Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
it might be this edible but I’m loving dying at “volcanoville” going up in flames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Who could have seen this coming? Resident of Volcanoville after home destroyed by fire

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
final fantasy rear end town name

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"I don't know why they won't insure my house in Floodburg, LA!"

"I know how you feel, I'm in the same boat here out in Landcrack, CA."

(not actual places - that I know of)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Real hurthling! posted:

are they protected from liability from the fires cause they seem expensive

They have money so yes they are immune to consequences.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Real hurthling! posted:

are they protected from liability from the fires cause they seem expensive

no, if pg&e lose a multi-year court battle, they may have to pay out after murdering a town full of people. the actual people who made the decisions are immune to any prosecution

pg&e then gets to raise rate to pay for any settlements from burning down towns. and any executives involved has long fled with their bonuses

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

jetz0r posted:

no, if pg&e lose a multi-year court battle, they may have to pay out after murdering a town full of people. the actual people who made the decisions are immune to any prosecution

pg&e then gets to raise rate to pay for any settlements from burning down towns. and any executives involved has long fled with their bonuses

The electric utility equivalent of murder cops' lawsuits getting paid out of the general fund which can only be replenished by raising regressive taxes on the people the cops are murdering

Aka the circle of life

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Who could have seen this coming? Resident of Volcanoville after home destroyed by fire

on big island lelani estates got destroyed by the volcano, but the town named "volcano" was fine

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/RobMayeda/status/1568072467599749122

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

slave to my cravings posted:

final fantasy rear end town name

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Zq95YQGnY

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Stereotype posted:

on big island lelani estates got destroyed by the volcano, but the town named "volcano" was fine

volcano is a nice humble name, estates makes it sound like "look at how classy we are"

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool GOES-East image from tonight, US flanked by two cyclones

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I don't think I've ever seen a red flag warning covering most of the Pac NW before:

I guess it just hasn't rained in forever and everything dried out and high winds are coming.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm the Air Quality Alerts around all the metro areas of Texas

e: even El Paso lol :gas:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
[Kelly voice]: Passing gas.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a red flag warning covering most of the Pac NW before:

I guess it just hasn't rained in forever and everything dried out and high winds are coming.

It's been so dry in Seattle that all my plants look sad af and my eyes are hurting.

It's cooled down finally but just so drat dry. Even my native plants are pissed.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

It's been so dry in Seattle that all my plants look sad af and my eyes are hurting.

It's cooled down finally but just so drat dry. Even my native plants are pissed.

hoses are nature's rain

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The Oldest Man posted:

hoses are nature's rain

I take care of some area that's kind of gray area down in a ravine that no one else ever clears ivy and other weeds from. Hoses don't reach all that way.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
California passed a PG&E bailout bill shielding them from any liability from fires they cause, in the wake of them annihilating Paradise and murdering 84 people. They give Gavin Newsom piles of cash

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/PCG...0Ieur-seIrKFG9O

It is of Number, it shall not be infringed

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

OK baizuo posted:

Cool GOES-East image from tonight, US flanked by two cyclones

huh, I didn't know you could see the state lines from space

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

huh, I didn't know you could see the state lines from space

The city lights are fake too :ssh:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

SirPablo posted:

The city lights are fake too :ssh:

I knew it! All those bs claim about light pollution always seemed awfully sketchy to me. Like how could frigging LIGHT be a pollution? 🤣

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The lights are a background image from different satellites, the GOES-16/17/18 ABIs are not sensitive enough to cleanly measure city lights like that. They can pick up the faint glow from big cities if there is a low cloud blanket or fog, but that's about it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
actually they're all fake. government is just making those images up. we don't even know what the US looks like, it could be shaped totally different

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The US might not even exist

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Paradoxish posted:

inshallah

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
has this been posted here yet? I scrolled through Aug 24-26 in this thread

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/24/opinion/houston-flooding-climate-change.html

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Paradoxish posted:

it exists but it's shrinking

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Satellite imagery from 1932?

Wake up, sheeple.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1568429073851994113?s=20&t=vY5Jv-0s_ocOsRdKm-tnpQ

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

They also said we are better prepared for pandemics because of our vast wealth and robust public agencies hahahah hahah ahhahaaahaha

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1567548350035070976

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Steve Yun posted:

has this been posted here yet? I scrolled through Aug 24-26 in this thread

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/24/opinion/houston-flooding-climate-change.html

The article, surprise surprise, is unrelated to the headline. The article is all about how "Managed retreat" a government program for helping people leave disaster prone areas needs to get more focus and resources that are currently going to rebuilding in disaster prone areas.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Had a pretty dry moderate windstorm yesterday

Woke up early this morning and the moon was the color of a penny

Oregon is on fire again!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Cloks posted:

it exists but it's shrinking

Inshallah

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Had a pretty dry moderate windstorm yesterday

Woke up early this morning and the moon was the color of a penny

Oregon is on fire again!

Yup, I got up at 6 this morning only to be surprised that my living room was orange. It was super windy yesterday, with a ton of dust blowing around everywhere, and when I got home my wife told me that there was a fire advisory and I was like.. hoo boy.

At least it’s exciting : )

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

eternalvictory posted:

Yup, I got up at 6 this morning only to be surprised that my living room was orange. It was super windy yesterday, with a ton of dust blowing around everywhere, and when I got home my wife told me that there was a fire advisory and I was like.. hoo boy.

At least it’s exciting : )

Yeah the wind yesterday kind of reminded me of Santa Annas (although pretty mild version) so I’m not surprised but between a fire in estacada and one by Salem the whole area is just socked in with smoke. Hopefully doesn’t get as bad as 2020 but I think it’s supposed to be windy again today :ohdear:

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah the wind yesterday kind of reminded me of Santa Annas (although pretty mild version) so I’m not surprised but between a fire in estacada and one by Salem the whole area is just socked in with smoke. Hopefully doesn’t get as bad as 2020 but I think it’s supposed to be windy again today :ohdear:

the wind has been insane!

a friend in estacada sent us a pic of a playground on fire near his house this morning and was like "huh, maybe I should be leaving?"

everything is orange and flat outside like a sad fanta :catstare:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BoothBaberGinsburg posted:

a haunting description :ohdear:

Be safe dear goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

BoothBaberGinsburg posted:

the wind has been insane!

a friend in estacada sent us a pic of a playground on fire near his house this morning and was like "huh, maybe I should be leaving?"

Yeah I read there’s a level three out there. I’d definitely get out. It’s just getting darker as the morning goes on. I hate it