Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah, the kids make sense sense as bait for Thor. Also not all the gods were dicks, like they show the big primordial beast one that was killed (and I think we were told he was loved and actually involved). Just the ones that gathered for the announcement of the big orgy and the coronation of most human sacrifices... which is another thing now that I think about it. They specified most human sacrifices but made it a point to show tons of gods that weren't of human origin so what's the deal with that? The biggest dick swinger at the event had to be a very specific god that hasn't been relevant for centuries and even when he was it was only for a fraction of population of a tiny dumb planet that wasn't even relevant in the grand scheme of things? And his particular thing is lightning? There was a loving dragon there. There must be a ton a creation gods that are way more powerful than a horny bolt throwing rear end in a top hat that even Thor could beat with no problem at all, barely an inconvenience.

Just so many little things that make no sense in the grand scheme of things.

I did like the casting in the after credits scene though, loved him in Ted Lasso. Don't know much about his character in the comics but he seems like a good choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Child molestation is the subtext in the original Nightmare on Elm St.

What with all the skeevy sexual stuff like the bathtub and the tongue through the phone.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Taeke posted:

? The biggest dick swinger at the event had to be a very specific god that hasn't been relevant for centuries and even when he was it was only for a fraction of population of a tiny dumb planet that wasn't even relevant in the grand scheme of things?

Marvel Space Zeus.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Taeke posted:

I did like the casting in the after credits scene though, loved him in Ted Lasso. Don't know much about his character in the comics but he seems like a good choice.

He kinda rules.

And all the other gods at the event were losers. Didn't even have cool flashy powers, just, like, sadness or grain or some bullshit.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FreudianSlippers posted:

Re: Nope

Holst is a D.P. and it was Golden Hour.

He had no choice.

Love to see Michael "Gravelly" Wincott in anything. And that was a fun character.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Push El Burrito posted:

He kinda rules.

And all the other gods at the event were losers. Didn't even have cool flashy powers, just, like, sadness or grain or some bullshit.

Lmao that could be awesome.

Also just regarding the ending big "child soldiers are fine as long as they're fighting for our side" vibes. Like what the actual gently caress? You've got a whole seaside town of Asgardians but you have to make of point of training their young children just because that made for a cool scene in the final fight? Also wtf Thor?! You've got an adopted daughter now and instead of waiting until she's at least old enough enough to make the choice for herself you're just going to force her into fights you could handle easily by yourself? You're a bad parent and Jane would hate you. You're a bad person. Shame on you. At least wait until she's like 16 or whatever and can decide for herself if she's okay with killing randoms instead of what the gently caress you did there. I don't care that it's dressed up as analogous to common child rearing situations, that poo poo's hosed up inherited powers or no.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I thoroughly enjoyed LOVE AND THUNDER. Jokes, run time and Hemsworth's rear end. Totally worth it for even just that.

Feel like people who didn't like it even little stuff are weirdos.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SiKboy posted:

I mean, he had a point *about the one specfic god he killed at the beginning*. So if thats all he did, yeah, hes not the villain. But the movie explicitly points out that hes killing gods who are cool and good, and whose worshippers are happy like

Like the other people who worshipped his god whose homes didn't dry up into a wasteland and whose daughters didn't die? Did his god not have any happy worshippers?

quote:

Its absolutely okay to have a beef with a member of a group who is an rear end in a top hat to you. When you extend that beef to everyone who shares a particular characteristic with that one person... I feel you dont have a point any more, no.

But the movie goes on to show that the other gods are *also* assholes. They take credit when things are good, don't do poo poo when things are bad, and get off on worship, and self-worship, of how cool they are. Zeus doesn't do poo poo, he doesn't help anybody, he just hangs around in a paradise-planet in space and bangs and eats all day long. Sure, he has some happy worshippers, but then he also has worshippers whose babies die of cancer and he does nothing about it. Any point that Gorr has regarding the god who did nothing while his child died in anguish stands equally well for Zeus, the only difference with Zeus is that it's not Gorr's child who died. But it was certainly someone else's. Where was Zeus when the Persians destroyed Athens? If Gorr had been living in Athens in 480 BC, he'd be allowed to be equally as pissed as he was in this movie.

