Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

Appreciated! On the licensed books thing, do you have any that you particularly like and recommend? I haven't been too interested in that so far, just mentioned titles from other mediums to kinda show some stuff I enjoy in the genre.

I don't read much but Dan Abnett's Warhammer work is great (and honestly check out his comics work (the Annihilation mini-series from Marvel are a good place to start) it's almost exactly what you want, Al Ewing too)

The two dedicated threads should help more:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494493

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951863

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks! I love Dan Abnett's 2000AD comics, and I've had some of his Warhammer stuff on the shelf for a while (Gaunts Ghosts "The Saint" omnibus and also "Xenos"). Tried a little of a Horace Heresy one which was a bit much in the crazy lore for me I think. Will give those a go sometime.

The only Star Wars book I have is Shadows of the Empire, which I heard isn't good, but wanted to try for novelty.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Heavy Metal posted:

I watched that in recent years too, lot of fun, really stylish and unique. As a side film recommendation, that John Woo movie The Killer really scratches a lot of the cool melodrama itch from that time. Ditto A Better Tomorrow etc. Miami Vice's tone is such a unique blend of charming buddy stuff, hard boiled pulpy detective action, over the top stylish operatic melodrama, some good nutty comedy relief, classic 80s. Wish I'd read more to be able to recommend something with that vibe, but I was thinking Elmore Leonard too. Swag is a cool one, from the criminals perspective, and has a dynamic of two lead dudes and their relationship there. Has that kind of hanging out in a seedy world, bit of devil may care vibe to it.

So I came to ask, any really accessible fun to read space opera adventures? I give it that preamble since a lot of the sci-fi section to me looks a bit inaccessible for my taste, at least at the moment. I enjoy that show The Expanse, but even that book series for example looks a little bit too dry for me at the moment. When I hear space opera, I get the idea that there are a lot of cool fun books out there which might appeal to me. Since I love Mobile Suit Gundam, Star Wars, Captain Harlock, dig Firefly, love Cowboy Bebop, Wrath of Khan, Irresponsible Captain Tylor etc. But when I read the preview pages for most books with spaceships, I'm not finding that kind of fun page-turner for me.

For writing style I'm drawn to stuff like Elmore Leonard as mentioned, and for sci-fi I really love that Harry Harrison Stainless Steel Rat is Born book from the 80s, and intend to check out the rest of that series sometime. My guess is I'm probably looking for a space opera that is from 1980s or newer, influenced by Star Wars probably.

Also a side question, any books that capture that vibe of the Space Quest games? So looking for both swashbuckling epics and some nutty comedy adventures, or some mix of the two.

It seems like you might be most interested in comedic space opera, or at least comedy adjacent. I don't know of any comedy space opera, but Christopher Anvil's Interstellar Patrol is comedy adjacent with frequent humorous incidents.

Maybe try the Retief series? It's from the 60s, so I don't know how well it's aged, but I remember it being pretty funny.

Normally I'd second Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorksogian sequence but a lot of it is pretty serious. If you do try it, skip the first book and start with the second. The first book has a different viewpoint character and is more than a decade before the rest of the series so you won't feel lost without. The second, The Warrior's Apprentice, starts slow and gloomy but does pick up speed and just keeps accelerating after that point, if I remember right.

Not a book recommendation, but I suspect you'd enjoy the Farscape tv show.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks! Those are a couple flavors I'm interested in, the comedy Space Quest thing and the space opera/adventure thing mentioned. I also dig a well done bit of epic melodrama that puts a smile on my face anyway, like those anime titles mentioned etc. I mainly just wanted something that isn't kind of dry and unapproachable for me. But I'm looking for a variety of stuff. I guess some of my fav stuff like Elmore Leonard mentioned seem to effortlessly do both.

