Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

When I was in my second college go, one yeari decided to let my hair grow out. Why? Girls kept playing with the long hair of this one guy in our major.

Anyway, at one point it got onto my shoulders, and just long enough for a ponytail. My dad said it was "countercultural" and that employers frowned on it. Of course, he was retired military and a consultant, and I was a bio major. I don't think he quite got how unremarkable hair that length was for biologists. In the mid 90s. I had a prof with a rattail and another with long hair and a beard. A history prof looked kind of like John Brown.

After it turning out that a long haired goon is still a dateless goon, I had it cut off and kept the ponytail as a souvenir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Wait what, you can't just end like that

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Agree to disagree

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

BiggerBoat posted:

My old man was pretty straight laced and conservative and I remember growing up anyone with a tattoo, a man with an ear ring, colored hair or any kind of piercing at all was supposed to render them unemployable and was insulting to his parents. Even long hair in a guy or short hair on a woman was suspect when I was really young. poo poo, now I work with a lot of people that have all those all things happening and no one gives a flying gently caress but it was Real Important for some reason at one time.

This all still applies to non-white people.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Oh, well that settles it, huh.
https://twitter.com/kylenabecker/status/1566593933949505536?t=awFRFClF6lo4wTSts8ueEQ&s=19

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HootTheOwl posted:

Wait what, you can't just end like that

Yeah what happened to the prof with a rattail

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What does conservative even mean in their lexicon other than "my team" at this point.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

They do not believe in any of these things. Hope this helps.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Levantine posted:

Boy howdy do they ever not. Individual rights unless you're a woman then welp state controls your uterus. State serves you only as long as you're white, everyone else welp if you get killed by state sanctioned violence you had it coming, you were no angel and on and on.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Levantine posted:

Right? This is like the exact opposite of the poo poo they get up to

1. They're always arguing about state's rights and pass laws in conservative states that specifically attack individuals and their liberties.

2. See above. Cutting Medicaid, unemployment, restricting abortion access, crushing the rights of LGBT citizens and making it harder to vote - among a host of other draconian measures. Drug testing welfare and UEI recipients. In what ways do any of these things exemplify the State serving its citizens? Let's build more jails, gut schools and ban books.

3. See #1 and #2. The only "liberty" they seem interested in protecting is letting everyone carry loaded firearms into Cracker Barrels and movie theaters at all times or let (white) people murder anyone that steps on their property or looks at someone funny. They're really big on letting cops do whatever the gently caress they want to people too, which is pretty much the opposite of liberty. And of course fast tracking the death penalty because nothing says "limited power of the state" quite like murdering your own citizens.

They're absolutely for more government power and control at basically every level, beyond limiting the poo poo that corporations and cops get up to.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Conservatives burn books
Conservatives ban books
Conservatives state that living your life as you choose "goes against God"
Conservatives want women at home
Conservatives want men "to be men"

All these statements run counter to "we support liberty" and how people can't see it blows my loving mind.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

BiggerBoat posted:

They're always grumbling about poo poo and always have.

My old man was pretty straight laced and conservative and I remember growing up anyone with a tattoo, a man with an ear ring, colored hair or any kind of piercing at all was supposed to render them unemployable and was insulting to his parents. Even long hair in a guy or short hair on a woman was suspect when I was really young. poo poo, now I work with a lot of people that have all those all things happening and no one gives a flying gently caress but it was Real Important for some reason at one time.

I still get people talking about how "brave" it is for me to have blue hair (sometimes with the subtext of "as a guy") and asking if my boss/girlfriend/whoever "approves" of it.

Though, to be fair, most people just tell me how awesome it is, and it's long enough right now that nobody sees my helix piercings so I never get poo poo about those...

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah what happened to the prof with a rattail

He had tenure and lived the good life to the coming end of his days.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MrUnderbridge posted:

He had tenure and lived the good life to the coming end of his days.

Did you offer him your ponytail?
Did you get bequeathed his?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

It's always fun to read them the identifying characteristics of fascism and watch them change the subject.

I mean, they'll never change themselves, but at least they shut up.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Conservatives burn books
Conservatives ban books
Conservatives state that living your life as you choose "goes against God"
Conservatives want women at home
Conservatives want men "to be men"

All these statements run counter to "we support liberty" and how people can't see it blows my loving mind.

That's because they really mean "Liberty for us, not for you."

