Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i run octoprint from an old galaxy s6 i had lying around, works flawlessly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74xdib_-X38

And "here's how"

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I got a stupid big order this morning and am now looking to ramp up my resin capacity a bit.

Anyone familiar with the anycubic m3 max? Huge 13 inch screen which would go a long way for larger prints, but I've been rocking elagoo and am not super familiar with how anycubic operates.

Very happy with my saturns, but I haven't really investigate the latest and greatest from the different companies

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i run octoprint from an old galaxy s6 i had lying around, works flawlessly.

e: given the absolutely dire supply of decent single board computers, octo4a on an old android phone is absolutely the best option. even if you don't already have one lying around they're way cheaper than a much less powerful raspi at this point.

I have a USB-C otg cable ordered so I can try that method out, too, with an aging Motorola. Most of the over blown poo poo I do is just to kill time. Actually, I’ve got enough old smartphones, I could cludge them together into a wireless security camera network…

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

w00tmonger posted:

I got a stupid big order this morning and am now looking to ramp up my resin capacity a bit.

Anyone familiar with the anycubic m3 max? Huge 13 inch screen which would go a long way for larger prints, but I've been rocking elagoo and am not super familiar with how anycubic operates.

Very happy with my saturns, but I haven't really investigate the latest and greatest from the different companies

It looks like a good machine and the automatic resin filling seems like it could be a really good idea for small businesses that are going to be constantly printing and constantly using the same resin, so you may get more benefit from that than most. Does the large bed fit into your post processing and washing set-up? Looks like they have their own software, don't know if you want to be mixing software around, that might be a pain. Not sure if you have to use their software though, I would think you could use anything?

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Bondematt posted:

Does the thermistor show it ever reaching temp, or does the temp it is showing just keep climbing?

Typical thermal runaway is a bad thermistor, but if it's set to 60 and showing 100 then something else is fucky and probably a failed relay or mosfet.

It keeps climbing to 100 and then alarms. I just replaced the mainboard with a new one. After I sent the last one back to Amazon as defective. The replaced mainboard was doing the same thing.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

This picture I found might be helpful, to look and make sure connections B and E are connected correctly.

Yup all those are connected correctly.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

Yup all those are connected correctly.

That's super weird. The board should be cutting power when it gets to temp, and certainly if it overtemps.

Stock firmware?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

It keeps climbing to 100 and then alarms. I just replaced the mainboard with a new one. After I sent the last one back to Amazon as defective. The replaced mainboard was doing the same thing.

The mainboard controls the heater. If you swapped the heater and the problem remains, the problem is something "you did not change". That's... interesting.

This feels like bad firmware.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006

Bondematt posted:

That's super weird. The board should be cutting power when it gets to temp, and certainly if it overtemps.

Stock firmware?

Yep stock firmware.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Usually the heater is switched on the low side, so it always has 12 or 24 volts connected and the ground/0v side is connected when it's supposed to turn on. If the heater is somehow shorting to ground through the frame, that could do it. I assume it doesn't heat with both heater wires disconnected. Does it still heat with just one wire connected to the mainboard?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It looks like a good machine and the automatic resin filling seems like it could be a really good idea for small businesses that are going to be constantly printing and constantly using the same resin, so you may get more benefit from that than most. Does the large bed fit into your post processing and washing set-up? Looks like they have their own software, don't know if you want to be mixing software around, that might be a pain. Not sure if you have to use their software though, I would think you could use anything?

The resin fill up seems like it'll come into play the one time I'm truly maxing out the build volume but shouldnt affect things day to day. Software wise, I assume I can use lychee and an sd card but I'll confirm that.

As far as cleanup goes, it is huge as hell, but I generally don't wash the full build plate at once so I can work around that

Not sure if I can get a flexplatefor something that big (or if I'd even want to)

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 9, 2022

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006

taqueso posted:

Usually the heater is switched on the low side, so it always has 12 or 24 volts connected and the ground/0v side is connected when it's supposed to turn on. If the heater is somehow shorting to ground through the frame, that could do it. I assume it doesn't heat with both heater wires disconnected. Does it still heat with just one wire connected to the mainboard?

