Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

ImpAtom posted:

The problem is even if you like it now they have it scheduled for a rework

This is the biggest thing. They won't leave.it.alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Zeruel posted:

Read me like a loving book. gently caress that turtle!

yeah it's the only fish I don't have the minimum gathering for using 590 purple scrip gear. my theory is that it's an indicator of the minimum stats for the next series of big fish that get added. so if i'm right, at least you're already in a good place for the next patch.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have also only played Shb+ AST and also really like it overall right now. But I hear stories of really quirky and interesting time magic stuff in its history, like manipulating effect durations, and wish it would get more of that back. As stands Lightspeed is probably my favorite button so more please. I don't care if it wasn't balanced then, figure it out now 14 team and give AST a flavor injection.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kyrosiris posted:

Which is hilarious to me because AST is strong as gently caress right now, and 6.2 even added a concession towards the wrong expectation that you should always get three stickers every Astrodyne.

I dunno, I love current AST, but I've only played ShB and EW's and don't have nostalgia brainworms for bad card systems.

ShB was bad for two patches and ended up being Mediocre at best by the end.

EW ast is a good class now and doesn't feel like it just had all its interest bits stripped out to make room for nothing like the ShB so they should stop reworking it imo.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Lightspeed was cooler back when it was a utility action you could use for movement heavy phases and not a necessary crutch because you have to weave up to 12 OGCDs every 2 minute burst to play optimally.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

Lightspeed was cooler back when it was a utility action you could use for movement heavy phases and not a necessary crutch because you have to weave up to 12 OGCDs every 2 minute burst to play optimally.

Even in hw and stb this was true for ast.

It's the most double weaving class in the game and always has been lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/fittingxivsongs/status/1567928901208244230

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I dunno, astrologian’s emphasis on delayed heals does make it feel weaker compared to the other healers when you want to drop down heals immediately. It works well when things are going smoothly and you can plan for it, but when your party is full of newbies who have a tendency to walk into fire, it felt a lot less effective at being able to fix things compared to the other healers. This is just based off me queuing into roulette and getting an Ivalice run full of sprouts. Managed to pull through without ever wiping, but there were a lot of deaths throughout which I felt would have been easier to heal through on another healer.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Even in hw and stb this was true for ast.

It's the most double weaving class in the game and always has been lol

NIN with ogcd Mudras was probably more. Although that's more triple weave given the actions for Raiton.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Raiton wasn't much of a problem. You'd use Fuma over Raiton for a few reasons:
No clipping
Your passive slashing bonus buff
Slashing resistance debuff on the enemy

The last two made the total potency nearly the same.

Raiton was mostly used when you were pushed out of melee.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 8, 2022

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

beautiful...

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

finally got my f2p fat chocobo :hellyeah:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Jealous. How long did it take?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chillgamesh posted:

finally got my f2p fat chocobo :hellyeah:

It ate all the commendations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

SuperKlaus posted:

i got mine like 2 days ago as well. i started playing shortly after shb launched.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I want it so bad but even habitually tanking and healing dungeon roulette like I do it is just so slow to rack up commendations. It's basically the perfect mount, with bonus points for looking like a Phantasy Star rappy for purposes of a glam I'm doin.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Fat chocobo is animal abuse.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

SuperKlaus posted:

Awesome! posted:

i got mine like 2 days ago as well. i started playing shortly after shb launched.

This, pretty much. About 3 years, though I wasn't always playing daily. Recently I got a ton of commos from playing CC since the matches are short. Had a game today where all 4 people on my team commo'd me :blush:

KoB
May 1, 2009
please dont post fat chocobo they look happy but im a chocoologist and theyre actually in pain.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hunter Noventa posted:

Seeing as GNB was heavily inspired by Squall and Seifer, there could be other casters from older games that could inspire a new one, though off the top of my head the only thing that comes to mind would be taking inspiration from Terra and making something almost like a Reaper, but a caster. Except I don't enjoy the reaper gameplay either, too many buttons it feels like.

