Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Has there ever been a face version of the million dollar man gimmick?

Like a super rich dude who uses his super rich dude powers to screw with heels to the benefit of the baby faces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Defenestrategy posted:

Has there ever been a face version of the million dollar man gimmick

His name is Tony Khan

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Trying posted:

His name is Tony Khan

Tony Khan the on screen booker man is neutral. He rehired MJF and mercilessly trolled impact with schiavone.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Defenestrategy posted:

Like a super rich dude who uses his super rich dude powers to screw with heels to the benefit of the baby faces?

Del Rio was sort of like this when he turned face.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Defenestrategy posted:

this was almost kind of "Smooth Sailin'" Ashley Remington's deal, his gimmick as far as I remember was basically "affable man who owns a boat"

he didn't try to buy people or the like but he would throw an opponent off their game by bringing them a nice fruit basket

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
I wonder if you're associating "Princes of the Universe" so closely with wrestling because it literally leads into a wrestling match in Highlander?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Maybe Okada during his second IWGP reign as the Rainmaker when he was still in the gimmick as Rich man and not colossal dork that also happens to be the best big match wrestler ever

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What are some heel spots which just make perfect sense yet piss people off so much?

I'll never get over how some heels can get a ton of heat just by leaving the ring when they're getting beaten on. It makes all the sense in the world to get out of dodge, slow the momentum and gather your bearings, but it enrages the fans about as much as blatantly cheating.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 9, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

What are some heel spots which just make perfect sense yet piss people off so much?

I'll never get over how some heels can get a ton of he4at just by leaving the ring when they're getting beaten on. It makes all the sense in the world to get out of dodge, slow the momentum and gather your bearings, but it enrages the fans about as much as blatantly cheating.

Similarly dodging between the ropes before a lock up to have the ref back up the face and using the ref to cheap shot the face.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

I'll never get over how some heels can get a ton of he4at just by leaving the ring when they're getting beaten on. It makes all the sense in the world to get out of dodge, slow the momentum and gather your bearings, but it enrages the fans about as much as blatantly cheating.
jay white often collapses to avoid a rainmaker or some big move and it always gets heat even though…. he’s avoiding an opponent’s attack! Why wouldn’t he do that?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jay is such a scumfuck because he had the temerity to research his opponents before the match, just so he can counter all their signature spots.

What a bastard

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

I'll never get over how some heels can get a ton of heat just by leaving the ring when they're getting beaten on. It makes all the sense in the world to get out of dodge, slow the momentum and gather your bearings, but it enrages the fans about as much as blatantly cheating.

The fans want to see a fight and the heel is denying them that

It's also a toxic masculinity thing where the heel is seen as a weak coward instead of a brave fighter

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

Similarly dodging between the ropes before a lock up to have the ref back up the face and using the ref to cheap shot the face.

Toru Yano gets away with this by being a very silly man.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

SG Bamboo posted:

Jay is such a scumfuck because he had the temerity to research his opponents before the match, just so he can counter all their signature spots.

What a bastard

The best part is he usually eats the move later in the match and it get so much more heat cause everyone really wants it than

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Maybe Okada during his second IWGP reign as the Rainmaker when he was still in the gimmick as Rich man and not colossal dork that also happens to be the best big match wrestler ever

yes but he made money rain from the sky he is a giving man

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

jesus WEP posted:

jay white often collapses to avoid a rainmaker or some big move and it always gets heat even though…. he’s avoiding an opponent’s attack! Why wouldn’t he do that?

I love that spot so much. It’s so simple and perfect and the first time I saw Jay do it I think I probably laughed out loud. Why hadn’t anyone done it before?? It’s such good poo poo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

I love that spot so much. It’s so simple and perfect and the first time I saw Jay do it I think I probably laughed out loud. Why hadn’t anyone done it before?? It’s such good poo poo.

