Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

ow is designed from the ground up that hero switching is a vital and completely intended part of countering characters. beyond just the baseline :eyeroll: at the battlepass, that's why people are focused on that specific point

It was an awful design decision and they've been trying to get away from hard counters with OW2. Less ultimates, less generic crowd control etc.

The counter pick argument is extra silly because no one in the trenches of ranked, which is the only place affected by this, knows what to counterpick anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That's bullshit, people counterpick all the time. I still gently caress around on diamond smurfs from time to time and as soon as a reaper comes out, someone picks cree. As soon as pharah comes out, people pick widow.

Sure you get the odd idiot who won't but that's games.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

well it's not just for counters. there's also this hero is better for this phase of the map or in this ult and timer situation, and so on.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
hoping gundam evolution sates my desire to play overwatch here in 2 weeks

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I am still salty about the forced picks for your team: you HAVE to have x number of whatevers. Look, maybe we all want to run tanks, why do we need to have a healer?

Haven't played OW in a while, been playing Apex Legends, so maybe I might actually be good at aiming. Junkrat is my fave but sometimes aiming is not overrated.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gundam evo not having roles at all is 99% of the reason im excited for it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really didn't like how the guns and netcode felt in the gundam beta, and the maps really sucked, but maybe it'll be better in retail

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Gundam Evo was awesome as soon as I found my Soldier 76 equivalent character

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Evo kinda felt like your team was at a disadvantage if no one was playing the Sazabi, and Barbatos was annoying as poo poo. That said, between the transparency of the devs on their Beta reports with their planned balance adjustments, how measured those changes are, and how outright fun the game was, I’m really looking forward to the launch.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

dogstile posted:

That's bullshit, people counterpick all the time. I still gently caress around on diamond smurfs from time to time and as soon as a reaper comes out, someone picks cree. As soon as pharah comes out, people pick widow.

Sure you get the odd idiot who won't but that's games.

lol yea i play almost entirely arcade and even in quickplay classic, the mode that everyone uses to avoid the role queue waits and slam-pick their faves, people counterpick and change up comps mid-match pretty regularly

imagine defending this poo poo, like what's wrong with you that you see a change like this and begin trying to rationalize it as good, actually

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

gundam evo not having roles at all is 99% of the reason im excited for it

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Kiriko looks cool.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
It's 100 GB though why

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Wheeee posted:

lol yea i play almost entirely arcade and even in quickplay classic, the mode that everyone uses to avoid the role queue waits and slam-pick their faves, people counterpick and change up comps mid-match pretty regularly

imagine defending this poo poo, like what's wrong with you that you see a change like this and begin trying to rationalize it as good, actually

You know the base roster is unlocked for everyone and it's only the new characters, right? Just say that you don't like having to pay/grind for poo poo that used to be free, that's reasonable enough. Blizz can still gently caress this up by making the new characters paid-only once the battlepass expires, but as is, it's still a better system than any other f2p fps I can think of.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://youtu.be/g-nMGtaAoXw

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah I'm curious how they'll handle hero releases. Like, say you weren't around to play enough and didn't have time to unlock whatever hero during a battle pass run. Once that battle pass season expires, and a new hero drops with the next pass, how will you unlock the previous hero then?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Smite is still the best way to do the whole hero unlock thing in a F2P title. Just drop a one-time fee and unlock every hero in perpetuity.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

teagone posted:

Yeah I'm curious how they'll handle hero releases. Like, say you weren't around to play enough and didn't have time to unlock whatever hero during a battle pass run. Once that battle pass season expires, and a new hero drops with the next pass, how will you unlock the previous hero then?

I'd assume the new OW2 currency. OW1's is being transferred over but "there are things in OW2 that are not purchasable with those OW1 credits".

So:
- Pay for the BattlePass get the character
- Don't pay for it and grind to get the character
- Pay for/Earn OW2 credits, and then buy the character

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nutsak posted:

I'd assume the new OW2 currency. OW1's is being transferred over but "there are things in OW2 that are not purchasable with those OW1 credits".

So:

This is exactly how I would put money on it working.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Wheeee posted:

I mean, there's hardly any counterpicking going on right now on the current professional meta. If they don't need counterpicking, why would we?

