Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

e: wrong thread, poo poo! rear end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

from reddit:

Well, I guess that explains some things. Geez.

lmao. a streacom take on the meshlicious sounds incredible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
do these people not have lawyers review their contracts or what

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That's not exactly accurate. The people running SSUPD broke contract and Wahaha360 (FormD T1, Meshilicious designer) is suing them.

Independent of that Necere had pretty much decided that market forces meant the current M1 design wasn't up to scratch. Compatibility was becoming an issue, the NR200 was a better price value, etc, etc. W360's lawsuit was just the extra push to stop production and switch to someone else.

Post in thread 'NCASE M1 V6 info' https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/ncase-m1-v6-info.10687/post-266600

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

This link shows how ATX fitment will be in the Mushroom S. SFX PSU only and a longer riser cable needed that you probably have to buy separately. Pretty interesting that you can still fit a 240 AIO though.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0504/5652/7032/files/MeshroomS_Guide_add.pdf?v=1661486543

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 31, 2022

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TufZxo8f3SI

Lol why did they move the power button to the back of the case

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Does this look like a reasonable build? Don't mind paying up to about 150 EUR more if I'm getting a lot for it. I don't think I've missed anything (after a last minute addition of an SSD)

It's my first PC build so I decided to stay away from the A4-H20, even though it's a little smaller, since I don't really need to save that extra bit of space. Having a PSU and AIO already chosen and installed seemed like a decent option given the lack of a price premium and the hefty PSU.

I could wait a couple of months to see if prices go down on the 30xx cards when the 40xx are announced but have no idea what sort of drop to expect.

e: I already have a 1440p 60hz screen that I'll be using for the foreseeable future. I'd like to be able to get through my back catalogue of games like Control which I've never been able to run properly on a laptop.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 4, 2022

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

distortion park posted:

Does this look like a reasonable build? Don't mind paying up to about 150 EUR more if I'm getting a lot for it.

Looks good and decently balanced apart from you could save a little on the SSD by getting something like the Sn570 for no appreciable loss in performance and reinvest that in the RAM getting 32GB instead.

Also that motherboard is stupid expensive, the b550i Aorus Pro Ax from Gigabyte is what I have in my nr200 but checking availability in France it seems all the ITX b550 boards are expensive so maybe you're stuck there. Although that Rog Strix is €40 cheaper on French amazon according to pcpp so maybe try that.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

Looks good and decently balanced apart from you could save a little on the SSD by getting something like the Sn570 for no appreciable loss in performance and reinvest that in the RAM getting 32GB instead.

Also that motherboard is stupid expensive, the b550i Aorus Pro Ax from Gigabyte is what I have in my nr200 but checking availability in France it seems all the ITX b550 boards are expensive so maybe you're stuck there. Although that Rog Strix is €40 cheaper on French amazon according to pcpp so maybe try that.

Thanks! It's very depressing reading posts with USA prices, the premium here feels huge.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

distortion park posted:

Thanks! It's very depressing reading posts with USA prices, the premium here feels huge.

I live in Luxembourg and was able to choose either France or Germany to order my parts from as Luxembourg post has a pickup service in both countries. Invariably everything was cheaper in Germany, idk why you get extra stiffed in France.

But yeah very much green eyed monster at microcenter in the US and their ridiculous deals.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

I live in Luxembourg and was able to choose either France or Germany to order my parts from as Luxembourg post has a pickup service in both countries. Invariably everything was cheaper in Germany, idk why you get extra stiffed in France.

But yeah very much green eyed monster at microcenter in the US and their ridiculous deals.

I do hate how the EU+UK have their tech prices treated as $1 = €/£1, though with recent exchange rates that might as well be true.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ijyt posted:

I do hate how the EU+UK have their tech prices treated as $1 = €/£1, though with recent exchange rates that might as well be true.

They get even better than that, I just checked microcenter and they have a 5600 at 150$ and a 3060 ti at $450. I get that you're meant to pay sales taxes on top but my understanding is that no one does?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

distortion park posted:

They get even better than that, I just checked microcenter and they have a 5600 at 150$ and a 3060 ti at $450. I get that you're meant to pay sales taxes on top but my understanding is that no one does?

You absolutely pay sales tax, if you live in a state that has it. Some online retailers in the past have used the fact that they're based in no-tax states to get around this, but all the major ones have been bullied into charging sales tax. Physical retail stores in a state with tax have to charge it otherwise they will get in some very serious trouble. If you do manage to find a retailer that doesn't charge you tax (there are still some), you are required to report that on your taxes and pay it then. This is the thing that absolutely nobody does.

That said, sales tax in the US is thankfully pretty mild. It ranges from around 5 - 10%, with some states being 0%.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I think that depends on the state of the vendor. I believe I heard that amazon chose its location specifically so that it could service most of the US without paying sales tax as it wouldn't have to pay sales tax for out-of-state sales. In essence it had (legally) the same tax advantage AliExpress had (illegally) until a short time ago. But I'm recalling through several layers of foggy memory.

You absolutely pay sales tax, if you live in a state that has it. Some online retailers in the past have used the fact that they're based in no-tax states to get around this, but all the major ones have been bullied into charging sales tax. Physical retail stores in a state with tax have to charge it otherwise they will get in some very serious trouble. If you do manage to find a retailer that doesn't charge you tax (there are still some), you are required to report that on your taxes and pay it then. This is the thing that absolutely nobody does.

That said, sales tax in the US is thankfully pretty mild. It ranges from around 5 - 10%, with some states being 0%.

Ah see someone wrote something smarter than me.

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

Someone talk me out of doing a 3060ti build in this case:

https://densium.net/products/densium-4-plus-v2

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

Pork Chops Aplenty posted:

You can do whatever you want in life. But you will need to dust frequently… those are some large holes.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Pork Chops Aplenty posted:

hold off til mid next year I wanna post the first build in this one itt

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Every day I wish designers like FormD etc. would stop going SMALLEST POSSIBLE for cases and design something space efficient that doesn't compromise on 2.5" drives or needing a magic combination of fan sizes and stand-offs to fit something as basic as a 280mm AIO.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Sata drives go into the NAS. It's the m.2 age, old man

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ijyt posted:

Every day I wish designers like FormD etc. would stop going SMALLEST POSSIBLE for cases and design something space efficient that doesn't compromise on 2.5" drives or needing a magic combination of fan sizes and stand-offs to fit something as basic as a 280mm AIO.

There are cases at every possible size right now. Getting mad that a handful of manufacturers are trying to push the limits of compactness instead of making everything big seems weird. Just get one of the many other cases that fit your needs instead?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

There are cases at every possible size right now. Getting mad that a handful of manufacturers are trying to push the limits of compactness instead of making everything big seems weird. Just get one of the many other cases that fit your needs instead?

Lol @ "getting mad". Please point me to actually good cases that slot between the 4-10L of ultra SFF and the 24L of mainstream SFF, anywhere close to the quality of what FormD, Louqe, etc. put out.

Also please show a diagram of your mental gymnastics where me asking for higher end slightly roomier cases suddenly makes your shoebox not exist?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ijyt posted:

Lol @ "getting mad". Please point me to actually good cases that slot between the 4-10L of ultra SFF and the 24L of mainstream SFF, anywhere close to the quality of what FormD, Louqe, etc. put out.

Also please show a diagram of your mental gymnastics where me asking for higher end slightly roomier cases suddenly makes your shoebox not exist?

You specifically asked for case designers to stop designing such small cases. I'm not sure how else you're supposed to interpret that?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

You specifically asked for case designers to stop designing such small cases. I'm not sure how else you're supposed to interpret that?

maybe not quite so anally! idk try it on might make you more approachable

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Arzachel posted:

Sata drives go into the NAS. It's the m.2 age, old man

I want a NAS that only takes m.2

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TheMadMilkman posted:

I want a NAS that only takes m.2

4 PCI-E slots all populated with M.2 expansion cards each holding 4 M.2 drives.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

ijyt posted:

used ncase m1 @ 12.7L. It won’t fit a 280 radiator but it will fit a 240 fine and frankly 280 isn’t a basic part

if you’re asking why the cutting edge hype designers aren’t doing m1 derivatives any more, it’s because that space is very crowded now and it’s so hard to stand out that even the original m1 is out of production

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Incidentally the next M1 is going to be even smaller: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/formd-x-ncase.17774/

