Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
I just finished it. Pretty good. Not the best, maybe the worst, but it had some great emotional hits. The ending wasn't as strong as previous seasons - I fear they are running out of material and people to bring back from the movies, the biggest gimmick on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
This is the final season right?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
No, unless they like ending on a cliff hanger

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
Yeah, I know it's been said multiple times before, but this does seem like endgame territory especially now. There's not too much left to set-up, kids are getting older, one of them is already becoming a movie star now.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
ISTR that they said they had a six or seven season story planned.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Am I dreaming or didn't they say that next season was planned to be the last one? I just tried googling it but all the top results are like "Season 5 ending explained!" that I don't want to read.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm half way through it, gonna watch the rest tonight, but I've been enjoying it so far. The Johnny-Miguel-Robbie triangle has always been my favorite part of the show, so I'm happy that we've finally got closure and catharsis for that. Can't wait to see how the back half of the season is gonna ruin it now! :buddy:

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

nah this is the best season by far. they nailed it. bring back julie for season 6 and then send this show off in style

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

cartoons123 posted:

Yeah, I know it's been said multiple times before, but this does seem like endgame territory especially now. There's not too much left to set-up, kids are getting older, one of them is already becoming a movie star now.

Michael Ironside and Walton Goggins as the final villains of course.

I hate that they don't want to crossover with Jackie Chan and Jaden. Having a World Warrior tournament with Jaden as the final boss with Jackie as his coach would be the best ending.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Well That went fully crazy this show is so goofy yet somehow pulls it off.

One of my favourite things in it is when “real-life” occasionally interrupts the narrative for example when they are I. The office at LaRusso talking about Cobra Kai locations in the valley when a
Man interrupts all like “scuse me I’d like to buy a car”

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Robobot posted:

The return of Mike Barnes and he’s just a successful accountant that wants nothing to do with Silver and is in one scene where he laughs Silver out of his office would be great.

Pretty close call!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
its unbelievable how good this show is lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
end up hooting and hollering at this stupid show. this is what my life has come to

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Darko posted:

Michael Ironside and Walton Goggins as the final villains of course.

I hate that they don't want to crossover with Jackie Chan and Jaden. Having a World Warrior tournament with Jaden as the final boss with Jackie as his coach would be the best ending.

Will Smith is one of the EPs on this show, so if he wanted his son in the show, he could get it done. Well, maybe not so much now since he's been damnatio memoriae'd out of Hollywood for slapping Chris Rock, but still.

Anyway, holy gently caress that was a good season. Honestly, they could just end the show right here, and that would be fine with me. It's still kind of weird though how they keep trying to redeem Kreese, but then just keep slapping the ring away from him. Maybe that's the final hurdle at this point. I dunno.

Still, that final episode was amazing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think his son wants to listen to will anymore

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Watched through episode 8 and have plans today but will finish tomorrow. Up through the half-way point I was feeling this was a weaker season in particular because the first few episodes seemed to jettison most of the kids in favor of adult corporate espionage storylines but happy that the next 3 episodes have gotten back to the core of the show and looking forward to the resolution as well as presumably the final season focusing on another big tournament

PurpleSky
Jun 28, 2022
I loved the NO MERCY MOTHERFUCKER!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm only 3 episodes in but Chozen loving rules

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PurpleSky posted:

I loved the NO MERCY MOTHERFUCKER!

That moment is so good because the scene plays on the idea that when it comes to Kreese, there's supposedly this lingering tension between Johnny and Daniel, and Johnny being seemingly reticent about how ruthless Daniel is sells Kreese on the belief that Daniel is his ticket out of prison. And then they just rip the rug out from under him and reveal it was all a con. Johnny and Daniel really are a beautiful team. :discourse:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Honestly though, I think the best gag of the whole season was Chozen buying a couch from Mike Barnes. Everything about that scene had me howling and it's just such a small thing too.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Only finished two eps but can’t stop laughing that Chozen says Terry learned from Kim Sun-Yung, they show a flashback of Terry saying that in KK3, and then they cut back and Daniel says “that’s a real person? I thought it was a bunch of gibberish. LaRacist strikes again.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I love this show, I'm on episode 6 but goddamn Silver is such a loving great villain. Also I love them having Chozen back is so great. Really liking where the series is headed.

I love that this is all over a loving kids karate school.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hollismason posted:

I love this show, I'm on episode 6 but goddamn Silver is such a loving great villain. Also I love them having Chozen back is so great. Really liking where the series is headed.

I love that this is all over a loving kids karate school.

