Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I'm back boys

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm not sure how to feel about choosing to be a octoling and the game opening up with Cuddlefish just talking about how stinky dirty and awful octopuses are then asking for my help lol

Wasn't he talking about Octarians? They're a different thing.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Octolings, are you able to switch to one eventually, if you did not initially choose them?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of Octolings, are you able to switch to one eventually, if you did not initially choose them?

You can do the opening character creation again at basically any time, I think.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

oh neat I've had thousands of expired points that I didn't know even existed

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
The Inklings really need to diversify their power generation options. Maybe build some more solar plants or somthing.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

anyone that names their character any variation of "Agent 3" is a huge fuckin dweeb and they deserve to be splatted nonstop

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wow, NOTHING is available until level 4, huh? Couple of weapons, sure. I only got to play for maybe 45 minutes today, did some single player, played 4 matches, and kept trying to access customization. Nothing.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Messed up but kinda makes sense considering he’s old and octolongs have only been accepted for a few years.

I did kind of kept expecting Cuttlefish to realize who he is talking to and then try to claim he doesn't see species or something.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Hellioning posted:

I did kind of kept expecting Cuttlefish to realize who he is talking to and then try to claim he doesn't see species or something.

didnt he already do that with Marina in the 2nd game?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Hellioning posted:

I mean he had that sorta kinda arc in Octo Expansion... That sure didn't last

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

throwing eggs into the basket is a huge game changer and it makes griz so much more fun now

I wasn't expecting it to make that big of a difference but it's night and day goddamn

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Relyssa posted:

I wasn't expecting it to make that big of a difference but it's night and day goddamn

Im already at the point where im getting grumpy at my teammates if i see them carry an egg all the way to the basket instead of throwing it

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

didnt he already do that with Marina in the 2nd game?

Exactly, which is why I expected it to come up again.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wow, NOTHING is available until level 4, huh? Couple of weapons, sure. I only got to play for maybe 45 minutes today, did some single player, played 4 matches, and kept trying to access customization. Nothing.

I got to level 4 after, like, an hour of play. It helped that my Splatoon 2 save data let me unlock my beloved N-ZAP '85 at level 1.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Im already at the point where im getting grumpy at my teammates if i see them carry an egg all the way to the basket instead of throwing it

Big same

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Throwing uses ink, so if you have a cluster of eggs at the basket and someone's thrown one recently it's just easier to run up and dump it.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Saint Freak posted:

Ground out enough points to grab that rewards bag real quick. Basically an expert at finding hidden poo poo on Nintendo webpages now.

I hadn't realized how many of those they had added so I could actually gotten enough points... but they seem to be out of the bags ::(

Oh well, will save them for the next game with a cool reward I guess.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The Golux posted:

I hadn't realized how many of those they had added so I could actually gotten enough points... but they seem to be out of the bags ::(

Oh well, will save them for the next game with a cool reward I guess.

set a calendar alarm to remind you to check on that, they evaporate after six months

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

The replay function is superb. Had a really close match, extremely scrappy, felt like the other team was all in sync with one another and we were all just doing our best to give as good as we got. We all managed to get splatted one after another in the last 20 seconds of the match so no real cohesion for a last push. In fact, it felt like a major throw. We won by around 2% so not nearly as close as I've seen, but watching back the last couple seconds and seeing just how various player moves impacted the game felt so great. I thought I screwed up taking on a crab tank and dying for my hubris, but grabbing its attention let another of my teammates grab back a huge swathe of territory it had been working to take.

Salmon Run is still great and I can't wait to clock in for my shift today. And I did the gachapon and snagged myself a new title, which definitely doesn't help my addictive personality one bit. I need MONEY and lots of it. In closing, game is good and fun and Splatoon.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

shame on an IGA posted:

set a calendar alarm to remind you to check on that, they evaporate after six months

yeah, I'm hoping they have something for pokeymans around release.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Please share tips for being not-bad. I manage like 2-3 kills per round with about the same deaths even when trying to run with another person nearby and very much focusing on marking turf rather than going for splats.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Iymarra posted:

Please share tips for being not-bad. I manage like 2-3 kills per round with about the same deaths even when trying to run with another person nearby and very much focusing on marking turf rather than going for splats.

push forward as far as you can as fast as you can, never stop moving, hide in the ink and back off for a second when you see the enemy so you have time to make a plan. fire your weapon as you cross your home turf at the start of the match but don't make a focused effort to cover it until the second or third time you get splatted. Turf Wars strongly rewards hyper aggressive play, maybe try a less precision focused weapon like the brush or aerospray

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Iymarra posted:

I am also bad but the one interesting piece of advice I saw recently is when given the choice, ink over the other team's colour rather than spread your ink to unpainted ground. That way, you're directly raising your percentage, while lowering theirs at the same time. If you ink blank spots, all you're doing is raising your number.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Spend a sec inking your own turf if your team misses a lot at the start, and its always better to use your special than lose it. Gives you more time to generate another, and a lot refund charge if you are splatted mid use like the bazooka.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Favourite tiny detail so far: the giant screen in the lobby is an old model Switch, it has a USB-C port, speaker cutouts, a kickstand and Joy-Con rails. :allears:

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

switch pro with curved display confirmed??????

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I just got a new phone with a folding screen so why not a roll-up switch.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Anyone else having horrible connection issues? I feel like for every 5 successful matches I'm getting 10 "connection error"s and two "a player dropped."

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Veemo

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

This bloblobber kit is absolutely oppressive for splat zones if you've got some shooter players enabling you. Love to lob blobs for massive long range territory control

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Octatonic posted:

This bloblobber kit is absolutely oppressive for splat zones if you've got some shooter players enabling you. Love to lob blobs for massive long range territory control

So you're saying it hasn't changed much? ::p

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Still lobbin blobs like a slob

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Zoig posted:

Spend a sec inking your own turf if your team misses a lot at the start, and its always better to use your special than lose it. Gives you more time to generate another, and a lot refund charge if you are splatted mid use like the bazooka.

I just won a match by .3%, always ink your spawn folks

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Possibly dumb question here, but how hard is Splatoon to get into? Specifically for someone that hasn't played a multiplayer shooter closing in on a decade ago and especially not one on a console.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

SimplyCosmic posted:

Possibly dumb question here, but how hard is Splatoon to get into? Specifically for someone that hasn't played a multiplayer shooter closing in on a decade ago and especially not one on a console.

Not very, especially since killing the other team has much less of an impact than just spraying ink everywhere. If you like shooters at all then I'd recommend it. If you're not big into the competitive aspect then salmon run is an extremely good co-op experience.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SimplyCosmic posted:

Not hard at all, this isn't something demanding ultra twitch reflexes. Remember the primary audience for this game still have a bedtime.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Did Rainmaker have checkpoints before? I don't remember it having those before. I like the change but I'm going to miss dunking 20 seconds into a match if you have a good team.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

njsykora posted:

Not hard at all, this isn't something demanding ultra twitch reflexes. Remember the primary audience for this game still have a bedtime.

I don't want to shame my family by constantly getting owned by 10-year-olds.

But it's kind of a weirdly cute game that keeps drawing my attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SimplyCosmic posted:

I guess I'm mostly worried about the shame I'll bring to my family by constantly getting owned by 10-year-olds.

But it's kind of a weirdly cute game that keeps drawing my attention.

This is my first real Splatoon experience, and I'm having a blast.

I'm 39.