Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
She’s essentially Tracy Jordan from 30 Rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So I watched the first two episodes of Pantheon, its really good.

Although, I laughed when the protagonist somehow uploaded 40tbs in a few minutes at most. (which is also supposed to store her dad).

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’ve seen az copy do some upsettingly fast transfers before, but yeah that was pushing it. I’m vaguely irked about the bad guy cube’s inner design, but that’s mostly due to having been in actual data centers and being aware of some do the design considerations there.

The extremely accurate copying of real world electronic UI stuff is kind of odd to me, but not in a bad way. I’m fairly sure the /x/ 4chan website that was briefly shown was literally a screenshot of the website that someone had tweaked the html to show a different name.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Oh, I forgot to mention that I spotted a neat little Easter egg in Pantheon on Maddie's desktop. There is a shortcut to a youtube video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MSEsh6jgHE

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
Pantheon is really good. I absolutely loved the first episode but the second episode kind of hosed me up a bit (there’s a rather gruesome scene, more in a psychological sense than a literal one, but definitely both). I’m looking forward to the next episodes though, I just hope they get a little less… graphic.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I gave Tuca & Bertie a shot twice and couldn't stand it, so it's weird seeing that one of the key people behind it is an active danger to society. I just hope she gets held accountable for the harm she's caused and gets help before she does more.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Is this where we talk about Rick and Morty? I think the season premier was the best episode ever.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Lammasu posted:

Is this where we talk about Rick and Morty? I think the season premier was the best episode ever.

Yah it was really good.

Par-MEE-see-en

Gross. I hate it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We have a Rick & Morty thread in TVIV and at least two active goons who draw on the show post in there from time to time. It’s a good thread.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1567905916695072768

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Is this the thread to talk about Bee & Puppycat? I'm not really sure who that show is for to be honest.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I'm enjoying Harley Quinn well enough but this season feels like they fired all the women in the writing room. It's not the end of the world, Harley has always been a male fantasy, but the earlier seasons were fun enough that it didn't bother me as much. This season it has been much harder to ignore.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

2nd Amendment posted:

I'm enjoying Harley Quinn well enough but this season feels like they fired all the women in the writing room. It's not the end of the world, Harley has always been a male fantasy, but the earlier seasons were fun enough that it didn't bother me as much. This season it has been much harder to ignore.

Yeah, the "Honeymoon" episodes really felt like "how guys think women married to each other act."

Just take solace that it's not as bad as the League of Their Own series. I know that's not animated, but maybe if it had been they could've animated them playing baseball instead of making out every ten minutes.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Hexmage-SA posted:

Is this the thread to talk about Bee & Puppycat? I'm not really sure who that show is for to be honest.

Neither do the show runners.

Always came off as a bad "Teen on deviant art really wants to make an anime" hodgepodge.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I watched a bit of Bee and Puppycat on YouTube and didn't get what it was going for at all. It seemed like a particularly aimless Adventure Time or Steven Universe story but stretched to an entire show concept.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Screw y’all, B&P is wonderful. :argh:

It’s mainly a vibes-based show that uses a lot of dream logic so I can see why people might not be into it. It looks fantastic though and it’s weirdly dark sense of humor gets consistent laughs from me. Mostly though I just love how different it feels from anything else out there. It’s like a weird blend of studio Ghibbli, Animal Crossing, and Revolutionary Girl Utena that’s completely unashamed of doing it’s own thing.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Hexmage-SA posted:

It’s definitely geared towards adults who grew up with shoujo anime from the 90’s. They even got the old VA from the original Sailor Moon dub.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

It’s definitely geared towards adults who grew up with shoujo anime from the 90’s.

Yeah that's kind of the vibe I got from the trailer, but I'm still not that interes-

quote:

They even got the old VA from the original Sailor Moon dub.

I'm in.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

readingatwork posted:

It’s definitely geared towards adults who grew up with shoujo anime from the 90’s. They even got the old VA from the original Sailor Moon dub.