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Just read about the new anti-immigration plan from the far right fuckos here in Switzerland (the SVP has been the largest party in Parliament since 1999), and the plan is to call it "sustainable" to sell it to the nauseating centrists in this country. Because just think of all the energy and food those immigrants will consume! It's just not sustainable. It'll probably work on more than a few people here too, since many of them seem to think that people-with-names-I-can't-pronounce just sit in tents and eat dirt so of course they only come here to take advantage of our fancy electricity grid.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

greazeball posted:

Just read about the new anti-immigration plan from the far right fuckos here in Switzerland (the SVP has been the largest party in Parliament since 1999), and the plan is to call it "sustainable" to sell it to the nauseating centrists in this country. Because just think of all the energy and food those immigrants will consume! It's just not sustainable. It'll probably work on more than a few people here too, since many of them seem to think that people-with-names-I-can't-pronounce just sit in tents and eat dirt so of course they only come here to take advantage of our fancy electricity grid.
What is the actual plan, for those of us who don't live there

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

You might almost say they believe in in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It's amazing, if unsurprising, that the issue of giving the world's largest carceral state an infinite budget to kill anyone at a whim, and the orgiastic frenzy of piggish violence they committed against people who questioned them in 2020, don't come up in these conversations about small, unobtrusive government and individual liberty.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Tetrabor posted:

Yeah. Just like it says in the Bible

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tetrabor posted:

Yep that is what they mean.

Homosexuality should be illegal because they should be free to walk down the street without they/their kids seeing two women kissing.
Immigration should be restricted from all but white countries because they should be free to not have to live around Mexicans or press 1 for English
The church should be the state so they can be free to live an a world where everyone observes their religion.
Books that contradict traditional mores should be banned because they should be free to teach their children whatever they want without them hearing something at school that could cause them to question parental wisdom
Contraception should be strictly controlled because they should be free to decide who gets it
Abortion should be banned because they should be free to impose their beliefs on others
Etc

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

What is the actual plan, for those of us who don't live there

They're far-right nutjobs, there's no actual plan except to just try out new pictures and phrasing until they get people shook enough to vote for their racist poo poo. But, I know you knew that already.

For this one, they're still workshopping it apparently but it seems that "gently caress off, we're full" isn't a winning campaign slogan. They have picked out some "alarming" population numbers that they say Switzerland just can't possibly support though. We had 8.7 million here at the end of 2021 and they want to throw the brakes when we get to 9 and a hard stop at 10 because that's just not sustainable. How any of this would work at a legal or a practical level, they don't give a poo poo. They just want to rile up the base because that's all they know how to do. We'll almost surely be at 9 mil by the end of the year so they can start ringing the alarms about how Something Must Be Done and the environmental angle is pretty genius since one of the fastest growing new parties is a sickening green/business hybrid. It's stupid for all the usual reasons anti-immigration measures are stupid (especially in a tiny country that's completely surrounded by a political entity that requires free movement of people) but even more so when we're in the middle of a massive skilled labour shortage. These fuckers really know how to play on people's fears here though, and we still haven't fully dealt with the fallout of our last anti-immigration initiative since the EU put us on hold to sort Brexit out.

Here's an article you can auto-translate from German if you want more https://www.watson.ch/schweiz/svp/522588504-migration-svp-plant-initiative-mit-einer-bevoelkerungsbremse

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah that sounds really stupid and arbitrary, but it's no surprise from reactionary shitheads like that

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

https://news.yahoo.com/geraldo-rivera-fox-news-makes-123323513.html

Geraldo Rivera Of Fox News Makes Stunning Announcement About Donald Trump

Fox News host Geraldo Rivera tweeted Wednesday that he “could never support” longtime friend Donald Trump again.

Rivera, a rotating co-host on “The Five,” said the ex-president’s baseless cries of voting fraud ended his allegiance permanently.

“Election Deniers depress me,” Rivera wrote. “I blame President Trump for his shameful campaign to slander and undermine American faith in our elections. For all his positive accomplishments, and there are many, I could never support him again. Without fealty to the Constitution, we’re [second] rate.”

Trump recently intensified his disenchantment with Fox News, a usually reliable mouthpiece for him.

“Wow! Fox News is really pushing the Democrats and the Democrat agenda,” he wrote on Truth Social, his own social network. “Gets worse every single day. So many Dems interviewed with only softball questions, then Republican counterparts get creamed.”

