Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Mitakeumi
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Hoshoryu
Kiribayama

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Kotonowaka
Ura

M6-10:
Nishikifuji
Wakamotoharu
Myogiryu

M11+:
Ryuden
Ichiyamamoto
Chiyotairyu

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Storyline dudes

Shodai: Shodai.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ride or Shodai

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Vargatron posted:

Always bet on AOIYAMA. Never bet on Meisei.
Ayup

bartolimu posted:

dudes who've serially disappointed me whenever I pick them (Sadanoumi, Nishikigi, fuckin' Meisei)

Enfys posted:

Thanks for the encouragement as I probably wouldn't have thought to play fantasy otherwise given my ignorance. I would like to have people to cheer for, but I also don't know anyone and have no idea what I am doing!
Welcome to the thread! You've made some pretty great picks. Terunofuji is the best guy currently competing, when his knees cooperate. Wakatakakage has a fun to say name and a chip on his shoulder; he'll be trying for as many wins as possible to start a new Ozeki promotion run. Ura has the prettiest mawashi and is the only guy I've seen literally throw dudes over his shoulder to win. Apparently Endo is considered Extremely Handsome, and he frequently overperforms against higher-ranked rikshi. Hiradoumi is a good all-around wrestler and new to the upper division as of this basho, so he should have the crowd behind him and be fun to watch.

pseudodragon posted:

Tobizaru/Ura: undersized guys who try cool poo poo. Note that undersized in this scenario is like 5'9 290. Might not win the match and their size limits how high in the banzuke they might get but they'll have a couple "WTF was that!?!" Matches in a good way.
Also Midorifuji.

quote:

Tochinoshin: fun super strong dude that unfortunately has no knees. Easy for new people to get into because him and Aoiyama are the only white dudes left so he's easy to recognize
Aoiyama: tiddy

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

bartolimu posted:

Aoiyama: tiddy
But only two! Not four! That's someone else.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

pseudodragon posted:

Ichinojo: Either the most frustrating guy because he seems like he's wasting talent or a hero that's a genius at half-assing it on the job and getting rewarded for it depending on your pov.

Tochinoshin: fun super strong dude that unfortunately has no knees. Easy for new people to get into because him and Aoiyama are the only white dudes left so he's easy to recognize

Ichinojo is both things at once to me!

Tochinoshin: Ride or die with those knees!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Always tochinoknee

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
(incomplete) list of Very Valid reasons for picking a rikishi as your fav: How their name sounds, the colour of their mawashi, their record, their cup size, you just think they're neat :shucks:

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Where can I find a list of Rikishi cup-sizes? For, uh... research?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I picked Shohozan for the gold mawashi, but I fell in love with him because he was gangsta.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

If this were midnightsumo chat:

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

(incomplete) list of Very Valid reasons for picking a rikishi as your fav: How their name sounds, the colour of their mawashi, their record, their rear end size, you just think they're neat :shucks:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ura is my boy and all I can add to the conversation.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It saddens me that the only two sideburn-sporters of any note are perennially mediocre Shimanoumi and hairpulling choke-artist Chiotairyu. I will instinctively root for anyone who brings a good sideburns game.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I will say that Meisei helped deliver my first and only fantasy sumo title, but has failed in every subsequent basho that I've drafted him in. Now I languish in lower Maegashira ranks wistfully thinking of past glories.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I picked Shohozan for the gold mawashi, but I fell in love with him because he was gangsta.

Perpetual disappointment Kagayaki was a favourite of mine because he had the cool gold when he first came up. Now I like Ura's salmon pink.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

But only two! Not four! That's someone else.

I'm not sure what it says about me that I immediately knew you meant Kotonowaka.

For new people who are wondering what is up with Shodai:

Shodai is notable for reaching the second highest rank in the sport (Ozeki) and then proceeding to maintain consistent 8-7, 7-8 records in a position where it's expected to at minimum have consistent winning records, to the point where two 7-8 records in a row results in demotion to a lower rank. Shodai has managed to dodge this fate every time he was facing it, often pulling out his eighth win near or on the last day. For some reason, this has left certain (incorrect) people with the impression that he's not very good (he is excellent) and that he can't keep getting away with it (he can.)

