Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
North America is currently completely out of royal family members.

Meghan Markle and Harry have left to go back to England.

The Queen is reportedly dying and BBC has suspended all normal broadcasting until 6 pm to be ready to give updates.

https://twitter.com/YWNReporter/status/1567857030714515456

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
steve bannon has surrendered to authorities in NY over charges related to his border wall fundraiser:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-adviser-steve-bannon-surrenders-authorities-charges-border/story?id=89481014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Technically I think the charges are still sealed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

North America is currently completely out of royal family members.

Meghan Markle and Harry have left to go back to England.

The Queen is reportedly dying and BBC has suspended all normal broadcasting until 6 pm to be ready to give updates.

https://twitter.com/YWNReporter/status/1567857030714515456

Someone keep an eye on the photographer.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

smackfu posted:

Technically I think the charges are still sealed.

They are.

It's going to be interesting to see what they are going with.

The federal charges carried up to 20 years in prison. I'm not sure what NY is charging him with, but it likely won't carry as long of a potential sentence.

He's also pretty obviously guilty unless he can find some way to pin all of it on someone else in the org and claim he had literally no idea what was going on because he was just a pretty face to front the organziation.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Someone keep an eye on the photographer.

Is that a King Ralph reference?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

If the charges against Bannon aren't unsealed by 1 pm, then they will probably announce them at the press conference they just scheduled.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1567870454836101120

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

He's also pretty obviously guilty unless he can find some way to pin all of it on someone else in the org and claim he had literally no idea what was going on because he was just a pretty face to front the organziation.

such an obvious lead-in I don't even want to give it the effort.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

If the charges against Bannon aren't unsealed by 1 pm, then they will probably announce them at the press conference they just scheduled.

With a name like that, how long can the DA keep those charges sealed?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Are there double jeopardy concerns with pardons?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Federal pardons mean jack poo poo to state charges is my understanding

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

smackfu posted:

Are there double jeopardy concerns with pardons?

No. Federal charges are totally separate legally from state charges.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dick Durbin says that they having hearings for an immigration reform bill on September 14th.

It's expected to be a very limited bill focusing on DREAMers and making it easier/faster for people in the healthcare field to immigrate and become citizens.

Even with that limited scope, I wouldn't expect it to go anywhere.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Unless they make a big announcement, then these are the only remaining "major" bills that will be brought up before the election:

- Codifying gay marriage.

- Immigration reform bill.

- Continuing Resolution to keep the government funded with an additional supplemental funding bill for Covid, Monkeypox, Ukraine aid, and new baseline funding for the NIH, CDC, and FDA as part of the cancer moonshot program. (Covid and Monkeypox funding expected to die as 0 Republicans say they support. Ukraine and Cancer money may survive.)

- A vote on the $35 insulin cap for private insurance plans that was stripped out of the IRA. (Seven Republicans voted for it before, but not clear if three more are willing to support this time)

- An anti-trust reform bill sponsored by Chuck Grassley and Amy Klobuchar (this is widely expected to die and may be pushed until the lame duck to save time).

- The bipartisan Electoral Count Act reform bill (widely expected to pass, but may get pushed to lame duck to save time).

Other than that, Schumer says the Senate is focusing almost exclusively on confirming Judges before the next Congress is seated.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bannon just pled to his charges in NY, so they are public now.

He pled not guilty to wire fraud conspiracy and conspiracy to commit money laundering.

There will probably be tweets/articles up soon.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Morrow posted:

Yeah it's my big hesitation. I have a dedicated parking space with my apartment but no EV charger accessible. The parking space itself is also in an adjacent lot so I can't reasonably run a cable from the apartment to it.

I don't think there's anything like a solution for people who do not own homes with detached and wired up garages yet, or at least not outlined in a way beyond just letting the market figure it out aka leaving it up to the benevolence of landlords. I keep going back to it because it's a good test of how likely any proposal is to work since there's basically no political costs associated with ignoring renters or just assuming people will steal sidewalks from the community by running cords from their homes to the cars over them, and there definitely is for making it even more expensive to factor these things in despite it being clearly necessary.

I suspect that at home charging may evaporate as the sun rises on the new methods to keep the personal automobile supreme in a world that is making it harder to justify them, personally, like how early car enthusiasts probably imagined things other than gas stations on every corner. I also wonder if our grid can handle most of the energy currently provided by hydrocarbons shifting instead to electricity.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Epic High Five posted:

I also wonder if our grid can handle most of the energy currently provided by hydrocarbons shifting instead to electricity.

I think it'll be fine, given that EVs generally trickle-charge at night when the baseload electricity demand is low. Obviously here in California the grid is having, uh, issues with peak load this week, but even with extremely high minimum temperatures this week the load at 4AM is on par with what we see in February.

