Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Not to rain on anyones parade, but LG made some of the worst phones, with the worst hardware and software support, no software updates, and their solutions were to try and sell by gimmicks like sliding second screens, curved displays for no reasons, etc etc.

loving Kyocera does a better job at making phones and supporting them than LG did.

Like, their phones, both cheaper and more expensive, were almost all terrible and it’s almost like there’s a reason Samsung ran them out of the phone industry. Good riddance to LG phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah but check this out

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Duckman2008 posted:

Not to rain on anyones parade, but LG made some of the worst phones, with the worst hardware and software support, no software updates, and their solutions were to try and sell by gimmicks like sliding second screens, curved displays for no reasons, etc etc.

loving Kyocera does a better job at making phones and supporting them than LG did.

Like, their phones, both cheaper and more expensive, were almost all terrible and it’s almost like there’s a reason Samsung ran them out of the phone industry. Good riddance to LG phones.

They dominated the feature phone era, but yeah. They poo poo the bed once they started smartphones.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I liked LG and owned a whole sequence of their phones, but very well might have been lucky and only had better models. I did appreciate their minimal spin on Android, which is part of why I'm now on a Pixel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I had one and it was so bad they literally settled a class action suit over how bad it was.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

New iPhone is announced next week. Wait 1-3 weeks.

I went to an AT&T store and they convinced me to wait until Sept 7th which is the launch date. Still unsure whether that means I'll be walking away with a 12 Pro, 13 Pro, or 14, (12 is 50% off right now, not clear if that will stick after launch of the 14) but basically my aim is to get the best bang for my buck in terms of a camera.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

SIR! I will not stand for you disparaging the good name of my LG Rumor Touch. I WILL NOT STAND FOR IT!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
AT&T dropped all their unlimited plan "freebies" except for HBOMax, which I already have, so I'm thinking of switching since I get an unlimited plan covered by my job anyway.

For Verizon is it pick one or do you get all those things they list?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

AT&T dropped all their unlimited plan "freebies" except for HBOMax, which I already have, so I'm thinking of switching since I get an unlimited plan covered by my job anyway.

For Verizon is it pick one or do you get all those things they list?

Feel free to PM and I could always help you directly if you want.

One line or more than one line?

The Play More plan includes Disney+ , Hulu (with ads) and ESPN+ . If you want Apple Music the Get More also includes that in addition to the Disney bundle. I guess if it’s 100% covered by work do Get More, it would be both Disney bundle and Apple Music, plus unlimited “true priority “ data and 50GB mobile hotspot, and up to 12 free international travel days as well.

I’ll know the promos on the new phones probably by tomorrow if you need a new phone , and they’ll give you a $500 gift card to bring your own device.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Duckman2008 posted:

Feel free to PM and I could always help you directly if you want.

One line or more than one line?

The Play More plan includes Disney+ , Hulu (with ads) and ESPN+ . If you want Apple Music the Get More also includes that in addition to the Disney bundle. I guess if it’s 100% covered by work do Get More, it would be both Disney bundle and Apple Music, plus unlimited “true priority “ data and 50GB mobile hotspot, and up to 12 free international travel days as well.

I’ll know the promos on the new phones probably by tomorrow if you need a new phone , and they’ll give you a $500 gift card to bring your own device.

Just one line, hoping to do one of the iphone trade-ins for my 12 pro. That GetMore is definitely the way I'd probably go. Thank you for the PM offer, I will let you know if that's what I decide!

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Well, after nearly five years the battery on my Pixel 2 is starting to actively go to poo poo and it's time I started thinking about a replacement that I'll also keep until the battery goes to poo poo. I have no interest in leaving Android, and the $450 price point for phones like the Pixel 6A or Galaxy A53 is about as high as I'm willing to go. Realistically picking one of those is probably going to be the best choice long-term, but if there's any other recommendations I'd be glad to hear them.

(Also my phone plan's with Verizon, if that matters.)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Well, after nearly five years the battery on my Pixel 2 is starting to actively go to poo poo and it's time I started thinking about a replacement that I'll also keep until the battery goes to poo poo. I have no interest in leaving Android, and the $450 price point for phones like the Pixel 6A or Galaxy A53 is about as high as I'm willing to go. Realistically picking one of those is probably going to be the best choice long-term, but if there's any other recommendations I'd be glad to hear them.

(Also my phone plan's with Verizon, if that matters.)

Next month the Pixel 7 hits, even if you don't want to buy that phone, the price on the 6/6A is likely to drop.

I've got a 3XL, that's what I'm waiting on.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Ham Equity posted:

Next month the Pixel 7 hits, even if you don't want to buy that phone, the price on the 6/6A is likely to drop.