Because it's a bad idea to leave yourself prone and defenseless.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

MassRafTer posted:

His opponents are too distracted doing "can you believe this guy?!" body motions to attack

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

When a heel has a small weapon they hide in their trunks but sneak it into their hands when the ref goes to check them. The only time I went to a local show I thought the place was gonna riot when the ref held up his hands to the crowd when he couldn't find the thing they were shouting about.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MassRafTer posted:

A worse idea than being hit by a rainmaker?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SiKboy posted:

Did Okada hit the Landslide first?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SiKboy posted:

Yeah look what happened to Adam Cole when he did it at Forbidden Door he was knocked out legit.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Austin’s theme was a hard rock version of Razor Ramon’s theme, which itself was just a rip off of the Eagles “Those Shoes”.
It's funny what they reuse sometimes. Val Venis's theme was just an update/remix of Rick Martel's theme.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’m pretty sure RVD’s WWE theme was just the Acolytes’ pre-APA theme played at double time

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Has there ever been a match where someone got a 2 count and then immediately went for the cover again and got 3?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Has there ever been a match where someone got a 2 count and then immediately went for the cover again and got 3?

Not quite the same but there was a Chikara match where a heel complained to the ref (Bryce, if I’m not mistaken) that a 2 count was actually a 3 and the ref was like “Oh? It was? Okay, ring the bell!”.

I’ve always wondered if that thing of a person trying the same pin multiple times has ever worked, though.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Surely we all haven't all forgotten the signature win of Freddie Joe Floyd?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufe9SxkwJkQ

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Yesterday, WhatCulture Wrestling put up a pretty fun list video called 10 Precise Moments Wrestling Bookers Lost Their Minds. Basically a list of jump the shark moments for various bookers. For those who don't want to sit through the 12 minutes, here's the list:

10) Triple H: The Cole/Gargano/Ciampa run of NXT where top matches started getting excessively long.

9) Delirious: The endless Supercard of Honor XII.

8) Bully Ray: G1 Supercard.

7) Vince McMahon: Making Warrior champ (I guess because it's him doubling down not on Hulk Hogan, but the Hulk Hogan type?)

6) Vince McMahon again: The Austin heel turn swerve at WM17.

5) Vince Russo: His first episode of Nitro.

4) Hogan and Bischoff: The 2nd Monday Night War.

3) Paul Heyman: ECW on TNN.

2) Gedo: Various failings from the last couple years, but mainly his push of Evil.

1) Gabe Sapolsky: Nigel's never-ending title run amidst other staleness.

While I think there are probably better choices for Vince, I thought it was an interesting discussion. What are your thoughts on the subject, whether it's someone on the list or not?

Like easily the big moment for Mike Quackenbush is the whole Ashes storyline. It killed the company's momentum dead and even when the promotion returned, it was never quite the same. There were plenty of solid storylines and gimmicks in the years that followed, but they rarely ever hit their full potential. Also, the endless title run for Juan Francisco de Coronado did irreparable damage to the top face roster.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Gavok posted:

While I think there are probably better choices for Vince, I thought it was an interesting discussion. What are your thoughts on the subject, whether it's someone on the list or not?

There are more indefensible Vince moments than 6, Austins heel turn is sorta defendable Austin wanted to go heel, his character had been literally doing the same schtick since late '96, and the main event heel selection was getting really really thin. It didn't end up so great, but not "losing his drat mind" moment worthy such as...

WM9 Bret gives his title shot to Hogan.
Wrestlemania 28 - Sheamus squashes AmDrag in 18 seconds to win the WHC
Wrestlemania 30 - Cena goes over Wyatt Family
December to Dismember - Removing Sabu, and not giving the win to either Punk or RVD. Giving the belt to a then green and uninteresting Lashley.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Defenestrategy posted:

December to Dismember - Removing Sabu, and not giving the win to either Punk or RVD. Giving the belt to a then green and uninteresting Lashley.