And I'll definitely put Farscape on the list, always heard that was fun. And I do love Muppets.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 2, 2022

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Thanks! I love Dan Abnett's 2000AD comics, and I've had some of his Warhammer stuff on the shelf for a while (Gaunts Ghosts "The Saint" omnibus and also "Xenos"). Tried a little of a Horace Heresy one which was a bit much in the crazy lore for me I think. Will give those a go sometime.

The only Star Wars book I have is Shadows of the Empire, which I heard isn't good, but wanted to try for novelty.

If you're okay with licensed stuff, I'd go for Brian Daley's original Han Solo books (Han Solo's Revenge, Han Solo at Stars' End, and Han Solo and the Lost Legacy), which are perfectly fine space swashbuckling adventure.

I recommended them a few pages back, but Alexei Panshin's Anthony Villiers books (Star Well, The Thurb Revolution, and Masque World) might suit you as well.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sounds fun, thanks.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

np19 posted:

Is Edward Gibbons Rise and Fall still a relevant read?

I’m reading Master of the Senate by Caro right now (I’ve been trucking through Years after reading The Power Broker in Spring) and found out while writing the 3rd volume he alternated between Gibbon and Tolstoy. I would like to commit myself to another long book series but if it’s woefully outdated, I would be dissuaded.

Also, if there were another survey of the History of Rome in smaller parts but had some of the Caro knack for prose, I would be into that as well :)

Yeah, it's great. Obviously out of date as far as historiography goes, but read for itself it's a very good book. I'm not an historian, so I only know it was one of the earliest attempts at history as we currently understand it and was massively influential. He has an axe to grind with the early Christians, but as long as you keep in mind when he was writing and his prejudices and preconceptions, I think it is still well worth reading.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know any good books like the film Heat (1995)? I'm aware it just got a sequel novel, but I'm looking for some other suggestions.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Any character-driven novels (or I guess non-fiction, if they are still primarily following a small number of characters) that have a significant focus on online communities/connections between people? Don't really care what kind of online community (could be forums, chat rooms, MMO, whatever), I'm more interested in stories exploring people's experiences of engaging with them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You mean like... Ready player one?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Kerro posted:

Any character-driven novels (or I guess non-fiction, if they are still primarily following a small number of characters) that have a significant focus on online communities/connections between people? Don't really care what kind of online community (could be forums, chat rooms, MMO, whatever), I'm more interested in stories exploring people's experiences of engaging with them.

Maybe try Data Dragon Danika? It starts as a litRPG story about playing an MMO, but shortly after leaving the tutorial area develops more of a focus on inter-personal relationships. Pre-existing and new relationships are significant elements, but not necessarily always the focus in the way I think you want. Some characters are real-life friends, maybe half are friends from previous games, others are new friends met in-game and a few are even people who first interact through the forums and only later meet in-game or real life.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Any books about the battle of Little Bighorn that are more narrative in style? I don't care about the discrepancies between the accounts of the various parties or anything, just something that tells the more-or-less what happened story.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Kerro posted:

"Catfishing on CatNet" by Naomi Kritzer is a cute, if a little bit twee, story about an online community devoted to sharing pictures of cats.
Except the forum admin is secretly an A.I.
Who is obsessed with cat photos.
It's light and good hearted

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Azhais posted:

You mean like... Ready player one?

I don't know if it heads more in the direction of what I was thinking of cos I couldn't get through the first chapter of Ready Player One, just wasn't for me.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm more looking for books set in the present or recent past (so not so much sci fi or fantasy themes) and focusing on people's real life experiences e.g with stuff like relationships, trauma, grief, loneliness, family etc.

The setting is not what I've described but the sort of books I love in this vein are stuff like Liz Moore's 'Heft' and 'The Unseen World'.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

ihop posted:

Any books about the battle of Little Bighorn that are more narrative in style? I don't care about the discrepancies between the accounts of the various parties or anything, just something that tells the more-or-less what happened story.