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It all depends on the "quality" requirement which is completely arbitrary, but just off the top of my head:
  • As a reference point the Lian Li's A4 H20 is 11 liters and takes a single 2.5" drive with a 240 mm radiator, this is a shoebox that I'd consider the minimal size that's feasible for modern hardware without having to jump through a ton of hoops with mandatory custom cables, external PSUs, external custom loop cooling or having half the GPU hang out of the case.
  • The upcoming Dan C4 SFX is <14 liters and comes with 280 mm radiator support and room for two 2.5" drives.
  • The Lian Li Q58 and Meshlicious are both <15 liters, for 280 mm radiators and up to four places to put 2.5" drives.
  • The Mueshroom S will also be <15 liters, support two 280 mm radiators and up to seven 2.5" drives.
  • Coolermaster NR200 is <19 liters for up to 280 mm radiators, can take up to three 2.5" drives.
  • Also at the upper limit around/just below 20 liters, Lian Li will release the A3 ATX which is aiming for 360 mm radiator support, but this will take a while to come out.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

You can add Node304 to that list. 19 Liters and fits a big tower cooler and six 3.5" drives or four with a long video card.

E: Oops missed the aio requirements

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
the only compromise i make on 2.5" drives is whether im gonna double sided tape it to a panel or just let it freeball in the case. nobody should care about 2.5" drive mounting in 2022.

also the meshlicious suports 280mm aio's and 2(?) 2.5" drives.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 9, 2022

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

orcane posted:

It all depends on the "quality" requirement which is completely arbitrary, but just off the top of my head:
  • As a reference point the Lian Li's A4 H20 is 11 liters and takes a single 2.5" drive with a 240 mm radiator, this is a shoebox that I'd consider the minimal size that's feasible for modern hardware without having to jump through a ton of hoops with mandatory custom cables, external PSUs, external custom loop cooling or having half the GPU hang out of the case.
  • The upcoming Dan C4 SFX is <14 liters and comes with 280 mm radiator support and room for two 2.5" drives.
  • The Lian Li Q58 and Meshlicious are both <15 liters, for 280 mm radiators and up to four places to put 2.5" drives.
  • The Mueshroom S will also be <15 liters, support two 280 mm radiators and up to seven 2.5" drives.
  • Coolermaster NR200 is <19 liters for up to 280 mm radiators, can take up to three 2.5" drives.
  • Also at the upper limit around/just below 20 liters, Lian Li will release the A3 ATX which is aiming for 360 mm radiator support, but this will take a while to come out.

C4 looks interesting, NR200 definitely wouldn't go in terms of fit and finish compared to anything CNC'd though - as much as I love this case and how easy it is to disassemble it isn't exactly flush fit anymore.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
streacom da2 is near the center of that size envelope but is not to everyone's taste. 280mm aio fits easy, custom loop with both 280 and 240 is the challenge build. at times the rail mount system feels easy and convenient and at times it feels like maddening bullshit. i/o is silly and impractical but like just get a keyboard and monitor with usb passthrough. definitely on the expensive side but not out in absolutely goofy territory

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Lemme show off the cool lights on my gpu, cpu and ram and I’ll take care of cooling with an external rad. That’s why the M1’s ports for external cooling were so rad.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Coredump posted:

Lemme show off the cool lights on my gpu, cpu and ram and I’ll take care of cooling with an external rad. That’s why the M1’s ports for external cooling were so rad.

Or you got one of those cool IceMan pump-res combos that you mounted to the back like a saddle bag and used the internal mounts for your radiators. I'm still very happy with my dual rad Ncase.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just really want the C4-SFX to come out already because the A4 is neat but not big enough for today's GPUs and CPUs. I mean, it runs them and it's not losing much performance, but I know I DO lose performance by restricting PPT and I would like to be able to pick from more than three GPUs per type.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Same. My PC is in the living room and I’d like to downsize it without having to seriously compromise on component choice.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Dark horse option Sugo 14 has been treating me well.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

There are a lot of reports saying the 4000 series cards are huge. RIP SFF.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

VulgarandStupid posted:

There are a lot of reports saying the 4000 series cards are huge. RIP SFF.

at least the power draw isn't crazy high like what some people were speculating. my 750w is what nvidia recommends for the 4080 16gb... if i can get a FE. i'm assuming the AIB cards will have higher recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The FE PCBs will be the same size as last time so guess its time to water block em and do a custom SFF loop. :getin:

(to be clear i wont be doing this because im a coward and SFF open loops look hard)