I've got a 3XL, that's what I'm waiting on.

Thanks for the tip. My battery's annoying, but I can handle waiting a month to probably get a discount without switching brands.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

as someone who's never owned an iPhone and hasn't ever followed Apple news at all, when's the best time to buy an iPhone in the near future

Also, is buying a used iPhone of the previous generation generally a bad idea from a product support perspective

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

as someone who's never owned an iPhone and hasn't ever followed Apple news at all, when's the best time to buy an iPhone in the near future

Also, is buying a used iPhone of the previous generation generally a bad idea from a product support perspective

Today, or Black Friday.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kalel posted:

Duckman answered the first question. As for the second, kind of? You won't be able to Applecare for it unless it already has it, but as far as updates and such, no, it's fine, Apple keeps things updated for 5+ years after launch.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm paying $65 plan + $55 Pixel Pass -$5 plan discount for Google Fi. That's $115 per month for a phone and 50 gb of data.

If I cancel Pixel Pass, I'm looking at $38.14 for the phone, $9 for insurance, and $3 for Google cloud. I don't care about any of their other garbage that comes with the pass.

Are TMobile Magenta Max ($85 + $50 for my phone and insurance and cloud) or Verizon Unlimited ($90 + taxes and fees + $50 for phone and insurance and cloud) each $20 and $25+ better than Google Fi?

I don't think I'd use any of TMobile's perks, but Verizon includes Disney+ for as long as you have the account? That would make it more price competitive.

TBH I average about 4gb of data per month, but I want to start occasionally tethering either for work or to keep my kids entertained, which is why I'm looking at larger plans.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

I'm paying $65 plan + $55 Pixel Pass -$5 plan discount for Google Fi. That's $115 per month for a phone and 50 gb of data.

If I cancel Pixel Pass, I'm looking at $38.14 for the phone, $9 for insurance, and $3 for Google cloud. I don't care about any of their other garbage that comes with the pass.

Are TMobile Magenta Max ($85 + $50 for my phone and insurance and cloud) or Verizon Unlimited ($90 + taxes and fees + $50 for phone and insurance and cloud) each $20 and $25+ better than Google Fi?

I don't think I'd use any of TMobile's perks, but Verizon includes Disney+ for as long as you have the account? That would make it more price competitive.

TBH I average about 4gb of data per month, but I want to start occasionally tethering either for work or to keep my kids entertained, which is why I'm looking at larger plans.

The plan will do the trick for sure. If you’re talking the Verizon get more plan, it’s unlimited phone data and 50GB mobile hotspot.

What phone do you have ? For Verizon , there’s either a trade in promo, or you can get a $500 gift card to bring your own phone.

I work for them, if you need help switching to Verizon PM me and I can reach out and help there.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

The plan will do the trick for sure. If you’re talking the Verizon get more plan, it’s unlimited phone data and 50GB mobile hotspot.

What phone do you have ? For Verizon , there’s either a trade in promo, or you can get a $500 gift card to bring your own phone.

I work for them, if you need help switching to Verizon PM me and I can reach out and help there.

It's a Pixel 6 Pro that I got through the Pixel Pass on Google Fi. I'm pretty sure it's just a regular unlocked Pixel 6 Pro.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

It's a Pixel 6 Pro that I got through the Pixel Pass on Google Fi. I'm pretty sure it's just a regular unlocked Pixel 6 Pro.

Oh totally. Yeah, I can’t speak for the T-Mobile side, but you would get a $500 gift card with that Verizon plan.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh totally. Yeah, I can’t speak for the T-Mobile side, but you would get a $500 gift card with that Verizon plan.

That would wipe out my balance on the phone, so at least until I get a new phone, I'm in a better network with more data (that I probably wont use), and for a lower monthly.

How does the transition work? Do I get a sim or do they update my esim somehow?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

That would wipe out my balance on the phone, so at least until I get a new phone, I'm in a better network with more data (that I probably wont use), and for a lower monthly.

How does the transition work? Do I get a sim or do they update my esim somehow?

I PMed you my info , I’ll be able to get you set. It’ll be your choice , you can do either physical SIM or eSIM now.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Need a phone recommendation after my 6th Pixel crapped out on me three weeks after the warranty expired :( . I have gone through so many goddamn Pixels. I don't know if it's just because I live in a humid area or I'm particularly rough on my phones but this is the first one that has actually made it out of the warranty period without me getting it replaced.