Last basho, the now-retired all time great Hakuho gave Shodai the advice that he should really try warming up a little before each match. This novel and daring tactic immediately turned Shodai into an unstoppable monster. We'll see if he continues this trend during the coming basho, but frankly nothing can stop Shodai except Shodai.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Log082 posted:

Shodai has managed to dodge this fate every time he was facing it, often pulling out his eighth win near or on the last day. For some reason, this has left certain (incorrect) people with the impression that he's not very good (he is excellent) and that he can't keep getting away with it (he can.)

He's the same as Ichinojo. A guy who could probably be better than he is if he tried, but is just happy with his spot in life and putting in just enough effort in as he has to in order to maintain his lifestyle while everyone else around him is busting their rear end gunning for a promotion that probably isn't coming.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Log082 posted:

Last basho, the now-retired all time great Hakuho gave Shodai the advice that he should really try warming up a little before each match. This novel and daring tactic immediately turned Shodai into an unstoppable monster. We'll see if he continues this trend during the coming basho, but frankly nothing can stop Shodai except Shodai.

The Mr. Magoo of the sumo world.

pseudodragon posted:

He's the same as Ichinojo. A guy who could probably be better than he is if he tried, but is just happy with his spot in life and putting in just enough effort in as he has to in order to maintain his lifestyle while everyone else around him is busting their rear end gunning for a promotion that probably isn't coming.

Also this. There seem to be wrestlers that are pleased with where they stand and they don't want to reach for the brass ring that are the higher/highest ranks. And honestly, I don't blame them. Sumo seems like a sport that will just destroy your body, except moreso because you're smashing your head into someone else's or the initial impact is with 1000+ pounds of force or because the struggle to win against an opponent who wants it more might be some sort of injury and maybe even a permanent one.

If you want to make it a career without having paper mache for joints before you even hit thirty then I suppose you have to play the long game of taking the easy wins when you can get them and taking an L if the match doesn't seem worth it. And if you only have to win above 50% of your matches three times a year out of six, that seems like a pretty sweet gig so long as you can sustain it.

On the other hand, you have teronofuji who hit ozeki and just wrecked his loving body before falling down into some of the lowest rankings of sumo only to rise to the top. It's a fantastic story, but sustaining his position just wrecked his body. So I understand why someone wouldn't want to push harder if going to a higher level of play means an even higher number of potential injuries.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 7, 2022

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:

Kenning posted:

Once again, the layout of the goonnzuke is determined by the character length of the name of Everyone's Favorite Poster. In future, I need to remember to always rank them on the west side.

:classiclol: woops!

thanks again for doing this Kenning, looking forward to this month!

As a side note, are we still doing cool yokogoona avatars? Can I buy one somewhere if so??

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Shodai also has a strange style of sumo that makes his fights a lot of fun.

Lots of the wrestlers have standard tactics. Takakeisho is a human cannonball who shoves people out. Terunofuji is a ridiculous strongman who puts the clamps on your arms and then manhandles you about wherever he pleases. Ichinojo uses the secret tactic of "being loving gigantic". Shodai, though? He's really good at sumo, but I couldn't tell you what he's good at it. He's got a lot of fights that follow the general pattern of "Shodai looks like he's sleepwalking through the fight, the enemy is shoving Shodai back, they've got him up on the ropes, they put everything into shoving him out, they're face down in the clay and Shodai's safely inside the circle looking like the entire thing was his idea."

And so you start to think that maybe his thing is just being really slippery and evasive and good at using the edge to his advantage, and you'd sort of be right in that, because he is really good at all of those things. But then sometimes he'll be down 1-4 while facing demotion, and then Evil Shodai takes control and he just absolutely bodies his way to a 10-5 record before disappearing without a trace.

It is worth noting, though, that recent advances in the field of Shodai Science indicate that the secret to summoning Evil Shodai might be "warming up a bit before he competes", and if true this would be the most Shodai thing ever.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Khizan posted:

Shodai also has a strange style of sumo that makes his fights a lot of fun.

Lots of the wrestlers have standard tactics. Takakeisho is a human cannonball who shoves people out. Terunofuji is a ridiculous strongman who puts the clamps on your arms and then manhandles you about wherever he pleases. Ichinojo uses the secret tactic of "being loving gigantic". Shodai, though? He's really good at sumo, but I couldn't tell you what he's good at it. He's got a lot of fights that follow the general pattern of "Shodai looks like he's sleepwalking through the fight, the enemy is shoving Shodai back, they've got him up on the ropes, they put everything into shoving him out, they're face down in the clay and Shodai's safely inside the circle looking like the entire thing was his idea."

