Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Macrame_God posted:

I'd like to see if some of Hayao Miyazaki's films could make it into the Criterion. Doesn't Disney still own the publishing rights to most of his work?

G Kids took over distribution rights in 2017, per Kotaku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Cloks posted:

Wow, I had no idea. Hard to believe Disney, Devourer of IPs, would fail to re-secure the publishing rights to some of the finest animated films ever made, but I guess Kiki's Delivery Service doesn't bring in the big bucks the way the MCU does.

Also, full restoration of the original Star Wars trilogy when, Criterion?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Cloks posted:

I’ve got most of their steelbooks already so I’d prefer if they held off on the 4ks for awhile.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
WALL-E is a classic (the best Pixar imo) and it’s also very funny to argue that it argues that everyone being a bit fat and not getting up is worse than a lack of starvation, war, etc but it still owns and this is very well-deserved

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah I’m unfamiliar with this wall-e controversy. Movie is great. I watched it Japan and it was perfectly easy to follow. I’ll probably pick this one up.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I watched half of it a few days ago because my best friend's kid is currently obsessed with it. Lovely film.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Macrame_God posted:

Wow, I had no idea. Hard to believe Disney, Devourer of IPs, would fail to re-secure the publishing rights to some of the finest animated films ever made, but I guess Kiki's Delivery Service doesn't bring in the big bucks the way the MCU does.

Also, full restoration of the original Star Wars trilogy when, Criterion?

They were only distributing Ghibli. That's why the GKIDS Blu-rays use the same dub tracks and are essentially the same discs with a few exceptions.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I think Wall E is just not good, I feel like is says nothing and drops any pretense of saying anything to just show robot antics for 40 minutes. That being said it’s fine for it to be on criterion they’ve done mainstream movies before and I’m sure it funds them to be able to do more interesting things. It also still kind of bugs me because I don’t think a world exists with Disney + being around that there will never exist a high quality and easy way to watch Wall E.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
e: wrong thread

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had no idea this would be such a controversial pick, y’all are fuckin weird sometimes

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
IMO all movies should get a Criterion-level release, especially mass market popcorn stuff since those tend to get maybe one good release when they’re new and then ten billion barebones cookie-cutter releases later.

People love to think of Criterion as this elite vanguard of what does and doesn’t count as ~*Cinema*~ when it should primarily function as a way for movies to get extremely comprehensive releases that other labels aren’t willing to put the time and effort into making.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Who's complaining about it?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Looks like the Criterion blu-ray of Take Out is arguably a step down from the old DVD, or at best only a slight improvement. Based on the side-by-sides on DVD Beaver, I think the color timing on the Kino version looks better for about half the examples.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Egbert Souse posted:

They were only distributing Ghibli. That's why the GKIDS Blu-rays use the same dub tracks and are essentially the same discs with a few exceptions.

There's one big difference - all of the subtitle tracks are now the correct version based on the Japanese scripts. A bunch of the Disney releases used dubtitles instead.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

What's amusing about Wall-E is that I never picked up the UHD and still have the original 2008 Blu-ray (one of the very first I bought), so a Criterion 4K upgrade is exactly aimed towards me. Even if Disney's edition is fine, Criterion at least means better menus, no forced trailers, and better packaging. That's worth the difference between $18 and $25.

Cemetry Gator posted:

There's one big difference - all of the subtitle tracks are now the correct version based on the Japanese scripts. A bunch of the Disney releases used dubtitles instead.

Forgot about that. I believe Nausicaa also only had English main titles

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Origami Dali posted:

Who's complaining about it?

I think that Disney, specifically, should be barred from having any films in the criterion collection, not because the collection is some unimpeachable curated selection of cinematic art, but because Disney really wants the perceived artistic legitimacy of having films in the collection, because they know people think the collection is an unimpeachable curated selection of cinematic art, and they don’t deserve to get what they want

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I think that Disney, specifically, should be barred from having any films in the criterion collection, not because the collection is some unimpeachable curated selection of cinematic art, but because Disney really wants the perceived artistic legitimacy of having films in the collection, because they know people think the collection is an unimpeachable curated selection of cinematic art, and they don’t deserve to get what they want

Why do you think studios campaign to have their movies nominated for the Oscars?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Splint Chesthair posted:

Why do you think studios campaign to have their movies nominated for the Oscars?

Criterion shouldn’t be considered the Oscars.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The_Rob posted:

Criterion shouldn’t be considered the Oscars.

I'm not saying they're the same thing, but my point is studios other than Disney absolutely chase "perceived artistic integrity" all the time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Considering that Disney owns a pretty decent chunk of American cinema, refusing to play ball with them out of pique doesn’t seem like a great move for Criterion to make.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Gripweed posted:

Considering that Disney owns a pretty decent chunk of American cinema, refusing to play ball with them out of pique doesn’t seem like a great move for Criterion to make.

