Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

RVT posted:

I know it's not loreful, but I actually kinda like it. Don't have the game open right now, but they still have individual colors on their shields right?

Yup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ulio posted:

Last time I played Katarin, it was in the WH3 campaign but Kislev felt so stressful. I did a bunch of starts on normal then went to very hard and man Kislev is just like border patrol vs the world's worst factions. If the VCs start beating out the Empire you have to fortify the south which is another waste of resource but also in the regular campaign the rifts/portals were another issue. Kislev felt like you are putting out fires from the very start. I do like the invocations mechanic it's one of those things that you can use almost every turn unlike certain factions benefits. Warriors of Chaos and Norsca are my least factions to fight vs so maybe that's why I got stressed but its still a fun campaign. You will enjoy it.

rigorous lore accuracy, tbh

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Ulio posted:

Last time I played Katarin, it was in the WH3 campaign but Kislev felt so stressful. I did a bunch of starts on normal then went to very hard and man Kislev is just like border patrol vs the world's worst factions. If the VCs start beating out the Empire you have to fortify the south which is another waste of resource but also in the regular campaign the rifts/portals were another issue. Kislev felt like you are putting out fires from the very start. I do like the invocations mechanic it's one of those things that you can use almost every turn unlike certain factions benefits. Warriors of Chaos and Norsca are my least factions to fight vs so maybe that's why I got stressed but its still a fun campaign. You will enjoy it.

Oh I played Kislev in the big bear campaign, I was just noting that it's even more hectic somehow now. Your crammed in with so many dudes out to spank you. Azhag, Thrott, various flavors of Norsca and Azazel and loving wood elves and maybe Grimgor if you get unlucky. I was just amused to see it all explode so quickly. Kraka Drak went from it's full province to gone in like 3 turns. It's like you have to pick a direction of world to save and hope the rest is there next time you check in. It's it's own colder thunderdome.

Zhulfban was just confederated by Thorgrim, maybe the dwarves are having a good time?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

warhammer overall likes the 'surprisingly deep berserker' archetype, thats what Kharn the Betrayer is like in 40k too. he was the most reasonable guy on the team before he got turned into a berserker and i guess that made him the best berserker or something

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
unfortunate what they did to throgg still, because the cost of revoicing a character is pretty prohibitive

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Seems to be a bug with Tyrion's final quest for the Heart of Avelorn. Alarielle will have possession of the Phoenix Gate, so the quest will be aborted a couple turns after you get it, even if you have a defensive alliance with her. That makes Tyrion's final item impossible to get unless you absolutely bumrush for the Gate from turn 1. Kind of a bummer, my first high elf campaign was pretty fun.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

juggalo baby coffin posted:

warhammer overall likes the 'surprisingly deep berserker' archetype, thats what Kharn the Betrayer is like in 40k too. he was the most reasonable guy on the team before he got turned into a berserker and i guess that made him the best berserker or something

Kharn was a classic case of when the calm and reasonable person finally reaches the end of their rope and snaps, they go way more apeshit than people who are angry all the time anyway.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Took me a bit to realize that wasn't just a piece of rebar sticking out of his arm

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

What's the secret to Vampire Coast? I tried a little Noctilus after a long Beastmen playthrough and they just feel like weaker horde and worse vampires, with all the speed of a zombie army and none of the durability. First dozen turns alone just about put me off the faction.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

What's the secret to Vampire Coast?

it turns out everything in the game is weak to bullets

once you master setting up handgun gunlines, you'll shred everything. there are a lot of different strategies and setups, but basically you're shredding everything with handguns and portable cannon and regular cannon and giant monsters with cannon, usually by holding enemies in place with zombies or zombie crabs while the guns go to work.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

What's the secret to Vampire Coast? I tried a little Noctilus after a long Beastmen playthrough and they just feel like weaker horde and worse vampires, with all the speed of a zombie army and none of the durability. First dozen turns alone just about put me off the faction.

Don't need speed when your whole army is guns.

Sometimes your army can have giant crabs with guns on. Or a boat with gun arms. But it's all guns.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They start out with lovely gun zombies, but with techs and heroes and lord lines they can upgrade them into pretty decent gun zombies, and also you can buy basically zombie crane gunners, zombie ironbreakers, flying versions of several zombie types, and passable artillery. Also they get some decent monster units and magic too.