And so you start to think that maybe his thing is just being really slippery and evasive and good at using the edge to his advantage, and you'd sort of be right in that, because he is really good at all of those things. But then sometimes he'll be down 1-4 while facing demotion, and then Evil Shodai takes control and he just absolutely bodies his way to a 10-5 record before disappearing without a trace.

It is worth noting, though, that recent advances in the field of Shodai Science indicate that the secret to summoning Evil Shodai might be "warming up a bit before he competes", and if true this would be the most Shodai thing ever.

Thank you for this post. I spent a while trying to describe how Shodai fights and just kept deleting every attempt, because like you said, it's very strange. Half the time after a winning match Shodai himself doesn't look like he knows what just happened.

One of my favorite Shodai facts is that, reportedly, during his early career he never looked up who he was fighting until he got into the ring and saw them in person.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Ice Phisherman posted:

The Mr. Magoo of the sumo world.

Also this. There seem to be wrestlers that are pleased with where they stand and they don't want to reach for the brass ring that are the higher/highest ranks. And honestly, I don't blame them. Sumo seems like a sport that will just destroy your body, except moreso because you're smashing your head into someone else's or the initial impact is with 1000+ pounds of force or because the struggle to win against an opponent who wants it more might be some sort of injury and maybe even a permanent one.

If you want to make it a career without having paper mache for joints before you even hit thirty then I suppose you have to play the long game of taking the easy wins when you can get them and taking an L if the match doesn't seem worth it. And if you only have to win above 50% of your matches three times a year out of six, that seems like a pretty sweet gig so long as you can sustain it.

On the other hand, you have teronofuji who hit ozeki and just wrecked his loving body before falling down into some of the lowest rankings of sumo only to rise to the top. It's a fantastic story, but sustaining his position just wrecked his body. So I understand why someone wouldn't want to push harder if going to a higher level of play means an even higher number of potential injuries.

what age range do wrestlers tend to start their career and then to retire?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Everyones Favorite Poster posted:

:classiclol: woops!

thanks again for doing this Kenning, looking forward to this month!

As a side note, are we still doing cool yokogoona avatars? Can I buy one somewhere if so??

Yokogoona titles are won by winning the yusho for a given fantasy tournament. However, you must score a kachi-koshi in subsequent bashos or you will be demoted (as I have).

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Hello new friends! I've been following sumo for the last few bashos but finally decided to join fantasy. Looking forward to camping out at the bottom of the goonzuke:

Y/O:
Shodai
Takakeisho
Terunofuji

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Ichinojo
Abi

M1-5:
Ura
Takayasu
Nishikigi

M6-10:
Tochinoshin
Aoiyama
Kotoeko

M11+:
Terutsuyoshi
Chiyotairyu
Ichiyamamoto

e: didn't know about Ryuden when I originally had him in my draft picks; no thanks

StupidSexyMothman fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 10, 2022

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Enfys posted:

what age range do wrestlers tend to start their career and then to retire?

Starting age usually has a couple spots. The earliest you can join is 15 so a bunch join right after middle school, most join 18-19 after high school and then some after university. University champs get to start out higher in the banzuke, but it's tough unless you're really good since the guys that started younger have had such a head start.

Looking at the current Ozeki, there's Takakeisho who joined at 18 while Shodai and Mitakuemi are University guys so both paths can be successful, but Takakeisho is 26 while the other 2 are 29/30. All 3 started pros within a year of each other.

The more important thing is that a guy's needs to hit Makuuchi by 23-24 if they want to reach the top ranks so if university guys don't come in awesome right away, they probably won't be more than mid card filler while the younger guys can be more of a slow and steady rise. If someone makes Makuuchi as a teen/20ish, it's a good sign of stardom.

