Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

RC Cola posted:

The learn to play hockey coach said I'm one of the best skaters in the class and I should sign up for a D league :toot: that made me feel good.

He's part of the Best League Industrial Complex and just trying to get you to sign up and give them moneys.
Big Hockey™ wins again

just sign up it's fun as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I did a stick and puck today. I can finally shoot the puck harder than 1 mph :toot:

I'm also really nailing transitioning backwards and forwards and sometimes I can hold the puck when I do a spin-o-rama and get a shot off. Not that I'll be doing that ever as a defenseman.

I'm going to sign up for the beginner league for sure. I'm very excited to get 20 games of hockey a week. Hopefully getting owned in a game will show me what I should be working on the most. And I've been working on strengthening my core / forearms / back lately. I can already notice a different in my ability to hold the stick!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Welp. Did my first stick and puck since hurting my back last year. Skating felt better than I would've thought but I'm out of shape. Like, badly. I can also tell the numbness affected my right leg and it's fine motor skills. My timing with that leg was pretty affected, making my dominant leg weaker and slower than my non dominant leg. It's come back some but definitely not 100%. I will randomly trip over nothing and I figured I would notice it while skating mostly in fine edge work.

My shot felt like it was still there, needs some practice but it was hard and still relatively accurate. My wife even joined me and fed me one timer passes. The true test is how my back feels tomorrow. I've always felt pretty good while warm and playing games, it's after when the muscles tighten that's the problem. If it's stinging and I can't move, I might have to realistically consider surgery and I won't be playing hockey for another few months.

Regardless, it felt great to skate again.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Glad to hear you're getting back out there after reading about all the junk you've had to deal with the last couple

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Verman posted:

Welp. Did my first stick and puck since hurting my back last year.

Good to hear!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah good poo poo Verman, how's it feeling today?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I signed up for the beginner league! I start in 9 days hurray! The free agent team is going to get whomped on. I heard over the summer some of the guys from the DU championship team showed up as ringers on D4 teams so that might suck a lot

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

RC Cola posted:

I signed up for the beginner league! I start in 9 days hurray! The free agent team is going to get whomped on. I heard over the summer some of the guys from the DU championship team showed up as ringers on D4 teams so that might suck a lot

It really depends on the league, but ringers are something everyone has to deal with at some point. Hopefully your league is one that actually refuses to let players who are too good stay for long. One of my rinks had a team with two ringers that made it to the finals every year, but the league was so desperate for players that they never got kicked out. My other league was so popular that the waiting list was never an option and the only way to get into the league was to find someone already on a team and convince them to let you join. There might be one or two bad ringers every year, but if complaints were made, the league would review LiveBarn footage and often would give an ultimatum to teams: either the whole team moves up a level or just that one player does. I've never seen an entire team move up and ultimately they always pick to let the ringer go.

Also I think I'm finally ready to get back to skating after that guy checked me into the boards, separating my shoulder and breaking my finger back in March. :toot:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Hey good to hear that!
I convinced 2 of my friends who haven't played hockey in 15 years to join the free agent team with me! Looking at past seasons the free agent team is usually blown out and goes like 2-13 every season, so maybe we can get some wings with 2 people who played a bit in high school?

Any chance anyone else plays in big bear ice arena in Denver?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's pretty normal for drop in teams to get completely poo poo on their first season. It might last longer than that depending how much the group changes, either everyone is chill and just likes to skate and sticks around or the NHL wannabes take over and boot the worst players and bring in ringers.

(the first type of group is the better option)

I'd love to live in Denver, too bad it costs too much to be there.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Verman posted:

Welp. Did my first stick and puck since hurting my back last year. Skating felt better than I would've thought but I'm out of shape. Like, badly. I can also tell the numbness affected my right leg and it's fine motor skills. My timing with that leg was pretty affected, making my dominant leg weaker and slower than my non dominant leg. It's come back some but definitely not 100%. I will randomly trip over nothing and I figured I would notice it while skating mostly in fine edge work.

My shot felt like it was still there, needs some practice but it was hard and still relatively accurate. My wife even joined me and fed me one timer passes. The true test is how my back feels tomorrow. I've always felt pretty good while warm and playing games, it's after when the muscles tighten that's the problem. If it's stinging and I can't move, I might have to realistically consider surgery and I won't be playing hockey for another few months.

