Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
a huge percentage of the benefit gained in a DAC is a fancy/stable power source and doing all the conversion away from the EM-generating parts inside the computer. once you’ve accomplished those two things, the “sophistication” of the actual DAC circuitry hits diminishing returns SO fast. i really like my Bifrost 2, but i deffo spent a premium to get something that looks nice on a desk. i couldn’t tell a meaningful difference vs. the old AKM4490 Bifrost 1. AKM supremacy!! they figured it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I can't believe somebody came in here and white knighted for Bose, a premium headphone company still selling $200+ products with Micro USB ports.

My girlfriend's $25 wifi scope even has a USB C port. The Nintendo Switch, which came out 5 years ago, has USB C port. Bose is just cheap, and knows they can save a buck because the people who purchase their products are too uninformed to care.

Death to Micro USB.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Gay Retard posted:

I can't believe somebody came in here and white knighted for Bose, a premium headphone company still selling $200+ products with Micro USB ports.

My girlfriend's $25 wifi scope even has a USB C port. The Nintendo Switch, which came out 5 years ago, has USB C port. Bose is just cheap, and knows they can save a buck because the people who purchase their products are too uninformed to care.

Death to Micro USB.
gotta keep up that 12.65 posts per day average over two decades with some kind of dumb bullshit

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

redeyes posted:

PSA: after testing a LOT of iems, amps.. I have to recommend anyone that cares about natural organic sound, get an AK based DAC. I can a/b/x test Sabre 10/10 times and tried it over the last 3 days. I cant stand Sabre dacs, even my most expensive one. My least expensive AK dac beats it sounding more realistic and nicer and more musical.

*shrug*

I’m going to argue that in modern equipment, the implementation matters a lot more than dac chip.

For example, I trust the engineers at RME to know what they’re doing. The ADI-2 DAC had phenomenal specs when it was released with an AKM dac chip inside.

The AKM factory had a total fire in late 2020. There’s still a massive disruption. Lots of gear that I rely on professionally has either been redesigned or is simply unavailable.

RME revised the ADI-2 DAC to use an ESS Sabre chip and their published SNR and THD specs improved. They say “ADI-2 DACs with AK4493 and ES9028Q2M are neither sonically nor visually easily distinguishable.”

If anyone would be complaining, it’s Head-Fi nerds who spent $1300 on a dac, but I haven’t seen any change in the praises sung to the ADI-2.

Here’s an RME engineer explaining their change from AKM to ESS in the ADI-2 dac. https://youtu.be/43kkU49sRLo

This feels a little like a “Ford vs Chevy” argument since both manufacturers (when they were in full production) made chips to hit different market segments)

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 7, 2022

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If I ever decide to go fully stupid on this hobby I’m going to buy a RME, if only for the awesome frequency metering on the screen during playback.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gay Retard posted:

Death to Micro USB.

But Micro-USB give a more warm, natural sound!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mobby_6kl posted:

I prefer the sound of classic full-size type B. It's bigger so the bits don't get as turbulent as they flow through.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i know it’s been a common standard for as my old rear end has been alive and badly obsolete compared to a modern (i.e. not micro) USB interface, but something about optical toslink still impresses some part of my caveman brain

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Audio jack best jack

Passburger
May 4, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

The same result can be achieved by shaving CDs! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-QxLAxwxkM

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

TenementFunster posted:

i know it’s been a common standard for as my old rear end has been alive and badly obsolete compared to a modern (i.e. not micro) USB interface, but something about optical toslink still impresses some part of my caveman brain
It may be old, but if all you need is stereo at "CD quality" it still does just as well as USB and eliminates all possible electrical interference issues. And yeah, anything using fiber will always be cooler in my mind.

It's only obsolete in home theater applications where it just doesn't have the bandwidth.

Technically Toshiba has extended the spec to support significantly higher speeds (125 and even 150 megabits/sec) but there don't seem to have been any efforts to bring that to the AV world and it seems to have been quietly forgotten.

Relevant Technology Connections video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICcEOXVZ3F0

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

wolrah posted:

It may be old, but if all you need is stereo at "CD quality" it still does just as well as USB and eliminates all possible electrical interference issues. And yeah, anything using fiber will always be cooler in my mind.

It's only obsolete in home theater applications where it just doesn't have the bandwidth.