This post made me conceptualize a job that's basically Terra's Esper form, hovering in the air and casting spells from your bare hands, and now I want that really bad, even though I have no idea what the weapon for that would be.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Pigbuster posted:

This post made me conceptualize a job that's basically Terra's Esper form, hovering in the air and casting spells from your bare hands, and now I want that really bad, even though I have no idea what the weapon for that would be.

That's basically what I imagined as a possible route for Summoner to go down considering they're already going Trance, and fusing with a summon always felt like a plausible next step. Honestly would fit with their current playstyle moreso than old dot summoner, considering we're already tackling things with ifrit.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Allarion posted:

I dunno, astrologian’s emphasis on delayed heals does make it feel weaker compared to the other healers when you want to drop down heals immediately. It works well when things are going smoothly and you can plan for it, but when your party is full of newbies who have a tendency to walk into fire, it felt a lot less effective at being able to fix things compared to the other healers. This is just based off me queuing into roulette and getting an Ivalice run full of sprouts. Managed to pull through without ever wiping, but there were a lot of deaths throughout which I felt would have been easier to heal through on another healer.
I briefly experimented with AST for p5s - "healing two targets at once? synastry GET" - but I quickly realized that I was not remotely good enough at the game to realize the potential gains of AST and went back to WHM. AST is by far the least popular healer in p5s (there are 2x as many WHM clears of p5s on fflogs as AST clears) with slightly lower rDPS than the other three but they're neck and neck in popularity and rDPS with WHM for p8s clearers.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I really like the idea of a Green Mage someone proposed as a kind of backwards DNC/BRD, where instead of doing combos to buff your team, you do combos to weaken the boss/trash. Heck, give them a wax/wane mechanic of some kind where they want to line up the maximum level of weakness with raid buffs or whatever.

I also don't know what people don't like about DOT classes. A Viromancer would be a neat class to be "the one class that specializes in applying and blowing up DOTs. Thinking Operatives/Snipers in SWTOR who specialized in dots, where you apply your dots and have a burst window when both your long term and short term dots are all stacked that buffs your spammable attack. I often found myself going back to it because Apply Dots > Spread > Burst was a satisfying gameplay loop.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Warmachine posted:

I really like the idea of a Green Mage someone proposed as a kind of backwards DNC/BRD, where instead of doing combos to buff your team, you do combos to weaken the boss/trash. Heck, give them a wax/wane mechanic of some kind where they want to line up the maximum level of weakness with raid buffs or whatever.

I also don't know what people don't like about DOT classes. A Viromancer would be a neat class to be "the one class that specializes in applying and blowing up DOTs. Thinking Operatives/Snipers in SWTOR who specialized in dots, where you apply your dots and have a burst window when both your long term and short term dots are all stacked that buffs your spammable attack. I often found myself going back to it because Apply Dots > Spread > Burst was a satisfying gameplay loop.

Green mage being a weakener and DoT class would fit the 3 times we've see Green Magic in FF before.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gobbeldygook posted:

I briefly experimented with AST for p5s - "healing two targets at once? synastry GET" - but I quickly realized that I was not remotely good enough at the game to realize the potential gains of AST and went back to WHM. AST is by far the least popular healer in p5s (there are 2x as many WHM clears of p5s on fflogs as AST clears) with slightly lower rDPS than the other three but they're neck and neck in popularity and rDPS with WHM for p8s clearers.

WHM is the most popular job in the game by most measures so they're always way ahead of AST clears until you get to like the Ultimate level.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Allarion posted:

I dunno, astrologian’s emphasis on delayed heals does make it feel weaker compared to the other healers when you want to drop down heals immediately. It works well when things are going smoothly and you can plan for it, but when your party is full of newbies who have a tendency to walk into fire, it felt a lot less effective at being able to fix things compared to the other healers.

Yeah it's...supposed to be the more fiddly and complicated Pure Healer that gets exponentially easier as you learn the fights. It's the BLM to WHM's nuSMN.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

A weapon that consists entirely of different kinds of particle effects for your hands might be kind of neat, but I bet it'd be a bitch to actually do.