Martin Kove and Thomas Ian Griffith are absolutely gifts from the people who casted them in the films. It’s astounding that 30+ years later they are the best scene chewing villains you could possibly ask for.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Guy A. Person posted:

Martin Kove and Thomas Ian Griffith are absolutely gifts from the people who casted them in the films. It’s astounding that 30+ years later they are the best scene chewing villains you could possibly ask for.

Yeah he's so ridiculously over the top. It's too bad they can't get Hillary Swank to make a appearance.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
This show rules. Love Johnny's Zenkai Boost.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its kind of weird that they drop so many F bombs in a show about a PG film. Its offputting to hear Daniel San drop F bombs.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Mike loving Barnes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well I finished the season and drat it was really good. Stuff I liked I liked Robby and Miguel finally working things out. I liked that overall it demonstrated that a philosophy of positivity and togetherness wins out. So it had a really good message. Kreese whole arc was excellent and I liked the cliff hanger. I liked that they succeeded in the end but it left a good hook for season 6 with them going to the special tournament. Brings in some new players for next season. Everything with Chozen was very loving good. Johny actually had some really great growth over this season and you can see how he's changed from season 1. Just becoming in general a better person as the seasons go on but still having that roughness. Him becoming a new father adds to that so that was a real good choice. I didn't think Daniel had that much growth this season as a person though he kind of remains the same.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
all those kids should have loving LAWYERS

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Just binged it. Pretty good season, I liked Johnny's character growth most of all. I thought the overseas senseis were pretty cliche though and that whole aspect wasn't believable to me. Also I don't believe that the kids at Cobra Kai OR Myagi-Do would be good enough for an all-world tournament when they've only been studying karate for a couple of years in comparison to students who have been training since they were toddlers.

Also the new season continues to act like cops don't exist and you can just do karate battles/crimes anywhere you want. Chozen was awesome though and I'm very glad he was ok!

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 11, 2022

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

It went the most insane anime bullshit route and I loving loved it.

NO MERCY MOTHER FUCKER!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I loved that both Chozen and Johnny called Mike Barnes the Bad Boy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Admiral Bosch posted:

all those kids should have loving LAWYERS

I love how literally every character on this show now has both committed at least one major felony AND been the victim of at least one major felony as well.

PurpleSky
Jun 28, 2022

FistEnergy posted:

Just binged it. Pretty good season, I liked Johnny's character growth most of all. I thought the overseas senseis were pretty cliche though and that whole aspect wasn't believable to me. Also I don't believe that the kids at Cobra Kai OR Myagi-Do would be good enough for an all-world tournament when they've only been studying karate for a couple of years in comparison to students who have been training since they were toddlers.

Also the new season continues to act like cops don't exist and you can just do karate battles/crimes anywhere you want. Chozen was awesome though and I'm very glad he was ok!

Regarding cops not existing in the show: The senseis blocking Tory from leaving the dojo and forcing her to punch stone slabs was absolutely illegal. However, it was very satisfying to see Silver in cuffs.

PurpleSky
Jun 28, 2022

nine-gear crow posted:

That moment is so good because the scene plays on the idea that when it comes to Kreese, there's supposedly this lingering tension between Johnny and Daniel, and Johnny being seemingly reticent about how ruthless Daniel is sells Kreese on the belief that Daniel is his ticket out of prison. And then they just rip the rug out from under him and reveal it was all a con. Johnny and Daniel really are a beautiful team. :discourse:

Johnny and Daniel teaming up is one of the best parts of the show and it was fantastic to finally see them on the same page for an entire season to have it culminate into that moment with Kreese.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Was it revealed before this season that Daniels wife was the sister of his Karate Kid 3 girlfriend? That took me by surprise but I likely just glazed over it before

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Medullah posted:

Was it revealed before this season that Daniels wife was the sister of his Karate Kid 3 girlfriend? That took me by surprise but I likely just glazed over it before

Cousin, not sister, but definitely never mentioned previously. How Daniel and Amanda met was never discussed so the writers took advantage of it to tie it all together.

That whole bar fight is up there with the :smug: "Of course not, they beat each other up" moment from Johnny.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jonny Quest posted:

Cousin, not sister, but definitely never mentioned previously. How Daniel and Amanda met was never discussed so the writers took advantage of it to tie it all together.

That whole bar fight is up there with the :smug: "Of course not, they beat each other up" moment from Johnny.

Ahh okay cousin makes it slightly less weird to me.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Medullah posted:

Ahh okay cousin makes it slightly less weird to me.

Daniel was specifically not dating the Karate Kid 3 girl because Ralph Macchio felt weird about being so much older. That whole thing was platonic on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Just starting episode 4 now (had to finish up Better Call Saul before jumping onto this) and I really love the little touch finding out that it was Carmen who was having the dream about the hilarious 80s-style family montage. poo poo, maybe they ARE right for eachother haha.