Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

EvilHawk posted:

Charles becomes king the moment the Queen is declared dead, despite not being crowned

quote:

The only thing known to go faster than ordinary light is monarchy, according to the philosopher Ly Tin Wheedle. He reasoned like this: you can't have more than one king, and tradition demands that there is no gap between kings, so when a king dies the succession must therefore pass to the heir instantaneously. Presumably, he said, there must be some elementary particles -- kingons, or possibly queons -- that do this job, but of course succession sometimes fails if, in mid-flight, they strike an anti-particle, or republicon. His ambitious plans to use his discovery to send messages, involving the careful torturing of a small king in order to modulate the signal, were never fully expanded because, at that point, the bar closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.
I wish to complain about this queen what I purchased not 94 years ago from this very boutique.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Huw Edwards has left and the new guy isn't wearing a black tie, she's gonna drag this poo poo out

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Oh yeah I don't doubt that NI has a lot of people who are emotional about the queen.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

God, I miss Pratchett.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

EvilHawk posted:

Charles becomes king the moment the Queen is declared dead, despite not being crowned

imagine I posted a gif of the scene in the dark crystal where the old emperor is moments from death and his successor leans in to nab the staff and the old emp. starts yelling 'no it's mine!' and then crumbles into dust

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

keep punching joe posted:

Oh yeah I don't doubt that NI has a lot of people who are emotional about the queen.

Outpouring emotions, inpouring Guinness.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
https://twitter.com/mr_jwf_/status/1567865422829043712?t=3loeb5NQI8JxZnqFKf0vxQ&s=19

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
it is very on brand for the thread for someone to post something that can be somewhat related to a discworld quote and three of us bonking each other square on the head as we all run to press the "post about terry pratchett" button

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

holy poo poo https://twitter.com/Women4Wes/status/1567900374886907904

because it will absolutely be deleted:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cimber posted:

If the queen dies, who gives royal assent? Charles, even if he's not yet been officially crowned?

As the saying goes, "The Queen is dead, long live the King"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cimber posted:

If the queen dies, who gives royal assent? Charles, even if he's not yet been officially crowned?
Penny Mordaunt.

Royal Assent hasn't been by the direct signature of the king or queen since at least the 19th century, it's the prerogative of the Lord President of the Council, who gets that power from the Crown regardless of whether there's a meat person to wear it.

That's currently Penny Mordaunt, so she signs the bill into law.

This is why I don't buy in the slightest all the arguments about how 'hard' it would be to transition to a republic. Everything's already there, just call the Crown something else and stop looking to members of a specific family to wear it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

EvilHawk posted:

As has been previously discussed ITT.
Monarchy moves faster than the speed of light.
(Beaten by quite a lot of others!)

Also "long live the King" is an example of use of the subjunctive in English grammar. Those of you with toddlers at play school can use it as a teaching example (seeing as toddlers now expected to know more English grammar than university lecturers in the subject these days!)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Can't believe they'd be allowed to pollute the source of the water for like 70% of Scotland's whisky distilleries.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Speaking of which....

(Guardian article on the plans for the Queen's death, if you're playing the home game.) https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

The slick plan outlined in this article actually appears to be the BBC doing an endless broadcast of some gates in the rain and going "something might happen we think... dunno though"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Outpouring emotions, inpouring Guinness.

NI will save the UK going into recession due to the amount of increased drink and party food bought over the next month.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

happyhippy posted:

'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.
I wish to complain about this queen what I purchased not 94 years ago from this very boutique.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Penny Mordaunt.

Royal Assent hasn't been by the direct signature of the king or queen since at least the 19th century, it's the prerogative of the Lord President of the Council, who gets that power from the Crown regardless of whether there's a meat person to wear it.

That's currently Penny Mordaunt, so she signs the bill into law.

This is why I don't buy in the slightest all the arguments about how 'hard' it would be to transition to a republic. Everything's already there, just call the Crown something else and stop looking to members of a specific family to wear it.

I think I have previously suggested that the object of the Crown is a device that slowly converts monarchs into legislation via putting them through the hole in the middle, which is why the queen got shorter over time.

Thus if we construct a monarchy accelerator and launch the entire family through the Crown we should be able to legislate powerfully enough to change reality itself.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
poo poo is going down they've stopped BBC dude's teleprompter

(she's already dead, I mean the announcement)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Can't believe they'd be allowed to pollute the source of the water for like 70% of Scotland's whisky distilleries.

I'd drink whiskey brewed from Queen-water. Somewhere between drinking the tequila with a worm in it, and gamer girl bathwater.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

What colour smoke signal do they send from Buckingham when she croaks?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'd drink whiskey brewed from Queen-water. Somewhere between drinking the tequila with a worm in it, and gamer girl bathwater.

Nelson is surely the best comparison.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Nenonen posted:

What colour smoke signal do they send from Buckingham when she croaks?

I believe it's a sickly green skull shape

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Take a shot of Liz Rot jus to double piss on her grave with her own remains.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
SO who is going to make the "Queen Dead So What" gang tag?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

G-Spot Run posted:

poo poo is going down they've stopped BBC dude's teleprompter

(she's already dead, I mean the announcement)

I guess they're at least going to wait until Harry is at Balmoral too? Presumably before the news at ten though.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Numerous DUP members dying from acute "blue ball" syndrome.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I love it how searching for 'King Charles' gives just information about cavaliers :smugdog:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Love that they have no idea if Harry is there or not.
'He's on the plane' - well no he wasn't unless they waited til the cameras were out of the way to offload him.
'He's flying in from Germany' well apparently not there til later in the week.
'Well there are several entrances to Balmoral maybe he came in a different gate to stay low key'.

And just making up poo poo about what's wrong with her cancer, something going on we don't know about, had a fall - you know you're old when you no longer 'fall over' but 'have a fall' - accompanied by wrinkly nosed knowing head nod by person reporting the had fall. FFS she's 96!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought he was supposedly taking a different regnal name precisely because charles is a slightly... inauspicious name for a monarch.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Nenonen posted:

I love it how searching for 'King Charles' gives just information about cavaliers :smugdog:

probably a little bit less inbred than the guy too and that's saying something

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

EvilHawk posted:

Huw Edwards has left and the new guy isn't wearing a black tie, she's gonna drag this poo poo out

Very very very dark blue?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I thought he was supposedly taking a different regnal name precisely because charles is a slightly... inauspicious name for a monarch.

Chuckie

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

They're allowed to take whatever name they want for whatever reason. If you didn't want to be like...King Henry the 49th part deux you can swap out for a first or second of whatever.

Kinda like Popes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bloody woke monarchy changing their names all the time.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

If Charles has any smarts in him then he'll assume a name that instills feelings of nostalgy and continuity in subjects.

All hail HRH king Elizabeth III

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/anarchonbury/status/1567902692995117058

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Bloody woke monarchy changing their names all the time.

They'll always be Saxe-Coburg Gotha to me. :magical: