Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Theres map editor mods which might let you custom make the map you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

man i keep trying for global warming challenge mode, i think i posted it before

crashlanded
phoebe / adventure story / always permadeath
temp is max
rainfall is above neutral
population is min
no tribals, no robots, adjust civs to your liking
random landing spot that isn't literally impossible to survive

man this loving sucks poo poo if you don't pay attention and make the right choices.

You can get a toehold and survive but things like choosing to recruit or not recruit that first scripted attack guy that always comes, that's a big if. Unless that pirate is good as hell you're better off booting. You can easily get into a situation where it's going to be a long slow decline and decisions you made early pan out to be fatal 1 year later. It's possible to make it even in extreme desert with the right combo of skills, but sometimes you just don't know how it will pan out.

There are a couple different ways you can figure out what you want to do to escape or dig in, but it's no joke. I keep trying to be like "nobody left behind, we're all gonna make it" and you get situations like 85 year old wild woman gets crippled from heatstroke on the other side of the map, all the animals eventually migrate away to the south pole, all the crops stop growing, etc etc. loving rough. Cracking into an ancient danger can be super worthwhile and there have been times i was able to survive off kibble until the deep cavern hydroponics kicks in, stuff like that, but drat. With the wrong starter crew you won't survive the bugs.

Guess i should try a new one with randy instead, maybe it will somehow be better? I don't really want to drop the difficulty.

--

So there's biome mods, how do they generally work? Are there mods that make biomes that are supposedly similar to say, the paleocene - eocene thermal max? Like when Germany was a tropical rainforest but with seasons, that's not a biome that has existed on earth for millions of years.

Basically are there earthlike but extremely weird biomes? The kind that should only show up in certain conditions, maybe not every planet, and not like aliens and morrowind or poo poo like that. Because if you turn the temp all the way up it super obviously extremely clearly is not in any way reasonable for some of these vanilla biomes to still exist as they seem to be designed to. You can already have a tropical rainforest that has trees going fall colors and is full of animals and then it gets to like 10℃. What biome should really be there where it loads a cypress swamp but all the plants instantly stop growing and all the animals immediately leave because it's so hot? It will never get cold enough for animals to come back except a very few in winter, and the plants can eek out extremely slow growth only at dusk and dawn.

I kinda wanna explore this concept but I couldn't even make a mod that let you brew beer in ancient urns so I'm clearly not gonna be the goon to develop the idea, and I really don't like setting up a whole base only to somehow find myself in an unwinnable slow death spiral. Part of my problem is not picking good enough pawns in the start, but i think part of it is the game stops working reasonably at extreme temps

The only biome mod I've played with is Alpha Biomes, and it's got some very neat biome types. Not really what you're asking for but I'll describe it a little anyway. Most recently though I've been playing in a Pyroclastic Conflagration, which is a desert map with a permanent +30C temperature modifier. Most of the soil is 70% fertility but some patches are 150%. It comes with a special kind of tree (Firevine) that is adapted to the heat, which you can plant more of for a reliable source of wood. It tends to attract dromedaries and other desert animals, include a few new ones including a special kind of insect that's basically a boomalope with an exoskeleton.

If you just want to play with the temperature range for the standard biomes (e.g. tropical rainforest but with cold winters or whatever) you could play with the numbers with this mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2042689053

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
So through some modding (the mod Geological Landforms specifically) I accidentally started a colony in a mountain tile crater... which by default had no way to exit the map. I've made some tunnels to the Outside, I can send caravans out, raiders who drop pod in can run away, but I'm not getting any normal events that don't involve a shuttle or drop pod - I even get alerts that traders don't want to stop by because of insectoids/raiders/etc., but even when I say "no come in, it's fine" they just don't spawn - same for quests like beggars, they pop but nothing happens. Is there any way to get the map to recognize that it is, in fact, connected to the outside world?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

death cob for cutie posted:

So through some modding (the mod Geological Landforms specifically) I accidentally started a colony in a mountain tile crater... which by default had no way to exit the map. I've made some tunnels to the Outside, I can send caravans out, raiders who drop pod in can run away, but I'm not getting any normal events that don't involve a shuttle or drop pod - I even get alerts that traders don't want to stop by because of insectoids/raiders/etc., but even when I say "no come in, it's fine" they just don't spawn - same for quests like beggars, they pop but nothing happens. Is there any way to get the map to recognize that it is, in fact, connected to the outside world?

I'd be worried that there's some opening along the edge of the map where people are showing up and you just don't see them. IIRC one of the mods that lets you settle on Impassable tiles explicitly creates a map entrance that's hidden until you discover it via mining

You might try using admin mode to poke around, and if there's truly no entrance then maybe delete a patch of the mountain (including the rock roof) along the map's edge and see if that helps

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

death cob for cutie posted:

Visitors need an edge without thick mountain roof to enter. You can keep digging and hope to find one, or dev mode delete some roof and things should start working.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

QuarkJets posted:

I'd be worried that there's some opening along the edge of the map where people are showing up and you just don't see them. IIRC one of the mods that lets you settle on Impassable tiles explicitly creates a map entrance that's hidden until you discover it via mining

I used the.dev tools to see if there was anything hidden, no dice - sounds like I need to try removing some rock roofs tomorrow.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Alpha animals just released a new version that adds a ton of new psycasts to VPE

quote:

Just pushed a new update to Alpha Animals with a LOT of new toys ;)

Added: Compatibility with Vanilla Psycasts Expanded, adds four new psy paths, all with Alpha Animals themed psycasts, for a total of 35 new psycasts:
Herald of the Black Hive: adds 8 abilities, related to the Black Hive. Most of them are summoning abilities
Oculist: adds all sorts of new ocular abilities (7 psycasts). If Ideology is found, this path requires the colonist to have the Biological Corruptors meme. The whole psycast path is a LOT more useful if you have both Ideology and Alpha Biomes
Ravager: adds 11 melee psycasts, that can only be used if the caster has a melee weapon equipped. This an adaptation of the Melee Psycasts mod by Martin Harris, used with permission
Xeno-seer: adds 9 animal based abilities that can be applied to colonists and other animals. For example, you can make a colonist electrified like Tetraslugs, feed on sunlight like needleposts or regenerate like a raptor shrimp, plus a few ranged abilities such as spitting acid or SHOOTING A GIANT LASSSSEEEEERRRRR.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gently caress, that's cool

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Piell posted:

Funny you should say that, check what just came out today.

Vanilla Skills Expanded

Yeah I've been rolling with this since it dropped, it rules and is exactly my jam!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Is there a way to freeze your Rimworld install so it doesn't download updates? I've had one game going for a good, long while and I'd rather it not be broken by some random poo poo until I'm done with the colony.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

bird food bathtub posted:

Is there a way to freeze your Rimworld install so it doesn't download updates? I've had one game going for a good, long while and I'd rather it not be broken by some random poo poo until I'm done with the colony.

The base game itself will let you revert to almost whatever patch you want via steam's beta opt in. Mods take a bit more work. Get Rimpy or a similar manager and have it make local copies of your mods, then use the local copies instead of the ones that synchronize with the workshop. There is no way to opt out from workshop updates on its copies though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You can set up your Steam client to not automatically download updates

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Telsa Cola posted:

Theres map editor mods which might let you custom make the map you want.

QuarkJets posted:

The only biome mod I've played with is Alpha Biomes, and it's got some very neat biome types. Not really what you're asking for but I'll describe it a little anyway. Most recently though I've been playing in a Pyroclastic Conflagration, which is a desert map with a permanent +30C temperature modifier. Most of the soil is 70% fertility but some patches are 150%. It comes with a special kind of tree (Firevine) that is adapted to the heat, which you can plant more of for a reliable source of wood. It tends to attract dromedaries and other desert animals, include a few new ones including a special kind of insect that's basically a boomalope with an exoskeleton.

If you just want to play with the temperature range for the standard biomes (e.g. tropical rainforest but with cold winters or whatever) you could play with the numbers with this mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2042689053

:hmmyes:

It would be interesting if there was a way to mod irl burrowing animals the ability to make nests or burrows that are within safe temp for whatever is inside. so hares could make warrens or bears could hibernate in winter.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Are all the Vanilla Expanded mods made to work well with each other as far as gameplay goes?

