Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Disney takes from today:

*My “never enter the state of Florida during these months” list is gonna have to grow to include September, the mornings and afternoons are too drat hot for a cold-blood like me. October is fine, anything after that or through April and possibly the beginning of May is fine but I feel like I literally could not live in Florida based on weather alone.
*Guardians ride slaps. It feels like a modernized version of Space Mountain with music, which I’ve always thought would make that ride better.
*the pricing on those infinity stones/gauntlet are wild, if you want to collect them all it costs more than a wand or a lightsaber which feel more personal and special, it feels borderline mean
*I think the skyliner may be my favorite mode of transportation at Disney now, it’s so chill and breezy. I’m staying at the Beach Club this trip and its already great proximity to Epcot is even better now that you’re also closest to the superior way to get to the Studios
*I understand why they do them but the every day housekeeping check-ups are no good, they almost always come during my rest period and spook me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

*I understand why they do them but the every day housekeeping check-ups are no good, they almost always come during my rest period and spook me

Does Disney not have “Do Not Disturb” signs to hang on your door? Does housekeeping ignore them if present?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Those signs trigger the checks. It's as a result of the Vegas shooter. If you just let housekeeping do their thing then they don't knock just to make sure you're not stockpiling weapons.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Doing Halloween Horror Nights tonight, hyped. We got the sept pass, hoping to see all of them a few times.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Those signs trigger the checks. It's as a result of the Vegas shooter. If you just let housekeeping do their thing then they don't knock just to make sure you're not stockpiling weapons.

In the US the standard is to have staff see the inside of the room at least once a day. If housekeeping comes in then that counts, if the room has DND out then they'll knock on the door and let themselves in if there's no response and the door isn't locked from the inside. If the door is locked from the inside then they'll escalate, every property does it differently and it usually involves phone calls and a manager visiting the room but it will end with security overriding the door if the guest is unresponsive.

They would often do daily checks on DND even before the Las Vegas thing and give you 2-3 days before knocking on the door but it's now advertised as policy to do it daily.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

DC Murderverse posted:

Disney takes from today:

*My “never enter the state of Florida during these months” list is gonna have to grow to include September, the mornings and afternoons are too drat hot for a cold-blood like me. October is fine, anything after that or through April and possibly the beginning of May is fine but I feel like I literally could not live in Florida based on weather alone.

lemme tell you about early-mid October. hell on earth in Florida.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

100 degrees feels the same in October as it does in August.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

That's wild, since you essentially log into parks they should do the checks then, but I guess that would take too much time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

That's wild, since you essentially log into parks they should do the checks then, but I guess that would take too much time.

They generally do them during housekeeping hours, 0800-1600 or so in most places. If you're taking a break in the middle of the day they may come in while you're there. You can let the front desk know "hey I'm going to be using my room from 2-4 this afternoon, can you check on it before then" and that usually works, and if you pay attention to when housekeeping visits your room earlier in the week you may determine that they do your end of the hall first and so you can just take the DND down when you leave in the morning and put it back up for the couple of hours you're back in your room.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
In terms of “how gross is the weather in Orlando?”

January: 1/10 (the only month it will likely be cold rather than warm)
February: 1/10 (could be cold or warm)
March: 3/10 (could be kinda gross but could be perfect)
April: 4/10 (you can still wear pants)
May: 6/10 (you’ll need shorts)
June: 8/10
July: 9/10
August: 10/10
September: 9/10 (10/10 for the first half, gets better near the end
October: Still 8/10 until the last week or so
November: 7/10
December: 5/10

It could be cool anytime from Late November through mid-April and could be cold November through March. Expect daily storms from June through September.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Doing Halloween Horror Nights tonight, hyped. We got the sept pass, hoping to see all of them a few times.

I’ve only done 5 of the houses so far but do not miss Dead Man’s Pier, I think it’s easily one of the best of all time. The sets are beautiful and their size/scope is crazy.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Just finished up at Jaleo for the second time, quickly rising to become a favorite. Spanish cuisine is fairly uncommon so it’s a nice change of pace and they’ve got so much good stuff, it’s great to bring a bunch of people and share things. Patatas Bravas slap

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Growing up in Chicago, I have distinct memories of thinking I wars going to die from the summer heat in Orlando. I live in St. Louis now and when we went in early September, I definitely thought “oh this is hot but no worse than back home.”