Evan S. Connell's Son of the Morning Star is a great read, although it's not a straightforward narrative. While it tells the story of the battle, it also frequently diverts to discuss the backgrounds of the various personalities (white and Native) involved in the battle.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ihop posted:

Selachian posted:

Evan S. Connell's Son of the Morning Star is a great read, although it's not a straightforward narrative. While it tells the story of the battle, it also frequently diverts to discuss the backgrounds of the various personalities (white and Native) involved in the battle.

This is also what I was going to recommend.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Thanks. I was trying to decide between that one, the Nathaniel Philbrick one, and A Terrible Glory.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

ihop posted:

There is always the classic Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, but its much more expansive than just Little Big Horn. Its a fantastic, and fantastically sad, read.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Kerro posted:

It's a short read, and not particularly straightforward, but No One is Talking About This by Patricia Lockwood. It's extremely online, but (especially in the second half) I found it sometimes absurdly touching. There's a good write-up here -
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/feb/12/no-one-is-talking-about-this-by-patricia-lockwood-review-life-in-the-twittersphere

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kerro posted:

The B plot of A Deepness in the Sky kind of takes place on space SA and that book kicks rear end so I recommend you check that out.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Teach posted:

It's a short read, and not particularly straightforward, but No One is Talking About This by Patricia Lockwood. It's extremely online, but (especially in the second half) I found it sometimes absurdly touching. There's a good write-up here -
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/feb/12/no-one-is-talking-about-this-by-patricia-lockwood-review-life-in-the-twittersphere

This sounds bizarre and kinda fun, I'll definitely give this a shot thanks!

tuyop posted:

The B plot of A Deepness in the Sky kind of takes place on space SA and that book kicks rear end so I recommend you check that out.

Space SA? I'm intrigued. Do I need to read the first book in the series to appreciate this one? Given it's a prequel set long before the first book I'm guessing I wouldn't miss too much?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kerro posted:

Space SA? I'm intrigued. Do I need to read the first book in the series to appreciate this one? Given it's a prequel set long before the first book I'm guessing I wouldn't miss too much?

I read A Deepness first and I thought that was a fine order to read them in. I also think its the best of the three.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Regarding the b-plot, are you sure you're not talking about A Fire Upon the Deep? That's the one with the galactic message board posts interspersed with the main plot.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ihop posted:

Regarding the b-plot, are you sure you're not talking about A Fire Upon the Deep? That's the one with the galactic message board posts interspersed with the main plot.

Oh right you are, I always mix those up for some reason.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I do too. I only noticed because I recently reread Deepness, thinking it was the one about the doggos. They're both great though, and the only plot link between the two is one of the main characters. Deepness gives a bit more of his backstory, but not as much as you'd like.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm going on vacation shortly, and my partner is looking for some book recommendations for lighter vacation reads. She wants something centered on heists or charismatic conmen (conpeople?), ideally nothing too heavy or dark. She loved Lies of Locke Lamora but is a little burnt out on sci-fi and fantasy, so something realistic and ideally relatively modern would be best. She also loves the shows Leverage and Better Call Saul, and the movies Catch Me If You Can and The Sting so something along those lines tonally would probably be great.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm going on vacation shortly, and my partner is looking for some book recommendations for lighter vacation reads. She wants something centered on heists or charismatic conmen (conpeople?), ideally nothing too heavy or dark. She loved Lies of Locke Lamora but is a little burnt out on sci-fi and fantasy, so something realistic and ideally relatively modern would be best. She also loves the shows Leverage and Better Call Saul, and the movies Catch Me If You Can and The Sting so something along those lines tonally would probably be great.

Doesn't qualify for the "relatively modern" tag, but ... Donald Westlake's Dortmunder books? They're the best light, funny heist stuff I know.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

MockingQuantum posted:

The Great Train Robbery is fantastic, arguably Crichton's best work. Based on a true story and all that.

