug and having things thrown for him but he’s the epitome of the “no take, only throw” dog.

Really just depends on their personality.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think my dog is trying to bankrupt me with her monthly spine shot, special medicated food, new monthly allergy shot and occasional ear goo. Does anyone think pet insurance will help me out here? her recent allergy induced ear infection cost me $700 overall and her last visit was $360 and I have another appointment this week to refresh her shots and now her other ear is acting up and I'm going crazy. If she has infection in the other ear and my dumbass vet missed it this whole time I'm gonna lose my poo poo. Still love her though

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

hatty posted:

I think my dog is trying to bankrupt me with her monthly spine shot, special medicated food, new monthly allergy shot and occasional ear goo. Does anyone think pet insurance will help me out here? her recent allergy induced ear infection cost me $700 overall and her last visit was $360 and I have another appointment this week to refresh her shots and now her other ear is acting up and I'm going crazy. If she has infection in the other ear and my dumbass vet missed it this whole time I'm gonna lose my poo poo. Still love her though

I think you'dd be able to get term insurance that would explicitly not cover any of these extant problems. Which to be fair to the loving vampires who run insurance, is kinda the point. You buy it incase you need it, not after you do.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

hatty posted:

Yeah pet insurance doesn’t cover pre existing conditions and yes they will call your vet to confirm.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah figured as much, ah well back to chicken and rice for dinner

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MagpieConcept posted:

I think I figured it out, my dog is part bat :drac:

lol Chop Chop's got big ol bat ears too. I'll try to get a pic

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

MagpieConcept posted:

I think I figured it out, my dog is part bat :drac:

good bat.

i've been thinking a lot about dogs and the games they do or don't like to play. my last dog was a terrier mix, he loved tugging - we could play with a tug toy for hours, and whenever he won he'd ceremoniously kill the toy by shaking it around - but never fetched, he'd chase the ball a few times without ever bringing it back and then get bored. iris doesn't tug at all, if she's got a toy and i tug it she immediately lets it go, but she loves to fetch and brings the ball back to me every time. they're strange

one of the yards iris likes to visit on our walks has two dogs, a red cattledog and a cattledog staffy cross, both unfortunately hugely obese. they talk to her through the fence and then get so worked up that they twirl in circles while barking hysterically, and then while twirling they start smacking into each other like spinning tops and trying to knock each other over. they are both completely round and it's the most extraordinary thing to behold

an egg fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 7, 2022

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

My 9 month old Bernedoodle stayed at a 4.4 rated local "Oasis Pet Resort" for about 5 hours as a trial for when me and my partner go on a short vacation out of the country at the end of the month.

I went to pick him up and he was completely fine, but obviously a little amped up from being around a bunch of dogs and also being someplace new for a while without dad and mom.

When he got back, he was pretty much pooped and spent most of the evening snoozing.

But since this morning all four of his paw pads are irritated and went from a slight pink to steadily more red over time. He's favoring his right forward foot, lifts his left paw when he pees, is limping when he walks, is super low energy and has been licking his paws a lot. He still has an appetite and still drinks water like a boss, though

We soaked his pads a little bit and cleaned them with a damp cloth but what even happened is eluding me. I'm a concerned and wondering just what the actual hell happened to him over at doggy day care. Like how am I gonna fuckin leave him for like 4 days there if he comes back like this after just barely one?!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Was he in his own kennel or in a play area with other dogs? He might have played too long with other dogs on a rough surface and abraded his paws and strained his joints a bit. He's still a bit young to be playing hard with adult dogs for too long even if he might be bigger than some of them.

Or maybe he was digging at the kennel if he was in one and was anxious at being left in a loud smelly strange place. A good boarding place should have some general idea of what he was up to during that time, especially as it's his first experience there.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Just paws as well? This is the start of primo allergy season that effects one of my hounds enough we do shots from July to October

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I was wondering if it's just some allergic reaction. Any pet place quiet its salt should be using pet friendly stuff / cleaning properly, but it's possibly the dog could still just be having an allergic reaction.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AndyElusive posted:

My 9 month old Bernedoodle stayed at a 4.4 rated local "Oasis Pet Resort" for about 5 hours as a trial for when me and my partner go on a short vacation out of the country at the end of the month.