Like if you were running every single VE mod together, does it make for a cohesive experience, or are they just a bunch of unrelated mods sharing a name?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
They’re compatible with each other, but I wouldn’t really call them cohesive. They do a lot of pretty unrelated things.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The factions are especially noticeable, unless you like multiple roman cities with senates during a mechanoid war.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
They work together mechanically very well. Thematically, maybe not so much. Some of them are hilariously game-breakingly overpowered.

Psycasts expanded as an example lets me hype up a colonist to do double damage with guns and fire a ton faster at a huge range bonus with 100% guaranteed accuracy, and whose hands I put a minigun in to. So an entire volley of minigun fire will hit one target at sniper rifle range with no misses at double damage. This one single colonist is more lethal to enemy ships in SoS2 than an antigrain torpedo and they get to ride around in their own personal drop pod while everyone else slums it over in a fully loaded combat ship.

Some are just kinda neat little changes to the game.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Manager Hoyden posted:

Are all the Vanilla Expanded mods made to work well with each other as far as gameplay goes?

Like if you were running every single VE mod together, does it make for a cohesive experience, or are they just a bunch of unrelated mods sharing a name?

it adds a totally overwhelming amount of new poo poo with several discrete themes that can definitely clash. i used to have it all installed, but removed parts that seemed bloated (plants, cooking) over successive games. but they are theoretically all compatible with each other and vaguely balanced - though realistically each one adds a few more OP things for you to find and exploit, and the mechanoid and insectoid factions are overtuned vs vanilla raids

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OP clearly meant like, does Cooking Expanded make use of the stuff in Fishing Expanded or the like, and the answer is yes, mods largely add things that make sense if you have appropriate other ones installed.

Vehicles Expanded is gonna be a loving banger.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
What are some of the more balanced overhaul type mods. I watched an LP of the 40k mod and it seemed like the gear in there just blew away vanilla gear.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
There's also a mod that cleans up a lot of stuff from Vanilla Expanded, like trimming out a TON of the excess cruft and item duplicates that make your production menu a nightmare to traverse. Plus a lot of the micro-manage-y stuff where you're swapping around different tools and clothing sets for things like a +2 bonus to wood chopping or surgery and things like that.

"Clean Vanilla Expanded" I think.

I have the "More Psycasts" mod which seems pretty good, but the VE series has a psycast mod now, any report on how over- or under-powered those are? I'm guessing it's on the high side of the power level, but if it's not too looney-tunes I might check it out.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

El Spamo posted:

micro-manage-y stuff where you're swapping around different tools

There's also a mod for that: Grab Your Tool!

I just equip the outfit with the bonuses I'm most interested in, since even if they changed clothes on their own it probably isn't worth the time spent changing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vanilla Psycasts Expanded is extremely cool and has a mix of very powerful casts that break the game and completely standard spells of the same power level as what's in Royalty. Plus it has a leveling system that seems like a good addition to the base psycast system. It makes Eltex a material that you can craft with, which is cool and good.

Psycasts that are simply good additions:
A "word of" that boosts research speed
A "word of" that boosts work speed
A "word of" that boosts healing speed
A "word of" that boosts immunity
An ice cube spell that basically creates a temporary freezer for several days
A spell that removes a constructed thing's power requirements for several days
A spell that animates a rock chunk, creating a very simple hauler/cleaner

Psycasts that break the game:
A spell that "consumes" a room full of bodies to basically eliminate a pawn's Heat cap
A spell that regrows all of a pawn's missing limbs and digits
A spell that causes "Word Of" spells to apply to all pawns within some big range; the entire colony gets joy boosts, production boosts, 50% damage reduction, etc.
A spell that creates a permanent skip portal between two points
A spell that instantly enslaves and lobotomizes a pawn, giving them permanent +100 joy and removes their need for rest but disables some work types
A spell that creates an imbued ring that allows literally any pawn to use the specified spell; give every pawn Berserk Pulse, Meteor Shower, etc
A "decoy" spell that does what it sounds like; enemies will specifically attack the decoy
Basically everything in the Warlord tree (double movement speed, double range, double fire speed, perfect accuracy shooting, etc.)
Basically everything in the Time tree (instantly grow crops, pause raids, "nah we're not having a Winter this year")
Basically everything in the Nightstalker tree (skip at far greater distances, create orbs of darkness that drop accuracy to 0, "Assassinate", invisibility that effects an entire group of people)
Basically everything mid-tier or later in the Necromancy tree (a spell that's basically Resurrection Serum, a spell that stuns all biologicals for 2h in a small radius, literally walk through walls)
Basically any continuous damage spell (Frost Ray, Fire Beam, Eye Blast)