I'd be interested to hear the outcome of this and, sorry if I don't remember if you posted it here but, what was your back issue? I just recently had my 2nd hip replacement about 6mos ago and was planning on skating again around this time of year but between my hip recovery and July I had to have a microdiscectomy (they cut out a piece of herniated disc that was pinching nerves down my left side) and now I'm thinking should I ever play again, should I give it another year, should I just loving go for it? My doc was like, go back to normal. If what your doing is easy, do more, if it's hard, don't do it. Not much direction there. After I got my first hip replacement I gave it about 6 months and then played from then all the way up to like 2 weeks before my second hip replacement just basically to become a hermit and keep myself away from possibly catching covid and having to push my surgery back and I never considered my last skate would be my last skate. Oh and for reference I'm only 39 with all this poo poo going on so if you're thinking I'm like 60 and it's time to just hang it up anyway it's not quite the case. I'm still kind of young and could still kind of play when I stopped.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

prom candy posted:

Yeah good poo poo Verman, how's it feeling today?

Felt pretty good the next day but pretty stiff. There was a slight pinch in the left side which is weird since most of my pains have been right side.

bigbillystyle posted:

I'd be interested to hear the outcome of this and, sorry if I don't remember if you posted it here but, what was your back issue? Oh and for reference I'm only 39 with all this poo poo going on so if you're thinking I'm like 60 and it's time to just hang it up anyway it's not quite the case. I'm still kind of young and could still kind of play when I stopped.

Woah. Yeah I have a buddy who has artificial knees and hips but he's in his 50s and still plays multiple times per week. He's a Bostonian so he's pretty stubborn. He did just injure a tendon in his ankle and had tried to push through it but had to have surgery so he's out for a while.

I'm 38 and just for posterity, I have a history of herniating my L5-S1 (major) and L4-5 (minor) discs in my lower back. I was playing multiple times per week, mid level beer league.

Incoming :words:
I've done it a few times in the last 7 years or so. First time was 7 years ago, a 7/10 in terms of pain. I was reaching for a puck and got hit from behind it felt like someone tazered my lower back. Intense sharp jolts of pain and no position felt better than the other. I couldn't sleep, move, or walk for 2 days. It took a few weeks to feel back to normal.

Second time was a year before covid, I got hit and fell backwards onto my tailbone. . a 2/10 but left me with long lasting sciatica in my right leg for 2 years.

Third time was the first game after covid (March 2021) I twisted in front of the net pushing a guy out of the crease and felt a familiar pain but on the left side which was new. My doc thinks this was my L4-5. It was a 3/10 but I played through it all last year. I didn't feel it when I was warm and skating but holy poo poo did I feel awful off the ice. I started seeing a PT who wasn't great. I had wanted an MRI from the beginning but my insurance required PT first. Initial imaging would have helped my pt know how to treat my back but I finally got one and it showed my disc herniations.

Last injury was August of 2021, I finished a tournament and played a few league games but the day after I felt a little stiff and got on the floor to work through my routine. I twisted and bam, that tazer in the back feeling but worse. I couldn't get up off the floor. Tears in my eyes, uncontrollable sharp pain in my spine. I couldn't sit upright. I couldn't stand. I could barely last down. 9/10 pain. I tried to crawl to the bathroom and it was excruciating. I was rolling and writhing for several hours before a half dozen ibuprofen dulled it ever so slightly. I couldn't move. At one point I stood up with a chair like a walker when my wife made a joke about looking like I was learning how to ice skate and it made me laugh, which was so excruciating I collapsed. I slept on my dogs bed in the living room because I couldn't move. I didn't get more than 5 minutes of sleep all night. Had to get wheelchaired into my doctor who prescribed narcotics, nerve pain meds, steroids, and long term anti inflammatory meds. The narcotics were the only thing that made the pain manageable. I eventually got a spinal steroid injection which did virtually nothing. I had a flight that week and had to get wheelchaired to and from the plane.

It took months before I could walk as far as a quarter mile or stand longer than 20 minutes at a time. I developed numbness in my calf, shin, and Achilles. My Achilles reflex is dead. Like, gone, and hasn't come back in a year. My dominant leg lost a lot of strength and timing and it's taking forever to come back. My calf also randomly cramps now which it never did before. I did 3-4 months of PT with a new therapist and improved a lot. My daily life feels better than it ever did the last 7 years but my injury feels like it's always right there on the edge of return. Any heavy lift or prolonged labor and I feel it. If I go two days without some of my exercises I'm feeling it.