Disney should not be allowed to have the market share they have and rebuking them at every chance is the responsibility and moral duty of anyone who gives a poo poo about film at all.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I mean again I hope Wall E is used to pad their sales and make it to where they can release a whole slew of more obscure things. I won’t be worried until we’re getting a ton more Pixar releases or something.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Also them outsourcing/loosening their grip on even some of their library for physical media distribution is a good way of disputing the "physical media is dead" myth for numerous reasons. As HBO Max is currently showing and as Disney's own/old The Vault approach showed, if you wanted something to not be seen, the easiest way to do it is...not let it be seen. Boutique labels like Vinegar Syndrome are already seconding this as being good for them/endorsing physical media as something that's not going away as much as the "physical media is dead" myth/memes want it to

https://twitter.com/jlalibs/status/1567908965006065664

Ideally this continues with more old/archived stuff that actually hasn't had an audience for a while, if ever, but you could have started with worse

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Disney should not be allowed to have the market share they have and rebuking them at every chance is the responsibility and moral duty of anyone who gives a poo poo about film at all.

I'm sure Criterion would be thrilled if anti-trust laws were a thing in America again. But for the time being they need to be an actual functioning company in the entertainment industry requires not intentionally pissing off the entertainment trust. I mean, at the rate Warner Brothers is going in a couple years Disney might own all of their stuff too. Refusing to work with Disney will quickly mean Criterion just can't do American movies at all.

Chris James 2 posted:

Also them outsourcing/loosening their grip on even some of their library for physical media distribution is a good way of disputing the "physical media is dead" myth for numerous reasons. As HBO Max is currently showing and as Disney's own/old The Vault approach showed, if you wanted something to not be seen, the easiest way to do it is...not let it be seen. Boutique labels like Vinegar Syndrome are already seconding this as being good for them/endorsing physical media as something that's not going away as much as the "physical media is dead" myth/memes want it to

https://twitter.com/jlalibs/status/1567908965006065664

Ideally this continues with more old/archived stuff that actually hasn't had an audience for a while, if ever, but you could have started with worse

Yeah this is another good point. Companies abandoning physical media is a serious issue. Disney working with a physical media company is a positive development.

Personally I'm hoping for an Arrow Video release of Prey.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Good outcome: Criterion gets access to do good releases of the massive Disney catalog because Disney sure isn't

Bad outcome: Disney buys Criterion and has them release Iron Man for art house cred

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Roth posted:

Good outcome: Criterion gets access to do good releases of the massive Disney catalog because Disney sure isn't

Bad outcome: Disney buys Criterion and has them release Iron Man for art house cred

I mean, it’s pretty inarguable that Iron Man is extremely important in the history of cinema.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 9, 2022

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Roth posted:

I would buy Iron Man on Criterion UHD :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lol come on man we’re talking about who can and can’t release a 4K version of a kid’s movie, not a moralistic fight for the soul of modern cinema.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I mean, it’s pretty inarguable that Iron Man is extremely important in the history of cinema.

More or less than Criterion's Armageddon?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Iron Man on Criterion but all of the essays are about how the relationship between Disney, War on Terror imagery and the military is hosed up

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Jeff Bridges does call Iron Man a "$200 million student film." If they've got Following

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lol come on man we’re talking about who can and can’t release a 4K version of a kid’s movie, not a moralistic fight for the soul of modern cinema.

Disney has been front and center in trying to dictate who can and can't see certain movies. I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for harboring a blanket stance against them.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Disney has been front and center in trying to dictate who can and can't see certain movies. I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for harboring a blanket stance against them.

Not to mention Disney doesn’t need the boutique art film dvd distribution company to release a special edition of a movie.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think Wall-E is a great film, but it's also very easily accessible for almost everyone, so I think there is that element that Disney doesn't really need a prestige release for one of their mainstream releases.

However, I think this is likely them testing the waters with a safe bet and if it leads to boutiques getting to release their more obscure stuff and restoring their old animation then I can't complain about that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

If this opens up the vaults a bit then that will be a net positive, but as a micro-cinema worker I can tell you that Disney's policies on repertory cinema are absolutely revolting, so anyone who is able to have a voice on the matter without threat of retribution should def not be cutting a bitch some slack or whatever.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, in the end Disney are evil and have been a terrible influence on the industry in general so I really don't blame anyone for not setting that aside for one of the most popular Pixar movies getting a nice release.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah but even then you can just... not buy it? Like this is only an issue if you're a weird completionist about Criterion and feel a need to buy everything they put out.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Despite existing as a movie studio for a hundred years, Disney remains a little known multi-billion dollar corporation with its effects on the film industry obscured. The cachet of the much more recognized Criterion company is all it needs to completely dominate the cultural consciousness once and for all.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I'm more surprised that Disney would allow Criterion to access a Pixar title so to me it's a welcome addition. It's not the first Disney title to get the treatment so trying to be a gatekeeper for the brand is a fool's errand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Wall-e killed godard. sad to say