I went to pick him up and he was completely fine, but obviously a little amped up from being around a bunch of dogs and also being someplace new for a while without dad and mom.

When he got back, he was pretty much pooped and spent most of the evening snoozing.

But since this morning all four of his paw pads are irritated and went from a slight pink to steadily more red over time. He's favoring his right forward foot, lifts his left paw when he pees, is limping when he walks, is super low energy and has been licking his paws a lot. He still has an appetite and still drinks water like a boss, though

We soaked his pads a little bit and cleaned them with a damp cloth but what even happened is eluding me. I'm a concerned and wondering just what the actual hell happened to him over at doggy day care. Like how am I gonna fuckin leave him for like 4 days there if he comes back like this after just barely one?!
So no lie we went through this with our bernedoosle: turned out Brisket was allergic to their floor cleaner and by licking it it was making him sick.
But he was there for a week not five hours

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The spa is an indoor/outdoor concept that lets dogs move about and play or relax in an outdoor yard and/or indoors as a pack at their own leisure while being monitored by the staff. At first we thought maybe he just scuffed his pads while playing too hard with a bigger dog maybe? But since this morning things have just gotten worse. My girlfriend is on her way to get a cone from the vet since they're all booked up and we're going to wash and epson salt his feet and try to wrap them when she returns.

And yeah it's just his paws. My boss who owns dogs suggested maybe it was something they use to clean their floors that caused a reaction? If he's allergic, this is very sudden.

Here's his front two paws at the moment:

He's started to whine a little, which is loving killing me and their obviously sore and raw from licking so the cone should help but they're also twitching from pain. He won't walk very far and we gotta carry his 80lb rear end to the yard to let him pee and poop.

Poor guy. I can't believe this, after such a short stay.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Chin Strap posted:

Ours is great with training, and loves to chase and run around, but we can't seem to get him interested in balls at all or rope tugs. We've tried tossing his plushy toy when he is into it, and he'll run after it and drop it when we call him (but not near us) but even that is fleeting and I think he thinks we are taking it away from him instead of playing.

I had to teach one of my seeing eye pups to play tug (for some reason this was a vitally important part of her training but I cannot remember why at all. Maybe as part of training give? Stopping her from mouthing?). Part of it was having one dedicated tug toy that only came out when we played tug to make her extra interested in it. Then I'd dangle it in front of her and if she mouthed it or touched it even a little, I'd mark that and reward her for it, and just kept going with that with increased time increments etc as she figured it out. I'd never had a dog that didn't automatically love playing tug of war so I was really confused at having to teach her, but she loves it now!

Can't help on fetch, we're discouraged from playing that with the training pups so they don't develop ball obsessions and the only other dogs I've had have been jack russels so I've never needed to teach them that lol.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AndyElusive posted:

The spa is an indoor/outdoor concept that lets dogs move about and play or relax in an outdoor yard and/or indoors as a pack at their own leisure while being monitored by the staff. At first we thought maybe he just scuffed his pads while playing too hard with a bigger dog maybe? But since this morning things have just gotten worse. My girlfriend is on her way to get a cone from the vet since they're all booked up and we're going to wash and epson salt his feet and try to wrap them when she returns.

And yeah it's just his paws. My boss who owns dogs suggested maybe it was something they use to clean their floors that caused a reaction? If he's allergic, this is very sudden.

Here's his front two paws at the moment:

He's started to whine a little, which is loving killing me and their obviously sore and raw from licking so the cone should help but they're also twitching from pain. He won't walk very far and we gotta carry his 80lb rear end to the yard to let him pee and poop.

Poor guy. I can't believe this, after such a short stay.

