Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is there anything that's going to replace Ethereum as a source of income for GPU miners? All I can see is a few shitcoins that don't have nearly enough value to soak up all the miners need for revenue to pay for electricity.

Large-scale distributed neural networks.

Ups_rail posted:

*sigh* so to explain the joke. Those countries are under sanctions. 2 of those countries have used crypto to work around said sanctions. So thats like 1 layer to the joke.

The other layer to the joke is that the proof of work is being done by hand, with out computers which is totally not crypto.

.................:smith:............

I know it was a joke. You thinking this "joke" is funny still reveals a lot about how you view the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Aramis posted:

but that's not generating income though?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Aramis posted:

I know it was a joke. You thinking this "joke" is funny still reveals a lot about how you view the world.

Do you wanna be my internet friend? We can chat on AIM or follow eachother on live journal.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ups_rail posted:

*sigh* so to explain the joke. Those countries are under sanctions. 2 of those countries have used crypto to work around said sanctions. So thats like 1 layer to the joke.

The other layer to the joke is that the proof of work is being done by hand, with out computers which is totally not crypto.

.................:smith:............
Not the most intuitive joke.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Splicer posted:

Of course you shouldn't! You should be burning brand new tires.

That reminded me of a Captain Planet episode. One of the villains built a refrigerator factory, but at the end of the assembly line each fully-working fridge got chopped with an axe to release the Freon and destroy the ozone layer.

I feel like that process is somehow a metaphor for crypto.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

ymgve posted:

Not if you're not pitching it to rubes and marks. Get out there and sell some NNCoin!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

TVs Ian posted:

That reminded me of a Captain Planet episode. One of the villains built a refrigerator factory, but at the end of the assembly line each fully-working fridge got chopped with an axe to release the Freon and destroy the ozone layer.

:lol: I remember that exact scene. Years later, I thought, CP wasn't actually that good environmental propaganda: the villains were all destroying the planet for the sake of it; in reality it's the society we've built that's the problem and we aren't going to fix it by stopping a few bad guys.

But then crypto comes along and maybe the captain planet villains weren't that off the mark?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I love how cryptocurrency is a plot a literal Captain Planet villain would create. The bad guys in an environmentalism propaganda Saturday morning cartoon.

I don’t get why the original bitcoin adopters hadn’t realized this, considering 90s Saturday morning cartoons are the only media they consume

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Gutcruncher posted:

I love how cryptocurrency is a plot a literal Captain Planet villain would create. The bad guys in an environmentalism propaganda Saturday morning cartoon.

I don’t get why the original bitcoin adopters hadn’t realized this, considering 90s Saturday morning cartoons are the only media they consume

Making money is automatically good. If you have made money you've done it right.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

One of the episodes has the villain turn into an energy vampire to threaten the North American electricity grid

Seems pretty on the nose

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

TVs Ian posted:

Imagine four refrigerators at the end of an assembly line.

Bitcoin works the same way.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The real question is what "cheap" is.

If we're talking like 25% MSRP? Sure I'll roll those dice.

But like hell I'm paying few hundred for a miner card with a questionable history.

best buy is already selling the high end 3090ti's for $900 less ($1099 vs $1999) and nvidia is throwing in a copy of spiderman remastered.

they made way too many and their 40x series is around the corner. probably gonna be a lot of good deals soon.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

Queen Liz bitcoin just dropped:

Queen Elizabeth II on currency? What will they think of next.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gutcruncher posted:

I dunno man the Captain Planet villians were working towards something. Sure, yah they wanted to clear cut a forest but to build luxury housing which while bad still serves a purpose. This is just wanton destruction.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Strong Sauce posted:

best buy is already selling the high end 3090ti's for $900 less ($1099 vs $1999) and nvidia is throwing in a copy of spiderman remastered.

they made way too many and their 40x series is around the corner. probably gonna be a lot of good deals soon.

Yeah, but I'm not going to buy a $1000 card, period. I don't care if it's marked down from $5,000, that's just way the gently caress more than I'm spending on a graphics card.

The mid-tier stuff (3060s, 3070s) hasn't really been marked down much at all. They're still over MSRP, the only notable price difference is that they're not selling for double MSRP any more.

If they start marking those down significantly I'm all over that, though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

What do you mean it's inadvisable to record my crimes on an immutable, public ledger?

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
PoC: Proof of Crime

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

Challenge: five word Bitcoin posts

Million Bitcoin Reward: lost harddrive

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

booo, North Korea evading sanctions using bitcoin scams is like the only good thing that has ever come out of crypto

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, but I'm not going to buy a $1000 card, period. I don't care if it's marked down from $5,000, that's just way the gently caress more than I'm spending on a graphics card.

The mid-tier stuff (3060s, 3070s) hasn't really been marked down much at all. They're still over MSRP, the only notable price difference is that they're not selling for double MSRP any more.

