Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

And it's not like she personally provided resources and legal assistance to normal bloke Andy Windsor when he had legal troubles. Or had to sell off one of her many properties to finance a legal settlement for a woman that Andy Windsor did nothing to.

Nope, Queen Lizzie. Powerless to effect big changes. Had to maintain decorum and not go after any of the smaller wrongs.

You're not wrong. That said, I do wonder how compos mentis she was once the Prince Andrew stuff hit, since apparently Charles had been visiting her all summer due to 'concerns about her health'.

Edit: 1958. She'd been on the throne half a decade then and probably was a bit more compos mentis, also probably a fan of having an Empire still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Too many people clearly haven't learned their kings and queens from Horrible Histories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC6okzIKQvg
If anyone wants to get up to speed.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/hepcatsector/status/1568183806510927873

https://twitter.com/hepcatsector/status/1568189436948791298

https://twitter.com/hepcatsector/status/1568194052746801152

:allears:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Pretty easy to modify really,

William, William, Henry, Stephen
Henry, Richard, John, oi!
Henry, Ed, Ed, Ed, Rich two
Then three more Henrys join our song
Edward, Edward, Rich the third
Henry, Henry, Ed again
Mary one, good Queen Bess
Jimmy, Charles and Charles and then
Jim, Will, Mary, Anna Gloria
George, George, George, George
Will, Victoria
Edward, George, Edward, George six
and Liz and Charles then republics

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

feedmegin posted:

You're not wrong. That said, I do wonder how compos mentis she was once the Prince Andrew stuff hit, since apparently Charles had been visiting her all summer due to 'concerns about her health'.

Edit: 1958. She'd been on the throne half a decade then and probably was a bit more compos mentis, also probably a fan of having an Empire still.

Andrew was a well known sleazy piece of poo poo before he was hanging around with Epstein, who was first convicted 14 years ago. There are absolutely no questions about how aware she was that she raised a wrongun, she just didn't care.

The corgis are also known to be spoiled shits, so it might just be that the woman raised in an abusive and isolated system, in an incestuous child marriage to a nazi, who never interfered in politics apart from demanding her household be exempt from taxes and from racial discrimination regs, was just not a very good mother/grandmother/dog owner/person

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

smellmycheese posted:

Keith’s gone dark

Let's be honest, he's just turned his usual shade of grey down a few notches

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
People aren’t exactly lining the streets to greet The King as he drives through London for the first time. I’m finding it quite interesting how, apart from brands being hysterical on social media, people hardly seem to give much of a poo poo.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

This is not the time for being excited about things.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Answers Me posted:

People aren’t exactly lining the streets to greet The King as he drives through London for the first time. I’m finding it quite interesting how, apart from brands being hysterical on social media, people hardly seem to give much of a poo poo.

I’ve just walked through Romford town center. The place in the country you’d think was MOST affected by it. Absolutely nothing. Market in full swing, ask the pubs open, no flags out. People legit don’t seem to actually care that much

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

feedmegin posted:

I'll be a little fair, her da was a massive supporter of the empire dissolving and becoming a commonwealth, and I think she was happy to continue that legacy. Not saying this absolves the monarchy of the blood it spilled to make that empire, or that we don't exploit the poo poo out of the commmonwealth (and still haven't paid reparations).

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

I’ve just walked through Romford town center. The place in the country you’d think was MOST affected by it. Absolutely nothing. Market in full swing, ask the pubs open, no flags out. People legit don’t seem to actually care that much

The more modern concerns around "How am I going to keep my business open/prevent my family from freezing to death this winter?" is likely going to weigh more heavily than an increasingly irrelevant 1,000-year old concern.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/libcomorg/status/1568221342733828097?s=46&t=CgMyqWfPKTOw-DaVEiYC3g

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Lots of people paying their respects this winter by going hungry.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
But there's nothing more patriotically British than stealing from other people's cultures

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Just trying to separate the figurehead for the big, nasty, nonsensical institution from that big, nasty, nonsensical institution despite literally 70+ years of us being told they are one and the same, don't mind me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Most of the people I've talked to or seen in Canada are maybe a bit sad that the Queen's dead, but there's absolutely no love for the monarchy or the new king. Like, at all.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Headshot

