Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

put your foith in the goyf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
At this point playing modern is an exercise in self harm.
Started 2-0 in the challange, and just dropped at 2-3. Hate the format, hate the decks.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah modern is weird. I don't really know how to describe it but it feels less fun than it was in like 2018. Everything feels so powerful?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

At this point playing modern is an exercise in self harm.
Started 2-0 in the challange, and just dropped at 2-3. Hate the format, hate the decks.

I played a modern rcq today and lost to tron and 4c creativity and hated my life during those matches. Goth 11th on breakers and missed the invite

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ilmucche posted:

Yeah modern is weird. I don't really know how to describe it but it feels less fun than it was in like 2018. Everything feels so powerful?

Everything just does too drat much-

-Creatures with such useful ETBs that you're willing to go down a card to use them.
-4-color decks that can not only handle a Blood Moon, but sometimes run it themselves.
-A 1-drop that can put the game away on its own.
-A Gray Ogre that tutors and casts your deck's best spell on cast.
-Decks that can not only run 80 cards, but that are better off running 80 cards than 60.

No I'm not bitter that I finished foiling out Mill right as it became unplayable, where'd you get that idea

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I have literlly been playing modern from day one and I've never hated the format as much as I do right now.
Unlike Gaak and Eldrazi winter where you could point to a single deck you can't because MH2 is the format.
If you ban one bs MH2 card another will take it's place.

Modern RN:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I took a break from modern for about 6 years and coming back to it this year I can still say that it is safely more fun & less bullshit than Standard has been. The most bullshit thing in Modern is probably Amulet of Vigor or Ragavan but compared to the last few years of constructed magic I’m still really enjoying it a lot more than any other post Eldraine format

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I wanted to get back into modern but I don’t want to go anywhere near a game store

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

C-Euro posted:

Everything just does too drat much-

-Creatures with such useful ETBs that you're willing to go down a card to use them.
-4-color decks that can not only handle a Blood Moon, but sometimes run it themselves.
-A 1-drop that can put the game away on its own.
-A Gray Ogre that tutors and casts your deck's best spell on cast.
-Decks that can not only run 80 cards, but that are better off running 80 cards than 60.

No I'm not bitter that I finished foiling out Mill right as it became unplayable, where'd you get that idea

Yeah, grinding value was fun. Now it feels like bomb after bomb after bomb

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I miss making 3 colour control decks scoop to turn 2 Blood Moon.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If they banned Yorion & Omnath and disincentivized 4/5 color decks with all Mythic Rares being the best deck in the format then I think Modern would be the healthiest format in MtG, but in general I think magic is at its very worst when playing 4-5 color Mythic piles

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ban fetches then. But they won't.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

HootTheOwl posted:

Ban fetches then. But they won't.

Shortly after Pioneer was announced, I predicted that Modern was going to become Legacy without the Reserve List and Pioneer would become Modern without fetches, and I haven't seen anything to take me off of that prediction :colbert:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

C-Euro posted:

Shortly after Pioneer was announced, I predicted that Modern was going to become Legacy without the Reserve List and Pioneer would become Modern without fetches, and I haven't seen anything to take me off of that prediction :colbert:

Brainstorm / Ponder makes the two formats very different. (And Dreadnought / Stifle)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

and pyroblast and wasteland and hogaak and bridge from below and swords to plowshares and dark depths and uro and simian spirit guide and Tabernacle and gaea's cradle and the duals and led and city of traitors and ancient tomb and force of will and daze and didgeridoo and and and

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

never heard of those

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

kalel posted:

and pyroblast and wasteland and hogaak and bridge from below and swords to plowshares and dark depths and uro and simian spirit guide and Tabernacle and gaea's cradle and the duals and led and city of traitors and ancient tomb and force of will and daze and didgeridoo and and and

Do those cards define the format better than brainstorm? O_o

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Do those cards define the format better than brainstorm? O_o

I dunno about that but they make it very different from modern, surely

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Alright 4c pyre humans is insanely fun to play in pioneer. That deck can grind like nothing else I’ve ever played.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Well, at least my boy dreadnought is putting up the numbers without me:

Andreas Mueller, RUG Dressnought posted:

Creature (9)
1 Brazen Borrower
1 Fury
4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
3 Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath

Sorcery (8)
4 Expressive Iteration
4 Ponder

Instant (19)
4 Brainstorm
2 Daze
4 Force of Will
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Stifle
1 Stubborn Denial

Enchantment (4)
4 Dress Down

Land (20)
2 Flooded Strand
2 Misty Rainforest
1 Mystic Sanctuary
2 Polluted Delta
2 Scalding Tarn
4 Tropical Island
3 Volcanic Island
4 Wasteland