Technically Toshiba has extended the spec to support significantly higher speeds (125 and even 150 megabits/sec) but there don't seem to have been any efforts to bring that to the AV world and it seems to have been quietly forgotten.
USB compatibility can (still) be spotty, too. i used (copper) SPDIF on my old motherboard because the USB would send a pulse that triggered a loud relay in the DAC every 5 seconds whenever the computer hibernated. and let’s be honest, even as a huge dork for this poo poo, >99% of my music is 16/44.1k and the other ~1% is probably just BS upscales anyhow.

i’d love a high bitrate toslink tho, but HDMI is so good that it nearly killed every other A/V connector

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Wow the Sundara's are down to $300. Time to buy (from an easy to return to place).

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Russian Bear posted:

Wow the Sundara's are down to $300. Time to buy (from an easy to return to place).

Just be sure to check that the cable is absolutely 100% inserted fully and correctly in each channel. A lot of people returning them over that!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

anyone actually noticed a difference with using LDAC? i'm thinking of getting a bluetooth transmitter to extend the range of my Sony XM4s and i'm deciding between getting a cheap bluetooth USB adapter and something like the Fiio BTA30 Pro which is a fancier bluetooth transmitter with LDAC support

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

shrike82 posted:

anyone actually noticed a difference with using LDAC? i'm thinking of getting a bluetooth transmitter to extend the range of my Sony XM4s and i'm deciding between getting a cheap bluetooth USB adapter and something like the Fiio BTA30 Pro which is a fancier bluetooth transmitter with LDAC support

I think you'd need to have a combination of exceptionally analytical hearing and an incredible pair of headphones to tell the difference between LDAC and some of the others but I might be wrong on that.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Drains battery faster and is still Bluetooth so like, "best of the bad" kind of situation wrt audio quality but the tradeoffs in convenience might be worth considering depending on what kind of product you want.

True wireless? Probably a bad idea!

Big ol' ANC headphones? Probably a good idea!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

frytechnician posted:

I think you'd need to have a combination of exceptionally analytical hearing and an incredible pair of headphones to tell the difference between LDAC and some of the others but I might be wrong on that.

It's not that hard to tell the difference between a low bit rate codec like SBC compared to high rate codecs like Apt-X or LDAC. Hearing the difference between various high bit rate codecs is more difficult, and depends entirely on the implementation of said codecs with your gear. AAC, for example, has notoriously lovely implementation on many Android phones and often sounds noticeably worse than on Apple hardware.

All that said, if you're using your headphones for working out or travelling/commuting it probably doesn't matter that much, and you should probably prioritize things like battery life or ANC instead.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

grack posted:

All that said, if you're using your headphones for working out or travelling/commuting it probably doesn't matter that much, and you should probably prioritize things like battery life or ANC instead.

I hate how the shift to “true wirelessness” has led to a rise in disposability vs designing things with the intent to be kept/repaired/at least recycled, but I cannot deny how much convenience and comfort you get from shrinking your ANC buds to their smallest and least obtrusive possible form factor

the ability to naturally orient your head on an airplane/car/bus/train seat or on a pillow and just conk the gently caress out with zero regard for cables or earcups or the physical body of your headphones is such a massive gamechanger

as somebody who grew up flying internationally a lot, first with lovely airline headphones, and later with Walkman/iPod headphones and earbuds, and eventually with knockoff QuietComforts, I feel like I no longer have to choose between my hearing and my neck, or something like that

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

apparently windows 10 and 11 relatively recently introduced AAC support so i'm less interested in LDAC now

it sounded like there was a bigger gap between LDAC and SBC

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I briefly mentioned this earlier but is it normal for the XM4 earpads to get all wrinkled after like, one use? I've had mine for less than 2 weeks it's silly, but kind of annoys me.

out of the box they looked like this.

then after literally one use, they permananty (not mine, but very close to how mine look) started look like this and never bounce back.

I only ask because the demo unit at target, which I am sure have seen much more use and abuse still looked brand new and wrinkle free. I'm wondering if I am just being silly/should get over it, or if it's maybe worth calling Sony and seeing if they will send me free replacement pads. I dunno, like I said in my last post it's a stupid gripe and doesn't really affect anything, but after paying that much for headphones, and the form factor being at least a little bit of a selling point it just sort of annoys me.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Need a recommendation for a PC gaming headset - has anyone tried EPOS?

My Sennheisers finally died and I need to replace them for PC gaming. A headset is almost critical over headphones + mic as desktop space is at a bit of a premium for me, a standalone mic would have to have a very small footprint. I have an Arctic 7p+ that I can share between my PS5 and PC for the time being but that will get annoying - plus the Sennheisers just sounded better. I'm not too picky between wired vs. wireless, since these would be exclusively for use on the PC. Would like to keep it <$150 but these will see frequent use, I can stretch that if needed. If there's a better thread for this, let me know. Thanks!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Get whatever headphones you want and a modmic

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Dogen posted:

Get whatever headphones you want and a modmic

With $100 leftover, what's the best bet for gaming headphones? That seems pricey for a mic, drat. Is it that good?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Need a recommendation for a PC gaming headset - has anyone tried EPOS?

