Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

mystes posted:

I've probably posted it before but this Guardian article about light rail outside of Baltimore is amazing just because there are all these people who have delusional beliefs that whenever there's a crime the culprit must have come in via light rail from Baltimore: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/aug/22/addicts-crooks-thieves-the-campaign-to-kill-baltimores-light-rail

even in this fuckheads made up story the problem is that the service stopped at night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

lobster shirt posted:

the idea that poor people are going to ride the bus into a rich neighborhood, steal a tv, and then get back on the bus with their stolen articles to go back home is so funny. people think it will happen though!

A few years ago an older coworker of mine said she was afraid of this happening if they ever built a train line near her neighborhood, which was like 30 miles out in the suburbs. Like she was 100% convinced

We don't even have passenger trains here, just a light rail that no one rides

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

the idea that poor people are going to ride the bus into a rich neighborhood, steal a tv, and then get back on the bus with their stolen articles to go back home is so funny. people think it will happen though!

Obviously a poor isn't going to ride into the suburbs and steal a TV.

They're gonna do drugs at people.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Im moving to Atlanta, and there isn’t a whole lot I can do about that, so please pour one out for me friends. I was wondering if anyone in this thread has ever lived there and thought that any part of the city had less hellish infrastructure or if I should just get in on the ground floor of the sky toll lanes in Cobb county

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

skooma512 posted:

Depends on the part and the car.

My thing is if I don't have a car I can't get to work, so that limits the amount of time I have to blindly wrench on things, undo, redo, undo,redo, and then giving up and going to the scammer anyway.

It sounds like you should really find a different mechanic

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
just watch a youtube video on how to fix something. done

or for real find one who doesn't suck. billy bob's big balls tire shack n stack is probably pretty legit but 'discount quickie automotive' is probably not.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
i just saw an absolutely gigantic orange lifted pickup truck parked in my neighborhood. i live in europe. has the big pickup truck brain disease broken containment?

also good god those things are legit scary. i always saw in the pictures but it hits different when you go up to it and the grille ends just about where my chest does holy poo poo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

IAMKOREA posted:

The other thing is the map of CZ only shows the main arteries. There are tons of little lines not shown going to all sorts of tiny villages.

The map of Illinois or Indiana or whatever garbage rust belt state that is? That's it man, that's the totality of passenger rail there.

Those little tiny villages are worth going to though

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

what a loving mentally ill state

*country, and yes

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wolfy posted:

Im moving to Atlanta, and there isn’t a whole lot I can do about that, so please pour one out for me friends. I was wondering if anyone in this thread has ever lived there and thought that any part of the city had less hellish infrastructure or if I should just get in on the ground floor of the sky toll lanes in Cobb county

For all of its problems Atlanta is still a major city with lots of good people and potential. If you're planning to live inside the perimeter around Decatur or Inman Park there is infrastructure like MARTA and the beltline. But if you're looking at the greater metro area like Alpharetta or Kennesaw you might as well get the biggest SUV you can find to steamroll your enemies. You'll be closer to the mountains in the northern suburbs though. And if you're in the Gwinnett area there's a big immigrant community and lots of good food.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

mystes posted:

I've probably posted it before but this Guardian article about light rail outside of Baltimore is amazing just because there are all these people who have delusional beliefs that whenever there's a crime the culprit must have come in via light rail from Baltimore: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/aug/22/addicts-crooks-thieves-the-campaign-to-kill-baltimores-light-rail

To be clear, the area south of the city (Glen Burnie) that has a handful of light rail stops is pretty well known for having a large contingent of local drug users and petty crime. The big difference is that it's more white than the city

The Baltimore light rail is in tatters anyway, anyone who would use it to commit a crime better be ready to wait 40 minutes for their train

Whole thing falls apart if you give it even 30 seconds of thought. poo poo, zipcars aren't that much more expensive than light rail

mystes
May 31, 2006

Not a Children posted:

To be clear, the area south of the city (Glen Burnie) that has a handful of light rail stops is pretty well known for having a large contingent of local drug users and petty crime. The big difference is that it's more white than the city
drat sounds like Baltimore should shut down the light rail to keep those people from glen burnie out

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

yet another reason to ban cars: they allow violent thugs to travel from the filthy inner city into hallowed suburban enclaves

mystes
May 31, 2006

webcams for christ posted:

yet another reason to ban cars: they allow violent thugs to travel from the filthy inner city into hallowed suburban enclaves
Really when you think about it they should just permanently seal the entrances to all the suburbs so nobody can get in or out, for safety

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That is my philosophy at this point. Let suburbanites live however they want as long as it's confined to the suburbs. Cities can move on without them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

webcams for christ posted:

ban cars because they allow white-collar criminals to travel to the inner city from their suburban enclaves

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

god drat lmao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mortons stork posted:

i just saw an absolutely gigantic orange lifted pickup truck parked in my neighborhood. i live in europe. has the big pickup truck brain disease broken containment?

yeah they have. I saw the same truck at my parents’ neighbors a few weeks ago in Asia (minor). it gets around. I saw a few others on the streets too, definitely wasn’t a thing I used to see. lol @ their gas prices, otoh they’re probably not too bothered.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i hope you put germans in 3rd class

We do actually. Seems like all of last month they let people book non-existant cars in the sleeping train to Berlin, I think? Have fun standing in the hallway.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

By god, a local business owner just endorsed a traffic diet outside her business. She said slower traffic would help people get there. They're learning!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

a small bit of good news for once, relating the street that goes downhill next to me that i've mentioned - apparently MNDOT already had a project to address this right before where the street went over I-94, and it will (hopefully) happen this fall. I added an inset showing the maps view. franklin ave SE goes downhill from right to left on the project map.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

a person who lives in the area made a site with a bunch of info. https://www.franklinsafe.org/pedestrians

he even did his own speed study!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

a person who lives in the area made a site with a bunch of info. https://www.franklinsafe.org/pedestrians

he even did his own speed study!