Sideboard (15)
2 Ancient Grudge
2 Carpet of Flowers
2 Hydroblast
1 Pyroblast
1 Pyroclasm
2 Red Elemental Blast
3 Surgical Extraction
1 Torpor Orb
1 Unlicensed Hearse

Donhaggis BUG Dressnought posted:

Creature (13)
2 Lazav, the Multifarious
4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
3 Tarmogoyf
4 Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath
Sorcery (7)
4 Ponder
3 Thoughtseize
Instant (18)
3 Abrupt Decay
4 Brainstorm
4 Daze
4 Force of Will
3 Stifle
Enchantment (3)
3 Dress Down
Land (19)
1 Bayou
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Polluted Delta
3 Tropical Island
3 Underground Sea
2 Verdant Catacombs
4 Wasteland

Sideboard (15)
1 Blue Elemental Blast
2 Force of Negation
1 Hydroblast
1 Null Rod
3 Plague Engineer
2 Run Afoul
1 Seeds of Innocence
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Veil of Summer

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Why are the Green cards in Legacy so bad?
All I want is a playable 1 mana green card that's either an Adventure, Instant, or Sorcery. It doesn't even have to cost one, just needs some cost reducer in it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

a ... 1 mana green card that's either an Adventure, Instant, or Sorcery. It doesn't even have to cost one, just needs some cost reducer in it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

"Burning Garbage!"

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

All I want is a playable 1 mana green card that's either an Adventure, Instant, or Sorcery. It doesn't even have to cost one, just needs some cost reducer in it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

Isn’t that the green suns zenith format?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mezzanon posted:

Isn’t that the green suns zenith format?

I need to run more green creatures for those to work. Where's green Ponder? I'd settle for Green Consider.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

I need to run more green creatures for those to work. Where's green Ponder? I'd settle for Green Consider.

???

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

That card sucks, play this one instead.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Not an instant, sorcery, or adventure. (also kinda bad)

AnimeIsTrash posted:

That card sucks, play this one instead.

Y'all are providing a bunch of cards that are good in a Green "have lot of creature or lands" deck and not one that's good with winning strats in legacy. IE: Brainstorm, Ponder, and if we're lucky: Endurance.

Here's a list of all the ones commonly played in Legacy according to goldfish:
Endurance Playing
Force SB
GSZ Needs a billion creatures
Ouphe SB
Carpet of Flowers SB
Reclaimer Lands only
Crop Rotation Lands only
Grist Black
Library Close
Once Upon a Time High Varience low reward
Life from the loam Lands Only
Veil SB

Excavator What?
Uro Playing

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 8, 2022

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Play Tropical Islands?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Play Tropical Islands?

I can only afford breeding pool. The goal is Brainstorm, Ponder and Endurance.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

I can only afford breeding pool. The goal is Brainstorm, Ponder and Endurance.

Seems tough if you can’t afford tropical islands

Edit: play pauper

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mezzanon posted:

Seems tough if you can’t afford tropical islands

Edit: play pauper

Dual Lands are a scam. Evenif I win the whole 40 bucks at the FNM, I have to win 10 times for the heavy play one to pay for itself.
I've swapped out and sold most of my duals a year ago, and I've been keeping track: It's been two games I've lost because I shocked.

Except MTGO where it's the opposite.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Y'all are providing a bunch of cards that are good in a Green "have lot of creature or lands" deck and not one that's good with winning strats in legacy. IE: Brainstorm, Ponder, and if we're lucky: Endurance.

UG strats in legacy were dead and buried when Oko got banned. You can sort of play the old Snowko deck, but I think those all became 4–5C Yorion piles anyway. But they play those three cards. After that, your best option is infect, and that's not very good.

The green decks that win in Legacy are mostly Elves, Depths and Lands.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Don't forget cloudpo- ahahaha

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ilmucche posted:

Cloudpost is okay, Tony seems to do well with it on MTGO.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

Cloudpost is now G post which is Lands but no Loam-Wasteland loop.

I miss Karnpost

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Cloudpost is okay, Tony seems to do well with it on MTGO.

Yeah, he's real good with it, even in what feels like a not great meta

HootTheOwl posted:

Cloudpost is now G post which is Lands but no Loam-Wasteland loop.

I miss Karnpost

eh I feel it plays differently to a lands deck, at least the little I've played actual lands

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Playing shadow tonight because I haven’t seen a swords in paper in a month. Solitude might not be great tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Anyone else listening to this awesome podcast w/ Javier Dominguez and Andrea Mengucci (and their Aussie testing partner Anthony). I’m just loving it! Some of the best magic players in the world just talking about how to tackle Modern & Pioneer, but without droning on and on over some bullshit league video I don’t care about! A great listen, get in on the ground floor!