Surgery (micro discectomy) is basically my last resort. My doc was originally against it but now sees it as the only possible way to return as close to normal as possible. I'm trying to avoid it but at 38 I'm not sure I'm ready to give up all my physical activity (backpacking, mountaineering, hockey, dirt bikes etc). If getting surgery allows me to trust my back again, I would do it tomorrow but I'm nervous about going through with it and getting any negative side effects or zero improvement.

I'm still apprehensive about playing a game though. I worry mostly about other people and the increased levels of exertion.

Anyway, it felt good to skate.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Ah that's funny I'm also a stubborn Massachusetts person.

I basically had all that back stuff you did except on a super accelerated 2 month span instead of 7 years. Bad lower leg pain that was worked through with physical therapy which lasted a few weeks, then immobilized by pain which Prednisone fixed for a few weeks then immobilized again and way worse pain that steroids would not help and pain killers did very little. I could only lay on my stomach for any relief. Doc decided it was slice and dice time and it worked pretty well so far. Still getting back to 100%. Sounds like you've at least had success with other treatment options to avoid surgery, good luck keeping it that way.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

bigbillystyle posted:

Ah that's funny I'm also a stubborn Massachusetts person.

I basically had all that back stuff you did except on a super accelerated 2 month span instead of 7 years. Bad lower leg pain that was worked through with physical therapy which lasted a few weeks, then immobilized by pain which Prednisone fixed for a few weeks then immobilized again and way worse pain that steroids would not help and pain killers did very little. I could only lay on my stomach for any relief. Doc decided it was slice and dice time and it worked pretty well so far. Still getting back to 100%. Sounds like you've at least had success with other treatment options to avoid surgery, good luck keeping it that way.

How long ago was your surgery and what disc/s did you herniate? I'm very curious to hear from people who have had the surgery and what it is like after. My brother in law just got the surgery on the same disc as mine and is recovering now so I'm curious to see how it goes.

One thing my PT noticed was how tight my hip flexors, glutes and hamstrings were. A lot of what we focused on was core strength to even out everything pulling on my back, increasing hip mobility, and loosening up my hamstrings. It was amazing how quickly and seemingly effortlessly my tightness and pain started to go away with pretty small exercises.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Verman posted:

How long ago was your surgery and what disc/s did you herniate? I'm very curious to hear from people who have had the surgery and what it is like after. My brother in law just got the surgery on the same disc as mine and is recovering now so I'm curious to see how it goes.

One thing my PT noticed was how tight my hip flexors, glutes and hamstrings were. A lot of what we focused on was core strength to even out everything pulling on my back, increasing hip mobility, and loosening up my hamstrings. It was amazing how quickly and seemingly effortlessly my tightness and pain started to go away with pretty small exercises.

I had surgery like the middle of July and when they saw me at my 3 week checkup is when they approved me to go back to "normal". I had L4/L5 herniated disc. It was a day surgery, so went home the afternoon after the morning surgery and that day felt great but that was mostly because I was juiced up on all kinds of IV painkillers. The dr warned me the 24-48hrs after those drugs wore off that things would get worse before they got better and he was not kidding. Pain before the surgery was like 9/10 running down my leg due to the pinched nerve but the following days after surgery the pain in my back was a 12/10. Like I did nothing but take oxy and sleep. I was happy that I had a cane from my hip surgery because I actually used it the first couple days after I started feeling better and after I got through the initial holy poo poo pain I was able to recover pretty fast. I was off a regular dose of the pain pills after like a week maybe and then only taking them to sleep and I quit that after like 10 days because I realized I was only taking them because they would knock me right out and not that I really needed them so better off to stop that poo poo while I'm ahead. It'll be about 2 months since the surgery next week and I'm now feeling like I really can go back to normal and not think about, oh is this gonna hurt, is this too heavy, should I be doing x or y aside from going all the way and playing hockey. Let's face it you can play the most non-contact friendly pickup ever and there is still a chance of zigging while the other guy zags and boom open ice collision. I'll say this week is the first week I feel comfortable and safe enough to swing a golf club so I will probably play 9 after work sometime this week, walking and carrying a bag.