Do you have a cone? If its something on the paws you should probably not have him licking his paws.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

My gf is on her way home with a cone as I type this.

Edit: pup has been coned.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 8, 2022

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My envigro beagle is still settling in. He finally understands what treats are so we have been working on training him. He is still having some issues with peeing in the house which is understandible since he peed in his kennel his whole life. Thankfully we planned to replace the upstairs carpet in the next few months anyway! His one weird quirk is he gets SUPER excited when someone comes home that he grabs the nearest cloth thing and runs around with it. That could be the blanket on our bed, dirty clothes on the floor, the sleeve of my sweater, etc. I have a bunch of old cloth diapers so we're making sure we have one on hand and just toss it to him.

Edit: He's almost gained enough weight that he can't fit through our deck railing anymore!

Alterian fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 8, 2022

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

^ Awww, what a cute beagle! :3:

I can't remember if I mentioned this in my post but Maggie came from a friend who needed to emergency rehome her after adopting her - the shelter had a no refunds/no take back policy (which seems really weird for a shelter but idk) and my friend owns chickens which Maggie proceeded to try and murder. She's great with cats and kids and other dogs.....chickens are just too delicious, apparently. :( I wasn't really prepared when I got her and had to set up a lot of temporary things, but she's doing great despite that.

My friend also said she was very timid and barely ate anything, and now she's scarfing down food ASAP and very confident and energetic. I guess the change of scenery did her some good. She's way higher energy than any dog I've owned previously, but that's kind of a hidden positive because it's getting me walking and outdoors more. The training focus has mainly been impulse control because she gets so excited she doesn't know how to handle herself - trying the advice of "make her sit before treats/walks/petting" seems to be working well though.

Also side question: When it comes to leashes and collars when walking, what do people of this thread use for their dogs? Right now I have martingale collar + standard leash (because very thin neck, slips out of other collars easily) but I'm considering a chest/back harness for hikes as a precaution if leash gets tangled on a branch or something so it's not choking her.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I prefer harnesses just because if you ever need to try and haul them off by the leash in an emergency you aren’t dragging them around by the throat.

Relatedly, on the topic of leashes, I loving hate those stupid extending leashes and if you walk your dog on one you are an rear end in a top hat. Keep the dog on a fixed length leash so it knows how far it can go, and if you need to grab it and shorten it’s range quickly you aren’t going to tear your hands up on a thin nylon cord and then mostly fail to avert whatever you were trying to avert.

Some dickhead was out with his dog this morning on one and the dog decided it wanted to fight my little guys, so it bolts across the street attached to this skinny-rear end string while the dickhead fumbles with the lock button and otherwise makes no attempt to arrest it.

I had to get down and body check his big-rear end dog while scooping mine up to get between them until he ran over to pull it off of us.

Like maybe I could see an excuse if you want to take your dog to run in an open park but it can’t be trusted to come back if it’s off the leash, but just walking down the street there’s absolutely no need for it.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Chin Strap posted:

The few times we've gotten Teddy to do anything like fetch is to make a big deal of putting the ball in front of him so he's interested and wants to take it and then tossing it away. If he's in the mood he'll run after it. There's a 50/50 chance he'll actually pick it up versus just running by it and flopping down nearby. If he does pick it up, we make a big noise so he'll run over to us, though usually he runs by us and flops down a few feet away. :shrug: I think I got him to actually "fetch" and come back to me for a total of about five minutes one day.

He's definitely more interested in chase. I run him around by holding a stick that he can go after and he'll do laps with me. Otherwise he goes right for the ankles/pants.

Sometimes he's on the other end of the yard and I crouch down and call for him and he'll puppy-run over for pets and it's wonderful. :3:

Edit: We've been trying really hard to get Teddy out into the world before he has all his shots. Between car rides and carrying him around in a totebag, I think we've been doing a pretty good job. He's the chillest dog and doesn't even bat an eye at other people or places. I hope that doesn't change. Reading these stories about other dogs flipping out makes me so glad about Teddy's personality.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

AndyElusive posted:

Edit: pup has been coned.

