Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Commander Keene posted:

Just wanted to make sure that 45W would power the Deck and a hub and still allow for fast charging on the Deck. I know you and another poster were having a debate a few pages back over whether 100W was complete overkill vs. 60/65W IIRC, but I wanted to make sure 45 was OK.

Yes 45W is the most it can take (15V * 3A)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

holy poo poo Metroid Prime Trilogy with Primehack is amazing on the Deck. Is there any other custom emulators that really transform a game to be absolutely perfect on the machine?

Is there a guide anywhere for getting this set up? Would love to play it but I got intimidated when I tried to do it myself.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

quiggy posted:

Is there a guide anywhere for getting this set up? Would love to play it but I got intimidated when I tried to do it myself.

it's unbelievably easy, you just go into desktop mdoe, install emudeck from the discover store and then drop a metroid prime trilogy ISO that you have legally ripped from your legal copy of the game into the folder marked "Primehack" that will be inside home/deck/emulation/roms/primehack
Then you run the Steam Rom manager from your deck desktop, press Preview up the top and let it find the game. Save app list and then the game will be there for you in the Non Steam games section.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Goons Are Great posted:

Can someone explain me why the wifi connection sometimes is really unstable?

I heard the WiFi power saving feature (in the Developer area of Settings) is a little buggy. I turned mine off and it's more stable (I had to turn mine off anyway to get Ethernet to work).

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mooktastical posted:

I installed Clone Hero on mine. Strumming for my kid while he plonked his way through Iron Man/Easy was actually really rewarding. I brought it over to a friend's house, too. A good time was had by all. I need to install more songs.

So I really want to pick up a guitar peripheral or two - is there a consensus among the Clone Hero community as to which one to buy? I'd also like to get my hands on some DDR controllers...

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

So what are you guys playing on this thing? Still Vampire Survivors?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

vampire survivors, metroid dread/prime

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Heran Bago posted:

Currently I'm playing Guild Wars 1 and 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Pathfinder depending on my level of sobriety. I'm thinking about getting into a shooter next and the recent spat of doomchat made me think Eternal might be a good pick-up, but 2016 is a really good game and I already own it. Destiny 2 would be perfect, but, well.

I'm surprised that TF2 kinda doesn't work well with the Deck. The default configuration is hosed; B button opens the daily missions menu?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Destiny 2 is great on this thing. Embrace the dual boot life.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Dark Cloud and Yakuza 0

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dark Cloud loving rules, I might pop that on the ol' excel doc

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It honestly looks like the perfect fit.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Heran Bago posted:

At the moment, it's either Fae Tactics when I want turn-based or Deathsmiles for some shmup goodness. And well, always some Tetris Effect here and there because Tetris rules and this is a fantastic implementation of it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

how easy is it to set up the controls on that?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

how easy is it to set up the controls on that?

Steam (on Windows) works as good in terms of controls as they do on SteamOS. They work (even back buttons) out of the box. The issue in terms of controls on Windows is for anything NOT in Steam.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Doesn't Windows require like 30GB of storage space nowadays?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

jokes posted:

Dark Cloud loving rules, I might pop that on the ol' excel doc

It honestly looks like the perfect fit.

Dark Cloud 2 is a good old time and something about the form factor made it easier to get in and out. The first is much more raw in both good and bad ways, so I would like to get around to it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

snowboard kids 2

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Heran Bago posted:

streets of rage 4 and into the breach

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

jokes posted:

Doesn't Windows require like 30GB of storage space nowadays?

I split the 256gb internal drive 50/50 and reformatted the SD to a format that both Windows and SteamOS can read/use. This has covered my use pretty well. I have Destiny 2 installed on the SD card and aside from a generous initial load time the game runs real good and looks great as long as you’re not expecting max quality.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

Stardew. I’m finally gonna go for the perfection achievement and get the optional bonus ending at the summit.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Heran Bago posted:

Spiritfarer, currently. Next game will probably be when Tactics Ogre releases.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Heran Bago posted:

Dark Cloud 2 is a good old time and something about the form factor made it easier to get in and out. The first is much more raw in both good and bad ways, so I would like to get around to it.

I didn't level a ranged character up on that one boss and got totally hosed. I think it was a moon boss?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Enderal runs pretty well on it. I don’t know why it broke before but uninstalling and reinstalling Skyrim and Enderal seemed to fix it. Maybe it really didn’t like me putting it in sleep mode because it froze when coming back up and never ran again.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
I've been steadily playing Disco Elysium and Fallout 4. Having that 'pick up where you left off' and the ssd save speed is still quite the novelty for me.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I split the 256gb internal drive 50/50 and reformatted the SD to a format that both Windows and SteamOS can read/use. This has covered my use pretty well. I have Destiny 2 installed on the SD card and aside from a generous initial load time the game runs real good and looks great as long as you’re not expecting max quality.
That's awesome and really cool to hear. Not being sarcastic or glib here.

jokes posted:

I didn't level a ranged character up on that one boss and got totally hosed. I think it was a moon boss?

Sounds like the first. Moon stuff what with guys that look like black mages. You can't gently caress yourself over as badly in 2.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dead Cells is very addicting.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I've been really tempted. Good to hear the initial driver problems have shaken out. Maybe this weekend.

The shared Windows/SteamOS setup on the SD is particularly neat.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

been enjoying mad max. I like it a lot for clearing map objectives in open world games while I half watch youtube videos on my tv.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It’s so good that I can’t believe Nintendo still haven’t bothered to do it on switch.

Apparently Nintendo has at least a Switch version of Prime 1 finished and ready to launch, for whatever time they think would be 'right' for it. Probably in the lead up to Prime 4 coming out.