All fixed I did a dumb. I mixed up my power with bed heat cables.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I learned a while ago that USB cables can cause surprising issues. Most recent example is I bought a short extender cable to make plugging the USB stick into/out of my Prusa Mini a little easier.

After installing that cable, I got print weirdness. I don't remember the problems exactly, but known-good stuff started to gently caress up in puzzling ways. I got rid of the cable and hey, problems disappeared.

Similar thing happened with an AxiDraw I had. All kinds of glitchy problems, but changed cables and they all disappeared.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

w00tmonger posted:

The resin fill up seems like it'll come into play the one time I'm truly maxing out the build volume but shouldnt affect things day to day. Software wise, I assume I can use lychee and an sd card but I'll confirm that.

As far as cleanup goes, it is huge as hell, but I generally don't wash the full build plate at once so I can work around that

Not sure if I can get a flexplatefor something that big (or if I'd even want to)

Another option to perhaps think about, and I would have to math it out, is that would it be near the same price, or +-15% to pick up, say, two Saturn 2s instead of theM3? Two Saturn Twos would be about 1100 bucks I think, and would be roughly the same print volume. Obviously you could not do as large single print things, but if you are fulfilling an order that needs 30 orcs or whatever, then you do two plates of 15 on the Saturns or whatever, but if you dont get a big order you have two printers to be pointed at different orders maybe? I don't know the business well enough to weigh in here.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Rexxed posted:

I think with filament dryers you sort of have two options. One is the kind made for filament that holds one roll and can feed out of it in case you need to keep something actively dry like nylon in a humid environment. The other is a food dehydrator which is what the original printdry was made on. I just went with the $40 food dehydrator because it can hold multiple rolls of filament and some silica packs. I just had to clip the mesh out of a couple of the shelves. If I ever did a lot of printing of super hygroscopic filament I'd consider one of the single roll units that you can feed out of.

I've got the Sovol dryer (AU$80), it holds two reels.

Per my last post, I was kind of annoyed by the fact the outlets for the filament are only on the top; this doesn't work with my LACK enclosure as it has to make a sharp 180 degree bend. It probably would have only cost a few extra cents to make another set of outlets on the side, but :china: I drilled my own with a step bit (and cleaned up the edges with a file) which is working fine.

The timer maxes out at like 9 hours or something, would like the option to leave it on continuously. But overall I'm happy with it so far.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I'm not sure I even want to figure out what the issue is, this is just magical.

Edit: A power cycle fixed it :shrug:

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 9, 2022

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Bondematt posted:

the new windows logo is amazing

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

w00tmonger posted:

For my Mega 8k, it’s so big I just hold a tray under the build plate and scrape the models off on to it. As long as I’m sure I get all the chunks of bottom layers off the plate it works nicely.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Nerobro posted:

Remote control is and being able to send prints direct from a slicer is ~critical infrastructure~. And game changing.

Installing it, getting it working.. not hard. At the time it was a RasPi 3b. I mostly used it with my monoprice mini delta.

First off, to get the Octoprint to connect to the MPMD, it required a plugin, to have it connect twice. An issue with the MPMD firmware? Sure. But still "a problem". Bootup time was... in the several minute realm. Longer than seemed reasonable. Klipper only takes a minute or two. I used a high quality, high speed SD card. And tried it a couple times.

So "actual issues". There were lots of things that could disconnect the raspi from the printer, and.. stop the print. Changing settings, even "adjusting things" that should be adjustable during a print. My biggest issue was I had to adjust my slicer to keep the serial stream slow enough to stop artifacting. The solution to that, was to run the file driectly from the onboard SD card. However, moving files to the onboard SD card took.. AGES. Also, at the time (two years ago now?) file management on the octoprint interface was not good. No print previews, so everything had to be done with good file naming. Deleting files couldn't be done as batches.

