Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

ShoutokuTaisho posted:

The blue one translates to melancholy or depression, not sloth. Might be meant as the same, but there is importance in the nuance.

Weeeellll... back in the day, there was an eighth deadly sin, "Despair", which was a sin that since you are in a world that God created, you should never despair at being part of God's plan and thus taking yourself out of this plan (suicide) was a sin so that might have something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I was thinking about TQ's little imposed challenge, having Roland kill everyone he has a Memory card of in the Memories of the Library phase, and I'm just trying to think: What's the significance of all of those ones specifically?

Argalia, Iori, Olivier and Salvador were all people he knew personally. Yujin, he at least knew from a distance. He didn't know Xiao, but she does act as a mirror to him-she lost the love of her life in much the same way and sought revenge. Walter and Finn, and Tommy + Merry, he didn't know at all.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Finn I could see as just him accepting that he's going to commit atrocities in his pursuit of his revenge, and Tommy + Merry I imagine is more about how their love drove them to take a path filled with horror rather than any personal connection he'd have with them..

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Verant posted:

Finn I could see as just him accepting that he's going to commit atrocities in his pursuit of his revenge, and Tommy + Merry I imagine is more about how their love drove them to take a path filled with horror rather than any personal connection he'd have with them..

Tommy + Merry could be considered a parallel to his pre piano life.

Happy I double checked something I misremembered from Orlando Furioso. Pro tip: the Orlando from that story eventually came to be known as Roland in english.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The most I can think of for Walter is the replication of Roland's ambitions being more important than his safety-Walter pretty much only goes into the Library because info on the Distortion would let him curry favor and climb the ranks above Section 6.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
People have been fun talking about what Gregor will look like when his body goes Full Bug, from "Mini-kaiju", "person-sized cockroach skittering out on all his legs on the ground", and my personal favorite, "The gritty bio-punk City version of the OG Kamen Rider".

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1564936752024137729

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1564935537882206209

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1565636641523240960

Rabbit Heathcliff.

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1565642786635857920

Kurokumo Hong Lu (You can also see Rodion and Ryoshu in this).

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1565638266115997696

Superbiae means "Pride".

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1565638040177225728

Luxuriae means "Lust".

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1565643737547800576

Clashing now gives you more info.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Junpei posted:

I was thinking about TQ's little imposed challenge, having Roland kill everyone he has a Memory card of in the Memories of the Library phase, and I'm just trying to think: What's the significance of all of those ones specifically?

Argalia, Iori, Olivier and Salvador were all people he knew personally. Yujin, he at least knew from a distance. He didn't know Xiao, but she does act as a mirror to him-she lost the love of her life in much the same way and sought revenge. Walter and Finn, and Tommy + Merry, he didn't know at all.

I don't think it's about how they relate to Roland. Except for Argalia, everyone else in the list is either a friend/acquaintance, or someone (relatively) heroic or who otherwise didn't deserve to die in the Library. The memories might be representing all the people Roland regrets killing in order to get revenge on Angela. And then Argalia is there because he is that important an enemy to Roland; kinda hard to forget him.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
Well today was the day I learned the Limbus Company is going to be a Gacha. I am very depressed. Not only because I have trouble with Gacha games (keeping interest, I mean) but also because it's dangerous: Nippon Ichi's attempt to create a Gacha game caused them to spend so much money, it caused them to cut a lot of corners on their next game just to keep the company from bankruptcy. *glares at Disgaea 6*. I just hope it is translated okay.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

KobunFan posted:

Well today was the day I learned the Limbus Company is going to be a Gacha. I am very depressed. Not only because I have trouble with Gacha games (keeping interest, I mean) but also because it's dangerous: Nippon Ichi's attempt to create a Gacha game caused them to spend so much money, it caused them to cut a lot of corners on their next game just to keep the company from bankruptcy. *glares at Disgaea 6*. I just hope it is translated okay.