E: sorry for kinda clogging this up with surgery chat but it may help you someday. You too may become old, bad, okay with it, but also injured.

bigbillystyle fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 6, 2022

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Well I had cataract surgery at 40, in the midst of the pandemic. Was perfect timing since there was no hockey. Gave me a chance to recover completely before playing again. Luckily I'm good on the back and elsewhere. I always make sure to stretch before every game.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

First time back on the ice since my separated shoulder and broken finger back in March. Felt good, but it's gonna take a while to get back into hockey shape.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I spent the day struggling to force my new local rink to accept my money so I could skate there. Who could have predicted that an industry that is notoriously bad at running websites is also horrible at accepting online payments.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

xzzy posted:

I spent the day struggling to force my new local rink to accept my money so I could skate there. Who could have predicted that an industry that is notoriously bad at running websites is also horrible at accepting online payments.

You're in chicagoland right? What new local rink or do you mean, new to you?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Played game 4 or 5 with my new team in an upper league where I constantly get clowned by people who have played their whole life. We were tied 4-4 with 2 mins left. I got a pass in the neutral zone and there were 2 D-men in front of me, so I just flipped the puck up in the air toward the net just to try to get it deep. It comes down, bounces 2 feet in front of the goalie who went butterfly, and it hopped over his pad for the game-winner :lol:

I definitely feel out of place but that was a blooper reel goal for sure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Verman posted:

You're in chicagoland right? What new local rink or do you mean, new to you?

New to me, I just switched suburbs. fox valley ice is five minutes from me now but getting info out of them is insanely hard.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Played game 4 or 5 with my new team in an upper league where I constantly get clowned by people who have played their whole life. We were tied 4-4 with 2 mins left. I got a pass in the neutral zone and there were 2 D-men in front of me, so I just flipped the puck up in the air toward the net just to try to get it deep. It comes down, bounces 2 feet in front of the goalie who went butterfly, and it hopped over his pad for the game-winner :lol:

That's awesome! I guess why they say to put pucks on net huh

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I got 1 career hattrick in highschool hockey and 2 of the 3 were total blooper goals. Takes a little bit of the celebration out of it but hey, they don't ask how but how many.

1st was a 2 on 1 that turned into a 2 on 0 into the zone, my center completely deked the goalie totally open net to shoot it in and he hit the post. Bounced off the post right up the slot to my waiting stick to essentially pass it into the net. 2nd goal was a blocked shot, I shot from prob around top of the circles as the defender's stick came to poke the puck. The puck deflected off his stick, went almost straight up in there air and the goalie must have lost it in the ceiling because he did not move and it dropped behind him in the crease and rolled in. 3rd was a legit goal, pass from behind the net to me in the slot but the first two were so goofy I was like, welp I got a hattrick I guess.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

RC Cola posted:

For whatever reason, maybe my cold dark heart has thawed slightly, I dunno. But I am ridiculously proud of you and your progress. Enjoy your league, duder! My first league foray is ending (already re-upped for fall/winter) and I have never had so much fun losing. :D

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
We started our season late this year because of compressor issues. And apparently having to paint the logo for the local FPHL. The ice was so thin it was unreal. I swear we were through the paint layer.

I'm taking our daughter to her first ice skating lesson. I'm hoping that she takes to it and we can play hockey together.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

topenga posted:

For whatever reason, maybe my cold dark heart has thawed slightly, I dunno. But I am ridiculously proud of you and your progress. Enjoy your league, duder! My first league foray is ending (already re-upped for fall/winter) and I have never had so much fun losing. :D

Hey thanks! They tore up the free agent team because a 10th team signed up and they distributed us around. I'm now on the team *Slippery When Wet" and they were one of the better teams over the summer. So now I'm worried I'll suck and won't get to play much.
First game is Tuesday at 9 pm and I'm excited. I'll maybe not skate on Monday in preparation to have fresh legs for the game

How did your league go? How did you go? This was your first time playing in a league too? Did you know anyone? I'm mostly nervous about not knowing anyone

calandryll posted:

We started our season late this year because of compressor issues. And apparently having to paint the logo for the local FPHL. The ice was so thin it was unreal. I swear we were through the paint layer.

I'm taking our daughter to her first ice skating lesson. I'm hoping that she takes to it and we can play hockey together.