To get good printing, and reliable printing, I had to just have the printer print from the onboard SD card. If anything happened during the print, and the raspi had to "do something" it would disconnect and stop getting data. Reconnecting mid print, would stop prints. Also, uploading new prints to the print server wasn't a thing you could do while a print was in progress. And at that point, why have the raspi? I stopped using it pretty quickly.

At the time, I did ask for help. I did ~get~ help. It was definitely more trouble than just throwing a card into the printer and hitting print.

this is a bunch of steps of insanity and i dont know how your difficulty was this wild

i literally ran the raspi installer, put in wifi info, connected it, and hit go.

Bondematt posted:

quit printing at a dutch angle

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Deviant posted:

this is a bunch of steps of insanity and i dont know how your difficulty was this wild

i literally ran the raspi installer, put in wifi info, connected it, and hit go.
Yeah, that's a level that should have been all but impossible to unlock. I'm thinking it must have been some kind of incompatible firmware fuckery.

My brand new Neptune 3 is hooked up to an old Pi 2B with a USB wireless dongle and it works flawlessly. The Octoprint UI is a little slower than on a 3B+, but I'm rarely in such a hurry that I can't wait three seconds for a screen to load.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

still seeing this weird diagonal ringing after installing the new hotend on the ender3. No idea what it could be....

Showing up about once an inch. I need to run some pid tuning I forgot to do on swapping things over. Otherwise though, could it be something do do with some extra weight on the carriage with the extra fan/shroud etc?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
That's probably your spool snagging once per revolution

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Deviant posted:

Getting it up and going.. was easy. My issues with uploading files, and transferring to the SD card are still a thing. Though I haven't checked in the last.. oh.. year. I haven't seen nearly as many posts that relate directly to Octoprints ability to feed gcode fast enough. I've run into "slicer fixes" twice. Once turned into a bugfix in PrusaSlicer. The other.. well... I stopped using Octoprint.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I am installing filament runout sensor + upgrading the extruder to metal, I have the X axis apart right now. Besides wiping everything down to remove dust buildup, while I have this apart is there anything else I should look at

edit: :rip: one of the four locking washers on my Z axis, now where did I put that lock-tite

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 9, 2022

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
there's zero need to transfer files to the SD with a working octoprint setup.

nerobro i think you have a bad cable or a faulty pi, your experience is wildly outside the norm.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

there's zero need to transfer files to the SD with a working octoprint setup.

nerobro i think you have a bad cable or a faulty pi, your experience is wildly outside the norm.

It's not the cable. It's not the pi. I replaced both.

This is what I was running in to.
https://chen.do/diagnosing-reduced-print-quality-with-octoprint/

You can do a lot of tweaks there. Or you can upload the file to the printer. Zero need, my rear end.

Edit: I also get the feeling there's some defensiveness about OctoPrint. I'm a Patreon of Foosel, so I'm supporting the development of it.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 9, 2022

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Nerobro posted:

It's not the cable. It's not the pi. I replaced both.

This is what I was running in to.
https://chen.do/diagnosing-reduced-print-quality-with-octoprint/

You can do a lot of tweaks there. Or you can upload the file to the printer. Zero need, my rear end.

Edit: I also get the feeling there's some defensiveness about OctoPrint. I'm a Patreon of Foosel, so I'm supporting the development of it.

i have no idea what that blog post is supposed to prove other than there's also something wrong with that person's octoprint install

nobody's defending anything. i'm saying that your experience is unusual because it obviously is. if everyone had similar issues as you're having, nobody would use octoprint. i don't care who you support on patreon.

mewse
May 2, 2006

insta posted:

Yeah it's something like this

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i have no idea what that blog post is supposed to prove other than there's also something wrong with that person's octoprint install

Have you just never run into the atifacting/print quality issues when switching to octoprint? I mean, good for you. But it's a ~known problem~. I'm glad you've never run into it.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

insta posted:

so whats the move here? reorient the roll or something? the spool Im printing from is almost empty if thats the issue

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

w00tmonger posted:

so whats the move here? reorient the roll or something? the spool Im printing from is almost empty if thats the issue

I think there's more going on there. Best thing you could do is post a photo of your printer setup. There's.. other things going on with that print.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Nerobro posted:

I think there's more going on there. Best thing you could do is post a photo of your printer setup. There's.. other things going on with that print.