On the other hand after they fixed it it poo poo a lot of money apparently which is why they didn't bankrupt. It's the sad truth that Gacha games (specially of famous franchises) can be a goldmine at the expense of morals and customer appreciation.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I've mostly just made peace with this by reminding myself that Project Moon isn't a greedy megacorp trying to suck us dry, but a small independent studio who are doing this as a way to acquire ongoing funding. If I do buy anything, I can at least assure myself that it's going into making sure that the Distortion Detective visual novel, or Lob Corp 2, or that action-RPG they want to do in full 3D, are more polished and better-funded.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
it is still a genre designed to part people from money at any cost via gambling.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yes, I played Fire Emblem Heroes and Dragalia Lost F2P. I have the willpower to avoid going into debt for Faust in a bikini.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Ultimately, just cuz you got the will doesn't make it much better considering the number of other people out there who don't and really ought not partake in gacha. In any case, I imagine they ran the numbers and thought it was worth the risk to potentially tank any goodwill they earned over the years if it means keeping the lights on, but we'll see if that's actually the case since they've still got that TGS presentation to explain what their whole plan is. Until then, may as well wait.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
They haven't talked about money, just about wanting to do serial-style storytelling, which is a reason I really can believe here. Wonderlab, Distortion Detective, and Leviathan have all been serially updated, and Library of Ruina's early access was serially updated with a general schedule. But all of these are formats that eventually need to end, especially Ruina, which had returning characters that couldn't sit in serial plot limbo forever. So now they're doing Library of Ruina 2 with more levers, so that they can increase the available design space for new content without necessarily linearly increasing power.

And as far as games-as-a-service goes, the three models that have shown any real success are "MMORPG," "CCG" and "gacha." MMORPG and CCG are fairly restrictive, being fairly strict genres, while gacha is more free-wheeling. (Lootbox shooters probably qualify, for example.) So they went with gacha.

Now if we open up the game and there's a VIP system, multiple purchasable currencies, and a dozen "these packs only available for the first 48 hours!" messages, then yeah, I'll agree that they're looking to pick our pockets. But if they really do want to do serial storytelling in a game, then I can understand them picking this model for it.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
yeah, i've unfortunately come to terms with the fact that i can't play the game at all, because i know if i start on that sort of thing again, it's going to be way too easy to go from "well if i only buy one 'it's a new game!' pack, it's fine" to "but if i stop after putting in this much money, i've wasted all that money" and it's a hole i can't afford to dig myself back into. it's a real shame, as i enjoyed lobcorp and ruina a whole lot, and the characters in this one are also really intriguing so far. i understand it's for the good of the studio, but i also can't lie and say it doesn't hurt a bit to have to sit this one out.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
My ideal situation is that whenever end of service comes to this game, they will hopefully be in a possible position to release all of it as the complete thing for those who didn't want gacha and adjust poo poo around accordingly, but that's looking way too far ahead for something that very well may not pan out that way for various reasons.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Einander posted:

They haven't talked about money, just about wanting to do serial-style storytelling, which is a reason I really can believe here. Wonderlab, Distortion Detective, and Leviathan have all been serially updated, and Library of Ruina's early access was serially updated with a general schedule. But all of these are formats that eventually need to end, especially Ruina, which had returning characters that couldn't sit in serial plot limbo forever. So now they're doing Library of Ruina 2 with more levers, so that they can increase the available design space for new content without necessarily linearly increasing power.

And as far as games-as-a-service goes, the three models that have shown any real success are "MMORPG," "CCG" and "gacha." MMORPG and CCG are fairly restrictive, being fairly strict genres, while gacha is more free-wheeling. (Lootbox shooters probably qualify, for example.) So they went with gacha.

Now if we open up the game and there's a VIP system, multiple purchasable currencies, and a dozen "these packs only available for the first 48 hours!" messages, then yeah, I'll agree that they're looking to pick our pockets. But if they really do want to do serial storytelling in a game, then I can understand them picking this model for it.

I mean, they'll built up enough goodwill with good storytelling and interesting mechanics with me so that I'll try it out. I just get skittish around gatchas.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Speaking of, TGS is only about a week away, I'm pretty excited all things considered.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Einander posted:

How are MMORPG and CCG strict genres? The closest I can see to a common thread is that the former are mostly synchronous game worlds with everybody in the same space and the latter tend towards lobbies + small instanced matches, but they've both been pretty free-wheeling beyond that. This looks more like you're discussing financial models than game genres - subscription, pay for new content, or...gamble for content. Whichever way you were trying to go with it you also skipped over the moba world, which has seen pay for content, pay for content (cosmetic only), and gambling.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Irony.or.Death posted:

How are MMORPG and CCG strict genres? The closest I can see to a common thread is that the former are mostly synchronous game worlds with everybody in the same space and the latter tend towards lobbies + small instanced matches, but they've both been pretty free-wheeling beyond that. This looks more like you're discussing financial models than game genres - subscription, pay for new content, or...gamble for content. Whichever way you were trying to go with it you also skipped over the moba world, which has seen pay for content, pay for content (cosmetic only), and gambling.