Basically 90% of your units shoot AP at poo poo, you basically want to spam as much firepower as you can and shoot everything to bits before it can kill you, and if your lovely zombies die who cares you can spawn more on the move.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ghorstgame is going ok. I decided to beat up on another VC faction with my Good Buddies the dwarves, and decided to subjugate them so I could give them a whole bunch of provinces I didn't care about. Next turn my very positive relations with the Dwarves started walking towards -500 because they don't like my new vassal. Probably wouldn't have clicked Subjugate if I'd known that would happen.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Vampire coast are sorta like dwarves but the instead of small high stat units it's huge flimsy ones saturating the atmosphere with lead and also some really kickass spells. Get Big Bess, just enough deckhands to speed bump the other guy and never stop shooting.

Also your other heroes are good but you live on your gunline and the Gunnery Wright is really loving good for your gunline. Get one.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 10, 2022

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

handgunners and mortars, vamp captains and gunnery wights, later leviathans and necrofices

in early game bloated corpses can do good work

strategically, lots of options - you can build tall, build wide, build hordes, use armies and heroes to set up coves, dig for treasure, fight rogue armies...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
big bess is basically an instant vortex spell with however so many shots

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Oh also the other thing to remember with VCoast when looking at stats is that damage is displayed per model and over iirc 10 seconds. So to compare Empire handgunners and handgun gunnery mobs, they fire the exact same damage bullet but gunnery mobs take a tiny bit longer to reload, which is why their damage stat is displayed as a tiny but lower. But! Gunnery mobs have 30 extra models, giving them a pretty hefty damage boost per unit compared to handguns. They have substantially more health as a unit and won't break or run, either. Accuracy might be a tiny bit worse but gently caress it, extra shots per volley helps.

E: forgot gunnery mobs also get that 30% damage boost from extra powder for the first few volleys too. Summary: they're good.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

big bess is basically an instant vortex spell with however so many shots
Effectively infinite because you are bringing a gunnery Wight to keep it fed all fight.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 10, 2022

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Ikit Claw campaign is going...okay. Stupid elves with their stupid wooden bows. How are they out shooting me? I have literal machine guns.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Oh nice, this is all excellent, thanks for the VCoast tips everyone!

Next: Is it a sucker's game to start chomping on the donut like the game seems to want me to? Should I just gently caress off to the high seas and not fight archers before I have units faster than this game's patch process?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Next: Is it a sucker's game to start chomping on the donut like the game seems to want me to? Should I just gently caress off to the high seas and not fight archers before I have units faster than this game's patch process?

Mortars really gently caress up the lightly armored elves' day. Can't dodge mortar fire if you're trying to shoot zombies who get healing from the lore of vampires!

Dogs are nice too, but mortars are the real answer here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Caidin posted:

Vampire coast are sorta like dwarves but the instead of small high stat units it's huge flimsy ones saturating the atmosphere with lead and also some really kickass spells. Get Big Bess, just enough deckhands to speed bump the other guy and never stop shooting.

Also your other heroes are good but you live on your gunline and the Gunnery Wright is really loving good for your gunline. Get one.

Counterpoint: do not get big bess, it can't hit anything.

It is super inaccurate and even if you buff the accuracy, the AI dodges it all the time because it has a super high firing arc and is very slow, and it's expensive to run, you will likely achieve better results with a carronade under most conditions against troops and they can also be used to counterfire enemy arty and snipe out big units.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Cathay's caravans can get infected by, and then spread nurgle plagues around as they travel.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you have to micro and aim it like a caster casting ever 7 secs. unironically

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah and you can also hit stuff with it if you bog them down, but like, it's not that impressive when you could just get a carronade and point it at something and it will reliably knock out a few dudes every time it fires whatever you point it at.

Basically bess only works at close range or against stuff pinned down by a unit, a carronade works at any range, so even if bess makes big explosions you have a much narrower time window to use it in especially as you don't want the enemy to be in melee with you at all..

It a big flashy mortar but less reliable and twice as expensive.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Noctilus of all the Vampire Coast has the easiest time doing anything because his home turf is a giant pain in the rear end fortress the A.I never tries to take. High Elves are gonna be busy running around trying to fight kinky and edgelords you can fight them head on, poke their undefended bits when they have to move to another front, whatever you want.

One to keep in mind is that those Depth Guard units Noctilus likes? They are not a front line. They are deceptively fragile damage dealers that are best committed into hitting someone busy trying to bury your zombies.

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah and you can also hit stuff with it if you bog them down, but like, it's not that impressive when you could just get a carronade and point it at something and it will reliably knock out a few dudes every time it fires whatever you point it at.

Basically bess only works at close range or against stuff pinned down by a unit, a carronade works at any range, so even if bess makes big explosions you have a much narrower time window to use it in especially as you don't want the enemy to be in melee with you at all..

