Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
another teacher strike

https://twitter.com/DeedeeKIRO7/status/1562581607961096199

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

In Training posted:

curious what the deets will be in terms of gains. ive heard from teacher friends in NYC that the city has basically just refused to bargain at all and union leadership is telling them to just work without a contract once it expires in september. -_-

not surprising. teachers' unions across the country need to follow the CTU model and take over their locals with a militant caucus from the current leadership.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Verizon assholes fired me for trying to unionize my store so I helped these nice folks with their unionization instead

https://twitter.com/VzwUnion/status/1563287874015199234

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

Verizon assholes fired me for trying to unionize my store so I helped these nice folks with their unionization instead

Swag.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kingcobweb posted:

:hai:

Make them regret their actions, friendo.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/UnionElections/status/1553115658031874049

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What is ideologically objectionable about model trains.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

dudes rock

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Interactive map of current and upcoming strikes in the UK. There's a LOT of them:
https://www.strikemap.co.uk/

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Alkydere posted:

Saw a bunch of stuff on Reddit about this strike while surfing at work last night. The parents are indeed super pissed...at the administration, not the teachers. Turns out it's really hard to lay the blame at the teachers when your eldest comes home and says there was no air conditioning again today, and your youngest said there was A/C at his school but the vents were blowing black dust.

Awesome and I'm glad to be wrong

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Protest at Baltimore Starbucks today. They shut the store down.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
this has been a long time coming:

https://twitter.com/MLBPA_News/status/1564237263307001857

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
i was personally invested in this because i used to work for Card Kingdom and got fired because they were worried i'd help them unionize, lol

https://twitter.com/BellevueMOW/status/1564717601250775040

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Their commitment to CWA is as solid as any shield.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
really good piece about the failure of the modern UFW

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1566610326589767686

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

man i dunno, gently caress that lady, and gently caress the ny times for that opinion piece

the ufw hasn't organized many new farms because it's basically illegal now for organizers to go onto farmland. that's on lawmakers.

the recent march was hugely successful, full of hope, and pressured the assembly to pass 2183, which would go a long way to make is easier to organize new farms. the publicity of the march will only help. maybe newsom will veto it again, who knows, but before further steps are taken, this had to be tried

gently caress the new york times. every piece they publish about labor is antagonistic or aimed at undercutting success. cannot say gently caress the new york times enough. i spoke to them once, and never will again.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

man i dunno, gently caress that lady, and gently caress the ny times for that opinion piece

the ufw hasn't organized many new farms because it's basically illegal now for organizers to go onto farmland. that's on lawmakers.

the recent march was hugely successful, full of hope, and pressured the assembly to pass 2183, which would go a long way to make is easier to organize new farms. the publicity of the march will only help. maybe newsom will veto it again, who knows, but before further steps are taken, this had to be tried

gently caress the new york times. every piece they publish about labor is antagonistic or aimed at undercutting success. cannot say gently caress the new york times enough. i spoke to them once, and never will again.

I think passing that legislation is good, but I think her points are good ones. a lot of union leadership is making excuses for not organizing instead of finding ways to do it anyway.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i'm not on the ground there, but that's possibly true. i don't know. i do know that it's among the most challenging place to organize: migrant farmworkers in california.

the point i'm trying to make is potshot opinion articles in the loving times are not meant to be helpful. there are problems with ever single local in this country. there are always ways to be better. but that opinion piece is aimed at minimizing the obvious successes lately, even if they are not organizing new farms.

it's like getting mad at my football team for not beating alabama, even though they make it to the college football playoff regularly. there's work to do before that's possible

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/PetcoUnited/status/1567260083150782464

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

anyone know anything about filing ULP's over removing mask mandates during bargaining of a contract?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Hello organizing goons! I've been lurking this thread for awhile and recently began reading No Shortcuts, but the fight has come to my front door and I'm not nearly as prepared for it as I'd like to be. I've been working for sbux for almost six years and over the past couple I've ended up moving from the midwest to basically just north of corporate HQ, all the while being a big vocal proponent of organizing and unionization but never going so far as to actually start petitioning since I wasn't confident enough in my ability to get it done. Earlier this year we had a barista transfer in from the east coast, and as it happens they actually came from a store that they successfully helped unionize! We suspect our manager was not aware of their background, as apparently all the stores downtown outright refused to accept their transfer. This seemed like a big break for me because now someone who knew what they were doing would take the reigns while I just kept being a cheerleader. It's lazy thinking, I know, but I wanted to at least read the book first!

So basically after a month or so of asking people how they felt about unions and attending one after-work bar meet with a bunch of informational pamphlets, the organizing barista brought in cards and perhaps unsurprisingly, many people were significantly less willing to sign a card that says "I want to be in a union" versus just casually saying "I want to be in a union". They also made a sub-group in the goofy little groupme app that our store has to use to communicate, and presumably only invited folks they thought were onboard, only to quickly be met with lots of silent leaves and one barista outright saying "I don't want to be involved in this". Presumably that same barista went and tattled to our boss about it, because overnight our store was covered in anti-union stuff and our manager was whisking everyone away for tense, emotional one-on-one meetings where she did everything from threaten benefits to openly sob about how hard her job was going to get, which has even further depressed pro-union sentiment now because most people like our boss, and don't like seeing her sad. :v:

The reason I'm so sure that one specific barista tattled to our boss is that yesterday that same barista actually came to our store while not scheduled and basically confronted the organizing barista to try and intimidate them until I intervened, and then I just played dumb (i.e. not answering any question about who gave me a card or who I had been talking to about union stuff) until she got exasperated and left. Her given reason for opposing the union is that she doesn't work enough hours at the store to actually be employed there legitimately, and that a union would result in her losing her job, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me but I didn't want to escalate the conversation by saying as much right then. But honestly, the way she rolled up and basically tried to come after a coworker over this really got on my bad side and now I'm thinking it's time to step up and try to take a more active role in salvaging this, if it can be salvaged.

All of this is a lot of words to say: my store is unionizing, and management's first crackdown has already devastated our morale. Should I try to push for more out of store meetings and see if we can win people back over, or maybe suggest to the organizing barista that we back off for now and try to build a more reliable bloc before passing around cards again? I think enough cards have been signed that we could actually file, but there's no way in hell a vote now would go through with the narrative so firmly controlled by management.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
you jumped the gun in passing out cards that fast. how big is your store? before you drop cards you gotta build an Organizing Committee, which it seems like right now is just you and one other person. try to recruit people individually who you are certain aren’t just “yeah unions are cool” but won’t snitch on you and will actually do the work with you.

edit: instead of starting with “we should unionize!”, you should start these conversations with, “what do you want to change in this store?” and listen to people, and tell them how you as a group can change that with a union.

kingcobweb has issued a correction as of 12:15 on Sep 9, 2022

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

kingcobweb posted:

you jumped the gun in passing out cards that fast. how big is your store? before you drop cards you gotta build an Organizing Committee, which it seems like right now is just you and one other person. try to recruit people individually who you are certain aren’t just “yeah unions are cool” but won’t snitch on you and will actually do the work with you.

edit: instead of starting with “we should unionize!”, you should start these conversations with, “what do you want to change in this store?” and listen to people, and tell them how you as a group can change that with a union.

This.

Also, ask people who've had one-on-ones with the boss to get the dumb poo poo talking points. Make sure you have good responses to these but also use them as convo points where your coworkers can come to their own realizations about it.