It's probably a small enough project and Nintendo makes enough money that they can sit on it for however long they want. They delayed that remake of Advance Wars 1 & 2 at the last moment when the war in Ukraine broke out, that still doesn't have a new date and it probably cost more to make than a port of Prime 1, assuming they didn't do that much to the game.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

quiggy posted:

I assume the EmuDeck scripts come with a control profile. If not (or if you install PrimeHack manually) you'll want to use the Gamepad with Mouse Trackpad template with left- and right-clicks assigned to the trackpads. Then configure the controls in PrimeHack to something sensible. I use R2:Shoot, R1:Missles, L2:Lock-on, L1:Morph Ball, A (aliased to back grips):Jump, X:Grapple Lasso, B:Spring Ball, Y:Emulator Pause/Save States, Left-click:Beam menu, Right-click:Visor menu. You can also assign the D-Pad to beams/visors if you prefer the GC style controls for these. Remember to use "... + D-Left" (escape) to stop the emulator.

If you right-click on the Dolphin/PrimeHack control boxes it brings up a dialog that lets you do some pretty custom stuff too, so you can do things like switch beams with D-Pad but only when the trackpad is pressed, and switch visors with D-Pad when the trackpad is not pressed. I used this to setup a set of key combos for save-states: Y+R1+L-stick direction for save, Y+L1+L-stick for loads.

Regarding performance, with the defaults PrimeHack will run MP1 near 60 fps but will drop to 40-50 fps when in open areas like the Tallon Landing Site. If you disable the "Synchronize GPU thread" option under game-specific settings (right-click on Metroid Prime: Trilogy) then it's pretty much a locked 60. The only problem is that you need to actually play the game for a few minutes (watch the opening cinematic, wait until HUD shows up) to warm the shader cache before changing this setting, otherwise the emulated GPU gets so lagged if you turn it on right away that PrimeHack crashes. Once you get it running the first time though it shouldn't be a problem thereafter. It's been working fine for me for the few hours I've managed to play through MP1.

Regarding graphics, Dolphin/PrimeHack is CPU bound, specifically it requires high per-thread performance. The Deck's GPU is farily underutilized though so you can turn on the graphics enhancements a good bit. I use 2x Native resolution, 4x MSAA anti-aliasing, and 4x antisotrophic filtering, and I set FSR scaling in the Deck's performance overlay. I also found it's better to use the "auto-adjust window size" option instead of enabling full-screen. They look the same in gamescope, but I found that if a dialog-box pops up it screws with full-screen.

Edit: Oh, if EmuDeck doesn't do it automatically for you, you'll need to set the audio backend to Cubeb--or something. By default it's nothing and there's no audio.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 8, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Why play games on the Deck when you can sniff the vent and get high.

You need the games to heat up the deck :eng101:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Veotax posted:

Apparently Nintendo has at least a Switch version of Prime 1 finished and ready to launch, for whatever time they think would be 'right' for it. Probably in the lead up to Prime 4 coming out.
MPT on the Deck is such a good experience that the remaster has a high bar to clear to actually beat it. Not that they're exactly in competition with each other.

At minimum the remaster has to add gyro aiming, and even then trackpad aiming with PrimeHack will probably still beat it. Graphically the Prime games all look great with rendering enhancements enabled. The only real issue is that the textures are pretty low-res. Particularly anytime you go through a transport and it shows the close-up of Samus her suit looks very blocky.

And yes, I can't imagine they're actually going to change much with the remaster aside from controls, rendering, and maybe HD textures. Prime was a genre-defining title and got a lot right out of the gate. Anything more they do to it is likely to detract from the experience.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tamba posted:

You need the games to heat up the deck :eng101:

Gotta wait 15m for Vampire Survivors to start Cranking Up The Juice

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Actually can you do gyro aiming in Primehack?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Veotax posted:

It's probably a small enough project and Nintendo makes enough money that they can sit on it for however long they want. They delayed that remake of Advance Wars 1 & 2 at the last moment when the war in Ukraine broke out, that still doesn't have a new date and it probably cost more to make than a port of Prime 1, assuming they didn't do that much to the game.

It's pretty sad community modders often do a better job updating many of these games than Nintendo does.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

just fired up alpha protocol and it booted right up. had to manually bring up the cursor and select gamepad from the settings, but after that this game, which has been delisted for years, ran flawlessly.
no idea what all those needs hollering about flatpacks are talking about, but this thing is magic.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Actually can you do gyro aiming in Primehack?
Yes, like any other game with Steam Input you can assign gyro "as mouse" and it'll use PrimeHack's mouse controls.

I guess you could also use the "as joystick" flavor and tell PrimeHack to use stick controls if you prefer that instead of the joystick mouse. To be honest I haven't noticed much difference between joystick native and "joystick mouse" look in games that support both.

All that said, the trackpad really is the best. It feels fantastic.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I have a key here for Tomb Raider 4 if anyone wants it N76Y4-KIH3D-LQZCB, marked as playable on deck don’t see why it wouldn’t be since it would have started with controller support

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Gay Retard posted:

It's pretty sad community modders often do a better job updating many of these games than Nintendo does.
This was the reason emulation became a thing in the first place in the 90s so it's been a battle going on for 25 years now.

Occasionally Nintendo gets it right, or close enough, but then they drop the ball. Like SM3DAS was generally fine, considering platform limitations (no analog FLUDD in Sunshine) but they delisted it for, reasons, and never followed up with a port of Galaxy 2.

Relatedly is there any real benefit to Zelda WW/TP HD compared to the Wii versions upscaled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Got my email for the 256gb deck! Didn't take too long honestly, I ordered it in late March.

Going to emulate everything.