Also: How the hell does "having cancer" make someone worthy of wielding Mjolnir? Did the hammer just lower its standards a whole lot once it got shattered? I mean, she's not a child murderer or anything but she's sure not Captain America.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Sep 8, 2022

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Phanatic posted:

Also: How the hell does "having cancer" make someone worthy of wielding Mjolnir? Did the hammer just lower its standards a whole lot once it got shattered? I mean, she's not a child murderer or anything but she's sure not Captain America.

pretty sure that was it fufilling the promise thor told it to in the weird jane and thor dating montage.

MariusLecter posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed LOVE AND THUNDER. Jokes, run time and Hemsworth's rear end. Totally worth it for even just that.

Babydude Thor with a hammer in the baby carrier going to battle early on was pretty good.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

nesamdoom posted:

pretty sure that was it fufilling the promise thor told it to in the weird jane and thor dating montage.

But if that's all it takes, Thor could have just said "Okay, see all these other guys I'm fighting Thanos with? They're the Avengers, they're good, they can wield you too if they need to."

Also Thor's back tattoos, memorializing the dead Avengers. He fought with Hogun and Volstagg and Fandral for how many thousands of years? Where's their ink? Maybe somewhere the camera can't show, i guess.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Phanatic posted:

Like the other people who worshipped his god whose homes didn't dry up into a wasteland and whose daughters didn't die? Did his god not have any happy worshippers?

But the movie goes on to show that the other gods are *also* assholes. They take credit when things are good, don't do poo poo when things are bad, and get off on worship, and self-worship, of how cool they are. Zeus doesn't do poo poo, he doesn't help anybody, he just hangs around in a paradise-planet in space and bangs and eats all day long. Sure, he has some happy worshippers, but then he also has worshippers whose babies die of cancer and he does nothing about it. Any point that Gorr has regarding the god who did nothing while his child died in anguish stands equally well for Zeus, the only difference with Zeus is that it's not Gorr's child who died. But it was certainly someone else's.

So I'm clear, you think the happy ending for the movie would be that Gorr kills the asgardians, wipes out every man woman and child among them because they didnt cure cancer, but are considered "gods" by the unclear criteria of that term within the MCU? Because he was literally waging a one-person genocidal war against everyone who was described as a god, including the hero of the film. Most of the non-asgardian gods who have speaking parts are kind of dicks, but I'm pretty sure both me and you, SA forums poster Phanatic, are deep down thankful that "Being kind of a dick" isnt really death sentence worthy.

And she wasnt worthy because she had cancer, she was worthy AND she had cancer. Again, much like "what exact criteria are we using to determine who is a god here" what precisely makes someone "worthy" is never entirely clear. Thor was worthy once he learned to care for other people, captain america was worthy because hes generally a good dude, vision was worthy because... Hes a good dude? He was newly created and therefore had never done a bad thing? In any case Mjolner seems to decide who/what fits the criteria, and considering Jane would go on to protect Asgard while OG thor was away, yeah, worthy as defined by an asgardian superweapon. Bearing in mind that she looked after Thor in the first movie, helped him become worthy himself, and probably did something in the second movie which I dont remember because Dark World was pretty bad.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MariusLecter posted:

I hadn't been to the theater since Top Gun and liked Thor a great deal more. And I liked the little Waititi touches.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I hadn't been to the theater since Top Gun and liked Thor a great deal more. And I liked the little Waititi touches.

Less is more. I think that really applies to the Waititi touches in this movie. And I know he can be restrained, because he was in Ragnarok, which I consider a top three solo Marvel outing.

Rock god Thor sequence at the beginning: needed to be dialed back like 25% to really land; it was just too much

Korg: needed to be in maybe half the scenes he was in. It's obvious Waititi is just too in love with the character. Sometimes you need to kill your darlings

Miek: needed to be scrapped

The goats: needed to end the joke after they made their entrance into Omnipotence City; that was its payoff. There are some people who can take a joke, kill it, and keep going with it until it's funny again. The catches are: the last person I can think of like this was Mike Myers in the Austin Powers series, and even he only hit it about half the time (only applies to the first two movies; can't even remember the third)

The music: Personal opinion, but Ragnarok was much better than Love & Thunder. Maybe because using the Immigrant Song twice is the only music I can remember from Ragnarok, which totally rocked (no pun intended)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

SiKboy posted:

So I'm clear, you think the happy ending for the movie would be that Gorr kills the asgardians, wipes out every man woman and child

No. "Every man woman and child" aren't gods.