It’s amazing what you can get used to.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

January is my favorite time to go to Disney. Catch that sweet spot after Marathon Weekend but before Mardi Gras. Weather's great. We have had some pretty warm January trips, though. We swam and it wasn't crazy to do so, like low 80s, but so much more manageable without the insane humidity.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Unless you go during a cold snap, like we did last January. It was in the 50s and 60s with lots of rain and wind. It was still fun because it was Disney, but it meant a lot less to do on resort day, since we couldn’t go to the pool.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I’ve only done 5 of the houses so far but do not miss Dead Man’s Pier, I think it’s easily one of the best of all time. The sets are beautiful and their size/scope is crazy.

We did 4 tonight in about 3 hours (and some walking around to see scare zones and stuff)

Universal Legends was disappointing. The all-mummy theme was dull, and it was mostly walking through kinda generic halls with a random wolfman and dracula. There was one really good moment with a mirror trick but otherwise forgettable house.

Hellblock Horror was another forgettable b-tier house and wasted the scary prison premise. 1 or 2 good rooms and a bunch more halls.

Descendants of Destruction was pretty cool, going underground through subway service tunnels to subterranean spooks with some good blacklight sets gave it a good arc.

Spirits of the Coven was the best of the night. Prohibition era + Salem witches is a fun combo.

Looking forward to the Halloween, Bugs Eaten Alive, and the Chubacabra houses. The Weeknd house is possibly the dumbest theme and the "hollywood is scary" premise sucks, but it might still be a good house because of budget. Scare Zones were mostly good, especially the scarecrow area and old timey halloween festival with campy costumes mixed in. The edgy metal/not-Rob Zombie area sucks. Corn-monster is probably the best thing we've seen so far.

Overall the houses are a noticeable step down from 2019, but I hope the remaining ones impress more.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeah universal monsters houses are always the worst. There was that one a few years ago everyone loved? Easily the worst house that year.

Hellblock Horror I’ve heard is this year’s “oh poo poo” replacement. I think it was supposed to be the Evil Dead house but plans fell through. Similar to the Purge house we got instead of a Scream house.

I’m probably not getting the frequent fear for the first time in like ten years but it was way too hard to make it out often last year with a newborn. I’m probably going to do the Unmasking the Horror tour instead.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish there was more IP houses. I’m not into the original stuff as much as some fans.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
My thoughts on my first visit and 5 of the houses:

- Dead Man's Pier - easily one of the best houses they've ever done. The way it really feels like your traversing through a village, in and out of buildings, complete with a lighthouse towering above everything, and actual rain effects and somber music is just amazing. They've been learning harder and harder into atmosphere over scares and I think this is the next step of that, as evidenced by the fact that none of the scareactors are particularly startling or gruesome.

- Bugs - Really fun and unique concept but I felt the execution was a bit of a letdown. It's setup like a 1950's/60's corporate expo exhibit demonstrating the air conditioning product that's also supposed to kill bugs, but instead makes the bugs thrive and attack humans. But the expo setup is gone after like the first two rooms from what I remember. I was also hoping the actors would have grotesque giant bug costumes on but instead they're mostly humans that have bugs hatching out of their skin or something. Still pretty good.

- Legends - HHN houses that use a standard horror setting or premise typically give it a subversive twist ("witches but they're 1920's flapper girls!"). But here it's JUST generic ancient Egypt scenery and mummies. Wolfman and Dracula don't really appear much and it would be better if they weren't there at all. They rotate which one "wins" nightly I guess.

- The Weeknd - The concept kind of works but also kind of doesn't. It feels like it should be a walkthrough withOUT actors, or at least without jumpscare attempts. Its like the jumpscares are only there because this is HHN and that's what they do. I was also hoping the music would be blasting but it isn't.

- Hellblock Horror - apparently was supposed to be an IP house but that fell through. It shows - this is a really bad house with a lot of the sets looking like local haunted house level and creatures that are random, unexplained and make no sense.

- This year the background music is rockabilly/psychobilly. At first I felt it was too upbeat and cheerful but it quickly grew on me. It feels fresh and fun, and "sp00ky event so play metal" is so played out. In 2018 and 2019 IIRC they used synthwave, so it was disappointing to go back to thrash metal in 2021.

- The house attendants are no longer trying to rush you through the houses and this is a really good change. Always hated how there's all this detail that they didn't want you to take in.