For example, I worked at a place where the boss was ranting about the union wanting to take away their power over the schedule and how awful it'd be. It had some workers shook. So I just asked them "why does the boss need that control?" and "what would happen if we had a say in the schedule?" My coworkers walked to the conclusion pretty quickly.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah, I definitely got the impression that we were moving too fast but the other barista was very confident and I (again, lazily on my part) was willing to let them basically do all the actual work and decision-making. I've got a fairly good bead on the talking points my boss is using (you'll have to talk to someone else to get a shift covered! A store unionized in Canada and it didn't go super-great!) but I don't know what she said to one barista who we had pegged as a sure-fire supporter given that they recognized the organizing partner when they transferred in, signed a union card immediately, and even posted union stuff in the normal work chat. All I know is others said their one on one was "pretty intense" and when I reached out to them directly, they didn't want to talk with me about it.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Geight posted:

Yeah, I definitely got the impression that we were moving too fast but the other barista was very confident and I (again, lazily on my part) was willing to let them basically do all the actual work and decision-making. I've got a fairly good bead on the talking points my boss is using (you'll have to talk to someone else to get a shift covered! A store unionized in Canada and it didn't go super-great!) but I don't know what she said to one barista who we had pegged as a sure-fire supporter given that they recognized the organizing partner when they transferred in, signed a union card immediately, and even posted union stuff in the normal work chat. All I know is others said their one on one was "pretty intense" and when I reached out to them directly, they didn't want to talk with me about it.

Let people know that "captive audience" meetings are now illegal. Tell them "hey if you don't want to be part of the union stuff that's on you, but if they ask you to have a one-on-one with a manager ask them if its mandatory."

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

Let people know that "captive audience" meetings are now illegal. Tell them "hey if you don't want to be part of the union stuff that's on you, but if they ask you to have a one-on-one with a manager ask them if its mandatory."

Oh is that actually the case now? I remember reading some stuff about how the NLRB wants to make that so and issued a memo saying such, but wasn't sure if that was legally binding on its own or not. I wish I'd had that line only a week ago, but it'll still help a lot if I can use it.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Geight posted:

Oh is that actually the case now? I remember reading some stuff about how the NLRB wants to make that so and issued a memo saying such, but wasn't sure if that was legally binding on its own or not. I wish I'd had that line only a week ago, but it'll still help a lot if I can use it.

We filed a bunch of ULPs about it when they did captives at Verizon. So it's not like the cops are gonna walk up and start shooting managers for it (because lol at actually enforcing pro-worker labor laws), but that NLRB memo means they're illegal now, yeah.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
some real pathetic showing from the major UK unions

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

gjhfkdshkjglfhkjlglkg are you loving serious

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kingcobweb posted:

gjhfkdshkjglfhkjlglkg are you loving serious

yep, all the major unions suspended their planned strikes. it's incredibly pathetic.

unless...

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

wtf

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Not a UK person but this just seems like good politics. That country is so stuffed with lead-brained boomer royalists it would just be handing union busters free ammunition. The media is already lined up to crucify anyone not licking crown boots for the next few weeks.

Just do the strikes in a month before the winter gas shortages set in.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

yep, all the major unions suspended their planned strikes. it's incredibly pathetic.

unless...

holy poo poo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ekuNNN posted:

lol, the onion never misses

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
LETS GOOOOO

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1568326196936450052

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mrmcd posted:

Not a UK person but this just seems like good politics. That country is so stuffed with lead-brained boomer royalists it would just be handing union busters free ammunition. The media is already lined up to crucify anyone not licking crown boots for the next few weeks.

Just do the strikes in a month before the winter gas shortages set in.

Lol, what makes you think they’d support the strikes anyways?

All this shows is that the British have no solidarity with their 3rd world comrades.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lol, what makes you think they’d support the strikes anyways?

All this shows is that the British have no solidarity with their 3rd world comrades.

It sucks, but as someone with a lot of friends in the UK this really sounds like the proper political response. Let the nation have their mourning which would suck all the oxygen out of the room anyways.

Then start Queen Charles the Nonce's reign with coordinated strikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wonder if US rail is really going to walk out. This has been simmering for like 6 months and it seems like poo poo will actually explode this week on the 16th.