Ah, right, MOBA. Forgot about those because I have literally never played one! Not a fan of the kind of game. :v:

I think we have different definitions on the strictness of genre. "Synchronous game worlds with everyone in the same space" feels like most of the way toward "strict genre" for me, because that has a strong impact on the sort of game that results. MMORPGs are generally not turn-based, for example, and they tend to have a lot of raid and coop-focused content, particularly at the endgame level. There's a similar impact on CCGs with the focus on deck-building that results from the method of card acquisition. Meanwhile, because "semi-random acquisition of new gameplay tools" has no demands on gameplay design other than a large variety of said tools, you have JRPG gacha and ARPG gacha and TRPG gacha and FPS gacha and rhythm game gacha. Arknights and Genshin Impact aren't in the same genre, but they're both gacha.

And sure, they could go an entirely subscription-based game for their game-as-service, but there aren't very many of those outside of the MMORPG space. The closest we really have is episodic games, but those are still discrete experiences, they're just smaller ones released more frequently. (Sometimes allegedly, on the "frequently" side.) And part of financial success in this sort of thing is people understanding and accepting your payment model, so if you're a smaller studio you probably want to stick to a path more traveled. In the game-as-service space, that's gacha or it's cash-shop/advertising/sell user data F2P.

It does kind of suck, and I'd rather have a $5 a month Limbus Company than a gacha one, but running a game-as-service as a small team these days does feel like a no-win situation. There's not really an ethical model for doing that out there right now.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm just going to enjoy doing side events that explain and fill out parts of the world. I'd love to learn more about specific Corps and Syndicates and Fixer Associations through our Sinners having to fight them in a new dungeon crawl event every 2 or so weeks, or short stories on a new Identity I pull.

How do the employees of J Corp or T Corp fight, how do they integrate their Singularities into their combat styles? What's up with the Middle and the Pinky, we don't know too much about them right now. What does the Tres, Cinq, or Oufi Association look like, how do they fight?

And this is all without getting into the various hooks that Leviathan and the Limbus pre-release info has laid down that gets me invested in Vergillius and the Sinner's stories.

I feel like Limbus has the potential to present a good mix of more worldbuilding and explanations of the City while still maintaining strong character growth and a 'main plot' like Ruina.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Isn't Destiny one of the biggest successes in the live service industry? You can quibble about whether it's a MMORPG, but that would imply a certain freewheeling looseness to what the gameplay loop of a MMO can be, right?

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Junpei posted:

I'm just going to enjoy doing side events that explain and fill out parts of the world. I'd love to learn more about specific Corps and Syndicates and Fixer Associations through our Sinners having to fight them in a new dungeon crawl event every 2 or so weeks, or short stories on a new Identity I pull.

I want to collect all the Colours.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Reiterpallasch posted:

Isn't Destiny one of the biggest successes in the live service industry? You can quibble about whether it's a MMORPG, but that would imply a certain freewheeling looseness to what the gameplay loop of a MMO can be, right?

Yeah, that's why it seemed like such a weird post to me. To the extent that MMORPG makes sense as a genre it includes first-person shooters (Destiny, Planetside), ARPGs (Path of Exile, Lost Ark), tab-target stuff like WoW and FFXIV, and oddballs like Eve. The CCG space maybe has a greater percentage of stuff that looks more similar, but it also includes Pox Nora which was the best SRPG of all time during its peak.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1568203562316083200?t=gWckog2OPabyzSQsqJp95g&s=19

If we start getting new Abnormality previews I'm gonna die. Also seeing a familiar friend on the right...

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Probe 17 posted:

If we start getting new Abnormality previews I'm gonna die. Also seeing a familiar friend on the right...

Butterfly on the right~
Somebody's gonna die~
He's saying hi~
His arm's a tie~
It's our boy Funeraaaaaal~

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1568220479324065795

Pretty fire moth on Ishmael.

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1568215597682675712

Meursault's got a gun! At least he does in the EGO Corrosion version on the right.

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1568180359514423296

Seven Association Ryoshu.

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1568136012416823297

WARP Meursault.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 9, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Probe 17 posted:

There also seems to be a Der Freischutz Abberation below Funeral.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The key thing that leaves me mostly okay with the gacha thing is that they're giving you access to all the characters and it's just cosmetics you pull for. From my experience with Dota/OW I know I can handle that.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Pigbuster posted:

The key thing that leaves me mostly okay with the gacha thing is that they're giving you access to all the characters and it's just cosmetics you pull for. From my experience with Dota/OW I know I can handle that.