Big challenge is getting the hell away from natural gas, but that's of course a global problem.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

I think it'll be fine, given that EVs generally trickle-charge at night when the baseload electricity demand is low. Obviously here in California the grid is having, uh, issues with peak load this week, but even with extremely high minimum temperatures this week the load at 4AM is on par with what we see in February.

Big challenge is getting the hell away from natural gas, but that's of course a global problem.

Well it's trickle charging overnight right now, but it won't be if you replace ICE vehicles entirely which will necessarily include everybody who hasn't been able to opt-in to the current arrangement and need things like prime time charging and cannot charge at home, or the increasingly common situation where their car IS their home.

Where all those extra electrons come from is a whole different looming shitstorm imho

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I hear ya. I live an apartment and the sun will swallow the earth before they put chargers in here, so I drive a fuel cell vehicle :shrug:

That poo poo's gonna have to be mandated out, which means it's only going to happen on the coast if we're lucky, and like Colorado. Sucks.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
One optimistic solution I've read is having standardized batteries that are pre-charged at the Gas Station Of The Future, and instead of filling your ICE tank with dead dinosaurs you swap for a charged battery.

A very optimistic outlook admittedly but seems to be a better solution than hoping the free market of landlords does anything besides tell renters "lol gently caress you".

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

bird food bathtub posted:

One optimistic solution I've read is having standardized batteries that are pre-charged at the Gas Station Of The Future, and instead of filling your ICE tank with dead dinosaurs you swap for a charged battery.

A very optimistic outlook admittedly but seems to be a better solution than hoping the free market of landlords does anything besides tell renters "lol gently caress you".

That'd probably be closer to the ideal, something akin to Taiwan's scooter charging stations, at least for the densest cities which should be doing all it can over the years to get cars out of them as is.

https://electrek.co/2022/01/12/taiwan-soon-to-have-more-gogoro-electric-scooter-battery-swap-stations-than-gas-stations/

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm completely ignorant about "fueling" up an EV, but I have a basic question for something like this:
Would you try to drain the car all the way before coming in for a battery swap? You would lose out on that last bit of charge/milage unless they somehow compensate you for the difference.
How much daily drain do these car batteries go through without being on, by the way? 1-2% or something more? Like, if you don't drive for a few days are you still losing fuel?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

JazzFlight posted:

I'm completely ignorant about "fueling" up an EV, but I have a basic question for something like this:
Would you try to drain the car all the way before coming in for a battery swap? You would lose out on that last bit of charge/milage unless they somehow compensate you for the difference.
How much daily drain do these car batteries go through without being on, by the way? 1-2% or something more? Like, if you don't drive for a few days are you still losing fuel?

They do lose charge when not in use, but it is a tiny amount. It is essentially 0% over a few days.

But, if you leave it unused for 4-6 months, then it can completely lose charge.

You would only need to swap the battery once every 10-17 years (depending on how many miles you average). Driving it until it is empty before the swap won't make much of a difference. It would save you about $6.

Edit: The one thing that can change this is if it is stored somewhere where it is constantly in extreme temperatures. EV batteries drop in efficiency if you they are kept at temperatures above 122 degrees or below 5 degrees constantly for long periods of time.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 8, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

- A vote on the $35 insulin cap for private insurance plans that was stripped out of the IRA. (Seven Republicans voted for it before, but not clear if three more are willing to support this time)

I really hope this passes but all medications necessary for someone to literally stay alive should be capped at 0 dollars. Frankly any meds that aren't elective should be capped at 0 dollars as well, but baby steps. We need Universal Healthcare of some kind yesterday and I'm just kinda getting sick of all these fuckin band-aids on the gaping bullet holes in our healthcare system.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

JazzFlight posted:

They could credit you for charge remaining in the battery after the swap, if this is a major issue.

The biggest problem with EV charging is that it takes significantly more time than gassing up- tens of minutes even on the highest capacity superchargers. You can't just grab charge on impulse between other errands the way you can with gas, usage patterns will have to change. Battery swapping is an attempt to get around this, but it's still probably going to be different from pulling up to a pump, removing and reinstalling a battery pack is major car surgery so at the very least you will probably have to stand clear for a while.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I'm hopeful we'd embrace alternative transportation besides cars, like robust public transportation. Imagine an LA where most people take the trolley and you don't need a EV to get around.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tibalt posted:

I'm hopeful we'd embrace alternative transportation besides cars, like robust public transportation. Imagine an LA where most people take the trolley and you don't need a EV to get around.

Some places absolutely should do that. But, a lot of people aren't going to live in dense enough places either out of personal preference or necessity.