I'm looking at the Samsung Galaxy A53 because of the IP67 dust/water rating. Any reason I shouldn't go for it? Looking for:

~ $500 budget
-Must work on Visible
-Would like a decent camera to take food pics which is part(ish) of my job
-Sturdy please!
-Android

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
The display on my Pixel 4a just crapped out. What's a decent analog to that phone that I can replace on short notice? The pixel 6a? I see also that the Galaxy A53 is popular, but I don't really know what to look for in a phone. Mostly looking for something that I can get unlocked from Best Buy for less than $500-$600 USD. Are the Moto G's decent these days?

e: Eh I just got the 6a

dhamster fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 16, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dhamster posted:

The display on my Pixel 4a just crapped out. What's a decent analog to that phone that I can replace on short notice? The pixel 6a? I see also that the Galaxy A53 is popular, but I don't really know what to look for in a phone. Mostly looking for something that I can get unlocked from Best Buy for less than $500-$600 USD. Are the Moto G's decent these days?

e: Eh I just got the 6a

Good choice.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So 3G is ending by the end of the year, and although there's still months left on it, Verizon is planning to forcibly shut down my current phone, and I was thinking now might be the time to finally give in and get a proper smartphone. I'm not like anti-technology, I'm pretty plugged in, with a desktop and a tablet and a dedicated MP3 player, I just thought I didn't want the extra distraction of being online everywhere. I also am not much of a fan of touchscreens and I liked having a literally invincible clamshell.

I was thinking it'd be good to have google maps when I get lost on the highways instead of having to find my way through a Rand McNally map, and there's a few businesses with smartphone exclusive stuff. I think I'd also like to have a headphone jack.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Neither has a headphone jack (they're a dying feature on most everything at this point), but I think either an iPhone SE or a Google Pixel 6a would be a good choice. Duckman may know some options on Verizon with headphone jacks that aren't bad.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

So 3G is ending by the end of the year, and although there's still months left on it, Verizon is planning to forcibly shut down my current phone, and I was thinking now might be the time to finally give in and get a proper smartphone. I'm not like anti-technology, I'm pretty plugged in, with a desktop and a tablet and a dedicated MP3 player, I just thought I didn't want the extra distraction of being online everywhere. I also am not much of a fan of touchscreens and I liked having a literally invincible clamshell.

I was thinking it'd be good to have google maps when I get lost on the highways instead of having to find my way through a Rand McNally map, and there's a few businesses with smartphone exclusive stuff. I think I'd also like to have a headphone jack.

Fyi, if you PM me I can help you order a phone via official Verizon.

You likely have a discount to get an iPhone SE for $5 a month over 3 years. Not guaranteed , but if so that’s the best option. Unless you want an android phone, which they’ll offer an A03, which is not as good as the SE.

Endless Mike posted:

Neither has a headphone jack (they're a dying feature on most everything at this point), but I think either an iPhone SE or a Google Pixel 6a would be a good choice. Duckman may know some options on Verizon with headphone jacks that aren't bad.

I recommend the good phone with no headphone Jack and buying a $10 adapter !

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Okay thread, I have a job. This OnePlus n400 is just absolute trash. Screen and battery life is decent but the ram/8 year old CPU spec is absolutely wretched to use.

What should I buy these days.

I want like 90 hrz and decent battery and that's all I care about. I think. Something that will last the contract.

I don't read a lot about the galaxy's in these threads, is waiting for pixel 7 the way to go? I was thinking of settling for the galaxy aww just because it's the latest flagship I can afford and adaptive refresh rate seems good for the battery life.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 19, 2022

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Is it a bad idea to buy a phone refurbished on Amazon? I tend to buy electronics brand new but wondering if that's being too superstitious.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Listerine posted:

Is it a bad idea to buy a phone refurbished on Amazon? I tend to buy electronics brand new but wondering if that's being too superstitious.

This is a bit too vague to answer.

What country are in and what carrier ?

iPhone or android ?

Budget? Current phone?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Toalpaz posted:

Okay thread, I have a job. This OnePlus n400 is just absolute trash. Screen and battery life is decent but the ram/8 year old CPU spec is absolutely wretched to use.

What should I buy these days.

I want like 90 hrz and decent battery and that's all I care about. I think. Something that will last the contract.

I don't read a lot about the galaxy's in these threads, is waiting for pixel 7 the way to go? I was thinking of settling for the galaxy aww just because it's the latest flagship I can afford and adaptive refresh rate seems good for the battery life.

Pixel 6 is a good phone, and is getting pretty heavy discounts. You probably don't want to hear this but I didn't find the jump from 60 to 90hz particularly noticeable or earth-shattering. Camera is really excellent. Probably only worth waiting for the Pixel 7 if you prefer the colours/design.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Duckman2008 posted:

This is a bit too vague to answer.

What country are in and what carrier ?

iPhone or android ?

Budget? Current phone?

I'm not asking for a recommendation on which phone to buy. I'm in the US on AT&T, I'm buying a Galaxy S22 Ultra, upgrading from a Note 9.