That's a huge loving sample size for one person with an iPhone. Dude is hardcore.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

there should be no class division in public transit. now I’m wondering, were there different classes of tickets in the Soviet Union? I suppose it doesn’t matter all that much but just wondering.

by the way, thanks for answering my questions about Houston zoning and pedestrians. sounds awful but not wildly different from elsewhere.

recalling how airliners demoed all first class and business class flights and it was a flop because it turns out first class passengers love watching the poor parade going to economy seating

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I almost got run over in a crosswalk again today lol. A van driver raced to turn in front of me so that he wouldn't have to wait for me, and the car driver behind him couldn't see me (because he was blocked by the van), so he had to swerve to miss me.

I'm not even trying to be dramatic. I've never had this many close calls so close together, and I've been commuting like this for years.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Blockade posted:

recalling how airliners demoed all first class and business class flights and it was a flop because it turns out first class passengers love watching the poor parade going to economy seating

some planes have passengers load at the second door so they don't even walk past the 1st/business class seats

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

BraveUlysses posted:

some planes have passengers load at the second door so they don't even walk past the 1st/business class seats

Probably because I kept unloading my spiteful farts while walking past first class.

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 00:06 on Sep 9, 2022

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

What even is the point of flying unless you cropdust first/business class?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i hate cars

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Last night as I was biking home from work, I yielded to a couple other cyclists on my right at a crossing. I was coming down from a hill pretty fast and probably could've made it through the intersection first, but I didn't want to be a dick and zoom right in front of them.

Turns out that was a really good call because a half second later a car traveling in the opposite direction made an abrupt, unsignalled left turn in front of me. I would've been loving toast.

gently caress cars

webcams for christ has issued a correction as of 14:28 on Sep 9, 2022

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

There was a crash on one of the main arteries into the city today that caused a 90 minute delay for commuters.

There's a crash like that on the roads coming in nearly every single day.

I'd probably off myself if I had to spend that much time in a car every day without any sort of relief.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

There was a crash on one of the main arteries into the city today that caused a 90 minute delay for commuters.

There's a crash like that on the roads coming in nearly every single day.

I grew up in central connecticut, which sucks for many reasons, but mostly because you need to take I-91 and I-84 to get anywhere - and practically every single day a truck would flip somewhere in the vicinity because CT gets 99% of NY -> New England's through-traffic.

If you need to drive any distance, you're flipping a coin as to whether a truck crash will tack 2 hours onto your trip

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I'm going for a bike ride :) it's going to be a bit chilly but pleasant

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Polo-Rican posted:

I grew up in central connecticut, which sucks for many reasons, but mostly because you need to take I-91 and I-84 to get anywhere - and practically every single day a truck would flip somewhere in the vicinity because CT gets 99% of NY -> New England's through-traffic.

If you need to drive any distance, you're flipping a coin as to whether a truck crash will tack 2 hours onto your trip

L.A works like this too.

Are you making a proper meal at home or microwaving taquitos? Play the 405 and see what you've lost.

Someone's van caught on fire the other day and I saw the smoke plume. Stopped traffic in all lanes for 10 minutes. See you tomorrow morning and see if you're staying at work to make up for being late because some dipshit flipped their truck

One of my genie 3 wishes would turning the sepulveda pass 405 into a veloway and only allows bicycles and ebikes on

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Suplex Liberace posted:

I'm going for a bike ride :) it's going to be a bit chilly but pleasant

went for a bike ride yesterday. saw some quail, turkeys, and rattlesnake. was pretty cool, riding bikes is good.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

The state of Indiana passed a law banning light rail specifically so Indianapolis couldn't build it. lmaoooooo

https://www.ibj.com/articles/light-rail-ban-is-shortsighted

what a loving mentally ill state

The worse part of the 90's to 2000's was the feeling that things we bad through a deliberate purpose, but because of how disposable and unsearchable TV and newspapers were, there was no proof.

Like it's that scene at the dinner table where the liberal arts major argued and lost arguments with the conservative uncle because the uncle could pull out obscure poo poo, random pop-news from the tv, or go "That's just the way THING ARE! HA!"

Cugel the Clever posted:

"Carceral urbanist" is a cool band name. Also the right short-term response to prevent dangerous people from murdering others, IMHO.

In other news, don't worry fam TxDoT got your back with a campaign to increase bicycle and pedestrian safety:
https://twitter.com/TxDOTPharr/status/1567555308762824708?t=qCeHaW9B0ZZXTxhvoqsfNQ&s=19

Block roads and put up signs.
"If you dumb gently caress drivers don't start playing nice we'll take away your roads."
And then just take away their roads anyways because blocking the roads shows how much nicer things are.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

can't believe this intersection has the most bicycle crashes in minneapolis

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I also hate motorboats.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

can't believe this intersection has the most bicycle crashes in minneapolis

I can't, either.

I'm surprised anyone rides a bike through that poo poo show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

skooma512 posted:

L.A works like this too.

Are you making a proper meal at home or microwaving taquitos? Play the 405 and see what you've lost.

Someone's van caught on fire the other day and I saw the smoke plume. Stopped traffic in all lanes for 10 minutes. See you tomorrow morning and see if you're staying at work to make up for being late because some dipshit flipped their truck

One of my genie 3 wishes would turning the sepulveda pass 405 into a veloway and only allows bicycles and ebikes on

It's funny how often this happens everywhere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqRx9nJJvKY