If they start marking those down significantly I'm all over that, though.

check b&h, i just got a 3060ti for msrp last week. bitcoin crashing is the gift that keeps on giving

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

ekuNNN posted:

booo, North Korea evading sanctions using bitcoin scams is like the only good thing that has ever come out of crypto

Why?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I see a massive(ish) pump in the last 12 hours or so. More tether printer go brrbrr?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

punishing every man, woman and child in a country for having lovely leaders is bad. and clearly doesn't work to instigate regime change. sanctions bad.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ah yes the trickle down bitcoin theory

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ymgve posted:

"value" means a lot of things in crypto land

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
There are still 10,000,000+ GPUs mining Ethereum up until the last minute so I'd give GPU prices another month or two to filter out. Some of them are going to mine other things but a large portion of them will hit the secondary market.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
isnt buying used a very very bad idea?

like the explanation here was that even if your underclocking, they still being stressed in a bunch of other areas in significant ways.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just got an RTX 3080Ti for 900 bucks and they apparently are going down from there. It’s absolutely worth paying new prices at this point instead of paying less for “crypto miner roulette”

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 9, 2022

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

ekuNNN posted:

How is North Korea, a terrible totalitarian dictatorship, evading sanctions a "good thing"

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

isnt buying used a very very bad idea?

like the explanation here was that even if your underclocking, they still being stressed in a bunch of other areas in significant ways.

There were some effortposts in the past few years I can't find about how modern cards aren't quite as destroyed by mining as older ones were. The card destruction stuff is a 10+ year old meme with bitcoin at this point so I'd expect a 3090 to hold up to mining better than a 690-890 did. Especially since overclocking is standard now and most cards or motherboards have it as standard options.

It's a good idea to stay away from used mining cards though because it can't be great for them but I'm not suggesting people run out to buy the used mining bonanza. They are going to hit the secondary market and people are going to buy them. That will impact Nvidia's sales that are already dismal as everyone who doesn't know about mining or doesn't care about anything beyond the price starts filling up on the new supply of millions of GPUs.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Mining will absolutely run the VRAM hot. There's also some danger of miners having flashed dodgy alternative firmware to make the cards more amenable to mining tasks. Don't buy mining cards.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

ekuNNN posted:

punishing every man, woman and child in a country for having lovely leaders is bad. and clearly doesn't work to instigate regime change. sanctions bad.
What makes you think the money from avoiding sanctions would go to the people and not the regime?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The entire point of sanctions is to make the people suffer so they rise up and depose their leadership.

Without that it wouldn’t really do anything

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlestheHammer posted:

The entire point of sanctions is to make the people suffer so they rise up and depose their leadership.

yeah and it doesnt work. it's just suffering for the sake of suffering.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

It worked against Milošević.

Nope, it didn't. What finally worked was bombing of the infrastructure by NATO, and people getting fed up with things exploding around them. It ultimately economically destroyed the entire nation, the combo of sanctions and bombing, and people like my grandma and other relatives were brought to the brink of starvation. gently caress sanctions. It's a rich people's game and they do it because they don't want to touch each other directly and create a precedent.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ekuNNN posted:

yeah and it doesnt work. it's just suffering for the sake of suffering.

Oh I know it doesn’t work, but that’s the point of emm even the US government doesn’t pretend otherwise

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
It's simply a more efficient way to distribute the suffering, as opposed to the old-fashioned 'fiat' implementations we had before, like bombs.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Schrödinger's sanctions

Simultaneously absolutely essential to protect national security and bring down enemy regimes, and also totally meaningless and unnoticeable to the people living there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I was curious how much energy AWS actually uses after reading the previous page. They don't release any actual data but Google says that AWS uses about 2% of all energy consumed in the US.

Comparing this to annual US energy use in 2018, this would leave AWS consuming approximately 78,017,500,000 kWh annually (i'm sure it's higher in 2022). That's about 213,746,575 kWh/day

According to forbes, bitcoin alone uses 707 kWh of energy per transaction. This means that 302,328 Bitcoin transactions is equivalent to one day of AWS energy consumption.

According to some random website I found on google called ystats Bitcoin currently sees approx. 262,863 transactions per day.

That means globally, Bitcoin alone uses approximately 86% of the daily kWh that AWS uses in the US. That doesn't take any other crypto into consideration.

According to the official Ethereum website Ethereum's total energy consumption (currently, as proof of work) is "~112 TWh/yr" which is 112,000,000,000 kWh/year. That is actually significantly more energy usage per year from ethereum alone than the total of AWS usage in the US.

Safe to say that AWS in totality likely consumes less energy than cryptocurrency in totality does each day.

And to be fair the majority of amazon's AWS servers are not in the US, but we only went over two out of the 10 billion cryptos here. For example, Dogecoin sees about 28k transactions/day at 269.03 kWh/transaction

For context, the average US household uses about 30 kWh per day. With 123.6 million households in the US, that means US non-corporate residents use a total of about 3,708,000,000 kWh/day.

So every day, every single person in the US combined (excluding corporations) uses 3.7 billion kWh of energy. Ethereum uses 306 million kWh, Amazon uses 213 million kWh, and Bitcoin consumes 186 million kWh.

For every 1kWh of energy your household consumes:
Amazon's US-based AWS servers consume 7.12 million kWh
Bitcoin consumes 7.1 million kWh
Ethereum consumes 10.2 million kWh

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 10, 2022