Carronades do their okay. But if you want a satisfying cannon other people can do that for you, better. If you want the biggest dumbest gun in the game to fire off and wipe an entire unit in one admittedly sorta lucky shot, Bess is the only one that can make it happen.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 10, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I mostly use it to shoot dangerous armored enemies that I tie up with summoned zombies, now that the AI dodges mortar-esque fire unless they are engaged. It's also nice when you want to hit something engaged that you can't easily get a direct firing line on for whatever reason and that your mortars won't be great on.

But carronades are good too! Everything with guns is good! Having mortars, carronades, and bess is great since they all have different roles! And most importantly, there is only one Queen Bess and it looks awesome, sounds awesome, and isn't such utter trash that having it around actively hurts my army. It gets a place in my LLs army for aesthetic reasons alone.

E: same reason I used to bring a deeps caster too. Sure spiteful shot is nice for making your early carronades perform well against single entities, but Vangheist's Revenge is such a good looking spell. In WH3 might be less viable with the WoM changes to have that and a vampires caster but drat is it pretty.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 10, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I bought the dumb thing the first time I could but I don't think I would ever do it again.

I've never actually bought a dread saurian either cos I've never gotten that far in a lizard campaign since they added it. I assume they are not as bad as bess.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 10, 2022

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Started as malekith until they fix the grudge meter and holy poo poo DE's are so fun. The slave mechanic is totally fine why would anyone hate this?? I got heroes out the rear end including masters which are just better thanes with amazing skills and traits, my current one gives +18 leadership in a ~55m radius. I have enough heroes to put into armies and just leave around to do hero actions unlike dawi where you're loving struggling to recruit any heroes and they're so generic that you should be sticking them all in armies.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The issue with Bess is that the AI is duking artillery again. The moment that is fixed Bess will be as fun as it used to be.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Dramicus posted:

Does anyone have a mod that fixes the colors for the Knights of the Realm. They aren't supposed to be uniform.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2853758656

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone having the weird mid battle freeze on choke point battles?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Thanks to you and the couple others who shared this. I'm now properly enjoying my Bretonnia campaign!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Arghy posted:

Started as malekith until they fix the grudge meter and holy poo poo DE's are so fun. The slave mechanic is totally fine why would anyone hate this??

It got vastly simplified from its WH2 format, which in fairness was game-breakingly busted. Personally I enjoyed Total Spreadsheets, but I also enjoyed EVE, so, YMMV. The suspicion I've seen around is that they'll revisit the slave economy when Chaos Dwarves come out, since they're the other big slaver faction.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

drat, Imrik starts in a rough spot. The ogres next door declared on me, admittedly right before I was going to declare on them, and before I finished mopping them up the greenskins, Ghorst, and Ku'gath all declared on me too. I'd really be in trouble if I wasn't knocking off Cathayan caravans to keep money coming in.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Queen Bess could wreck an army in game 2 by just getting one good hit on each enemy infantry squad as it approached you while your smaller guns took care of anything with large entities, but I think they might have made the AI better about dodging artillery in game 3.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

The beauty of VCoast is they can do anything they want as long as they vaguely progress towards their victory conditions. They're actually the ideal horde faction and still have options to paint the map.

Don't forget to spread a few coves, at least for hero caps.

The most important early game VCoast math is that every new instance of Raise Dead per turn will have at least 3 melee zombies, 1 handgun zombies and 1 rifle zombies. This means if you lose about 3 melee zombies per turn tarpitting it doesn't matter, you use some of the money you just won to slam recruit them back in. You can also use shooty zombies to tarpit because VCoast zombies in T1-2 are so bad at fighting that all that matters is something holds the enemy back so you can shoot them.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

Queen Bess could wreck an army in game 2 by just getting one good hit on each enemy infantry squad as it approached you while your smaller guns took care of anything with large entities, but I think they might have made the AI better about dodging artillery in game 3.

It's actually the opposite. They nerfed the AI's dodging in WH2 at some point, because it used to behave like this going back to WH1. Whenever they branched WH3 off seems to have been prior to that change, and it apparently never got merged in, so we're back at WH1's style of precognitive AI that knows exactly how to dodge your mortars.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ca version control seems to be perforce, git, sourcetree. perforce almost has to be it for total war cuz asset sizes and it unfortunately sucks absolute balls for branch speed so peeps literally sometimes dont branch and dont do the rapid slap a patch in workflow of gitland and i bet this pretty directly screwed us here

e: oh yeah fuckin branch mappings

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Captain Beans posted:

Anyone having the weird mid battle freeze on choke point battles?

Yup, happened to me a couple times even before 2.1. It eventually fixes itself but ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Calling bess bad is one of the craziest things i've ever seen in this thread.