(:rimshot:)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jimbot posted:

Smite is still the best way to do the whole hero unlock thing in a F2P title. Just drop a one-time fee and unlock every hero in perpetuity.

i feel like DotA2's is better, which is to say there's just no fee and you get every new hero

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Yeah any grind to unlock new kit is lame, and having cash be an option to circumvent the grind incentivizes the devs to make new poo poo overpowered for profit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nutsak posted:

So:

That makes sense. I was assuming that each new hero is tied to a specific battle pass season.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Arzachel posted:

You know the base roster is unlocked for everyone and it's only the new characters, right? Just say that you don't like having to pay/grind for poo poo that used to be free, that's reasonable enough. Blizz can still gently caress this up by making the new characters paid-only once the battlepass expires, but as is, it's still a better system than any other f2p fps I can think of.

cringe

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I would simply not defend games companies moving towards predatory transaction models

Alex Earl Cash
Feb 21, 2011

Nutsak posted:

So:

Heroes will be on the free track of the battlepasses, supposedly. So no paying to grind.
Most battlepasses are not even about grinding and more about consistency: play some games every day and you'll get everything.

Perhaps bliz will do it differently.
Perhaps bliz will gently caress it up.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
At that point, if its free and anyone can easily earn them, why is it on a battlepass at all? All it does is make people who don't religiously play Overwatch 2 behind on earning characters. And that's a dangerous road to walk in this kind of game.

Especially with how Blizz balances. Imagine spending your limited currency on a hero whose battlepass you missed, only for Blizzard to change their playstyle into something unrecognizable. Or not having, say, Brigitte unlocked during her reign of meta terror.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

I'm glad you're here to protect the honor of *checks notes* the game that created the concept of time limited lootboxes?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Bee posted:

At that point, if its free and anyone can easily earn them, why is it on a battlepass at all? All it does is make people who don't religiously play Overwatch 2 behind on earning characters. And that's a dangerous road to walk in this kind of game.

Especially with how Blizz balances. Imagine spending your limited currency on a hero whose battlepass you missed, only for Blizzard to change their playstyle into something unrecognizable. Or not having, say, Brigitte unlocked during her reign of meta terror.

Its because they want to encourage FOMO.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Arzachel posted:

I'm glad you're here to protect the honor of *checks notes* the game that created the concept of time limited lootboxes?

I will agree TF2 did its lootbox poo poo way worse, and it does not get nearly enough guff for being the progenitor of all of this.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Arzachel posted:

buddy you're the one defending the grind to play pay to win game replacing (not succeeding, replacing) the game that had a flat fee of entry for all gameplay features

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Minera posted:

buddy you're the one defending the grind to play pay to win game replacing (not succeeding, replacing) the game that had a flat fee of entry for all gameplay features

lmao has it been long enough for people to get nostalgic about loot boxes of all the things

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Arzachel posted:

lmao has it been long enough for people to get nostalgic about loot boxes of all the things

you are so loving stupid lmao

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

So I hear overwatch is going free to play.

As in I’m free to play other games so I don’t have to deal with pay to win garbage were the teams aren’t even.

By by bnet

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

And the rest of us are free to play without you.

It is a Win-Win situation. :byewhore:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

adhuin posted:

And the rest of us are free to play without you.

It is a Win-Win situation. :byewhore:

I mean don’t get me wrong I’d love to keep playing the game but if all 10 players don’t have the same tools it’ll be just as fun as turning God mode on.

I just can’t have fun with games where money is what makes teams even or not.

Ill have to see what they do but the silence in the face of the internets reaction doesn’t make me hopeful.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The heroes being grind unlocks once they're off a battlepass matters a lot more in Overwatch than it does in other F2Ps or games like R6 Siege because the roster is smaller and classes are more specialized, especially for tank and healer roles. If you don't have Kiriko unlocked then you're locked out of 13% of the healer characters lol

It's way worse than a game like Siege where there's probably a character that functions similarly to the new one added and everyone dies in one headshot anyway, or a game like LoL where the roster is well into the triple digits.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Arzachel posted:

They also thought people would play multiple characters, switching depending on the situation, and that characters hard countering each other was fun and cool gameplay

People don’t play this way? That’s how I play, switch to Winston to kill the junk rat etc.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
No. I slam pick hanzo all day everyday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Still think the dps "30% ultimate save" passive should be universal and dps should get something else