Oof. About Overwatch . . .

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

What's the source on that? If they're actually taking the cosmetic monetization route I can be at peace with it, but it's important to remember that in a gacha context "skin" does not necessarily mean "cosmetic only" - lots of games have a nominally smallish pool of characters that are more or less all available to everyone by default, but every skin for a character comes with a completely different set of stats and abilities.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

from my experience with games like this with a set cast, they'll give you the base versions of these characters and if you want better versions/limited versions, since they implied pulling from different timelines (like warp cleanup crew faust), you'll have to gacha for those. after a while, it'll basically become necessary to do so once you hit the point where players' interest in the game outweighs the likeliness of them dropping it and quitting when the difficulty spikes. there's a lot of psychology that goes into stuff like this, game developers are even hiring people specifically for the purpose of monetization and how to do it most effectively.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The different identities 100% have their own abilities and stats or whatever, it's the whole point behind them, since you're not building decks for characters anymore.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I can't remember if I've asked these questions in the thread before, but I'd like some pointers on how to effectively use (Library of Ruina spoilers) The Red Mist's page, since people kept insisting it makes the game easy if you know how to use it properly. I could also use some pointers on Gebura's realization. I rarely make it past the first phase and have never passed the second. I want to do my best to beat this as early as the game lets me fight it, so no story reception pages past The Thumb, Red Mist, Liu Section 1, or Cane Office.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

other people might remember more specific stuff but the most important part is that you combine it with Myo's passive that adds power based on the speed differential, so that her infinite die becomes incredibly powerful, and her other high speed die just became normally very powerful, ensuring that the minimum damage requirements on her abilities are always hit

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Solitair posted:

I can't remember if I've asked these questions in the thread before, but I'd like some pointers on how to effectively use (Library of Ruina spoilers) The Red Mist's page, since people kept insisting it makes the game easy if you know how to use it properly. I could also use some pointers on Gebura's realization. I rarely make it past the first phase and have never passed the second. I want to do my best to beat this as early as the game lets me fight it, so no story reception pages past The Thumb, Red Mist, Liu Section 1, or Cane Office.
3xSpear, 3xLevel Slash, 3xSteel Knuckles, Myo's Prowess attributed (go beat the fight after Cane Office).

To make R Corp easier, you can attribute The Red Mist to someone on Yesod and then put the abno page that makes all your speed dice 1 on them.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Solitair posted:

As Gilliam said you want 3x Spear, 3x Level Slash, and 3x of whatever and myo's prowess, yuna's lone fixer, and health+mind hauler as passives.

The other librarians are usually 3x Udjat and a R-Corp Rhino with 3x Opportunity spotted and whatevery your latest light/drawtech is.

These guys will lose a bunch of clashes rapidly filling the bar with negative emotion coins. For your level 1 abnormalities you want Claws of Savagery and Vengeance. Then you pop Mountain of Corpses and go brrrrrr. She'll be adding 10-20 to every roll in a game where most people aren't even rolling d10s.

This will annihilate everything SotC and below other than Yan and Xiao (note: Binah will melt these), turning hour long slogs into 10-minute slaughters. It's particularly effective in three-phase fights like R-Corp, to the point that you'll likely want to feed a floor to the final phase to raise the emotion level as otherwise she'll kill them too quickly to get any books.

The realization is a bit more complicated as IIRC you can't use her ego before Big and Will Be Bad, although once you're past that it's a cakewalk. I think I beat it by backing her up with a bunch of more standard late SotC pages like Nikolai and Purple Tear instead of rushing mountain of corpses. If you're set on doing it early the same thing could probably be done using decent gold pages from the listed fights like Kalo and Bada, but I'm by no means a Ruina expert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Solitair posted:

Made progress in Ruina, finally. Made Red phase 1 tolerable by using Gebura's infinity die to get rid of the wolf's counter dice and boosting Red's strength with her mass attack. Came close to freeing a librarian in phase 2, but didn't quite manage it. Lost Gebura during phase 3, so I had no real chance during phase 4. I used Red Mist's page on Gebura, with an Allen and three Emmas, stacked with power passives for their type of damage and as many hauler passives as I could get. Thinking maybe I need to turn one Emma into a pierce specialist to help out with phase 4?

If the LP thread doesn't make Teequeue do this fight as soon as possible I'll never forgive them.