Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

This seems haram

https://twitter.com/AZmilitary1/status/1567657762699546624

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
loving magnets—in all sincerity, how do they work?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

ah that explains why f35s are always having problems, the Chinese are sabotaging a vital component

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

crepeface posted:

ah that explains why f35s are always having problems, the Chinese are sabotaging a vital component

hilarious if true

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Spergin Morlock posted:

hilarious if true

It's not. They admit as much.

quote:

Company spokeswoman Laura Siebert said magnets on F-35s already delivered will not be replaced with magnets made from non-Chinese materials because the Pentagon has decided the magnets are safe for flight and do not put sensitive program information at risk.

Russell Goemaere, a spokesman for the F-35 JPO, confirmed the magnet doesn’t transmit information or endanger the plane, and said flight operations for F-35s already delivered and in service will continue unchanged.

But due to a concern about compliance with the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement, or DFARS, the F-35 Joint Program Office has ordered the Defense Contract Management Agency to stop accepting F-35s for now.

Some contractor probably tried paying bottom rate for equally good Chinese materials and fudged the paperwork. China processes 80% of the world's cobalt.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

eSports Chaebol posted:

loving magnets—in all sincerity, how do they work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO0r930Sn_8

apologies if :thejoke:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

it's very difficult to swallow this narrative of Duterte as a dictator when he stepped down peacefully after his one constitutionally-mandated term-of-office and handed-over power to a duly-elected successor.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Ah, but only because he was stood up to. Duh!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Amal Clooney can't be wrong, she's named after a carburetor!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's not. They admit as much.

they did by reversing the polarity (putting the 'N' on the other side)

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Good developments along the India / China border. Hopefully its a sign of where the Xi/Modi meeting will head.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/in-breakthrough-indian-chinese-troops-kick-off-disengagement-from-pp15-101662642655131.html

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

have fun kamala!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
As long as BJP is in charge, China is more valuable as a looming thread than a development partner. It's going to be a talk-talk-minor incident-talk cycle for the next 5 years.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Nah, the BJP has been turning inwards for a while sniffing for secret pakistanis, leftists and the like. The BJP also has an iron grip on mainstream media and can possibly spin us giving up all of our claims away from ladakh as a big brave decision.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

You literally do not have to create a threat when you can just use the rest of the subcontinent as a threat.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Like who are you going to use as a threat? Bangladesh? They have been doing better than us for a bit. Pakistan is getting stale as a beatstick. Maybe the big bad Bhutan is going to come next.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
COMMUNIST NEPAL

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
No one cares. Whipping up a red scare minus china is next to impossible lol.
>oh so you mean we can just take the means of production for hourselves and get to brutalize rich folks for it? Sign me up.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

HiroProtagonist posted:

have fun kamala!

So loving funny to me that she's gonna miss Queen E's funeral for this.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://twitter.com/nathanlawkc/status/1567918313119928324

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

KirbyKhan posted:

So loving funny to me that she's gonna miss Queen E's funeral for this.

They are going to send Kamala's husband.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

stephenthinkpad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Jack Emhoff

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Honestly the greatest indiment of Hong Kongers

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

KomradeX posted:

Honestly the greatest indiment of Hong Kongers

lol i told my mum and she was like "yeah, guess Diana finally can rest in peace"

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I have friends with relatives in Hong Kong and that that tweet is 100% how they feel. “they grew up under the queen”

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i found this old story searching for pics of Queen and Xi. apparently their meeting had some disappointing moments.

quote:

Queen Elizabeth II Says Chinese Officials Were ‘Very Rude’ on State Visit
May 11, 2016
transcript
Queen Elizabeth on Chinese State Visit

Queen Elizabeth II was filmed saying that Chinese officials were “very rude” during President Xi Jinping’s state visit to Britain last year.

London 10 May 2016 In the garden of Buckingham Palace Lord Chamberlain, The Earl Peel: “Can I present Commander Lucy D’Orsi, Gold Commander when the Chinese State visit..” Queen: “Oh, bad luck” Lord Chamberlain, The Earl Peel: “...who was seriously undermined by the Chinese.” 2. D’Orsi speaking to the Queen UPSOUND: Commander Lucy D’Orsi, Metropolitan Police: “I’m not sure whether you knew, but it was quite a testing time for me..” Queen: “I did.” D’Orsi: “It was, er, ...I think at the point that they walked out of Lancaster House and told me that the trip was off, I felt that ...” Queen: “They were very rude to the Ambassador.” D’Orsi: “They were - yes. Barbara, she was with me - and they walked out on both of us. It was very rude and undiplomatic I thought.”
Queen Elizabeth II was filmed saying that Chinese officials were “very rude” during President Xi Jinping’s state visit to Britain last year.John Stillwell/WPA, via Getty Images

BEIJING — British garden parties are not known as occasions for blunt talk, especially if they take place at Buckingham Palace.

But on Tuesday, Queen Elizabeth II, clad in bright pink, had a frank exchange about China on her palace lawn with a Metropolitan Police commander, Lucy D’Orsi. They spoke of conflicts that unfolded in London in October when President Xi Jinping of China and his entourage made a state visit to Britain, and at one point, the queen referred to the visiting officials as “very rude.”

A transcript of that exchange is below.

First, before hundreds of onlookers, the queen, 90, was introduced to Ms. D’Orsi by the Lord Chamberlain, Earl Peel, who serves as head of the royal household.

Ms. D’Orsi spoke of an episode in which Chinese officials stormed out of a meeting with her and Barbara Woodward, a longtime diplomat and the British ambassador to China. She called it “a testing time.” The queen commented, “They were very rude to the ambassador.”