So, what I've seen so far, one amazing house and four subpar houses. I don't think it's just because I've seen this event 12 times, the houses of the last several events left me with only disliking one or two. I also really wish they would experiment a little more - in some of the houses like The Weeknd and Dead Man's Pier the jumpscares actually detract from the experience because the set design has gotten so good that they're more like high quality walk-through dark rides now. Keep performers but lose the jumpscares, or scale them back, at least. Not for every house of course, but changing it up this in way for some would be beneficial IMO.

CelticPredator posted:

I wish there was more IP houses. I’m not into the original stuff as much as some fans.

This is weird to me. The original houses are almost always way more creative and detailed while the IP houses often seem restrained.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I only care about riding the movies. I go to the IP houses because it’s things I love come to life.

The original houses are okay but they won’t get me to feel anything as powerful as the trick r treat house did for me

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Midjack posted:

In the US the standard is to have staff see the inside of the room at least once a day. If housekeeping comes in then that counts, if the room has DND out then they'll knock on the door and let themselves in if there's no response and the door isn't locked from the inside. If the door is locked from the inside then they'll escalate, every property does it differently and it usually involves phone calls and a manager visiting the room but it will end with security overriding the door if the guest is unresponsive.

They would often do daily checks on DND even before the Las Vegas thing and give you 2-3 days before knocking on the door but it's now advertised as policy to do it daily.
I never noticed it on previous trips to the USA, and the only reason I became aware of it is everyone at DefCon 2018 flipping out on Twitter when people started knocking on their doors for the first time ever :shrug:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Good lord

https://twitter.com/theentconnect/status/1566673712308318208?s=21&t=tueVbTSe6s3L7p7tqd6OUA

They really need to re-think Jack’s horrifying half mask. I realize his proportions are a lot more bizarre than Ernesto’s but I have to think if these sorts of full face prosthetics are in bounds they can do better.

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

This is weird to me. The original houses are almost always way more creative and detailed while the IP houses often seem restrained.

I feel the same way but also wish they always have one house like last year's Beetlejuice house. Fun, nostalgic, and not at all scary.

I've got a Frequent Fear pass and went opening night, but only did one house (Spirits of the Coven) and the Nightmare Fuel show before calling it quits for the night. The house had amazing scenery but wasn't at all scary (to me) and the show was very similar to last year's just with different music and they went a bit more extreme on some of the acts (fire dancers especially). I enjoyed it a lot and can't wait to go back for more houses.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Looks like the short-lived Goonland forum is closed, so posting this here.

Cedar Point is retiring Top Thrill Dragster. It's a little ambiguous what that means, but it doesn't sound like a full teardown. Comedy option is to wrap it in a building and revive Disaster Transport.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/rides-experiences/top-thrill-dragster

quote:

We have an important update to share regarding our Top Thrill Dragster roller coaster.

After 19 seasons in operation with 18 million riders experiencing the world's first strata coaster, Top Thrill Dragster, as you know it, is being retired.

However, Cedar Point’s legacy of ride innovation continues. Our team is hard at work, creating a new and reimagined ride experience.

We’ll share more details and information at a later date.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Comedy option is to wrap it in a building and revive Disaster Transport.

:sickos:

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

January: 1/10 (the only month it will likely be cold rather than warm)
February: 1/10 (could be cold or warm)
March: 3/10 (could be kinda gross but could be perfect)
April: 4/10 (you can still wear pants)
May: 6/10 (you’ll need shorts)
June: 8/10
July: 9/10
August: 10/10
September: 9/10 (10/10 for the first half, gets better near the end
October: Still 8/10 until the last week or so
November: 7/10
December: 5/10

It could be cool anytime from Late November through mid-April and could be cold November through March. Expect daily storms from June through September.

After 10 years of living in FL (Bradenton and Tampa), this tracks 100%. The only real difference between September and October is that the likelihood of severe afternoon thunderstorms plummets around the first week or two of October. However, I had to announce the postponement or cancellation of football games several times in October over the years because of tropical storm activity.

Also, one week from today I'll be at sea on the Disney Wonder!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Probably taking the service dog to Disney and get covid at a mnsshp (and gods knows what else). Crowds are basically the same any weekday yeah? I'm eyeing a Tuesday right now.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
I’d recommend to anyone who has a magic key to drop by Disneyland or DCA during these super hot days if a reservation is available. The ride wait times look high in the app but it’s really pretty dead here, to me it seems about equal or less crowded than a really cold rainy winter day. I’m sitting by that bridge to Pixar pier right now and the amount of ppl crossing each minute is probably in the low dozens, compared to a couple weeks ago when it was a constant shoulder to shoulder wall of people crossing at all times. Of course it’s the slower season now anyway, but it seems like the boiling heat is discouraging a noticeable chunk of locals from bothering to come by.