E: but it's not modern as it's set in the 19th century

E2: the book for Catch Me If You Can is much better than the movie

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I remember Big Trouble being good if she wants something more comedy based

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

Donald Westlake wrote a ton of these, the creator of Leverage was a big fan of his. The Dortmunder series is precisely light hearted heists. Drowned Hopes is probably the best one. But every one after that is very readable as well.

Elmore Leonard is great for that Better Call Saul vibe.

Lawrence Block can be very light especially his Bernie Rhodenbarr books (although they're more murder mysteries featuring a burglar) and the John Keller series.

Thick as Thieves by Spiegelman should be good as well.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 8, 2022

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

regulargonzalez posted:

The Great Train Robbery is fantastic, arguably Crichton's best work. Based on a true story and all that.

I remember at least one part of that book that is not fantastic at all.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Gnoman posted:

I remember at least one part of that book that is not fantastic at all.

Can you expand on this, maybe in a spoiler? I probably won't ever read it but if there's something really rough or lovely in the book I might warn her away from that one.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

fez_machine posted:

Donald Westlake wrote a ton of these, the creator of Leverage was a big fan of his. The Dortmunder series is precisely light hearted heists. Drowned Hopes is probably the best one. But every one after that is very readable as well.

Elmore Leonard is great for that Better Call Saul vibe.

Lawrence Block can be very light especially his Bernie Rhodenbarr books (although they're more murder mysteries featuring a burglar) and the John Keller series.

Thick as Thieves by Spiegelman should be good as well.

Thanks for these! How are the earlier books? Should she skip straight to Drowned Hopes? Looks like our library has The Hot Rock available, but most of the other ones are out.

Thanks everybody for all the recs, I'm sure she will find something she likes in all of these!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

Thanks for these! How are the earlier books? Should she skip straight to Drowned Hopes? Looks like our library has The Hot Rock available, but most of the other ones are out.

Thanks everybody for all the recs, I'm sure she will find something she likes in all of these!

The earlier books are, naturally, dated but I don't remember anything horribly offensive about them. The Hot Rock is still a lot of fun even if it's showing the years. Don't watch the movie version, though. (I have yet to see a movie adaptation of any of the Dortmunder books that isn't crummy, alas.)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Which version of the Ramayana should I read? Is it useful to have a version with notes on the side or similar?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Usually I ask for more specific recommendations but this time I'm going to ask a broad question and see what falls out:

What would you recommend if I want a well-written power fantasy?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

ahobday posted:

Usually I ask for more specific recommendations but this time I'm going to ask a broad question and see what falls out:

Popular Hits of the Showa Era by Ryu Murakami

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

MockingQuantum posted:

Can you expand on this, maybe in a spoiler? I probably won't ever read it but if there's something really rough or lovely in the book I might warn her away from that one.

Sorry, I haven't opened this thread in a bit.

Chapter 19 of The Great Train Robbery involves obtaining an important key by sending someone to seduce the person carrying it. The girl sent is 12 years old, and this is rather played up in the narration.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ahobday posted:

In the graphic realm at least, I'd say Fist of the North Star, Invincible, Batman: Year One and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. And One Piece. Also Kurt Busiek's Conan comic run, which adapts some of Robert E. Howard's short stories. Or Howard's stuff, though I haven't read Howard yet myself.

For a novel, I don't have one myself yet. That Drizzt guy in The Crystal Shard is pretty cool. I haven't read most of his stuff, or finished that book though. The Princess Bride is a classic swashbuckler.

As far as alternative morally ambiguous power fantasy, say Death Note, or a book about some political power figure etc, a king or something, that could be an angle as well. But an rear end kicking person of vengeance/justice via comics is the main avenue I know of. But plenty of books could fit I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ahobday posted:

Fantasy in the sense that it’s fictional and vaguely historical, but I really enjoyed the first few books in The Baroque Cycle. Quicksilver is the first one and I think they get real adventurous after the second.