I agree that these are all worse than those listed. I'd also nominate giving long runs to both Yokozuna and Diesel when they didn't seem particularly over and there were better options available (namely Bret). I was thinking maybe also the Lawler-Cole fiasco at WM27 and WM32 for just being bafflingly awful in general, but the stuff with DBry and Sheamus was a much establishing "haha gently caress you fans!!" moment that characterised pretty much the next ten years.

I think you can debate there being earlier ones for Russo as well. It's just harder to argue because obviously McMahon was still very much in charge during his time with WWF. That said, the period between Royal Rumble 99 and Wrestlemania XV really is Russomania running wild, and then shortly after that you have the Higher Power nonsense. Alternatively, you could argue that he didn't go fully insane in WCW until he booked that awful world title tournament, though granted, that was like a week or two after he started.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Yes! I joke about this with my brother occasionally. Juvi was wrestling on WCWSN, hit a big move, got 2, tried again, got 3!

For the life of me I cannot remember who it was.

Edit: cagematch has him only wrestling on WCWSN twice, once winning against El Dandy (maybe?), and a no contest tag match. But they're not completely exhaustive. And different search terms resulted in a win over Bobby Blaze. But I'm positive I saw it happen with Juvi winning

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 14, 2022

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I was there for the long Nigel McGuinness ROH title run and I guess I'm in the minority because I loved that run. Nigel was loving awesome

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

I was there for the long Nigel McGuinness ROH title run and I guess I'm in the minority because I loved that run. Nigel was loving awesome

A lot of it was awesome but I remember a couple defences towards the end where the perception was maybe it was time to drop the belt. Specifically Steen in Toronto and I want to say Tyler Black, too?

And even then it would have been fine if they didn't have him drop in a weird half assed cross promotion with The Wrestler. And I love Jerry Lynn.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gavok posted:

While you could easily name fifty insane booking decisions by Vince, the Austin heel turn wasn't a bad idea in a vacuum. The problem was that they tried turning Austin heel in Texas, which left the crowd confused as to whether it was a heel turn or if Vince had turned face, and the whole thing never really recovered from that.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Gavok posted:

Like easily the big moment for Mike Quackenbush is the whole Ashes storyline. It killed the company's momentum dead and even when the promotion returned, it was never quite the same. There were plenty of solid storylines and gimmicks in the years that followed, but they rarely ever hit their full potential. Also, the endless title run for Juan Francisco de Coronado did irreparable damage to the top face roster.

That booking was a picture perfect example of why a "hiatus" is a terrible thing for a regular promotion, even if it makes some sort of storyline sense. Reminds me of when Bischoff was trying to buy WCW and wanted to take weeks off to build to a return, to which Time Warner said absolutely not as that time had ad spots that needed running and WCW already owed make good money. Also, it basically encourages your fans to go find something else to occupy their time.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

There are more indefensible Vince moments than 6, Austins heel turn is sorta defendable Austin wanted to go heel, his character had been literally doing the same schtick since late '96, and the main event heel selection was getting really really thin. It didn't end up so great, but not "losing his drat mind" moment worthy such as...

'95 King of the Ring would be my #1. Vince triples down on New Generation cartoony camp in ECW country, sacrifices Taker and HBK to make fuckin Mabel KOTR, and caps it with a heatless house show tag match as a main event. No belts defended on the entire show.

There are so many for Russo; this one's later in his WCW run but it's my #1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZf1QqZmYno

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

A lot of it was awesome but I remember a couple defences towards the end where the perception was maybe it was time to drop the belt. Specifically Steen in Toronto and I want to say Tyler Black, too?

And even then it would have been fine if they didn't have him drop in a weird half assed cross promotion with The Wrestler. And I love Jerry Lynn.
gabe was originally going to have Tyler win the belt at final battle 08. Jerry Lynn winning it was well after gabe was fired. Nigel's run was excellent.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't think I've ever heard anyone try to explain just what the gently caress was going on with the Mabel push.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone try to explain just what the gently caress was going on with the Mabel push.

hes big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'd say most of HHH's worst booking decisions are from before he officially had the book?