Going to see if the carriage was loosened on the rail or something when I installed the nozzle and try a re-print. Fairly normal looking setup. I replaced the spool holder with a printed bearing version up top, and replaced the plastic extruder with a creality metal one. Otherwise its some blowers on a hero me up front, and some extra long extrusions on the z

hmmm, actually the piece holding the spool is a bit flat on one side because of how I printed it. Could it be an artifact from that, in combination with me pushing speeds harder with the new hotend/nozzle?

Capricorn Bowden?

Ill pull out the bearings and see if there's a difference. Everything in here has been in for a bit, other than the 0.6 nozzle which is fairly new and the hotend. Obviously I'm pushing everything harder now though so maybe its catching up with me

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 9, 2022

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

what camera/mount combo do people use for their mk3s octoprint setups?

everything i've tried is too close or at a bad angle or has various other problems. I'm about to just get a desk clamp with bendy-arm and be done with it.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

I replaced the spool holder with a printed bearing version up top

Spool holders that can freewheel without much resistance, like ones with bearings in them, can often be the cause of filament overlapping itself. They'll let the spool rotate further that it needs to while the extruder is pulling, sometimes allowing a coil or three to loosen up, and then as the resulting slack gets taken back up one of those coils can overlap the one that's actually headed for the extruder. Cue much sadness when the whole thing binds up tight as a result.

In most cases, you actually want a little bit of tension at the hub, even if it's just the weight of the spool on a stationary holder. The extruder mechanism on most machines is strong enough to pick the entire printer up and hang it off the filament, so a little bit of resistance *shouldn't* cause any issues. An actual snag certainly will though.

Not saying it's the actual cause of your problem, but it is definitely something to look out for.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I wouldn't think the rotation of the spool would be lined up just right to cause lines across every layer of the print at an angle like that. I can't see the different rotation of the spool and the radius of a part lining up that well for that long. I've been noodling the idea of something wrong with the gantry or belts or something but can't come up with something that would shift consistently ever so slightly in the same direction every time at different layer heights.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

I wouldn't think the rotation of the spool would be lined up just right to cause lines across every layer of the print at an angle like that. I can't see the different rotation of the spool and the radius of a part lining up that well for that long. I've been noodling the idea of something wrong with the gantry or belts or something but can't come up with something that would shift consistently ever so slightly in the same direction every time at different layer heights.

Gantry weighing more exaggerating issues with the z screw? Ender 3 only has a single motor on the z,so maybe some gantry sag shifting across as the layers go up and the screen rotates?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Deviant posted:

what camera/mount combo do people use for their mk3s octoprint setups?

everything i've tried is too close or at a bad angle or has various other problems. I'm about to just get a desk clamp with bendy-arm and be done with it.

I have some kind of cheap webcam that I don't remember the brand of right now and a desk clamp with a bendy arm.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Where can I find the newest firmware for the Ender 3 v2’s LCD interface? All the documentation I have read says it should be bundled with the latest official firmware for the printer on Creality’s website. The current release does not have the screen firmware bundled.

Or am I interneting wrong, again?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

w00tmonger posted:

Gantry weighing more exaggerating issues with the z screw? Ender 3 only has a single motor on the z,so maybe some gantry sag shifting across as the layers go up and the screen rotates?

Got another spool to try? I wonder if it's the filament...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

senrath posted:

I have some kind of cheap webcam that I don't remember the brand of right now and a desk clamp with a bendy arm.

doin this then