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Incidentally it’s the same day of the year that Mao died, and there are lots of ultranationalist / incel types (our version of the ERG/Brexit wing) here in China who are super super mad that lots of normal chinese people are posting and commenting on the death of the Queen, a FOREIGN ENEMY MONARCH, on this of all days.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
All 'The Firm' stuff is a deliberately cultivated parasocial relationship, but it's also deliberately arms length. The devout royalists losing their poo poo will be far and few between because they've seen a closeness that isn't in the brand kit. What they've ended up with instead is a broader chunk of people who don't really care but also have a connection just a step higher than recognition.

So at this point you've got a big population of people who are sort of repeating the monkeys in the cage social experiment, except they're enforcing death rituals around propriety and decorum.

It's cool to acknowledge she's a poo poo person in private but it's easier to play nice for a few days while people go through their collective experience of "am I grieving? should we be grieving? what is there to grieve?" so you don't end up getting tackled by a bunch of outraged peers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Going to mourn the death of the communist leader by gathering outside the Do Not Mourn My Death I Am Just A Man The Revolution Is Eternal Also Please Don't Do Anything Weird With My Corpse mausoleum and ice cream shop. Again.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

PT6A posted:

Most of the people I've talked to or seen in Canada are maybe a bit sad that the Queen's dead, but there's absolutely no love for the monarchy or the new king. Like, at all.

That gif's too big to be a gang tag and we only just did new ones anyway

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DarkCrawler posted:

Wasn't the only William pretty successful?

I was referencing our William II. You know, the one who killed millions and then abdicated? It's relevant if you look up House Windsor's old name and realize something about the British monarchy :v:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/_georgina666/status/1568204394201481217?s=20&t=7PhX_Aw922KwE3cZVadSgQ

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Libluini posted:

I was referencing our William II. You know, the one who killed millions and then abdicated? It's relevant if you look up House Windsor's old name and realize something about the British monarchy :v:

Oh yeah, got to love names being different in different languages if you're inbred enough. George is Yrjö in Finnish. No, I don't know how or why either.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

awoooga

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Meanwhile in Aberdeen:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DarkCrawler posted:

Oh yeah, got to love names being different in different languages if you're inbred enough. George is Yrjö in Finnish. No, I don't know how or why either.

I grew up with old German history text books which had all English royal names in their German version. It took me a while to realize that English-speaking people probably didn't name their kings "Karl".

Even today my brain tries very hard to make my type Viktoria instead of Victoria

Though sometimes I'm still stumbling across poo poo like "Emperor William II Hohenzollern" and realize, at least on the other side this way of thinking still exists

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

Same reason it's Yuri in Russian probably

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
II Wilhelm II Wütend

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

:hmmyes:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tarnop posted:

Sometimes it's easy to forget this thread is in D&D but not today
too late for gentle repose :(

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The account with the milkman was in Liz's name

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I get the feeling that people are going to be sick of this within about 5 days.

I'm not saying anything in particular about this, but it seems as if a lot of people are already a bit tired of all of the mourning. Most of the FB comments on things getting cancelled are along the lines of "why"? "Normal" peoples opinion seem to be firmly in "why would this happen, stop being daft".

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 9, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Josef bugman posted:

I'm sick of it now

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

oh no history has ended again

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1567951290965049348?t=Ikh9ogY1TF66MeWOt_1Ouw&s=19

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Josef bugman posted:

I'm not saying anything in particular about this, but it seems as if a lot of people are already a bit tired of all of the mourning. Most of the FB comments on things getting cancelled are along the lines of "why"? "Normal" peoples opinion seem to be firmly in "why would this happen, stop being daft".

Another red text, bman? You been talking to the yanks again?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Barry Foster posted:

Another red text, bman? You been talking to the yanks again?

I have no idea. I think it's from the unpopular opinion thread, but it just seems very weird tbh.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FUKUYAMA OVERDRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

History has been starting and stopping like the MINI Cooper S I taught myself to drive stick-shift with twenty years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/NoContextFBUK/status/1568248605588217856