:aaa: THAT's why they sounded so familiar.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Watched the first two Bee & Puppycat episodes on Netflix, it is firmly & squarely aimed at the Steven Universe crowd, but with more of the energy of Adventure Time, and maybe a little more, uh, fluid, like if you took Steven Universe/Adventure Time and added a tiny smidge of Invader Zim.

I really love the art style but every character being this completely muted level of energy in dialogue makes the pacing feel absolutely glacial. Ironically the only character who sounds real is the computer AI. Excellent sense of comedic timing though, I giggled and snorted a bunch. Will def be finishing at some point.

Basically if you like any of the Rebecca Sugar twee cutesy stuff then you should give it a try.

My personal spicy take is “It’s Steven Universe but GOOD”

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
+1 on being not getting Bee and Puppycat. It's not bad, but I don't get what it's going for at all and has given me no reason to go past the second episode.

It may just that I read the above posts before giving it a try, but it's absolutely like someone found a venn diagram of the small handful of things that didn't work for me in Adventure Time and the small handful things that didn't work for me in Steven Universe and decided that would be their show. It's honestly impressive how they threaded that needle.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Watched the first two Bee & Puppycat episodes on Netflix, it is firmly & squarely aimed at the Steven Universe crowd, but with more of the energy of Adventure Time, and maybe a little more, uh, fluid, like if you took Steven Universe/Adventure Time and added a tiny smidge of Invader Zim.

I really love the art style but every character being this completely muted level of energy in dialogue makes the pacing feel absolutely glacial. Ironically the only character who sounds real is the computer AI. Excellent sense of comedic timing though, I giggled and snorted a bunch. Will def be finishing at some point.

Basically if you like any of the Rebecca Sugar twee cutesy stuff then you should give it a try.

My personal spicy take is “It’s Steven Universe but GOOD”

Steven Universe's plot basically stalled completely after season 1. There were arcs of course, but they meant as much to the overall plot as anime filler arcs. Despite the story going nowhere, it started focusing a lot more on it and the comedic elements weren't as prevalent. The super stretched out release schedule made it less obvious because people were happy when any new content came out.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Steven Universe's plot basically stalled completely after season 1. There were arcs of course, but they meant as much to the overall plot as anime filler arcs. Despite the story going nowhere, it started focusing a lot more on it and the comedic elements weren't as prevalent. The super stretched out release schedule made it less obvious because people were happy when any new content came out.

That... is a really weird way of describing the plot of Steven Universe.

The first episode of Bee & Puppycat seemed fun; I'm not sure how long it will be able to keep up with its usual comedy mode of "do exactly the opposite of the take the audience expects."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It's about loving time.

Never should have left in the first place, but I'm glad it's back.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I haven't watched the Netflix one yet, but saw the entirety of the original Bee & Puppycat. It was going for chill, cute, and indie comedy- both in awkward humor and occasional unexplained bizarreness.

It reminded me of Wristcutters which, despite the name, I thought was dear. Just something to make you smile and feel a little better after watching it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Das Boo posted:

I haven't watched the Netflix one yet, but saw the entirety of the original Bee & Puppycat. It was going for chill, cute, and indie comedy- both in awkward humor and occasional unexplained bizarreness.

It reminded me of Wristcutters which, despite the name, I thought was dear. Just something to make you smile and feel a little better after watching it.

Holy poo poo, it's so rare I find another person who's watched Wristcutters.

And yeah, that's the feeling I got from the movie as well. The title made me except an edgy black comedy, but instead I got a life affirming road trip through purgatory.

I still think about the "it can only happen when it doesn't matter" small miracles sometimes. I'm not sure why that bit of magic realism stuck with me so hard, but it did. The the whole concept invoked a very specific nameless mood in me.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's about loving time.

Never should have left in the first place, but I'm glad it's back.