I'm excited for you! I bet she'll take to it

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

RC Cola posted:

So now I'm worried I'll suck and won't get to play much.

If this is how this team works, you need to find a new team. gently caress that. Everyone pays, everyone plays.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If people on the team end up being tryhard serious, leave. The first couple games might be a bit weird because no one knows each other and I guarantee there will be at least a couple advice givers trying to give tips you may or may not want, but after that if people take frustration into the locker room it's not worth staying. It'll only make playing the game suck.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

If this is how this team works, you need to find a new team. gently caress that. Everyone pays, everyone plays.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Alright I'll report back after Tuesday's game. I found out another guy from my learn to play hockey who also has been skating since June is on the team, so that got me feeling better.

I have no way to communicate with anyone yet though, and I don't know what to wear. Just being a black and white Jersey and hope they tell me what to wear?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bringing a light and a dark is a safe bet, but if the league is run with any kind of competency they'll provide a jersey with a unique color for new FA teams.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Do you have a way of contacting your team captain? There's an app called BenchApp that pretty much all the hockey teams I've been on have used. The captain can just invite you to the team through the app and it'll have a full schedule, chat, private messaging, and ways to check yourself in for games.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Ok, after not skating for a full week before learn to play hockey last night, I think I noticed that my skates are getting dull. Should I sharpen them and then do a public skate, or just sharpen them right before my game tomorrow? I'm thinking doing a public skate to get used to them being sharp again before the game?
Also at learn to play I feel like I panic turned over the puck a lot. Like I'd get it and 2 guys would be charging at me and I'd just dump the puck down the boards to get it out of our zone, and sometimes their guy would keep it in. Not a feel good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's normal, it takes a lot of game time to get a feel for how much time you do/don't have. It sucks if they manage to keep the puck in the zone but it's bottom tier hockey, no one should expect you to be perfect. Just try to remind yourself to take a look before flinging the puck somewhere and you'll get better over time.

As for getting a fresh cut, if you're nervous skate them at open skate first but you'll probably be fine. Unless they really gently caress up the edges and you can't stop anymore, hopefully your local shop has some decent kids working there.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lol after 4 games of our 25-game season, the captain of my upper-level team sent out an email saying people were pissed we had 3 forward lines for our last game, so here’s a list of 12 players from last season who get a spot for next season, and all of the rookies (me and a few other guys) have to compete for the last skater spot. The rest get cut.

This is coming from the guy who rostered 18 plus like 5 subs or some poo poo.

Glad the jerseys were only $30. I’m out.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Lol after 4 games of our 25-game season, the captain of my upper-level team sent out an email saying people were pissed we had 3 forward lines for our last game, so here’s a list of 12 players from last season who get a spot for next season, and all of the rookies (me and a few other guys) have to compete for the last skater spot. The rest get cut.

This is coming from the guy who rostered 18 plus like 5 subs or some poo poo.

Glad the jerseys were only $30. I’m out.

Wow that's loving dumb. Can you transfer to another team mid season?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Wow that's loving dumb. Can you transfer to another team mid season?

Maybe. Not worth the hassle really. I’ll just not play Wednesday nights anymore after this season most likely unless he realizes he’s being an idiot. I still have my Friday night team.

Funny thing is the captain was on my other team and was the one that asked me to be on the team in the first place.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
If you're lucky they have switched to something like the Sparx and don't have to worry about them loving it up too much. I know a few rinks in the general area have started using those instead of the traditional manual sharpening.

As xzzy said, you probably have more time than you realize. Also, if you gently caress it up and take too much time, don't throw your hands up like most of the beer league guys do. Turn around and take it right back from them.

Edit: Roster 12 people and 9-10 usually show up for a game, perfect amount. We try to keep it lean to combat having that many people on the bench.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The skaters on the beginner team I got roped into running have insisted on trying to get 15 skaters, 3 full lines forward and D, for each game. I told them that was too many, but they said they'd all get too tired.

I'm the goalie, it don't affect my ice time, so I just said ok but get ready for the "FUCKIN ATODASO" in 3 weeks when people start complaining about icetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We put 15 full timers on the roster just to pay the bills, and we usually end up with 10-13 skaters. It works out perfect.

Dressing 15 is how you get veteran skaters to stop showing up.