On the flip side it’s really hot and everyone looks like poo poo and I doubt this would be fun for more than a couple hours, but for a short visit it’s worth seeing DCA as quiet as it’s been during daylight hours since reopening.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

On the flip side it’s really hot and everyone looks like poo poo and I doubt this would be fun for more than a couple hours, but for a short visit it’s worth seeing DCA as quiet as it’s been during daylight hours since reopening.

We usually go on Sundays, and this weekend looks perfect! Except for D23, so we are staying away for another weekend.

I wonder what the stats are on Magic Key folks opting against renewals. Enough to affect park numbers?

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
Totally anecdotal based on Reddit and twitter threads: Disney managed to work their magic and updated the terms for magic keys in a way that perfectly maximizes complaints and profits while barely crossing any lines that would actually dissuade anyone from renewing.

And tbh it’s really not that bad, the die-hards were going to flip out at literally any change, but overall a couple cost and benefit tweaks here and there spread out over the twelve-month life of a magic key purchase won’t really break the bank or alter the experience.

Maybe I’m an outlier but I’d probably still get them for the fam if the changes were MUCH more costly. Like I was saying I’m just hanging out in DCA on a whim today because I’ve been cooped up working at home all week and my in-laws are watching the kids. It’s something like 50 bucks a month for me to be able to say “eh I guess I could drive over to a magical world-class theme park for the afternoon”. I’d wager for every Fresh Baked “how dare chapek disrespect us passholders :qq:” person there’s 100 people like me who would gladly renew for whatever they’re asking. Of course there’s a limit to that but it’s not even close right now. I’m sure they have the analytics on the average MK buyer and the median buyer is probably some 100k+ household in LA or OC county. Not exactly the type to think about <$100 here or there.

Kind of a rambling response but tldr I doubt there will be a measurable dip in annual pass purchasers. It’s still a good deal.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

I’d recommend to anyone who has a magic key to drop by Disneyland or DCA during these super hot days if a reservation is available. The ride wait times look high in the app but it’s really pretty dead here, to me it seems about equal or less crowded than a really cold rainy winter day. I’m sitting by that bridge to Pixar pier right now and the amount of ppl crossing each minute is probably in the low dozens, compared to a couple weeks ago when it was a constant shoulder to shoulder wall of people crossing at all times. Of course it’s the slower season now anyway, but it seems like the boiling heat is discouraging a noticeable chunk of locals from bothering to come by.

Is Fantasmic not running every day in DLR? I tried to book a Fantasmic dinner thing for November and that day wasn't available. Not fully booked, just not available. I picked the day and regardless of the restaurant in the drop-down it didn't show any times at all. I tried other days and even if it was fully booked I could at least pick a time and then get informed it was full.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The website is showing Fantasmic at DLR is only running on Friday, Saturday and Sunday

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is the weather stupid hot in Florida too? I’m gonna be there in eight frigging days and I really thought the tail end of September would be in the pleasant low 80s.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CapnAndy posted:

Is the weather stupid hot in Florida too? I’m gonna be there in eight frigging days and I really thought the tail end of September would be in the pleasant low 80s.

Stupid hot? I don’t know. It’s going to be hot though, and it’s going to rain every day so it’s going to be super humid. High 80’s probably and unpleasant

We thought we were smart and went to Orlando in mid October in 2018 and it was hot as hell.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We're still in mid 90s with well over 100 heat index and 90%+ humidity. Sometimes it feels better at night, but the humidity really stops that too.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
hahaha loving keen god dammit

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

CapnAndy posted:

BWAHAHAHA! No. I'm headed down tomorrow and it's supposed be hot, humid, and raining every single day. Typical Florida in September.

It doesn't start getting "pleasant" in Florida until early December.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If Capn is lucky, it won’t quite hit 90 in Orlando. But low 80s? No.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Usually the last week-ish of October will have some nights where you need a hoodie, but it's still typically muggy and wet until mid November. Even then, November and December can be a wildcard. I remember last December it had been quite cold and dry in the first week but then New Years Eve felt like right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

To be completely fair to myself, I also did not expect to have access to lovely low 80s weather in Philadelphia the week I left, but here we are. Global warming is a bitch.