Poor pupper. I hope he gets better soon.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Relatedly, on the topic of leashes, I loving hate those stupid extending leashes
[...]
Like maybe I could see an excuse if you want to take your dog to run in an open park but it can’t be trusted to come back if it’s off the leash, but just walking down the street there’s absolutely no need for it.

Lots of cities/areas don't allow off-leash dogs except in an enclosed dog-park, so yeah if your dog wants to run around it's sometimes your only option. It's a little awkward but I carry an extra leash, a rope one for walking, and an extending one for while we're at the park.

The flat ribbon kind are better as you can grab them in an emergency without instantly slicing you fingers. A short bungie extension is good too, to absorb the shock when you hit the end of the reel. You have to keep an eye on them for fraying or they will break when you least expect it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I just bought a retracto leash because my Uncle's yard isn't completley fenced in, so just needed to tap the ratchet when he got too close to the brush.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hobnob posted:

Poor pupper. I hope he gets better soon.

Me too, and thanks. He hasn't taken to the cone very well, he completely shuts down. That's better than the alternative of him having access to all his paws. We try to take it off so he can go relieve himself but even that isn't working this morning. He hasn't peed since yesterday evening and his last poop was probably 24 hours ago. It's extremely stressful since he's usually like clockwork.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AndyElusive posted:

Me too, and thanks. He hasn't taken to the cone very well, he completely shuts down. That's better than the alternative of him having access to all his paws. We try to take it off so he can go relieve himself but even that isn't working this morning. He hasn't peed since yesterday evening and his last poop was probably 24 hours ago. It's extremely stressful since he's usually like clockwork.

Is he still eating? Treats?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Yes, we can stick a treat or a handfull/bowl of kibble infront of his face and he'll gobble it up.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
While Gavin is taking to clicker training pretty well already, we noticed he seems to have a really strong recall instinct (like my daughter will say come from 20 yards away and he'll go running to her from a sit) so we thought we'd like to specially train that. We've gotten a 100' leash and a dog whistle.

Does anyone have any good protocol for training a dog whistle recall? I'm guessing it is just something like these steps (a bunch of times for each step):

1. Whistle-> treat indoors
2. Wait for dog to not be looking, whistle -> treat for look
3. Go in another room, whistle -> treat for coming
4. Do outside recall with whistle at increasingly longer distances.

Does that seem about right? Never used a dog whistle before. Should I click for steps 2-4 when they do the right thing or just treat and the whistle functions as the click?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Chin Strap posted:

While Gavin is taking to clicker training pretty well already, we noticed he seems to have a really strong recall instinct (like my daughter will say come from 20 yards away and he'll go running to her from a sit)

I don't have any advice on this, just wanted to say how jealous I am.

I've always had well-trained dogs that could do dozens of tricks, knew the names of people and items, and could learn virtually any simple sequence of tasks. But despite extensive work, watching videos, reading articles and books, and even hiring a professional trainer, I've never gotten any of my dogs to learn recall worth a drat.

They'd all come when called indoors, but once outside the humans may as well not exist.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

WhiteHowler posted:

They'd all come when called indoors, but once outside the humans may as well not exist.

We definitely still have some distraction issues sometimes but for a 6 month old that presumably was untrained from the shelter and for us only having had him 3 weeks, he has upped his attention span remarkably rapidly.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I’ve got my dog trained to come back with a whistle! She’s like 90% reliable outdoors (we’re still working on it). I started with her being in the room with me and whistling, and holding out a treat for peeking up. She doesn’t get it until she walks to me. She got the association pretty fast! Now I can summon her from other rooms in the house for a treat, too.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

fast cat

an egg fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 7, 2023

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It has been raining all weekend and if I didn’t do something with Scout I was going to be forced to turn her into a fancy rug so she got to run errands with me. Halloween decorations were out at Lowes so I taught her how to push their buttons real quick to the delight of the other shoppers and employees. She conned so many people out of treats.

https://youtu.be/9mWpKsoQDl0

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Instant Jellyfish posted:

It has been raining all weekend and if I didn’t do something with Scout I was going to be forced to turn her into a fancy rug so she got to run errands with me. Halloween decorations were out at Lowes so I taught her how to push their buttons real quick to the delight of the other shoppers and employees. She conned so many people out of treats.

she is so good

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

:3:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

good dog :kimchi:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Oh my gosh what a good girl

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Holly has started barking.