Gorr's gripe is that these beings we call gods and bless with our worship aren't worthy of it. They're cruel and callous and uncaring and if they are responsible for creation they're also responsible for all the evil and suffering in it and we're better off without them.

And then the film goes on to specifically show that the gods are *really gods*, they're not just alien beings being worshipped as gods because they're really powerful and have advanced technology, which is what the Asgardians are, they really *are* gods. And surprise, they're actually cruel and callous and uncaring and are directly responsible for *untold suffering*. The worst human being you can possibly imagine? The gods are worse than that.

Gorr is per the MCU mistaken about the Asgardians, they're not actually gods (because we're specifically told otherwise in the Thor films, not even Thor and Loki are gods and *definitely* not the Asgardians who don't get names.), but the other ones are.

quote:

Bearing in mind that she looked after Thor in the first movie, helped him become worthy himself, and probably did something in the second movie which I dont remember because Dark World was pretty bad.

Jane is literally an ordinary person. She's not particularly selfless and noble, she's not particularly selfish and base. If being an ordinary person is sufficient to wield Mjolnir, then the whole restriction on it only being able to be wielded by those "worthy" is next to worthless. Like, in what sense is Jane more worthy to wield it than Rhodie?

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 22:07 on Sep 8, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Jane is literally an ordinary person. She's not particularly selfless and noble, she's not particularly selfish and base. If being an ordinary person is sufficient to wield Mjolnir, then the whole restriction on it only being able to be wielded by those "worthy" is next to worthless. Like, in what sense is Jane more worthy to wield it than Rhodie?

As per the intro narration, she can wield it due to Thor's Love Magic. She doesn't have to qualify by the standards of Odin's Original Magic.

it's like how Thor gave powers to random kids

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Gorr is per the MCU mistaken about the Asgardians, they're not actually gods (because we're specifically told otherwise in the Thor films, not even Thor and Loki are gods and *definitely* not the Asgardians who don't get names.), but the other ones are.

I'm fairly sure they've quietly retconned that, the "Asgardians are just super science users" stuff in Thor was when Marvel were poo poo scared of having any magic in their movies, a view that has long since gone away.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
There is literally a scene where he tells mjolnir that she's special to him and that it needs to protect her.

I dunno how much more blatantly they could have explained it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Oof.

They made some changes for the Disney+ release. I don't think this is an improvement.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

oldpainless posted:

The MCU is irredeemably bad and anyone with even the slightest association with it in any way should feel bad.

I won't go that far but, man, I am really tired of 1/4 of any movie or TV series at all being capes and dragons and poo poo.

Never thought I'd say that but here we are.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I always took the whole mjolnir mythos to mean most people have enough ulterior motives to keep it from ever moving, but it will begin to move if the person has enough altruism.

Like even being aware of holding the hammer is enough to distract from actually being able to wield it for most people because they don't care deeply about a whole species or something.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BiggerBoat posted:

I won't go that far but, man, I am really tired of 1/4 of any movie or TV series at all being capes and dragons and poo poo.

Never thought I'd say that but here we are.

After Endgame, which lets be honest was not a great movie, and all the future plans were announced with all these series and lesser known movies, I said it was going to lead to a huge drop in quality in the products and this entire forum told me I was wrong and Disney wasn’t going to let that happen and it was all planned out for the next decade. And what I predicted came to pass.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

oldpainless posted:

After Endgame, which lets be honest was not a great movie, and all the future plans were announced with all these series and lesser known movies, I said it was going to lead to a huge drop in quality in the products and this entire forum told me I was wrong and Disney wasn’t going to let that happen and it was all planned out for the next decade. And what I predicted came to pass.

Don't we get enough of these blanket MCU bad statements in CD? I demand an itemized list of each specific moment that was bad so as to match the thread concept.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

theironjef posted:

Don't we get enough of these blanket MCU bad statements in CD? I demand an itemized list of each specific moment that was bad so as to match the thread concept.