Guys usually hit a wall in their early 30s like 32-33ish. Lasting past 35 is rare for guys leaving on the top though some guys stick around and are ok with dropping in rank. Hakuho, the GOAT for example, retired at 36 winning his last tournament but spent the last 3-4 years being alternating between being injured and dominating.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Khizan posted:

Shodai's version of the Dragon Ball screaming-for-four-episodes powerup is some light stretching.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Couple of knee bends and toe touches while he looks at the schedule for the day going "oh I'm fighting Takakeisho" and his tsukebito reminds him who that is

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Shodai fights under his legal name because trying to give him a shikona went like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quxW1V8Hwlg

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I'm at risk of going all the way to turyo, becausew of drafting the worst team in history, so I present the failsafe: Team 8-7

Y/O:
Terunofuji (Also I'm cheating)
Shodai (because he warms up now)
Mitakeumi

S/K:
Ichinojo
Wakatakakage
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Kotonowaka
Midorifuji
Tamawashi

M6-10:
Nishikifuji
Wakamotoharu
Kotoeko

M11+:
Ichiyamamoto
Hiradoumi
Mitoryu

Lid fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 9, 2022

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Khizan posted:

To the thread newcomers, this is not a joke. Well, not a literal one at least. Shodai has started the last 3 tournaments with a 1-4 record: He finished 9-6 then 5-10(oops) and ended July 10-5 after getting some advice from the greatest Yokozuna of all time "You should try warming up before matches" and with that he only lost one more match.

In short, Shodai is a chaos elemental and should be worshiped as such. Praise be Lord Shodai.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And because of the way sumo rankings work there was a period of six months where, officially, the second best rikishi in sumo was Shodai a man who looks baffled by the existence of his toes.

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:

Vargatron posted:

Yokogoona titles are won by winning the yusho for a given fantasy tournament. However, you must score a kachi-koshi in subsequent bashos or you will be demoted (as I have).

Thank you! I somehow miraculously won last fantasy yusho although definitely not certain of kachi-koshing this month :)

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Shodai has his signature edge bullshit where he's ultra slippery, reactive and strong on the edge - I think he leeches power from the tawara or something, so many times dude has had a foot on the rope but turned the momentum in his favour, it's a legit strength but also sort of unbecoming for an Ozeki. Being a great defensive fighter who can turn the tide at the last is all fine and dandy until your rank means you're expected to be a domineering monster.

Khorre
Jan 28, 2009

Log082 posted:

I'm not sure what it says about me that I immediately knew you meant Kotonowaka.

For new people who are wondering what is up with Shodai:

Shodai is notable for reaching the second highest rank in the sport (Ozeki) and then proceeding to maintain consistent 8-7, 7-8 records in a position where it's expected to at minimum have consistent winning records, to the point where two 7-8 records in a row results in demotion to a lower rank. Shodai has managed to dodge this fate every time he was facing it, often pulling out his eighth win near or on the last day. For some reason, this has left certain (incorrect) people with the impression that he's not very good (he is excellent) and that he can't keep getting away with it (he can.)

I feel like Hakuho saying this is like One Punch Man giving his training regimen. 100 Sit-ups! 100 Push-ups! 100 Lunges! Run 10 kilometers, Every DAY!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Hakuho's retirement fight is iconic, but to me the more memorable one is his fight with Shodai before that where he fought in a way that managed to be "i have nothing but utter contempt for you and you are a disgrace to your ranking" in physical form

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Lid posted:

Hakuho's retirement fight is iconic, but to me the more memorable one is his fight with Shodai before that where he fought in a way that managed to be "i have nothing but utter contempt for you and you are a disgrace to your ranking" in physical form
For any new folks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TiN6eIzgm0

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Lid posted:

The Hakuho doc that was released after had Hakuho explain why he did that against Shodai:

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Hak does everything against any standard sumo strategy in that match. Standing all the way at the back of the ring, inviting the opponent to take the initiative on the tachiai. Hanging back waiting for Shodai to engage partway through the match.

Sumo matches are so short it's usually all about aggression, taking the initiative and fighting on your terms. Hak decides I'm old and on the way out, but I can still kick your rear end with one hand tied behind back. To the 4th ranked guy in the world.

Note at that point, Hak was tied for the tournament lead with 2 fights to go including a match with the co-leader so it wasn't like he was out of it or had clinched a win and didn't need the match. He had everything on the line and still thought it was more important to embarrass Shodai than fight it out straight.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If anything it was a show of respect, IMO. Hakuho, the best rikishi to ever step into the dohyo, didn’t think he could beat Shodai in a straight fight that day and so he had to resort to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Khizan posted:

If anything it was a show of respect. Hakuho, the best rikishi to ever step into the dohyo, didn’t think he could beat Shodai in a straight fight that day and so he had to resort to that.

Counterpoint