But like, fire hands, ice hands, lightning hands, swirling blade hands... I'd play that.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Sage is already a class where you're just waving your hands around

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

HackensackBackpack posted:

A weapon that consists entirely of different kinds of particle effects for your hands might be kind of neat, but I bet it'd be a bitch to actually do.

But like, fire hands, ice hands, lightning hands, swirling blade hands... I'd play that.

Just give them little batons are weird fancy gloves and it'll work

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

put in a mod that turns Shadowbringer into the DRK PvP LB...it's good

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is there a good way to engage at the start of CC? That's always a mess and I haven't found a good way other than "first person to get their nose out gets screwed, then kill the people who overextended to kill that guy."

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Bruceski posted:

Is there a good way to engage at the start of CC? That's always a mess and I haven't found a good way other than "first person to get their nose out gets screwed, then kill the people who overextended to kill that guy."

I’ve had some luck as a tank drawing people out, they’ve either got enough beef to poke and get people extending out or grabbing a dude with the warrior chain

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/FFXIV_Kelly/status/1568113962109255681

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i had a string of matches where this one white mage would always run in immediately and just hit guard at them to try and bait out a bunch of abilities, however he would still do it when i saw him on the enemy team and i'd just wait it out and get him anyway

so, probably do whatever you feel like just not the same exact thing every time

i usually would just hang in the back out of range when i played AST or BLM. wait for one of the warriors to yeet themselves in somewhere

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Bruceski posted:

The beginning of a CC match is a big game of chicken for sure. Groups with a tank are gonna have a big advantage here, especially warriors. Definitely try and bait for a bit and don't assume your team mates are gonna follow you into a situation that you think is winnable because that's a great way to get left by yourself and murdered.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Fight initiation is the main reason why WAR is extremely powerful imo. People can play around the stun, but there's very little counterplay to getting yoinked. I find the best solution is for your entire team to pick a target and immediately all-in them before the opposing warrior can yoink anybody. Can't pick a fight when the fight already picked you!

Unfortunately this counter-tactic requires your entire team to be on board. But it can and does happen, even with randos.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Re: Healer Exodus

Myself and a fair number of healers in my social circles either stopped playing healer, played it a lot less, or just stopped playing entirely due to the ShB changes. If I were to try an express my opinions about the ShB healer changes in the most level headed way I possibly could, I think I'd use the phrase: "Utter Dogshit". There was a lot of identity, a lot of nuance, and a lot of texture in the healer kits in Stormblood that just got eviscerated by a team that seems clueless as to why those things are important.

Healing Savage content these days is pretty dang boring. Your challenge is more or less in agreeing a on schedule with your co-healer, and then just hitting Glare/Broil/Malefic a lot while refreshing a dot every 30 seconds. Every kit is so homogenized that that you are never actually solving for HPS or utility - You are solving for net damage out. This would actually be totally fine too if Squeenix leaned into this a bit. The 4.0 Scholar kit was actually really compelling, but they just blew that away for one nuke and one dot. It just blows my mind that those changes shipped...

Part of this problem too is that there is just way too much power in the Healer kits in oGCD buttons. The HPS kits are not interesting these days, but it doesn't even matter because there is a race to spend as little real time actually healing the raid as possible, and it's not uncommon to go an entire 10+ minute fight and cast fewer then 20 GCD heals the entire time.

For these reasons and more, a lot of people I personally know just do not find healing interesting at all any more. Most of your job is slide casting your one and only nuke. The rest is creating a schedule. You are not actually solving any problems in real time - you are playing out a rigid script, and the script isn't that complex. There is very little depth and texture in the kits because the buttons are too overloaded these days. I still play, but I basically only log on to clear the Savage content every other patch, and then I vanish for 6 months. FFXIV no longer is the game I play, and hasn't been since Stormblood. YMMV.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 9, 2022

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Re: Healer Exodus

Myself and a fair number of healers in my social circles either stopped playing healer,

turn on your monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
managed to fish that turtle up and while it wasn't a purple scrip item i did disenchant it into some blue goo which is worth about 260k so I might be able to recoup my losses after all