That's just what I've encountered so far. The leveling system also makes things pretty ridiculous, your pawns gain experience while they meditate and that experience can unlock new spells and new focus types, or level points can be used to boost a psycaster's innate abilities (more heat, more sensitivity, more

The more powerful spells are only limited by the rate at which you can level a caster to use them, but there are some absolutely insane combos that you can unlock even within just a single tree. Skip next to a group of enemies and instantly paralyze them. Pause a raid, give everyone paralytic ablasia, then lobotomize the best pawns and strip/kill the rest. Kill an entire raid with a 100% accuracy minigun firing at double speed. Give all your pawns the ability to call down an orbital bombardment, or meteors, or a Fire Tornado, etc.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 9, 2022

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
With VPE, I never spend psy points on anything except unlocking trees, and then pumping the unholy bejeezus out of psy stats. With enough silver and trade caravans you'll eventually be able to buy all the actual spells, you can't use the same process to buy umpteen-stupid-hundreds of heat cap, 20% psyfocus cost reduction and boosted meditation recovery. Sometimes I will spend a point to unlock another kind of meditation, usually artistic if they don't have it, but I usually just work with what they've got on types and let the meditation boost sort it out.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

QuarkJets posted:

Vanilla Psycasts Expanded is extremely cool and has a mix of very powerful casts that break the game and completely standard spells of the same power level as what's in Royalty. Plus it has a leveling system that seems like a good addition to the base psycast system. It makes Eltex a material that you can craft with, which is cool and good.

Psycasts that are simply good additions:
A "word of" that boosts research speed
A "word of" that boosts work speed
A "word of" that boosts healing speed
A "word of" that boosts immunity
An ice cube spell that basically creates a temporary freezer for several days
A spell that removes a constructed thing's power requirements for several days
A spell that animates a rock chunk, creating a very simple hauler/cleaner

Psycasts that break the game:
A spell that "consumes" a room full of bodies to basically eliminate a pawn's Heat cap
A spell that regrows all of a pawn's missing limbs and digits
A spell that causes "Word Of" spells to apply to all pawns within some big range; the entire colony gets joy boosts, production boosts, 50% damage reduction, etc.
A spell that creates a permanent skip portal between two points
A spell that instantly enslaves and lobotomizes a pawn, giving them permanent +100 joy and removes their need for rest but disables some work types
A spell that creates an imbued ring that allows literally any pawn to use the specified spell; give every pawn Berserk Pulse, Meteor Shower, etc
A "decoy" spell that does what it sounds like; enemies will specifically attack the decoy
Basically everything in the Warlord tree (double movement speed, double range, double fire speed, perfect accuracy shooting, etc.)
Basically everything in the Time tree (instantly grow crops, pause raids, "nah we're not having a Winter this year")
Basically everything in the Nightstalker tree (skip at far greater distances, create orbs of darkness that drop accuracy to 0, "Assassinate", invisibility that effects an entire group of people)
Basically everything mid-tier or later in the Necromancy tree (a spell that's basically Resurrection Serum, a spell that stuns all biologicals for 2h in a small radius, literally walk through walls)
Basically any continuous damage spell (Frost Ray, Fire Beam, Eye Blast)

That's just what I've encountered so far. The leveling system also makes things pretty ridiculous, your pawns gain experience while they meditate and that experience can unlock new spells and new focus types, or level points can be used to boost a psycaster's innate abilities (more heat, more sensitivity, more

The more powerful spells are only limited by the rate at which you can level a caster to use them, but there are some absolutely insane combos that you can unlock even within just a single tree. Skip next to a group of enemies and instantly paralyze them. Pause a raid, give everyone paralytic ablasia, then lobotomize the best pawns and strip/kill the rest. Kill an entire raid with a 100% accuracy minigun firing at double speed. Give all your pawns the ability to call down an orbital bombardment, or meteors, or a Fire Tornado, etc.