The remarks were included in a video of the party that a longtime palace-approved pool cameraman recorded for the palace. The video was officially distributed to journalists and has been posted online.

The BBC reported that there had been no official reaction from the Chinese authorities, but that coverage had been censored, with BBC World TV blocked in China during its report of the conversation.

The British and Chinese governments have spoken of a new “golden era” of relations between the two countries. Mr. Xi’s state visit was supposed to symbolize the strengthening of ties, especially commercial ones. Mr. Xi posed for press photos with Prime Minister David Cameron at a pub in Buckinghamshire, England. The two men held pints of beer up to their lips.

On Wednesday, Western journalists attending a regularly scheduled Ministry of Foreign Affairs news conference in Beijing asked a spokesman about the queen’s comments.

The spokesman, Lu Kang, said that Mr. Xi’s visit to Britain had been “extremely successful” and that it had “launched a golden era” in relations. He also said he did not know of any threats by Chinese officials to cancel the trip.

In June 2014, Premier Li Keqiang met with the queen at Windsor Castle. The Times of London had reported earlier from Beijing that Mr. Li and fellow Chinese officials had threatened to cancel his three-day visit to Britain if he did not get an audience with the queen. “The Chinese are hard negotiators,” an unnamed British government source told the newspaper.

In 2005, Prince Charles sued The Mail on Sunday for publishing a private journal he had written eight years earlier that included candid remarks about Chinese leaders. He was writing about the British handover of Hong Kong to China, and he described senior Chinese officials accompanying President Jiang Zemin to the ceremony in 1997 as “appalling old waxworks.”

Here is the transcript of the conversation on Tuesday:

Lord Chamberlain: “Can I present Commander Lucy D’Orsi, who was Gold Commander during the Chinese state visit…”

Queen Elizabeth: “Oh, bad luck.”

Lord Chamberlain: “… and who was seriously, seriously undermined by the Chinese, but she managed to hold her own and remain in command. And her mother, Judith, who’s involved in child protection and social work.”

Commander D’Orsi’s mother: “Yes, I’m very proud of my daughter.”

Lord Chamberlain: “You must tell your story.”

Commander D’Orsi: “Yes, I was the Gold Commander, so I’m not sure whether you knew, but it was quite a testing time for me.”

Queen: “Yes, I did.”

Commander D’Orsi: “It was, er, I think at the point that they walked out of Lancaster House and told me that the trip was off, I felt that…”

The Queen: “They were very rude to the ambassador.”

Commander D’Orsi: “They were. Well, she was, yes, Barbara, she was with me and they walked out on both of us.”

The Queen: “Extraordinary.”

Commander D’Orsi’s mother: “I know, it’s unbelievable.”

Commander D’Orsi: “It was very rude and very undiplomatic, I thought.”

(https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/12/world/asia/china-britain-queen-xi-jinping.html)

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 04:24 on Sep 9, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They kept handing her a broom and a dustbin. She thought they were being sexist even after they explained that it was their customary way of treating monarchs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm almost certain I've read something like this about Soviet delegations meeting with European imperialists. The whole 'they were so rude!!' thing really rings a bell.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Everytime I saw this woman on TV, she always looked pissed. Like in London Olympic.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mawarannahr posted:

i found this old story searching for pics of Queen and Xi. apparently their meeting had some disappointing moments.

(https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/12/world/asia/china-britain-queen-xi-jinping.html)

does it say why they walked out?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/coachchito/status/1568094633112276993
https://twitter.com/mantitoy/status/1568137468683374592
https://twitter.com/rolandmcjr/status/1568157374841606144

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
accented cinema did a review of RRR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Pac4cRbKI

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Oh, you think China is good? Well if they're so good, why is housing affordable there? Checkmate.

It's not.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

gradenko_2000 posted:

(Mental violence in the form of horrible loving tweets)

I don't know how you are able read these kind of takes from what I suppose are white colonizers and not immediately feel the strong urge to give their necks a good wringing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VomitOnLino posted:

I don't know how you are able read these kind of takes from what I suppose are white colonizers and not immediately feel the strong urge to give their necks a good wringing.

they're Filipinos, which is worse

there's a strong strain here of wishful thinking about how "if only it was Britain and not Spain, we could have been more like Australia or Canada"

or alternatively, "we should just become a US state", while thinking it means becoming like California or New York and not... like... Puerto Rico

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Like these guys are idiots. If the British empire had done like China is doing now and been trying to grow them introduce new, powerful provinces and integrate them as true citizens of their nation, they'd probably still have a big honking trade empire.

Live through cruelty, die through cruelty, to turn a phrase.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

VomitOnLino posted:

Based on the handles I think they're worse... compradors

The British did spend a lot of time creating a local comprador class to ensure someone could do the basic work. Nkrumah noted that more than a few people sent to England for school came back more English than the English

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

thechosenone posted:

If the British empire had done like China is doing now and been trying to grow them introduce new, powerful provinces and integrate them as true citizens of their nation, they'd probably still have a big honking trade empire.

But the empire was always primarily a system to loot the gently caress out of the colonies to enrich Britain and all pretenses to the contrary were just the bare minimum to stop the colonized from rising in open revolt. The cruelty was the entire point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

thechosenone posted:

Like these guys are idiots. If the British empire had done like China is doing now and been trying to grow them introduce new, powerful provinces and integrate them as true citizens of their nation, they'd probably still have a big honking trade empire.

I think the British really got lucky with India, which was a golden goose. So the Brits built their later strategies around maintaining India (including the great game wars against Russia and wars in Afghanistan, expedition in Tibet) and also was looking for new colonies like India, but they never found a similar golden goose ever again.

So the British empire probably could have lasted longer and fallen in more peaceful fashion if they never colonized India.