What I want to know is if buying a refurbished phone is a bad idea in terms of the quality of the phone. Is it risky to buy a refurbished phone through Amazon or other large reseller?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Listerine posted:

I'm not asking for a recommendation on which phone to buy. I'm in the US on AT&T, I'm buying a Galaxy S22 Ultra, upgrading from a Note 9.

What I want to know is if buying a refurbished phone is a bad idea in terms of the quality of the phone. Is it risky to buy a refurbished phone through Amazon or other large reseller?

I think the poster understood your question - its just all that info is important to be able to answer. The biggest effect it's gonna have going refurbished is on the warranty, but that can vary from country to country and from manufacturer to manufacturer (for example, if you get a refurbished iPhone, but via Apple, you'll still get their manufacturer's warranty and can buy AppleCare). They were tryin to help you OP.

Anyway having gone through this process before, buying via Amazon it's probably going to be a third party reseller so it's really gonna depend on them. Just look closely at their returns policy for this kind of stuff, or if they offer a year's warranty, or any kind of garuantee on battery. Some websites like Backmarket are good about warranties. You'll probably want to know whether Samsung will honour the warranty if the phone has problems down the line.

At least here in the UK, if you get the highest grade of refurbished, it just means that someone opened the box and returned the phone within a week, so it's basically new.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

I think the poster understood your question

This is correct

Listerine posted:

It’s def a roll of the dice, especially via Amazon. As noted above, quality probably just really varies on the company refurbishing the phone.

Personally , refurbished phones both can be fine, but there’s not exactly consistency in terms of wha the standard of a refurb is. Especially in the United States (like many things here). Plus, cell phones have come a long way, but bear in mind you’re working with a very compact electronic device, which means in my experience that there can be more issues with them once they’re taken apart and re assembled. For instance , the Phone def won’t be water resistant (and if they claim it is I wouldn’t believe them).

Its worth mentioning, if you are on an ATT postpaid plan, September is a month when the carriers are in a price war, and ATT will likely offer a trade in of possibly $800 for your phone towards a new in box S22 Ultra (I think the 9 is still on the higher threshold but don’t know for sure). It does require a 3 year contract, which sucks, but if you’re planning on keeping service for 3 years, it’s a potentially large credit to consider.

If you are on prepaid ignore that paragraph. But that’s why I asked for more details, it’s not just a yes / no answer in the US.

Anyway, if you’re buying a phone outright, the S22 Ultra has been out since April, so I would bet you can find it new in some sort of small discount at this point. Maybe Samsung has a direct promo , etc. personally , unless it’s a large price difference it’s worth paying the difference for new in box.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

The Grumbles posted:

They were tryin to help you OP.

I didn't mean to sound curt, I was doing 12 things at once and trying to be as precise as possible.

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s def a roll of the dice, especially via Amazon. As noted above, quality probably just really varies on the company refurbishing the phone.

Personally , refurbished phones both can be fine, but there’s not exactly consistency in terms of wha the standard of a refurb is. Especially in the United States (like many things here). Plus, cell phones have come a long way, but bear in mind you’re working with a very compact electronic device, which means in my experience that there can be more issues with them once they’re taken apart and re assembled. For instance , the Phone def won’t be water resistant (and if they claim it is I wouldn’t believe them).

Thanks to you both! This is basically enough to scare me off, I'll go ahead and buy new.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Listerine posted:

I didn't mean to sound curt, I was doing 12 things at once and trying to be as precise as possible.

Thanks to you both! This is basically enough to scare me off, I'll go ahead and buy new.

Word up, and all good, the internet sometimes has it read more aggressive than it is. No insult taken.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Duckman2008 posted:

Word up, and all good, the internet sometimes has it read more aggressive than it is. No insult taken.

A story as old as time. Thanks again!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey, Overwatch 2 requires a "real" cell phone attached to their client.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23852690/overwatch-2-ready-check-prepare-for-launch/

It explicitly doesn't want to work with free phone services like google voice, but I don't like giving out my cell phone number if I can avoid it.

Does anyone know of an online service that would let me sign up for this? I'd be willing to pay maybe ten or twelve dollars a year if that opens up more possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My phone has decided its time is up. I don't play games or watch TV or anything on my phone, so I don't need much. Android, unlocked, decent camera, SD card slot, and a headphone jack are my requirements. I'm looking at a Samsung Galaxy A13 5G since it's cheap and seems to fit my needs. Is this a piece of poo poo? Any other suggestions? Pixel 5A seemed to be popular but Google isn't selling them anymore as far as I can tell.

I'm on Verizon, I would like to keep this phone as long as possible so a bonus if I can use it outside the US too. I remember there are different service types or some poo poo. I don't know phones.