Throwing down the gauntlet!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
If you don't realise that MCU is the laziest stuff ever written, with no incentive to do otherwise as they make billions, then you are too close to the poop to see it. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy them, but they are the height of "write whatever so we can get to the next set piece I came up with after speaking with my 6-year-old son".

That's my Rationally Irritating Movie hot take, and I'm happy to do more RIMming if that's what it takes.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Gromit posted:

If you don't realise that MCU is the laziest stuff ever written, with no incentive to do otherwise as they make billions, then you are too close to the poop to see it. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy them, but they are the height of "write whatever so we can get to the next set piece I came up with after speaking with my 6-year-old son".

That's my Rationally Irritating Movie hot take, and I'm happy to do more RIMming if that's what it takes.

No one said I disagreed. I'm just sick of people saying "MCU Bad and I am the herald of this truth!" It's boring thread content. You're boring thread content. You're all out of order!

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Throwing down the gauntlet!

I just realized that the Thanos glove looks like it's jerking off, which is a good metaphor for where this conversation is going

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Love and thunder was a perfectly fine disposable summer popcorn movie. Shotgun hammer was pretty rad, goats were funny if overdone, fat Zeus was great, and that's pretty much all I remember from the movie. Probably would have been better if edited a little more tightly, and wasn't nearly as good as Ragnarok but it's fine.

Completely nonrelated (and posting it here as I don't want to post in any dedicated thread to the film because I want to go into it completely free of spoilers) but I understand that Prey has a native language dub. How is it in terms of lip sync? I'd be interested in watching it that way the first time through, but not if the dubbing makes it look like a Shaw bros. movie.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

theironjef posted:

every moment is bad, especially if you liked it, person reading this

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My only concern

My ONLY concern about Love and Thunder, is, do they still call Gorr's sword "All-Black The Necrosword, the Annihilablade, the Slicer of Worlds" because that was what it was called in the van-art-as-gently caress run of comics that he's from

Also, happy Evil Fuckin Room page

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It is for sure called "All-Black The Necrosword" but I don't remember if the rest is mentioned.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

rydiafan posted:

It is for sure called "All-Black The Necrosword" but I don't remember if the rest is mentioned.

I can live with that, the full name is kind of cumbersome

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Phy posted:

Also, happy Evil Fuckin Room page

I do enjoy that movie, it's pretty good.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that at the end of 1408, he only survives because he's become so numb to the room's bullshit that he can no longer bring himself to care. After everything it's done to him he's so emotionally exhausted that it just can't get a rise from him anymore.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Breetai posted:

Completely nonrelated (and posting it here as I don't want to post in any dedicated thread to the film because I want to go into it completely free of spoilers) but I understand that Prey has a native language dub. How is it in terms of lip sync? I'd be interested in watching it that way the first time through, but not if the dubbing makes it look like a Shaw bros. movie.

I only saw it in the Comanche dub so far and I didn't notice it until one moment, but it's not deal-breaking.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I like that at the end of 1408, he only survives because he's become so numb to the room's bullshit that he can no longer bring himself to care. After everything it's done to him he's so emotionally exhausted that it just can't get a rise from him anymore.

I think you got the wrong thread. Unfortunately it's been so long since I've seen it that I can't remember any irritating moments.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Tagichatn posted:

I think you got the wrong thread. Unfortunately it's been so long since I've seen it that I can't remember any irritating moments.

I only put that here because people had mentioned it and I wanted to chime in.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nope: They made a big show of how dry and dusty everything is. And how rundown the horse ranch is. So you know that house is bone dry with flaking paint ready to soak up moisture. Yet after the monster vomits blood all over the house nobody ever mentions the smell. The next day the sun is out and that house must smell like rotting meat. That's way more objectionable than the scent of horse manure, but is never mentioned.

You're never getting the smell out either, every time it rains from now on the essence of rotting meat vomit is going to come back. You'll never wash it out of every cranny. House is ruined.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

BioEnchanted posted:

I only put that here because people had mentioned it and I wanted to chime in.
It's the right page for it, for sure

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gromit posted:

If the MCU is the laziest thing ever written, then what’s Law and Order, smart guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

christmas boots posted:

If the MCU is the laziest thing ever written, then what’s Law and Order, smart guy?

The MCU without superpowers?