If I recall they made a episode making fun of boston because of the moonite bomb. The higher ups said if that episode ever leaked the show was done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mwYnxbHShg&t=434s

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Holy poo poo, it's so rare I find another person who's watched Wristcutters.

And yeah, that's the feeling I got from the movie as well. The title made me except an edgy black comedy, but instead I got a life affirming road trip through purgatory.

I still think about the "it can only happen when it doesn't matter" small miracles sometimes. I'm not sure why that bit of magic realism stuck with me so hard, but it did. The the whole concept invoked a very specific nameless mood in me.

:hfive:

I don't know why I ever watched it with that title, but I'm very glad I did even a decade later. You're right that the mood it evokes is nameless, but there's definitely some happiness in there. It's so special in such a mild way.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Das Boo posted:

Wait. There’s a new B&P on Netflix?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Steven Universe's plot basically stalled completely after season 1. There were arcs of course, but they meant as much to the overall plot as anime filler arcs.
....huh???

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

They stopped focusing on Beach City and the only good part of that show were the extremely deep cuts to niche DelMarVa coastal culture like square pizza and Ocean City MD boardwalk fries. (/s)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

AlternateNu posted:

Wait. There’s a new B&P on Netflix?

Sort of, they are basically retelling the story but with a much, much higher budget

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Jasper plot has a whole lot of build-up, then its resolved and Jasper vanishes for a long time with the status quo not changing much after the arc is wrapped up. The Cystal gem at the core of the world has a whole lot of build-up, is dealt with, and then things return to status quo again. I admit, I haven't finished Steven Universe completely. I think I stopped watching around the time the Bismuth arc concluded, so maybe the plot actually starts progressing at some point. That doesn't change the fact that it spends a long time with the plot going nowhere.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Crain posted:

They stopped focusing on Beach City and the only good part of that show were the extremely deep cuts to niche DelMarVa coastal culture like square pizza and Ocean City MD boardwalk fries. (/s)

The square pizza was Pennsylvania.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Jasper plot has a whole lot of build-up, then its resolved and Jasper vanishes for a long time with the status quo not changing much after the arc is wrapped up. The Cystal gem at the core of the world has a whole lot of build-up, is dealt with, and then things return to status quo again. I admit, I haven't finished Steven Universe completely. I think I stopped watching around the time the Bismuth arc concluded, so maybe the plot actually starts progressing at some point. That doesn't change the fact that it spends a long time with the plot going nowhere.

So, a lot of stuff happened, but it doesn't count as plot for some reason?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

The square pizza was Pennsylvania.

She put it in "Not Pennsylvania" but it's Ledo's and I'll hear nothing against this theory.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

If it doesn't change the status quo yes. Like I said it was like anime filler arcs. Things happen, but they don't actually have long lasting effects and characters don't bring them up. At least not for a long time.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Rand Brittain posted:

I can't speak for him exactly, but I think it's more accurate to say that Steven Universe grew into a different kind of show than people thought it was going to. Jasper's arrival is a tone shift for the series, and it feels like there's going to be a much more severe conflict with the gem homeworld and the Diamond Authority. That never really materialized--and that's not like, a failure of the writing, but it's going to leave some people waiting for something that's never going to come. Instead, you get something that's a lot more about Steven having to come to terms with who his mom really was, and what she did.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Crain posted:

This except no /s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Ironically one of the big issues Steven Universe had was due to it mostly dropping the "Monster of The Week" format after the first two seasons that it used to use for many of the non plot episodes, not to mention they started more heavily segregating "Gem Stuff" and "Townie Stuff" in episodes so it results in a lot of episodes in Seasons 3 to 5 feeling kind of dull and pointless if they don't directly connect to the main plot(particularly since as mentioned they kind of fumble hard when it comes to many of the plots that aren't the main one surrounding the Diamonds), like sure a sizable chunk of Seasons 1 and 2 could arguably be considered "filler" as well but at least you'd generally have something Gem related to make things interesting towards the end of an episode otherwise mostly involving Steven helping out Townies