My Sennheisers finally died and I need to replace them for PC gaming. A headset is almost critical over headphones + mic as desktop space is at a bit of a premium for me, a standalone mic would have to have a very small footprint. I have an Arctic 7p+ that I can share between my PS5 and PC for the time being but that will get annoying - plus the Sennheisers just sounded better. I'm not too picky between wired vs. wireless, since these would be exclusively for use on the PC. Would like to keep it <$150 but these will see frequent use, I can stretch that if needed. If there's a better thread for this, let me know. Thanks!

The EPOS PC38X is pretty solid since it's really a Sennheiser HD500 series headphone with a mic attached. Plug it into the $9 Apple USB-C headphone adapter because that will be a major upgrade over your onboard audio.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love the turtle beach stealth 700s for PC/PS5 gaming personally.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I have the PC38X pre-EPOS rebrand. I find it to be a pretty solid headset. Low impedance so very easy to drive.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I am in the market for some in ear's for multi use.

Initially I was looking at the new pixel pro or the Sony that this thread recommended. But after looking into the fiio fh3 I am intrigued.

I like the idea of having cable connection for when I am at my desk/ at home, OR doing just light outdoor activities (with using the separate dac BTR5).

But what really intrigued me is the Bluetooth with microphone adapter (utws3) for my biking (when I would not want an extra device like the dac.

Does anyone have experience with these use cases and hardware combinations?

Should I just get the Sony xm4's, or these https://www.astellnkern.com/product/product_detail.jsp?productNo=131 instead?

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 10, 2022

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I found my gaming headset on the floor last night with an ear up smashed off (thanks, cat) and now I need new headphones!

Budget 300usd max (I’m in Canada) but less is better.

Use: plugged into a PC for gaming (FPS mostly) maybe some music and TV. No amp, but I’m not opposed to buying one if need be. I’ll be buying a separate mic as well.

I’ve been looking at DT770s, DT900 ProX and various sennheisers (560S) as these seem to pop up most as recommendations. I really like the look and apparent build quality of the Beyerdynamics for what that’s worth, and I’d prefer a headset built to last, ideally with replacement parts and cables available.

Thanks!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

anyone got recommendations on replacement pads, in this case for HD579? original foams is starting to fall apart and a nice leather might be nice. I see some on Amazon but I'm very skeptical.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i just wanna take a hot second to post about how much i still love my timeless

god they're so good.

that's all.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i just wanna take a hot second to post about how much i still love my timeless

god they're so good.

that's all.

A fair call. I would like to pop in that I still love my Raptgo-Hook-X (what a terrible name) which are also planar and apparently on par with the timeless. I don't have both so I can't comment other than planar IEMs are probably the future because mmm yeah.

New things come out and I'm like "that's nice, why would I need that?". It's great.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Salnotes Zero $20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN9_KeIXoIM

drat fine 20 bux iem!!! Way better than a ton of stuff even over $100 bux! Kind of blew me away.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

redeyes posted:

Salnotes Zero $20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN9_KeIXoIM

drat fine 20 bux iem!!! Way better than a ton of stuff even over $100 bux! Kind of blew me away.

Hell yeah and they are on Amazon for delivery tomorrow! Thanks for the tip!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

7hz kinda on a tear tbh, if you ignore the Eternal.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

njsykora posted:

7hz kinda on a tear tbh, if you ignore the Eternal.

i'm not a dioko fan either, but the zero and timeless are absolutely stellar.

e: to be fair, the dioko would be much better if the shuoer S12 didn't exist, but it does, so get that.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Which is the correct timeless planar on Amazon? The unique or linsoul one?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I don’t know about Unique but Linsoul are a well known and trusted store.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah this is the store I bought them from

Linsoul 7Hz Salnotes Zero HiFi 10mm Dynamic Driver in-Ear Earphone IEM with Metal Composite Diaphragm Stainless Steel Faceplate Detachable 2Pin OFC Cable (Black) https://a.co/hLSqJQb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Femur posted:

Which is the correct timeless planar on Amazon? The unique or linsoul one?

It’s the same product, just from different sellers. That said, I’ve ordered loads of stuff from Linsoul over the years, they’re one of the biggest chi fi retailers around, can’t go wrong ordering from them in this scenario.