Rivera has called Trump a “loyal friend” whom he supported for four years in office and accused “leftist creeps” of trying to destroy Trump at all cost. He praised Trump for his role in producing a COVID-19 vaccine and said it should be named after him. But Trump’s baseless denial of his election defeat soured Rivera’s loyalty.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
He's done, then. As goes Geraldo Rivera, so goes the country

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Froghammer posted:

He's done, then. As goes Geraldo Rivera, so goes the country

You say that mockingly, like most of the country hasn't broken apart walls in its basement looking for Al Capone's lost gold

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

skeleton warrior posted:

You say that mockingly, like most of the country hasn't broken apart walls in its basement looking for Al Capone's lost gold

Slate’s Slow Burn has a one year break down podcast series that is going over 1986. Last week, they had an entire episode on Al Capone’s “vault”. Geraldo is insane and his stunt helped keep him paid to this day.

https://overcast.fm/+K-j2A7Xo8

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

https://news.yahoo.com/geraldo-rivera-fox-news-makes-123323513.html

Geraldo Rivera Of Fox News Makes Stunning Announcement About Donald Trump

Fox News host Geraldo Rivera tweeted Wednesday that he “could never support” longtime friend Donald Trump again.

Rivera, a rotating co-host on “The Five,” said the ex-president’s baseless cries of voting fraud ended his allegiance permanently.

“Election Deniers depress me,” Rivera wrote. “I blame President Trump for his shameful campaign to slander and undermine American faith in our elections. For all his positive accomplishments, and there are many, I could never support him again. Without fealty to the Constitution, we’re [second] rate.”

Trump recently intensified his disenchantment with Fox News, a usually reliable mouthpiece for him.

“Wow! Fox News is really pushing the Democrats and the Democrat agenda,” he wrote on Truth Social, his own social network. “Gets worse every single day. So many Dems interviewed with only softball questions, then Republican counterparts get creamed.”

Rivera has called Trump a “loyal friend” whom he supported for four years in office and accused “leftist creeps” of trying to destroy Trump at all cost. He praised Trump for his role in producing a COVID-19 vaccine and said it should be named after him. But Trump’s baseless denial of his election defeat soured Rivera’s loyalty.

Give it a week.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Nah, this is people getting off the Trump train to board the DeSantis train, and doing it at a time when they think they can help put the nails in the coffin for a Trump 2024 run.

They're not coming back unless it's clear he'll win the nomination

You haven't seen it as much because Trump refuses to go into that good night, but a large portion of the GOP and mainstream leadership are in agreement on DeSantis.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ErIog posted:

Nah, this is people getting off the Trump train to board the DeSantis train, and doing it at a time when they think they can help put the nails in the coffin for a Trump 2024 run.

You haven't seen it as much because Trump refuses to go into that good night, but a large portion of the GOP and mainstream leadership are in agreement on DeSantis.
Yeah this is my view as well

Trump is going to be ‘too controversial’ and they are going to try and slot DeSantis in there in his place

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
My next door neighbor already has a Trump 2024 sign up in his yard with the slogan "Take America Back" which is only slightly terrifying given how this year started (edit: time is meaningless so I thought Jan 6 was this year). We are in for some bad times in the short term no matter what happens. Regular people aren't going to give up on Trump so easily.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 9, 2022

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Looking forward to seeing these people pushing for a not-Trump being forced to bend the knee a second time.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

ErIog posted:

But all the die hard fascist chuds are openly stating they'll never support desantis

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Levantine posted:

My next door neighbor already has a Trump 2024 sign up in his yard with the slogan "Take America Back" which is only slightly terrifying given how this year started (edit: time is meaningless so I thought Jan 6 was this year). We are in for some bad times in the short term no matter what happens. Regular people aren't going to give up on Trump so easily.

I saw one earlier that said "Trump 2024: I'll Be Back" because we want the terminator to be the president, but only if he has bone spurs.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
They are going to try, yes, but they also tried in 2016.

Axetrain posted:

Looking forward to seeing these people pushing for a not-Trump being forced to bend the knee a second time.

:hmmyes:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DeSantis doesn’t have even a tenth of the weird charisma that the Right likes so it’s going to be an uphill battle

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

FlamingLiberal posted:

DeSantis doesn’t have even a tenth of the weird charisma that the Right likes so it’s going to be an uphill battle

he's going pretty hard on doing not-trump gestures like how mayor pete did not-obama druing the dem primary.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

he's going pretty hard on doing not-trump gestures like how mayor pete did not-obama druing the dem primary.
Oh believe me I know, I have to deal with him every day since he’s my Governor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Sax Mortar posted:

I saw one earlier that said "Trump 2024: I'll Be Back" because we want the terminator to be the president, but only if he has bone spurs.

While they call the guy who played the Terminator a RINO because he openly hated his father for being a Nazi.