Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

munce
Oct 23, 2010

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/le-monde-...996323_124.html

quote:

Intensification of extreme weather events fuels conflict in Africa
The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) pointed out the risk of massive population displacement due to the scarcity of water resources.

"High water stress is estimated to affect about 250 million people in Africa and is expected to displace up to 700 million people by 2030,"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

stress? have you tried to get a PS5? lemme tell you about stress

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Risk of multiple climate tipping points escalates above 1.5°C global warming

quote:

The Sixth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), stated that risks of triggering climate tipping points become high by around 2°C above preindustrial temperatures and very high by 2.5–4°C.

This new analysis indicates that Earth may have already left a "safe" climate state when temperatures exceeded approximately 1°C warming. A conclusion of the research is therefore that even the United Nations' Paris Agreement goal to limit warming to well-below 2°C and preferably 1.5°C is not enough to fully avoid dangerous climate change. According to the assessment, tipping point likelihood increases markedly in the "Paris range" of 1.5–2°C warming, with even higher risks beyond 2°C.

The study provides strong scientific support for the Paris Agreement and associated efforts to limit global warming to 1.5°C, because it shows that the risk of tipping points escalates beyond this level. To have a 50% chance of achieving 1.5°C and thus limiting tipping point risks, global greenhouse gas emissions must be cut by half by 2030, reaching net-zero by 2050.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

road was especially reflective this morning and I started seeing all the life crushed down into asphalt as I was driving just endless mountains and caves and trees and dinosaurs crushed into shiny black flatness spanning out into forever covering the globe like a warm corpse blanket

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

kater posted:

road was especially reflective this morning and I started seeing all the life crushed down into asphalt as I was driving just endless mountains and caves and trees and dinosaurs crushed into shiny black flatness spanning out into forever covering the globe like a warm corpse blanket

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

kater posted:

my street in queens is getting resurfaced today

thank you, ancient trees

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

need to post the pic

quote:

The location of climate tipping elements in the cryosphere (blue), biosphere (green) and ocean/atmosphere (orange), and global warming levels their tipping points will likely be triggered at. Pins are colored according to our central global warming threshold estimate being below 2°C, i.e. within the Paris Agreement range (red, circles); between 2 and 4°C, i.e. accessible with current policies (pink, diamonds); and 4°C and above (purple, triangles). Credit: Designed by Globaia for the Earth Commission, PIK, SRC and Exeter University

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

I miss arf

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Oglethorpe posted:

need to post the pic

I don't live near any of those markers, I should be fine

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

used to be you'd take a thread out for a day and there's be 10, 20 arf posts on it. lucky if you even see one these days

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Oglethorpe posted:

need to post the pic

so many good things

permafrost thawing

boreal forest expansion

central africa greening

why is climate change bad again? :smug:

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

kater posted:

It's fun looking back at elementary school and remembering young kids didn't have grass or a field for recess. You had to stay on the asphalt if you were before grade 4, nominally because it was closer to the school building

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
at my elementary school we were allowed to go on the grass and it was far enough away from the minders that we started a fight club out there. then we got caught and couldnt go on the grass anymore

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Cuttlefush posted:

at my elementary school we were allowed to go on the grass and it was far enough away from the minders that we started a fight club out there. then we got caught and couldnt go on the grass anymore

This is the "freedom" offered by the capitalist system. You can do as you wish, but as soon as a child begins to experience the thrill of real freedom the fascist elements of the system (teachers) take away their right to touch grass

Climate change is just the fascist capitalists attempting to end touching grass on a global scale. It's like a poem, it rhymes

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

whatever, they say that all the time. it’s fine! drat doomer scientists. maybe they should just cheer up and be happy with what they have.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

so many good things

permafrost thawing

boreal forest expansion

central africa greening

why is climate change bad again? :smug:

I don't think they're a reason to throw in the towel or anything but the longer wet phases in the sahel and the big boreal forest expansions are still kinda neat

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

kater posted:

https://youtu.be/jA1wB9uLG_Y

But roads instead

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Tipping point? I don't tip at any point :smuggo:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I love summer leaves. The orange wildfire sky really makes the colors pop

Only registered members can see post attachments!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
This heat wave has really loving sucked, esp with the high dewpoints and no relief at night.

*sits backwards in chair* You know what other place is relentlessly hot?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Come back arf

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

unwantedplatypus posted:

Isn't it my right to post?

Cringe exists to be posted. And posted it will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

RC Cola posted:

Come back arf

he hasn't posted since i put him on probation :(

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
According to the arf lifecycle once a thread embraces his spam he leaves it behind to find a new thread to spam

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

relax, arf took a month's break from posting itt at one point

when arf is ready to cringe, he will come.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Arf posting is cyclical. Why don't you understand this? We are simply too insignificant to affect it.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/MarkWallaceGlos/status/1568332902697693186?s=20&t=Xq0aB7-LYTOi6OVOTG2H4g

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Stereotype posted:

and yet another thread tipping point has been reached, with poster biodiversity continuously declining unabated....

:negative:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
cringe levels decreasing in Q4 2022 was just a temporary false reduction as the thread temporarily absorbed more cringe than expected in the short term

unfortunately this means that cringe levels will be increasing faster than expected going forward once cringe capacity has been reached

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

quote:

In his Friday speech, the new king did not mention the words "climate change," and that, in and of itself, spoke volumes.

that's the basis of this article

the whole basis

dude didn't say something in an unrelated speech

i mean, the king advocated for the most milquetoast do nothing net zero nonsense and has no more power to do anything about it than as prince so it doesn't matter anyway

but lol that the idea of any dissent on the subject still causes consternation

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Stereotype posted:

Do you see what you did :( please let me eat the arf probe next time, this thread needs him to survive

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I've always wanted to be in a tropical storm. It looks like it'll mostly miss, but by God it'll happen one of these days.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

RC Cola posted:

Do you see what you did :( please let me eat the arf probe next time, this thread needs him to survive

its time to open the cringe credits marketplace

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Complications posted:

i mean, the king advocated for the most milquetoast do nothing net zero nonsense and has no more power to do anything about it than as prince so it doesn't matter anyway

you’ll be embarrassed when Dark Chas puts the oil barons in their place

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

mawarannahr posted:

it’s amazing how much time people spend posting. imagine if the whole world was so devoted to anything in their lives as the average poster is to posting.

https://danwarren.bandcamp.com/track/jagadish-chandra-bose

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Mirthless posted:

I don't think they're a reason to throw in the towel or anything but the longer wet phases in the sahel and the big boreal forest expansions are still kinda neat

the image has southern boreal dieback on the other side of northern boreal expansion

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

been having a big boreal forest expansion for 3 hours. when should I go to urgent care?

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

content so incredible I come here to gush over it with likeminded ppl

https://twitter.com/Weather_West/status/1568043820281102336

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
seems like they'll cancel each other out, nbd