Mainly because a neighbours two dogs have been separation anxiety barking and howling so loudly and for so long we can hear it inside and it upsets Holly.

... Which means she now barks at things she didn't previously. :mad:

Anyway, if anyone has book recommendations for training dogs out of self-reinforcing/self-propagating behaviour such as this, let me know! I know management is key, so we try to play white noise during the day as well as training her in the relaxation protocol from puppy school, but what's happening is a lot of her triggers are happening all at once and it becomes incredibly difficult to manage.

I think we're slowly getting on top of it, but currently I'm thinking wildly unkind thoughts toward the owners of the two anxiety barking dogs.

What a good girl!

Holly and I went to a friend's house recently and they're trying to teach their dog to use a similar button to communicate he needs to be fed and so on. Holly proceeded to press one of them, then picked it up and ran around while the button yelled out "treat, treat, treat, treat, treat". :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

froglet posted:

Holly has started barking.

Mainly because a neighbours two dogs have been separation anxiety barking and howling so loudly and for so long we can hear it inside and it upsets Holly.

... Which means she now barks at things she didn't previously. :mad:

Anyway, if anyone has book recommendations for training dogs out of self-reinforcing/self-propagating behaviour such as this, let me know! I know management is key, so we try to play white noise during the day as well as training her in the relaxation protocol from puppy school, but what's happening is a lot of her triggers are happening all at once and it becomes incredibly difficult to manage.

I don't know any books but there's a barking webinar on Fenzi, Amy Cook is supposed to have good classes: https://www.fenzidogsportsacademy.com/index.php/courses/29542

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
How do you induce the "stay" behavior I don't remember how I did this last time. I try "sit" and then pause and give him an additional treat the longer he stays on "sit" without further prompts. He'll stay on "sit" as long as I'm standing next to him, the moment I back away he follows me.

Been working on the "come" command for a week in different contexts. Today I wanted to start working on "come" while off-leash on the trail. Naturally I ran into a series of joggers he tried to chase, an entire elementary school class, and then a coyote that might have been stalking the elementary schoolers. The coyote was bigger than my dog and immediately took an interest in him. Stalked us from 50 feet back all the way to the trailhead. Better us than the kids I guess, but so much for off-leash walking today. :ohdear:

Dog was very good though. I've learned that if I cheer him on when he starts coming towards me then he wont get distracted. If he does get distracted then I turn around and ignore him or start walking in the other direction if I have to. He seems to think it's all a game though. I might start going higher in the mountains where there's less people, I'm not worried about coyotes so much as people on horses. Horses and self-driving teslas are the real threats to any off-leash dog. He'll be bigger than that silly coyote soon enough.

Thinking about calling him Monty/Montezuma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sanctum posted:

How do you induce the "stay" behavior I don't remember how I did this last time. I try "sit" and then pause and give him an additional treat the longer he stays on "sit" without further prompts. He'll stay on "sit" as long as I'm standing next to him, the moment I back away he follows me.

I had good success following the video guide here (halfway down the page with the chonky bulldog)
https://www.thesprucepets.com/steps-to-train-your-dog-1118273#toc-basic-commands-and-fun-tricks

My experience training this dog has been introducing a new behavior, him not getting it at all and being completely unsuccessful in every attempt, and then like 2 days later nailing it on every try. Something clicks in his brain while sleeping, I guess. Either that or he's been reading a textbook without me knowing