Jesus christ the list of game-breakers is twice the list of ordinary psycasts.
I should give it a go just to experience the pure powertrip of it all. I mean, I'm a pretty wimpy player as it is and usually bounce back and forth between adventurer and community-builder difficulty depending on how pressured I feel. Maybe some Gandalf-level magic can give me an edge lol

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

El Spamo posted:

I should give it a go just to experience the pure powertrip of it all. I mean, I'm a pretty wimpy player as it is and usually bounce back and forth between adventurer and community-builder difficulty depending on how pressured I feel. Maybe some Gandalf-level magic can give me an edge lol

VPE is like little baby, thinking it can break game. Come, let Rimworld of Magic show you what breaking game is truly like!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah but that breaks it both ways. psycasts is heavily weighted in favour of the player imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

your pawns gain experience while they meditate and that experience can unlock new spells and new focus types, or level points can be used to boost a psycaster's innate abilities

Sat in a room for two years thinking very hard and now I, too, can kill god with my brain.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

yeah but that breaks it both ways. psycasts is heavily weighted in favour of the player imo

You ain't kidding. One elemental invasion and I was rolling a new colony.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

you can adjust RoM's AI settings on how many mages attack and how much casting they do to weight it as much in your favor or against it as you like

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
sometimes its fun to throw like 300 mods at things and just ride the chaos.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

El Spamo posted:

There are many more pyscasts that are gamebreaking or near so other than just that list, like almost half of the psycasts are broken as poo poo, my favorite is the one that lets you examine an item and get the tech for it instantly, with the only downside as a 6 hour coma for the psycaster

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, Vanilla Psycast Expanded is the same as Rimworld of Magic, in the sense that you should make peace with the notion that game balance flies out of the window if you play with it. That being said, I feel that Psycast user come online far slower than mages and maintaining their psy energy and leveling them takes a huge chunk of their time they could be working (although I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Psycast that completely trivializes that. There is a Psycast that trivializes pretty much every other aspect of the game after all).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, Vanilla Psycast Expanded is the same as Rimworld of Magic, in the sense that you should make peace with the notion that game balance flies out of the window if you play with it. That being said, I feel that Psycast user come online far slower than mages and maintaining their psy energy and leveling them takes a huge chunk of their time they could be working (although I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Psycast that completely trivializes that. There is a Psycast that trivializes pretty much every other aspect of the game after all).

Theres a psycast that gives you a bunch of XP but ages you, as well as a psycast that de-ages you by aging someone else, so if you have a young psychic pawn you can get going quick and then drain a couple captured folks to death to rack up big numbers quick.

You'll still need to keep your energy up but since you can mostly replace researching/crop growing via psycasts its not a big deal to have a couple people on full time mediation duty

Piell fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 9, 2022

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
You want to break the game, you get vanilla expanded ancients. -50% aiming and ranged cooldown, double range, automatically hit targets and hit either brain or heart every shot. Get a minigun and wipe out entire waves of raiders. scour manhunter packs from existence. That or get a sniper rifle and kill ANYTHING from anywhere on the map.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

sometimes its fun to throw like 300 mods at things and just ride the chaos.

This is the truth of it.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I finally had to retire my list I've kept to some extent since Ideology dropped. 545 mods at least count.

Now to slowly slap a new one together and maybe not let the bugs get out of hand

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Ugh what setting do I have to flip so my warden isn't feeding my good sushi to the prisoners?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Ugh what setting do I have to flip so my warden isn't feeding my good sushi to the prisoners?

You can change prisoners food settings to any food profile. By default switching them to simple meals will give them the worst meals, including sushi, but you can edit each food profile to include specific meals and foods so you can ban prisoners from sushi altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I prefer vanilla psycasts expanded over rimworld of magic because it's actually a lot more focused. Rimworld of Magic is bloated and full of jank, whereas VPE mostly feels like it could be part of the base game.