Even in countries with stronger public transportation and denser populations, the vast majority of people still have a car they use. The average European country only has a car ownership rate about 10% lower than the U.S.

Korea and Japan are only about 8% lower than the U.S.

There's just a lot of situations where individual travel is the only reasonable way to get there and strong public transportation systems are still going to be supplemented by cars in various ways (Park and Rides, rentals, transport to low density areas, etc.)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think hot swapping batteries is the only real model that could work barring a huge change in battery technology (that really can't come soon enough as things of stuff have this bottleneck right now), and it's going to require a lot of government muscle to make happen because of the standardization that will be required. I think a big hangup is searching for an efficient or sensible solution, which is never going to happen because what's being reformed is by nature incredibly inefficient, proudly so even. If you want efficiency you discourage car use period and provide alternatives, if you want to replace ICE with EVs you're going to have to spend big on big stupid systems because ultimately you're attempting to preserve a big stupid system. I'm mostly just hoping for a solution that isn't just a further enclosure on the commons by the automobile.

Tibalt posted:

Yes yes, we've all seen famous utopian drama Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm all for removing private cars and public transit and etc in a vacuum but given this is America I'm a little worried it will be

•all private cars are illegal, you must take the bus
•by some amazing coincidence, the state government of wherever forgot to run a bus to the poor and minority sections of town
•uhh learn2code i guess lol

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm all for removing private cars and public transit and etc in a vacuum but given this is America I'm a little worried it will be

•all private cars are illegal, you must take the bus
•by some amazing coincidence, the state government of wherever forgot to run a bus to the poor and minority sections of town
•uhh learn2code i guess lol

Step 2, even in California, would likely be "angry voters vote the idiots who did step 1 out of office and vote in someone saying 'ok ok fine, you can have your cars, sheesh' ".

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
LA has some moderate EV adoption and I'm already seeing streetside public chargers and charging lots(there's one right off the 101 exit in Pasadena).

I mean, I'd say if you live in an urban area with street parking only the answer should be "don't own a car" but this is America so that's not realistic.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

LA has some moderate EV adoption and I'm already seeing streetside public chargers and charging lots(there's one right off the 101 exit in Pasadena).

I mean, I'd say if you live in an urban area with street parking only the answer should be "don't own a car" but this is America so that's not realistic.

My only real issue with streetside charging is that it tends to be built such that it takes public space from non-drivers, both in its official and ad hoc implementations. How is it handled from what you're seeing?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
oh neat so hotswapping batteries is thing that actually maybe theoretically possible and not just my dumb gamer brain wanting real life to be like games??

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

PhazonLink posted:

oh neat so hotswapping batteries is thing that actually maybe theoretically possible and not just my dumb gamer brain wanting real life to be like games??

Theoretically, but with cars they get huge and heavy quick, weighing upwards of 450kg (~1000lbs) You can hot swap from a scooter sized battery no problem per that Taiwan article, but a car sized one would require a station to handle.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Kalli posted:

Theoretically, but with cars they get huge and heavy quick, weighing upwards of 450kg (~1000lbs) You can hot swap from a scooter sized battery no problem per that Taiwan article, but a car sized one would require a station to handle.

It's still hotswapping if a machine does the transfer

And even if it were light enough to do it by hand, the fact that each battery costs thousands of dollars means you need a ton of infrastructure anyway, to ensure security of your hundreds-of-thousands of dollars capital investment, as the station owner

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

I'm no electricity guy but yeah, it seems like most of the problems will arise from scale - lots of cars around if we are preserving current norms, and the batteries are very large and heavy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it's an engineering and logistics problem. We know swappable batteries is a fundamentally sound concept, we've done it in personal electronics for decades (until Apple and friends decided we'd rather have slimmer cases and more endurance than swappable batteries). The problem is that an EV battery is far too large for the owner to do it by hand, so it has to be some kind of machine that operates on cars that conform to an industry standard, and neither the machine nor the standard nor the compliant cars exists yet.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

The NIO car company in China already has a network of battery swapping stations across the country. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIO_(car_company)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

They better hurry up or they are going to be completely drowned in dead queen coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Epic High Five posted:

My only real issue with streetside charging is that it tends to be built such that it takes public space from non-drivers, both in its official and ad hoc implementations. How is it handled from what you're seeing?

It sits on the pole, and just takes up what would normally be a parking space. There's no parking fee while using one if it was a metered space.

There is a fee however to use these, like $1 an hour. There's a couple of hundred in LA.

Legally, LA also requires landlords to install charging in apartment parking if requested, and new builds must have at least 10% of parking be EV charging.

CA has also allowed for separate residential metering of vehicle charging so they can incentivize that.